Watters

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Re: Watters

Came into the role with a Mark Neeld type attitude. Wanted to show the senior players who's boss, rather than building a culture of inclusion and working together. You're the coach. YOU set the culture, but you don't do it by coming into a role wit pre-conceived notions and wanting to use a big stick because of those pre-concieved notions. That was Mark Neeld's undoing, and it looks like Watters was the same. Interestingly, both had been under Malthouse. Did Malthouse tell both of them "you go into that shitty football club and show them who's boss!"?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Thu 01 Aug 2019 10:36am Came into the role with a Mark Neeld type attitude. Wanted to show the senior players who's boss, rather than building a culture of inclusion and working together. You're the coach. YOU set the culture, but you don't do it by coming into a role wit pre-conceived notions and wanting to use a big stick because of those pre-concieved notions. That was Mark Neeld's undoing, and it looks like Watters was the same. Interestingly, both had been under Malthouse. Did Malthouse tell both of them "you go into that shitty football club and show them who's boss!"?
More likely a yes than a no. Micky Milkshake is a dinosaur,

spert
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Thu 01 Aug 2019 10:36am Came into the role with a Mark Neeld type attitude. Wanted to show the senior players who's boss, rather than building a culture of inclusion and working together. You're the coach. YOU set the culture, but you don't do it by coming into a role wit pre-conceived notions and wanting to use a big stick because of those pre-concieved notions. That was Mark Neeld's undoing, and it looks like Watters was the same. Interestingly, both had been under Malthouse. Did Malthouse tell both of them "you go into that shitty football club and show them who's boss!"?
He came to the club from a club with a winning successful culture and tried to turn the ship around, maybe tried to quickly for the plodding old Saints, but discovered the club sold him a crock of sh*t basically. Too many egos trying to protect their failures and when there is not a unified direction with all pushing the same way, it falls apart. I'm surprised Watters didn't pull the plug earlier.

supersaints2
Club Player

I posted when Watters was coaching, or just sacked that I read a newspaper article that Malthouse told Watters that you to be sucessful you must control everything when your the head coach..( or soemething with tight reigns along those lines.) .. I met MM quite a few times when he was the Doggies coach.. I have said he is a complete dick...of a man

I used to be supersaints but after 16 years my profile dissapeared... ??? if I make any reference to past posts .. it will be under supersiants.. glad to be back on line
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Thu 01 Aug 2019 1:44pm
Too many egos trying to protect their failures and when there is not a unified direction with all pushing the same way, it falls apart. I'm surprised Watters didn't pull the plug earlier.
We needed to rebuild and with Lenny, Dempster, Joey, Sam Fisher and Nick Riewoldt all still performing at a high level in the Watters years it was always an uphill battle for the second tier senior players to justify their spots ahead of younger players

Once Goddard had left in 2012 and then Dal Santo in 2013 it was always going to be hard work to convince our ageing stars that they needed to make way for the next generation

Guys like Farren Ray, Clint Jones, Milney, Blakey, and Kosi had to make way for the youth. Not sure how Gilbo kept getting a contract until 2018, but of course list management isn't one of the Saints strengths is it? Also.....Cho loved his work ethic and he was always 'strong in the contest' I suppose
Last edited by Scollop on Thu 01 Aug 2019 2:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

supersaints2
Club Player

I posted when Watters was coaching, or just sacked that I read a newspaper article that Malthouse told Watters that you to be sucessful you must control everything when your the head coach..( or soemething with tight reigns along those lines.) .. I met MM quite a few times when he was the Doggies coach.. I have said he is a complete dick...of a man,
Look at what he did to try to make sure his heir apparent in Buckley failed... I repeat he is a dick

I used to be supersaints but after 16 years my profile dissapeared... ??? if I make any reference to past posts .. it will be under supersiants.. glad to be back on line
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote: Wed 31 Jul 2019 8:19pm Yeah, nah, he was a total muppet.
Enough of a muppet to oversee the defensive strategy that took Collingwood to the flag in 2010.

