One of the worst umpiring displays I have ever seen

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: One of the worst umpiring displays I have ever seen

Leo.J wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 1:23am
The_Dud wrote: Sun 11 Aug 2019 10:13pm Just finished the third quarter and the umpiring has been perfectly fine except for the one shocker for Dunstan not getting in the back. So I’m expecting to see a free for all in the last to make this “one of the worst umpiring displays ever”!

And anyone saying Mundy was spun 720 degrees is just flat out lying. Did a full 360 then handballed it off, wouldn’t even have made it to 400. Arms free and in control the whole time looking to get rid of it, far from a terrible decision.
540° was what the commentators called it, it looked like that to me.

But what do I know, what is the actual rules on holding the ball Dud?

Gerard Healy seemed to think it was a free.
It was a full spin then barely another quarter, watch the replay as much as you need.

Not sure what the exact rule is, but I bet it doesn’t say ‘once the player is spun 360 degrees it’s holding the ball, no matter what’. I’ve watched a lot of footy and seemed fair enough to me. Plus the same thing happened to Ross half way thru the last with the exact same result.

Gerard Healy? Now is he one of the clueless flog media guys I keep getting told about by people on here? 🤔
Umpires know the rules better than him, and they seemed to think it was fine.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saint64
Club Player

Special wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 1:06am
saint64 wrote: Sun 11 Aug 2019 11:14pm People claiming this was the worst umpiring they have ever seen have clearly not seen us playing the Eagles here in Perth!
That’s true but given it was in Melbourne against an interstate team the roles should be a reversed a bit.

I think the anger is about the AFL promoting someone based on gender not ability. That was self evident today as it was last time she tried to ruin our game
Where is the evidence that this particular umpire has been promoted on gender instead of ability though? We have had the same debates in the past about female goal umpires and female commentators, both of which we now accept without a second thought (and in fact most of us probably agree that female commentators have been a breath of fresh air in previously male-only-commentated sports over the last decade or so). It was a bit sad listening to the booing of this particular umpire on the telecast yesterday. Let's just give her a go.

Special
Club Player

saint64 wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 9:41am
saint64 wrote: Sun 11 Aug 2019 11:14pm People claiming this was the worst umpiring they have ever seen have clearly not seen us playing the Eagles here in Perth!
That’s true but given it was in Melbourne against an interstate team the roles should be a reversed a bit.

I think the anger is about the AFL promoting someone based on gender not ability. That was self evident today as it was last time she tried to ruin our game
Where is the evidence that this particular umpire has been promoted on gender instead of ability though? We have had the same debates in the past about female goal umpires and female commentators, both of which we now accept without a second thought (and in fact most of us probably agree that female commentators have been a breath of fresh air in previously male-only-commentated sports over the last decade or so). It was a bit sad listening to the booing of this particular umpire on the telecast yesterday. Let's just give her a go.
She is incompetent - way below the already poor standard of the others. She’s had a go and has been dropped 4 times. Hopefully a fifth and permanent time after this week.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Lots of questions should be asked by the Saints at Umpire HQ early this week aka <edited by mods>

<1 week ban for culturally inappropriate post>

INAPPROPRIATE POST RULE

There will be ZERO tolerance for any sexist, racist, ageist, homophobic, religiously or culturally offensive, or highly sexually explicit terms or commentary in the Fan Forum or Private Messages.

Such behaviour is a breach and an automatic 1 WEEK BAN will be issued without warning.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
barneyboyz
Club Player

mbogo wrote: Sun 11 Aug 2019 6:46pm This is such a bulls*** thread ... although - the umpires arguing over the worst decision was very funny!
I thought - s*** they are getting a few frees sometime early in the last quarter - but checked the stats and we were 17 to 10 up!!!!
They did the classic evener-uppers - and had zero impact on the game IMHO!
The fact that people on here are complaining when the final difference was 18 - 16 our way, and people blame the female umpire, just makes me cringe!! We should have kicked better and made more of our earlier opportunities!
I have seen umpiring differences of 10 - 30 against us - thread is absurd!!!
The booing was very loud, and to be fair I looked for Eleni on many occasions and she was no where near it. Don't get me wrong, I don't like them very much and find it difficult to see 'live' if the umpiring is any good, but I reckon your other theory on kicking and decision making far outweighs poor umpiring yesterday.

