Changes next week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes next week

Newnes play in the third where he was running forward around the center and had an opportunity to bend down, pick up the ball and beat his man to send it forward but instead tried to kick it off the ground, missed it completely and turned it over was a stinker...
The % play for the team was to pick the ball up.

Could almost be dropped for that alone... simply a terrible effort

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2019 3:46pm
saintsRrising wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2019 3:29pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2019 3:12pm I

Acres will be gone..
Why? He played out the game.

Looking at the Sandy game today the main 2 that have pushed the cases are Battle and Steven.

With Lynch the Crows have 3 tall forwards and I think Coffield will struggle if he has to take on any of them.

Who the Outs will be will be hard as no one deserves.

Newnes was quiet again and if Steven is coming in it is to run.
Battle for say Paton or Coffield. I would like to get some ore games into Coffield though. Paton may be a better much up on the Crows smalls though.
Re Acres...sorry. You may be right. I saw a strapped right shoulder, then I saw him go down, crunch! , on the left shoulder, then winding in pain, with an immobile shoulder, on the bench. I assumed he had been given a pain shot and will be very sore, so ...my bad assumption perhaps..
I spoke to Acres at Sandy today. He looked fine and said he'd be right for next week.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2019 4:11pm I am going to stick up for Newnes.

He was given a specific role, according to Ratts.

Act as a defensive forward and shutdown Salem who normally gives the Dees plenty of rebound off the backline.

Newnes did his job and Salem was moved.

You may be right. Ratts may play him on Laird. Newnes did shut down JJ the week prior.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2019 4:28pm Newnes play in the third where he was running forward around the center and had an opportunity to bend down, pick up the ball and beat his man to send it forward but instead tried to kick it off the ground, missed it completely and turned it over was a stinker...
The % play for the team was to pick the ball up.

Could almost be dropped for that alone... simply a terrible effort
Dropping him would certainly send a message. It was soft, uninspiring and selfish. Someone should point it out to him because everybody saw it. He used to be courageous but use to be don't count anymore.

HighettMan
Club Player

I hope Betts plays, the question is which one of our players thinks they can beat a 32yo legend of the game that is seriously dropping away at the moment. I doubt anyone that gets picked to play on him will fear him and will be very confident of beating him.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
To the top
SS Life Member

When we played Adelaide at Docklands earlier this season they gave us a lesson by out marking us all over the ground.

No doubt they will again look for the same outcome.

We now have Carlisle and I can see Battle being added to our defense.

Interesting last night was Carlisle being moved forward just prior to half time - and again later in the game (noting Melbourne attempted to nullify him by not having a direct match up and taking him out of the corridor)

So will we see either of Carlisle or Battle attempting to disrupt by periodically moving forward v Adelaide?

Coffield got found out a couple of times but will benefit for the experience - I would not be considering dropping him.

So who goes out, particularly if they want the experience of Hanneberry and Steven in Adelaide and promote Battle on class alone?

I thought Paton performed well.

Langlands and Hinds made some contributions but maybe not enough to stay in the side to Adelaide.

I understand excitement because they (and Parker) are first year players but, to me, they have a very long way to go.

Savage did not get much of it as did not Newnes

But, as some have covered off on, we are not privy to the role set for players.

To rely on "Champion Data" in evaluating contribution is a nonsense

The pleasing stat to me is that we are winning games AND having players recognized in BOG voting.

If you have the best 3 on ground you don't often lose the game.

Plus you look at the spread of players mentioned in BOG comment on sites such as this.

So if someone is quiet (or negated because of profile) someone else stands up.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

HighettMan wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2019 6:29pm I hope Betts plays, the question is which one of our players thinks they can beat a 32yo legend of the game that is seriously dropping away at the moment. I doubt anyone that gets picked to play on him will fear him and will be very confident of beating him.
I suspect whoever does get him will be smart enough to show him more respect than that...otherwise he'll kick 6 against us.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Act as a defensive forward and shutdown Salem who normally gives the Dees plenty of rebound off the backline.

I think it is going to be tough to make any changes to this side especially when it's winning games of footy.

That doesn't mean there won't be changes. But whoever gets dropped, will be a tough selection decision IMO.
Salem had 24 touches and gained more metres than any other Melbourne player. He was the 4th highest ranked Demon on the ground. Newnes was the lowest ranked St Kilda player. He was good on Johannisen, but not last night. Some of his errors would have been appalling at under 12s level. The bloke can play, but he has zero confidence right now and is simply a passenger.