Not saying he was the right coach for us, but geez...

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote: Wed 31 Jul 2019 11:42pm Lols! How’s Dal. No culture problem. Must’ve forgot about:

Armo - Duthie
Naked Roo
Lovett
Gilbo - Duthie
Naked Dal
Milne / Joey affair
Nixon - Duthie
The Seaford disaster

That’s not to mention “the Bubble” disaster where the players / coach thought they were so s*** hot they didnt answer to anyone or give a s*** about members / fans.

FMD. What a funny bloke.
Haha, yeah. Dal just casually brushes over that stuff like it wasn't a big deal.

Should have won a flag before embarking on the ridiculous antics - many of which have never been published and never will be - that the players got up to.

FFS, I don't support Watters, nor totally buy his version of events, but I remember that period pretty clearly thinking that we had a leadership group (except for Riewoldt and Hayes) that had completely checked out vis-a-vis their 2009-10 efforts.

The evidence is all there on the walls at all the old nightclubs of the day....Baroq, Eve, Motel (oh, and the Stokehouse for functions)... Heck, the well-behaved Dal could be spotted at CQ - even met his current missus there :wink:
Last edited by evertonfc on Thu 01 Aug 2019 5:36pm, edited 3 times in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Thu 01 Aug 2019 3:02pm
Enough of a muppet to oversee the defensive strategy that took Collingwood to the flag in 2010.

That explains why he is in such demand, being a premiership defensive strategic mastermind. And didn't colonwood sing his praises, while pushing him out the door. I guess they just wanted us to do well.
Scotty is best suited to the meedya. Talks a good game.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
saynta
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote: Thu 01 Aug 2019 3:19pm

That explains why he is in such demand, being a premiership defensive strategic mastermind. And didn't colonwood sing his praises, while pushing him out the door. I guess they just wanted us to do well.
Bit like the drug cheats and that dead s*** Lovett.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Thu 01 Aug 2019 3:05pm
suss wrote: Wed 31 Jul 2019 11:42pm Lols! How’s Dal. No culture problem. Must’ve forgot about:

Armo - Duthie
Naked Roo
Lovett
Gilbo - Duthie
Naked Dal
Milne / Joey affair
Nixon - Duthie
The Seaford disaster

That’s not to mention “the Bubble” disaster where the players / coach thought they were so s*** hot they didnt answer to anyone or give a s*** about members / fans.

FMD. What a funny bloke.
Haha, yeah. Dal just casually brushes over that stuff like it wasn't a big deal.

Should have won a flag before embarking on the ridiculous antics - many of which have never been published and never will be - that the players got up to.

FFS, I don't support Watters, nor totally buy his version of events, but I remember that period pretty clearly thinking that we had a leadership group (except for Riewoldt and Hayes) that had completely checked out vis-a-vis their 2009-10 efforts.

The evidence is all there at all the old nightclubs of the day....Baroq, the old Motel, the Stokehouse. Heck, Dal used to lap it up at CQ - even met his current missus there :wink:
In fairness Duthie and the naked photos was all one incident that dragged on
Nixon had nothing to do with us
Lovett was with the club for a cup of coffee
Milne and Monty was almost 8 years before Watters arrived and complicated

suss
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Thu 01 Aug 2019 4:56pm

Armo - Duthie
Naked Roo
Lovett
Gilbo - Duthie
Naked Dal
Milne / Joey affair
Nixon - Duthie
The Seaford disaster

FMD. What a funny bloke.

The evidence is all there at all the old nightclubs of the day....Baroq, the old Motel, the Stokehouse. Heck, Dal used to lap it up at CQ - even met his current missus there :wink:
Yeah, a few of those were related to Duffie but it still involved a few players doing stupid things. I didn't list the renting / burning of the dwarf and a few other things evertonfc touched on. It seemed like debacle after debacle throughout that period. I was constantly copping s*** from my mates who support other clubs.