I have seen the 10 - 30 games as you suggest and have called it cheating at times (rightly or wrongly). Yes, we have been wronged purposefully on many occasion, yesterday was just incompetence, both on their part and the players. Both teams need to have a good look over summer :wink:

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Special wrote:

She is incompetent - way below the already poor standard of the others. She’s had a go and has been dropped 4 times. Hopefully a fifth and permanent time after this week.
Could you perhaps mention an error she made yesterday that justifies all this vitriol?

Start a new thread if you don’t think six is enough!

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saynta
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 11:31am
Special wrote:

Could you perhaps mention an error she made yesterday that justifies all this vitriol?

First saints match this year that I have heard the whole ground boo the maggots off. Surprising is the fact that it never happens from supporters whose team has won. Not so yesterday.

The three of them had a poor day. Not sure she was the worst, but seemed reluctant to award any frees to saints players. No such hesitation when she was awarding frees to the shockers. And she was overruled by one of her fellow maggots at least once.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

The umpires made a few bad decisions as they do every week. I'm quite happy to get on their backs during the game and support our team but when I watch the replay they are usually better than I thought.

The only overrules I was aware of were the holding the ball she paid to Marshall which was turned into a dangerous tackle free by one of the other umpires. Maybe dangerous tackle trumps holding the ball.I don't really know.
And there was the high tackle she paid against Wilkie in the last quarter. She was right beside that, she paid the free to Freo and the advantage. It was the other nuffie who wanted to overrule from 30m away and she rightly said it was her decision. The tackle was definitely high in my opinion. Sometimes you get away with an errant hand, sometimes you don't.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 11 Aug 2019 6:28pm
Toy Saint wrote: Sun 11 Aug 2019 6:24pm Thought the umpires were mediocre, but well short of the 'worst I've even seen'.

There were plenty of 'line ball' decisions that didn't go our way, but only 3 or 4 real howlers.
Oh, okay, then 15,000 odd supporters who were apparently lived and booed the house down , were over reacting and booing the maggots off the ground, totally unwarranted.

:roll:
I think it was more like 17,000 booing. Apart from a few hundred Dockers supporters behind the goals in their cheer squad area there were none to be seen anywhere else - not a lot of neutrals around either I wouldn't have thought.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote: Sun 11 Aug 2019 6:24pm Thought the umpires were mediocre, but well short of the 'worst I've even seen'.

There were plenty of 'line ball' decisions that didn't go our way, but only 3 or 4 real howlers.
Oh, okay, then 15,000 odd supporters who were apparently lived and booed the house down , were over reacting and booing the maggots off the ground, totally unwarranted.

There was about 17,000 booing, but still, we won! My take on it is that it is a difficult job umpiring and it was funny when they overturned each others' decisions in the third quarter LOL :lol:

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 12:24pm

I think it was more like 17,000 booing. Apart from a few hundred Dockers supporters behind the goals in their cheer squad area there were none to be seen anywhere else - not a lot of neutrals around either I wouldn't have thought.
Sorry, I stand corrected :wink:
Last edited by saynta on Mon 12 Aug 2019 2:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 11:43am
kosifantutti wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 11:31am
Special wrote:

First saints match this year that I have heard the whole ground boo the maggots off. Surprising is the fact that it never happens from supporters whose team has won. Not so yesterday.

