LENNY HAYES

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Re: LENNY HAYES

barks4eva wrote: Tue 23 Jul 2019 1:01pm I select Lenny Hayes above all other candidates if he himself thinks he is ready and applies for the job.

Sometimes the best option is right there in front of everyone and is not recognised.

Luke Beveridge was available when Richardson was appointed.
A bit like Chelsea appointing Frank Lampard after only a single season managing a Championship side B4E?

Go you red, black & white warriors
Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

One game does not make a coach. I too think Lenny has a huge upside as our new coach for 2020.
However, if we play great football and win most of our games left, especially if we knock off either Adelaide and Sydney interstate, and especially if we do both, Ratten will have an excellent claim to the job if he wants it.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Wed 24 Jul 2019 12:01pm
barks4eva wrote: Tue 23 Jul 2019 1:01pm I select Lenny Hayes above all other candidates if he himself thinks he is ready and applies for the job.

Sometimes the best option is right there in front of everyone and is not recognised.

Luke Beveridge was available when Richardson was appointed.
A bit like Chelsea appointing Frank Lampard after only a single season managing a Championship side B4E?
Yep

I know many think he's only been an assistant for only four years... still that is FOUR YEARS and he played under Ross Lyon for five years which would have been a great learning curve.

I think he would bring the Yurgen Klopp vibe to St.kilda.

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
derby Street
Club Player

desertsaint wrote: Tue 23 Jul 2019 4:18pm Lenny did his apprenticeship under Leon Cameron, Harvey under Buckley, Ratts did his second under Clarkson. Big difference in learning experience there.
Would love Harvs and Lenny back here. Happy with any of those three.
Geez I wouldn't be hanging my hat on serving an apprenticeship under Leon Cameron. At least under Clarkson you would be learning something.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I think Ratts has the perfect credentials.
Would love to see Lenny back at the Saints filling the assistant role vacated by Ratts and Rooey on the Board.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote: Wed 24 Jul 2019 4:55pm I think Ratts has the perfect credentials.
Would love to see Lenny back at the Saints filling the assistant role vacated by Ratts and Rooey on the Board.
Yep, I'm leaning to Ratts. Has the best credentials of all the assistants.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

derby Street wrote: Wed 24 Jul 2019 4:30pm
desertsaint wrote: Tue 23 Jul 2019 4:18pm Lenny did his apprenticeship under Leon Cameron, Harvey under Buckley, Ratts did his second under Clarkson. Big difference in learning experience there.
Geez I wouldn't be hanging my hat on serving an apprenticeship under Leon Cameron. At least under Clarkson you would be learning something.
exactly.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Wed 24 Jul 2019 8:15pm
exactly.
Lenny Hayes played under Ross Lyon for five years.

If WADA had of banned the performance enhancing injecting practice utilised by Paul Chapman prior to the 2009 Grand Final and not three months after the Grand Final, Paul Chapman would not have been the match winner and Norm Smith Medalist in that Grand Final.

Not forgetting Geelong supporter Sean Ryan's blatant cheating in the last quarter of the 2009 Grand Final.
Also not forgetting the goal umpiring mistake which cost two goals when Geelong kicked another one straight out of the centre 20 seconds later.

A bounce of the ball a year later was desperately unlucky...also not forgetting half the Collingwood team tested positive for elevated levels of performance enhancing substances.

All things considered Ross Lyon is very unlucky to not already be a dual premiership coach.

Five years under Lyon should not be dismissed and deflecting with that Leon Cameron reference is being disingenuous.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I know these things are edited but Lenny seemed a bit quiet in the footage that they showed of the GWS coaching meetings. Not greatly impressed by Cameron but seriously, who would know.

I also think we need to get over the bias of thinking that an ex-player is going to be the club’s saviour just because they are an ex-player, albeit club legend.

I think Ratts is our man for at least the next 2-3 seasons. Ratt’s substantive position will also need to be filled so get another good senior assistant around him whoever that is.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

How is all the love on here for Ratten going to look if St.kilda get pantsed by Melbourne ?

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote: Wed 24 Jul 2019 9:18pm How is all the love on here for Ratten going to look if St.kilda get pantsed by Melbourne ?
Either way it is going to be interesting.
If we finish the season strongly...Ratten might be the one we want, but culton might make him an offer.
If we revert to our earlier form...will it be Ratt's fault or richo's?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Ross, good match day coach, tactically astute, good team coach.

Made it to 3 grand Finals, but with a plethora of stars in those sides and his trademark role players

Reiwoldt, Dal Santo, Goddard, Hayes, Montagna, Fisher, Milne, Baker

Fyfe, Sandilands, Pavlich, Hill, McPharlin, Johnson, Walters, Neale

When you think about it, it’d be poor not to make GFs with those players

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Sometimes you learn more when you learn what not to do.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote: Wed 24 Jul 2019 8:45pm
exactly.

If WADA had of banned the performance enhancing injecting practice utilised by Paul Chapman prior to the 2009 Grand Final and not three months after the Grand Final, Paul Chapman would not have been the match winner and Norm Smith Medalist in that Grand Final.

Not forgetting Geelong supporter Sean Ryan's blatant cheating in the last quarter of the 2009 Grand Final.
Also not forgetting the goal umpiring mistake which cost two goals when Geelong kicked another one straight out of the centre 20 seconds later.

A bounce of the ball a year later was desperately unlucky...also not forgetting half the Collingwood team tested positive for elevated levels of performance enhancing substances.

All things considered Ross Lyon is very unlucky to not already be a dual premiership coach.

Five years under Lyon should not be dismissed and deflecting with that Leon Cameron reference is being disingenuous.
stevie baker did five years under lyon, let's get him.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Thu 25 Jul 2019 1:11am
barks4eva wrote: Wed 24 Jul 2019 8:45pm
exactly.

stevie baker did five years under lyon, let's get him.
Now you're just being ridiculous.

Lenny Hayes has been an assistant coach for four years at AFL level.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

yes, under cameron. ratts under clarkson. that was the point of difference - their mentors as assistant coaches.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Thu 25 Jul 2019 2:56pm yes, under cameron. ratts under clarkson. that was the point of difference - their mentors as assistant coaches.
You're assuming Lenny Hayes is being mentored by Leon Cameron!

I wouldn't assume that at all.

Perhaps Cameron is learning from Lenny Hayes with regards to what he learnt under Ross Lyon.