And I hope the club is careful about listening too much to Dal, Joey and Roo about bringing Lyon back. They have a certain view of him that isn't representative of everyone who played at the club back then. The club has become much more open and member-friendly since the bubble was decommissioned and some of the egos moved on.

Crossy66
Club Player

suss wrote: Thu 01 Aug 2019 5:49pm

Armo - Duthie
Naked Roo
Lovett
Gilbo - Duthie
Naked Dal
Milne / Joey affair
Nixon - Duthie
The Seaford disaster

FMD. What a funny bloke.

Yeah, a few of those were related to Duffie but it still involved a few players doing stupid things. I didn't list the renting / burning of the dwarf and a few other things evertonfc touched on. It seemed like debacle after debacle throughout that period. I was constantly copping s*** from my mates who support other clubs.

And I hope the club is careful about listening too much to Dal, Joey and Roo about bringing Lyon back. They have a certain view of him that isn't representative of everyone who played at the club back then. The club has become much more open and member-friendly since the bubble was decommissioned and some of the egos moved on.
So you think this stuff only happens at stkilda?
Btw, the dwarf thing is one of the funniest afl moments ever!

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

are you saying SW was sacked ? will you say the same if Harvey comes to us?

Seeya
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Thu 01 Aug 2019 7:07pm

are you saying SW was sacked ? will you say the same if Harvey comes to us?
They didn't sack him. They encouraged him to pursue a better offer. Happily waving goodbye as he strolled out the door.

*Allegedly.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 01 Aug 2019 2:38pm
Too many egos trying to protect their failures and when there is not a unified direction with all pushing the same way, it falls apart. I'm surprised Watters didn't pull the plug earlier.
We needed to rebuild and with Lenny, Dempster, Joey, Sam Fisher and Nick Riewoldt all still performing at a high level in the Watters years it was always an uphill battle for the second tier senior players to justify their spots ahead of younger players

Once Goddard had left in 2012 and then Dal Santo in 2013 it was always going to be hard work to convince our ageing stars that they needed to make way for the next generation

Guys like Farren Ray, Clint Jones, Milney, Blakey, and Kosi had to make way for the youth. Not sure how Gilbo kept getting a contract until 2018, but of course list management isn't one of the Saints strengths is it? Also.....Cho loved his work ethic and he was always 'strong in the contest' I suppose
Wonder if in hindsight we should have kept BJ, Ben, Dal and even Rhys? Surely we couldn't have done any worse.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Thu 01 Aug 2019 7:17pm
Scollop wrote: Thu 01 Aug 2019 2:38pm

Wonder if in hindsight we should have kept BJ, Ben, Dal and even Rhys? Surely we couldn't have done any worse.
A couple of things needed to happen and I reckon we could have gone all the way again post RL. The senior players needed to stop sooking about Seaford and pining for their previous coach, AND we needed someone/anyone to initiate talks with players to restructure player payments in 2012/2013 and beyond

I think there's no doubt the wankers that were brought in to 'fix' the salary cap issues fukd the club's chances of being a contender. The clubs who are run by competent administrators have shown us in recent years that you CAN renegotiate players salaries to accommodate star players

supersaints2
Club Player

Efc... I do know Mick... the dick

The defensive strategy was
A: pinched from Lyon and modified slightly
B: it was only Max and Bally who gave Mick the dick our forward statagy to allow him to plan accordingly, then there was the very suspicious , Ross Lyons laptop being stolen... I will leave that to your imagination

Besides all these things going for him , just a lucky bounce ( or more correctly Milne waiting for the ball to bounce up ) Got him a flag... After The replay all the team showed Blood oxygen levels way above normal .. but the AFL turned a blind eye.... I will make no more comment

Mick ain't no super coach... He had a side with Wet toast that could have won 4 flags and he should have had 2-3 premierships with Collingwood

He shafted the Pies when he left and sent the Blues backward 5 years...