The three of them had a poor day. Not sure she was the worst, but seemed reluctant to award any frees to saints players. No such hesitation when she was awarding frees to the shockers. And she was overruled by one of her fellow maggots at least once.
Like I said elsewhere, you've seen nothing like it since Goodes. Join the dots.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

The_Dud wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 2:56am
Leo.J wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 1:23am
The_Dud wrote: Sun 11 Aug 2019 10:13pm Just finished the third quarter and the umpiring has been perfectly fine except for the one shocker for Dunstan not getting in the back. So I’m expecting to see a free for all in the last to make this “one of the worst umpiring displays ever”!

And anyone saying Mundy was spun 720 degrees is just flat out lying. Did a full 360 then handballed it off, wouldn’t even have made it to 400. Arms free and in control the whole time looking to get rid of it, far from a terrible decision.
540° was what the commentators called it, it looked like that to me.

But what do I know, what is the actual rules on holding the ball Dud?

Gerard Healy seemed to think it was a free.
It was a full spin then barely another quarter, watch the replay as much as you need.

Not sure what the exact rule is, but I bet it doesn’t say ‘once the player is spun 360 degrees it’s holding the ball, no matter what’. I’ve watched a lot of footy and seemed fair enough to me. Plus the same thing happened to Ross half way thru the last with the exact same result.

Gerard Healy? Now is he one of the clueless flog media guys I keep getting told about by people on here? 🤔
Umpires know the rules better than him, and they seemed to think it was fine.
The exact rule is this:

17.6 HOLDING THE BALL [from the Laws of Australian Football 2019]

17.6.1 Spirit and Intention
The Player who has Possession of the Football will be provided an opportunity to dispose of the football before rewarding an opponent for a Legal Tackle.

17.6.2 Free Kicks - Holding the Ball: Prior Opportunity
a) Where a Player in Possession of the Football has had Prior Opportunity, a Free Kick shall be awarded if that Player does not Correctly Dispose of the football immediately when they are Legally Tackled.
(b) Where a Player in Possession of the Football has not had Prior Opportunity, the field Umpire shall throw up the football when a Player, in the act of applying a Legal Tackle, holds the football to the body of the Player being tackled or the football is otherwise pinned to the ground.

17.6.3 Free Kicks - Holding the Ball: Incorrect Disposal
Where a Player in Possession of the Football has not had Prior Opportunity,
a Free Kick shall be awarded if that Player elects to Incorrectly Dispose of
the football when Legally Tackled. For the avoidance of doubt, a Player does not elect to Incorrectly Dispose of the football when:
(a) the Player genuinely attempts to Correctly Dispose of the football;
(b) the Legal Tackle causes the football to be dislodged from the Player’s possession.

17.6.4 Free Kicks - Holding the Ball: No Genuine Attempt
Where a Player is in Possession of the Football and is able but does not genuinely attempt to Correctly Dispose of the football when Legally Tackled, a Free Kick shall be awarded.

17.6.5 Free Kicks - Holding the Ball: Diving on Top of the Football A Free Kick shall be awarded against a Player who dives on top of or drags the football underneath their body and fails to immediately knock clear or Correctly Dispose of the football when Legally Tackled.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 1:58pm
a) Where a Player in Possession of the Football has had Prior Opportunity, a Free Kick shall be awarded if that Player does not Correctly Dispose of the football immediately when they are Legally Tackled.
So the argument has to be - did he have prior - as he clearly did not dispose of the ball IMMEDIATELY. I would say that it was borderline with the prior.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

As Gerald said, "A free kick every day of the week."

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Sainter_Dad wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 2:34pm
freely wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 1:58pm
So the argument has to be - did he have prior - as he clearly did not dispose of the ball IMMEDIATELY. I would say that it was borderline with the prior.
Interestingly, the rules (not just this one) put an awful lot of reliance on what's supposed or not supposed to happen "immediately". But "immediately" is nowhere defined by time or distance. And, in this case, it's directly at odds with the professed intent of giving the player "an opportunity" to dispose of the ball. Like - if it happens immediately, there wasn't an opportunity; if there was an opportunity, it can't have happened immediately.
:|

asiu
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 10:51am Lots of questions should be asked by the Saints at Umpire HQ early this week aka <edited by mods>

INAPPROPRIATE POST RULE

There will be ZERO tolerance for any sexist, racist, ageist, homophobic, religiously or culturally offensive, or highly sexually explicit terms or commentary in the Fan Forum or Private Messages.

