Robert Harvey

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Robert Harvey

f*** the emotion. You need to employ the best guy.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 8:53pm
saynta wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 6:23pm https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-20 ... 26a68d10b1

"AFL 2019: St Kilda great Robert Harvey to reportedly interview for vacant senior coaching role
AFL

August 13, 2019 10:03am
by Staff Writers
Source: FOX SPORTS

St Kilda great Robert Harvey is reportedly set to interview for the club’s vacant senior coaching role.

According to the Herald Sun, the current Collingwood assistant coach will be formally interviewed in the next fortnight.

Current caretaker coach Brett Ratten has a 3-1 record since taking over from Alan Richardson and remains firmly in the mix to be given the senior role.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 0f12f963e9

"Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley says Robert Harvey is more than ready to take on a senior coaching job as the St Kilda great prepares to interview for the main role at his old club.
Jay Clark, Herald Sun

Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley has strongly endorsed Robert Harvey’s senior coaching credentials, saying the St Kilda champion’s game knowledge is as good as he has seen.

Harvey will interview for St Kilda’s vacant senior coaching job over the next fortnight in a bid to return to the club where he carved out a magnificent 383-game playing career.

Caretaker coach Brett Ratten is in the box seat to remain in the top job after guiding the club to its third win under him against Fremantle on Sunday.

Harvey, 47, has maintained a low public profile in his 11-year stint as assistant coach, but Buckley said behind the low-key exterior was a superb relationship-builder and master tactician.

“If I got hit by a bus tomorrow, he could step up and I don’t think we would skip a beat,” Buckley told the Herald Sun.

“Tactically, I lean on him heavily for his knowledge of the game, but underpinning that is his work rate, because he has never relied on his talent, he was always the hardest worker.

“So, he watches more vision from more angles than anyone I have ever seen, any coach I have ever known."
With Ratts, the club will know what they are getting.

Can Harves communicate to the players and coaches? Can he sell a vision?

For some nagging reason, I just don’t trust Buckley’s judgement.
Yes, my thoughts too. If Bucks went under that bus, does anyone actually believe that they would give Banger the gig? I doubt that very much.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Don’t get me wrong - I loved Banger as a player - right up there with Plugger & Rooey in greatness, but Harvs quiet/shy public image is not what you want from a senior AFL coach. We’ve had to deal with Richo for 6 years who was hopeless “doing the talk” and I’m not confident Banger would be much better.

BUT....I’d take him as the senior assistant coach to Ratts in a fraction of a heartbeat. That’s his forte - and he’s probably one of the best in the business in that role.
Last edited by saintspremiers on Tue 13 Aug 2019 9:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
To the top
SS Life Member

Barker was to be Coach - but unfortunately it never came to pass

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 9:00pm Barker was to be Coach - but unfortunately it never came to pass
Did Clarko play for Hawthorn?
Did Lethal play for Brisbane (or Fitzroy)?
Did Bomber Thompson play for Geelong??

I’m not fussed if we don’t have a St Kilda person as coach.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

satchmo wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 8:52pm
Trev from the Bush wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 8:49pm Which one of Ratten and Harvey would sell the most memberships for the Club? Either of them may, or may not, be an excellent coach but we cannot afford to wear rose-coloured glasses.

The past three ex-StKilda players to have coached the Saints are Grant Thomas, Darrell Baldock (and, yes, Allan Davis during his illness) and the supremo, Allan Jeans. I guess memberships were less important when Gabby took over in 1961 compared to what they are today, but we need a multi-skilled coach who can win the players as well as the supporters.

Glad I am not on the selection committee!
You missed Graeme Gellie
I am losing it! Probably the best 32 game player to ever coach the Club, a true master with the witches hats!

Saint supporter since '62
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 8:49pm Which one of Ratten and Harvey would sell the most memberships for the Club? Either of them may, or may not, be an excellent coach but we cannot afford to wear rose-coloured glasses.

The past three ex-StKilda players to have coached the Saints are Grant Thomas, Darrell Baldock (and, yes, Allan Davis during his illness) and the supremo, Allan Jeans. I guess memberships were less important when Gabby took over in 1961 compared to what they are today, but we need a multi-skilled coach who can win the players as well as the supporters.

You missed Graeme Gellie
And Sheldon (who obviously played for the Blues too) who I personally thought was a good coach.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 9:34pm

You missed Graeme Gellie
And Sheldon (who obviously played for the Blues too) who I personally thought was a good coach.
In that case, add St Kilda football legend Alex Jesaulenko!

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Harvey would be an astute coach.
he’s forgotten more about footy than most would ever know.

Only Riewoldt and Barker are as respected in the clubs history. He is revered!

Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

Let me also add that the last 3 premiership coaches were all assistants under Clarkson.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 9:46pm Harvey would be an astute coach.
he’s forgotten more about footy than most would ever know.

Only Riewoldt and Barker are as respected in the clubs history. He is revered!
Baldock was revered and that did not go well.