HighettMan
Club Player

degruch wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2019 7:15pm
HighettMan wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2019 6:29pm I hope Betts plays, the question is which one of our players thinks they can beat a 32yo legend of the game that is seriously dropping away at the moment. I doubt anyone that gets picked to play on him will fear him and will be very confident of beating him.
I suspect whoever does get him will be smart enough to show him more respect than that...otherwise he'll kick 6 against us.
Well clearly you aren't going to teleport your confidence but I'd like to think the professional athletes at our club going into a contest thinking they can win.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
Bowey Boy
Club Player

Nobody who played for Sandy today deserves a senior game.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
DownAtTheJunction
Club Player

axcellence wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2019 7:39am Webster in for Coffield
Battle in for Brown
Hanneberry in for Newnes/Paton
Steven in for Langlands

Let’s not kid ourselves. Melbourne would have won the wooden spoon had it not been for the Gold Coast bye team.

Need the best to beat the crows.
I agree with the proviso that these players have not played senior football in a while.
I think
Steven has missed the last 13
Webster has missed the last 11
Hannebery has missed the last 4
Battle has missed the last 3

Steven, Webster and Hannebery have played very little football in 2019.
They'd need to be cherry ripe.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sat 27 Jul 2019 11:20pm Parker in for Newnes
White in for Savage
Newnes was excellent again in the defensive forward role.

Did a great job on Salem.

Savage, Hind, Coffield, Langlangs and Patton are vulnerable based purely on output. However given we should be about development, only Savage should be concerned.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Beno88 wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2019 7:25pm

I think it is going to be tough to make any changes to this side especially when it's winning games of footy.

That doesn't mean there won't be changes. But whoever gets dropped, will be a tough selection decision IMO.
Salem had 24 touches and gained more metres than any other Melbourne player. He was the 4th highest ranked Demon on the ground. Newnes was the lowest ranked St Kilda player. He was good on Johannisen, but not last night. Some of his errors would have been appalling at under 12s level. The bloke can play, but he has zero confidence right now and is simply a passenger.
Salem did no damage whatsoever.

Newnes is not a bad footballer. He's quite good. Like many of them, he just needs to be played to his strengths.

Cho couldn't comprehend this.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Newnes has no real strengths, his is the very definition of a GOP

His strength was his hard gut running, he no longer has that aerobic ability, I’m telling you, he’s 5kg too heavy. He needs to cut down on the weights, trim down and get back into the top 5 at the club over 3k.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Steven and Webster will be looked at closely. As will Battle.

Out of

Langlands, Coffield, Savage, Newnes who are the ones who’ll probably make way

Special
Club Player

Steven looked a bit overweight to me.

I don’t think he’s got the match fitness yet to play in Radelaide. One more week at Sandy.

Josh The Battle should be the one to replace Whooping

suss
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2019 10:34pm Newnes has no real strengths, his is the very definition of a GOP

His strength was his hard gut running, he no longer has that aerobic ability, I’m telling you, he’s 5kg too heavy. He needs to cut down on the weights, trim down and get back into the top 5 at the club over 3k.
Maybe his battling with injury or is unfit but some of his off the ball running was insipid. Shouldn’t be playing seniors footy.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Langlands has been good, not sure why so many wanting him to be omitted.

Newnes and Savage out

Phillips and White in

saintbob
SS Life Member

Langlands has been good, not sure why so many wanting him to be omitted.

Newnes and Savage out

Phillips and White in

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

if the best use of a player is simply to nullify the likes of salem then a better use would be play him at sandy and replace him with the likes of parker, hannas, steven, battle, white, phillips, webster, heck even rice. take your pick.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

To win we need to close down Lynch and Betts (if he comes back in)

Does Battle have the stamina for Lynch, I don't think Coffield would have the strength for Lynch, is White big enough for Lynch

Does Webster (if ready ) come in for Eddie, otherwise who else, maybe Savage, certainly not Paton

I think Langlands (shows great promise) out for Parker, need more forward pressure against Laird and Smith.

Newnes stays in for mine

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote: Mon 29 Jul 2019 12:58am Langlands has been good, not sure why so many wanting him to be omitted.

Newnes and Savage out

Phillips and White in
Second week in a row that the coach was a big wrap for Newnes, so I don't think so.

bigguy

Is it all about winning in Adelaide...or is it about development? Can we do both? No doubt Ratts will be hell bent on winning. I reckon changes will be minimal...1 or 2 at best. They'll want to show faith in newbies like Langlands and Hind who are quick...an asset against Adelaide who have been down on pace recently. (Though Barassi once said it's amazing how much quicker teams are when they've got the ball...) But it's true, they don't get a lot of the ball...yet!
Not sure that they'd risk more than 1 player who's coming back after a long lay off and who might not be able to run out the game. Match ups are important - Lynch is a tough one. Why did we ever let him go? I remember his first game for us - towelled up by wily Dustin Fletcher. Talk about being thrown to the wolves...