Such behaviour is a breach and an automatic 1 WEEK BAN will be issued without warning.
i’d like to officially give this post of Teds dead
the THUMBS UP

good effort Teddles , ya goose.

not that i saw it
but what defines ‘culturally inappropriate’ ?

is that any comparison on the Germans the Israelites or the Chinese and their ‘alleged’ fascist tendencies ?

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 2:50pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 10:51am Lots of questions should be asked by the Saints at Umpire HQ early this week aka <edited by mods>

INAPPROPRIATE POST RULE

i’d like to officially give this post of Teds dead
the THUMBS UP

good effort Teddles , ya goose.

not that i saw it
but what defines ‘culturally inappropriate’ ?

is that any comparison on the Germans the Israelites or the Chinese and their ‘alleged’ fascist tendencies ?
I’ve got a feeling we’ll be seeing a “backfromtheTed” nickname pop up very shortly :wink:

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

saynta wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 12:28pm Sorry, I stand corrected :wink:
did you go to the game???

17000 people cheering the Bruuuuce sounds similar

Seeya
saynta
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 2:54pm
saynta wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 12:28pm Sorry, I stand corrected :wink:
did you go to the game???

17000 people cheering the Bruuuuce sounds similar
They were booing the maggots.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

kosifantutti wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 12:21pm The umpires made a few bad decisions as they do every week. I'm quite happy to get on their backs during the game and support our team but when I watch the replay they are usually better than I thought.

The only overrules I was aware of were the holding the ball she paid to Marshall which was turned into a dangerous tackle free by one of the other umpires. Maybe dangerous tackle trumps holding the ball.I don't really know.
And there was the high tackle she paid against Wilkie in the last quarter. She was right beside that, she paid the free to Freo and the advantage. It was the other nuffie who wanted to overrule from 30m away and she rightly said it was her decision. The tackle was definitely high in my opinion. Sometimes you get away with an errant hand, sometimes you don't.
Agree with you - there were some poor decisions both ways. Think they tried to let the game go a bit. Not sure on the Marshall one, HTB or dangerous tackle? - but she was right in overturning the Docker advantage one.

Watching the replay, IMO umps not too bad including Eleni G :shock:

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Dud, you can't judge umpiring performance after knowing your team has won the game. You have to be in-the-moment where emotions are running high. Even the Mrs (who, like you, always says there are no issues with the umpiring) thought it was terrible.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 4:13pm Dud, you can't judge umpiring performance after knowing your team has won the game. You have to be in-the-moment where emotions are running high. Even the Mrs (who, like you, always says there are no issues with the umpiring) thought it was terrible.
No offense, but I think the exact opposite is best.

Try judge it with no emotion and no ‘dog in the fight’, that’s how you get the most accurate read.

In the heat of the moment you get upset if every 50/50 doesn’t go your way, so you’re basically guaranteed to get upset. You could see it yesterday when the crowd was booing blatant free kicks that were called correctly.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 4:20pm
Jacks Back wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 4:13pm Dud, you can't judge umpiring performance after knowing your team has won the game. You have to be in-the-moment where emotions are running high. Even the Mrs (who, like you, always says there are no issues with the umpiring) thought it was terrible.
No offense, but I think the exact opposite is best.

Try judge it with no emotion and no ‘dog in the fight’, that’s how you get the most accurate read.

In the heat of the moment you get upset if every 50/50 doesn’t go your way, so you’re basically guaranteed to get upset. You could see it yesterday when the crowd was booing blatant free kicks that were called correctly.
Ahhhh - Now it makes sense!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Groovy Guru
Club Player

I thought the umpiring was on par with the standard that has been dealt with the lower ranked matches this year.

No doubt there were errors but worst ever is a stretch to say the least.

I have witnessed far worse displays than that.