He is old news, irrelevant and past it,A dick of the best order

He called Milne a rapist... you didn't need to be deaf to read his lips.. he then lied about it

saynta
Saintsational Legend

supersaints2 wrote: Thu 01 Aug 2019 8:41pm

Efc... I do know Mick... the dick

The defensive strategy was
A: pinched from Lyon and modified slightly
B: it was only Max and Bally who gave Mick the dick our forward statagy to allow him to plan accordingly, then there was the very suspicious , Ross Lyons laptop being stolen... I will leave that to your imagination

Besides all these things going for him , just a lucky bounce ( or more correctly Milne waiting for the ball to bounce up ) Got him a flag... After The replay all the team showed Blood oxygen levels way above normal .. but the AFL turned a blind eye.... I will make no more comment

Mick ain't no super coach... He had a side with Wet toast that could have won 4 flags and he should have had 2-3 premierships with Collingwood

He shafted the Pies when he left and sent the Blues backward 5 years...

He is old news, irrelevant and past it,A dick of the best order

He called Milne a rapist... you didn't need to be deaf to read his lips.. he then lied about it
All true.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

After GF 2010 replay, it wasn't blood O2 levels.
10 Filth players had elevated Human Growth Hormone and Testosterone levels.
Borderline high, very suspect.
Media went all quiet.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Armo - Duthie
Naked Roo
Lovett
Gilbo - Duthie
Naked Dal
Milne / Joey affair
Nixon - Duthie
The Seaford disaster

FMD. What a funny bloke.

Damn straight. Imagine if dear old Ross have invested a bit of time into developing J Cripps; T Lynch; J Steven; D Armitage? Can’t help but think they’d not have been better than the bottom end of our teams of that period.

Go you red, black & white warriors
suss
Club Player

Crossy66 wrote: Thu 01 Aug 2019 6:08pm

Armo - Duthie
Naked Roo
Lovett
Gilbo - Duthie
Naked Dal
Milne / Joey affair
Nixon - Duthie
The Seaford disaster

FMD. What a funny bloke.

I never made that suggestion. I was only responding to Nick Dal Santo’s claim there were no leadership problems at the club while he was there.

I do think that we set the bar pretty high though. Who rents a dwarf and sets him on fire for gods sake.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

WellardSaint wrote: Thu 01 Aug 2019 11:05pm After GF 2010 replay, it wasn't blood O2 levels.
10 Filth players had elevated Human Growth Hormone and Testosterone levels.
Borderline high, very suspect.
Media went all quiet.
no they didnt else you wouldnt even know about wada test results
the fact that results that were within normal limits was even reported publicly goes against saying the media went all quiet

Anyway back on the gist of the thread I was watching the front bar last night and they had multi club coach Denis Pagan
and his comments about this time at his time at carlton mirrored what was happened to watters at saints
Pagan said he entered a fractured club and had to make some tough calls
A got a few of the older players offside and club officials sided with players and he was done
Mentioned twice that coaching isnt a popularity contest - its all about respect
Same coach moves to North - poorer resourced club - same attitude - and look at the success

Seeya
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote: Fri 02 Aug 2019 1:32am
Crossy66 wrote: Thu 01 Aug 2019 6:08pm

Armo - Duthie
Naked Roo
Lovett
Gilbo - Duthie
Naked Dal
Milne / Joey affair
Nixon - Duthie
The Seaford disaster

FMD. What a funny bloke.

I never made that suggestion. I was only responding to Nick Dal Santo’s claim there were no leadership problems at the club while he was there.

I do think that we set the bar pretty high though. Who rents a dwarf and sets him on fire for gods sake.
To be fair, I don't think that they intended to set the dwarf on fire when they rented him. But the fact that a dwarf was available to rent suggests that there is some sort of demand. At any rate it wasn't exactly a moment of glory for the club. It does illustrate how popular scotty was though.

*Allegedly.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

remember being quite proud of the club, willing to grasp the knife and chop him
thought at the time, it was very unlike us

we're more inclined to give an under performer a 2 year extension based on a "vibe"

and look how far we've come