If Harvey wins the job then I want it to be on merit for the position and not because the President is a fan-boy of his.

That he played so well for us needs to be largely ignored.

Having said that Harvey from what is said is a worthy candidate.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Baldock actually did ok considering

Coming of 4 straight wooden spoons, 87 was an ok year

Plugger missed 14 games in 88 and Doc blooded kids Bowery, Harvey, Daniels, Fode and played other kids like Rice and Burke who were 19yo

89 they went ok again, but again Plugger missed 9 weeks with a couple of injuries and suspensions.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

I'd rather Harves than Ratten, and rather Ratten than Scott.
And rather Caracella than any of them - but that horse seems to have bolted.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Bruce G McAbee wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 9:48pm Let me also add that the last 3 premiership coaches were all assistants under Clarkson.
And Clarkson was an assistant under Tim Watson.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Torn is the perfect description but lately I can't help but think how much of a better Senior Coach Ratten will be 2nd time around, ala Malthouse was infinitely better after his stint with Footscray.

I believe it's out of Ratten or Harvey but would like to know if they intend to interview anyone else.

My vote right now is Ratten but happy with either.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The thing that bothers me is the stigma...

If we pick Rob Harvey, there will always be this air of whether or not it was an emotional decision regardless of how qualified he is.

I don’t want that. It’s hard enough making it as a coach without that hanging over your head from day one

All that said, I’d support Harvey through and through if he got the job.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

skeptic wrote: Wed 14 Aug 2019 1:06am The thing that bothers is the stigma...

If we pick Rob Harvey, there will always be this air of whether or not it was an emotional decision regardless of how qualified he is.

I don’t want that
Unless he took us to a flag.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Which he could.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Or it could all come crashing down, leaving us back where we were under Richo - or worse.

I understand the sentiment, the romance of the prodigal son returning and so on.

Sentiment’s one thing, but to me Ratts has us on the right track and playing good football. I wouldn’t risk losing that on sentiment.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

i don't know if we're playing good footy. but we are playing with renewed belief - as did carlton and north once the dead wood was replaced. can't see much else has changed other than that - a weight off their shoulders. we are similar to the start of the year form. not a critique of ratts at all - he's just come in as caretaker. if he gets the job we'll no doubt see a real change.
but all this worry about what if harvs fail, it rubs both ways. if ratts fails we'll forever regret not getting harvey. it's a toss up but i reckon the whole place would lift. and again, people listing each player coaches - the only flag we've ever won was under one and a one club player at that. not nearly as glorious a career as harvey, but in twenty years we could be reflecting on how harvey played five times more games and won five times the flags! or not of course :)
if ratts was clarkson it'd be a no brainer, but he aint, and he's no harvey as well. if he doesn't deserve a chance, especially with us, then hell, who does?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 11:54pm Torn is the perfect description but lately I can't help but think how much of a better Senior Coach Ratten will be 2nd time around, ala Malthouse was infinitely better after his stint with Footscray.

I believe it's out of Ratten or Harvey but would like to know if they intend to interview anyone else.

My vote right now is Ratten but happy with either.
Also Ratten lost his son in between Carlton and coming to us. His life is different now but he’s kept plugging away and is a simile age to Harvs.

Agree his past experiences will make him better

saint-stu
Club Player

Harves was a fantastic player, but you can't use that as evidence he will be a great coach. It means very little. We have no idea how Harvey will go as a senior coach and the fact that no other clubs are considering him for the role is telling.

I'm happy to give Ratts another shot. He has shown some real promise so far. I would really hope we're making a huge offer to Clarkson though. He has done it all at the Hawks and we would be the biggest challenge for him.

1ac46a38
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote: Wed 14 Aug 2019 8:30am Harves was a fantastic player, but you can't use that as evidence he will be a great coach. It means very little. We have no idea how Harvey will go as a senior coach and the fact that no other clubs are considering him for the role is telling.
Good points

Sanctorum
Club Player

I'm also not convinced that Harvey should become the next senior coach, given that Ratten, who like Harvey was a great player for his club, has a vastly superior coaching CV and has obviously got the players onside: I thought Hannebery's comments after the Freo game that Ratten has taught him a lot, combined with Tom Mitchell attributing his success winning the Borwnlow to Ratten's coaching, is ample evidence that he will turn the Saints midfielders into one of the best in the comp in 2020.

Bringing more members onboard is hardly a reason to make someone a coach because if the team fails to win then supporters will walk away regardless.

Perhaps the club could consider offering Harvey Director of Coaching which is a step above being an assistant coach and provide him with further experience should he continue to harbour ambitions to be a senior coach in the AFL.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Wed 14 Aug 2019 1:41pm

Perhaps the club could consider offering Harvey Director of Coaching which is a step above being an assistant coach and provide him with further experience should he continue to harbour ambitions to be a senior coach in the AFL.
I would go along with that.