Roberton back at training

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sabras
Club Player

Roberton back at training

Down at training and my eyes do not deceive me

Dylan is on the track doing full drills with the main group.

Is this his first training back or has this gone under the radar?

barneyboyz
Club Player

Re: Roberton back at training

sabras wrote: Thu 04 Jul 2019 11:29am Down at training and my eyes do not deceive me

Great news

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Excellent news.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

awesome..has the club said anything ?

I'd rather hear from the club before "scoop" starts muddying the waters with his 3rd hand news..

Saint wagga
Club Player

Good for the person on personal and life level...zero interest with regards a footy sense and we are still a mathematical chance for finals, our season is still alive, so don't care for the distractions that Roberton's return/McCartins trials and tribulations bring. Only interested in things that can impact the here and now for our season. This isn't a dig at the OP or either Roberton or McCartin. I just get frustrated when the AFL writers and media in general bring up these sort of things, because they are pure distraction for our playing group and while our season is alive (Barely and on life support I know), I'd love it if the pure focus was on things that can impact our side to win games here and now...The McCartin and Roberton sagas have been a drag on the club for 2 years now in a negative sense, so the less spoken about them the better I reckon

sabras
Club Player

Saint wagga wrote: Thu 04 Jul 2019 1:09pm Good for the person on personal and life level...zero interest with regards a footy sense and we are still a mathematical chance for finals, our season is still alive, so don't care for the distractions that Roberton's return/McCartins trials and tribulations bring. Only interested in things that can impact the here and now for our season. This isn't a dig at the OP or either Roberton or McCartin. I just get frustrated when the AFL writers and media in general bring up these sort of things, because they are pure distraction for our playing group and while our season is alive (Barely and on life support I know), I'd love it if the pure focus was on things that can impact our side to win games here and now...The McCartin and Roberton sagas have been a drag on the club for 2 years now in a negative sense, so the less spoken about them the better I reckon
Spot on, let’s not talk about any football at all.

Thanks for reminding me why I don’t post on here often.

I was so happy to see him out there, wanted to share the news with fellow sainters.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

sabras wrote: Thu 04 Jul 2019 11:29am Down at training and my eyes do not deceive me

Been running and doing a lot of coaching with the boys. For the last fortnight has been participating in drills etc. Usually wears the pink hat re Louie , Longer and Paddy meaning no physical contact

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote: Thu 04 Jul 2019 1:09pm Good for the person on personal and life level...zero interest with regards a footy sense and we are still a mathematical chance for finals, our season is still alive, so don't care for the distractions that Roberton's return/McCartins trials and tribulations bring. Only interested in things that can impact the here and now for our season. This isn't a dig at the OP or either Roberton or McCartin. I just get frustrated when the AFL writers and media in general bring up these sort of things, because they are pure distraction for our playing group and while our season is alive (Barely and on life support I know), I'd love it if the pure focus was on things that can impact our side to win games here and now...The McCartin and Roberton sagas have been a drag on the club for 2 years now in a negative sense, so the less spoken about them the better I reckon
Tend to disagree , I see our finals chances as zip,
I honestly don't think we are being well coached and look forward to that being remedied , in the meantime any news of a chance, even if it's a slight chance, of getting
back a star of our club , I see that as very positive.
Positive in the sense that it buoys the supporters and club at such a dark time and gives hope for the near future.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Thu 04 Jul 2019 1:22pm

Been running and doing a lot of coaching with the boys. For the last fortnight has been participating in drills etc. Usually wears the pink hat re Louie , Longer and Paddy meaning no physical contact
Has there been talk of him maybe returning to playing in the future or is this just keeping him involved ?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

sabras wrote: Thu 04 Jul 2019 1:19pm
Spot on, let’s not talk about any football at all.

Thanks for reminding me why I don’t post on here often.

I was so happy to see him out there, wanted to share the news with fellow sainters.
Thanks for the feedback sabras

HighettMan
Club Player

Thanks Sabra. This type of news is great for clubs, you know the ones that are built on human lives.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

The Fireman wrote: Thu 04 Jul 2019 1:28pm

Has there been talk of him maybe returning to playing in the future or is this just keeping him involved ?
The latter at the moment. They’re still analysing all the results and data over an the states

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Thu 04 Jul 2019 1:26pmTend to disagree , I see our finals chances as zip,
I honestly don't think we are being well coached and look forward to that being remedied , in the meantime any news of a chance, even if it's a slight chance, of getting
Positive in the sense that it buoys the supporters and club at such a dark time and gives hope for the near future.
Totally agree. Roberton's return to training is great news in yet another season that is down the drain. We're all happy about Marshall and Billings, but other than that the club has pretty much nothing to celebrate. Richo's sacking will be another reason to celebrate when it happens, but that's not going to happen until the mathematical possibility of finals is gone.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Never expect him to play again but awesome that he is training and with any luck starting his career in the coaching world.

barneyboyz
Club Player

Thanks mate, do you reckon they're looking at a less taxing approach for Robbo? i.e. instead of the sheer numbers through Nov - March, spread it out for him from now until March?

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

That’s a bit harsh.

Not everyone lives life through the hype of AFL.com and the footy media. It’s mostly noise anyway.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Great news for Robbo.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Harves Man
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote: Thu 04 Jul 2019 1:43pm
The Fireman wrote: Thu 04 Jul 2019 1:26pmTend to disagree , I see our finals chances as zip,
Totally agree. Roberton's return to training is great news in yet another season that is down the drain. We're all happy about Marshall and Billings, but other than that the club has pretty much nothing to celebrate. Richo's sacking will be another reason to celebrate when it happens, but that's not going to happen until the mathematical possibility of finals is gone.
Also agree - at the end of the day, Roberton is easily one of our top 3 players and as such is potentially very important to us. A very, very sad (and freakish - as only StKilda can!) situation and terrible luck for the player.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:Good for the person on personal and life level...zero interest with regards a footy sense and we are still a mathematical chance for finals, our season is still alive, so don't care for the distractions that Roberton's return/McCartins trials and tribulations bring. Only interested in things that can impact the here and now for our season. This isn't a dig at the OP or either Roberton or McCartin. I just get frustrated when the AFL writers and media in general bring up these sort of things, because they are pure distraction for our playing group and while our season is alive (Barely and on life support I know), I'd love it if the pure focus was on things that can impact our side to win games here and now...The McCartin and Roberton sagas have been a drag on the club for 2 years now in a negative sense, so the less spoken about them the better I reckon
I’m interested because I’d like us to go back to back.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Good to hear that he’s back again running. Has been replaced by a very able Wilkie, so if he does ever return (doubtful) he’ll just squeeze one of Coffield, Clark or Wilkie out
Plus we have Webster, Savage, White, Paton, Geary, McKenzie all competing for a few spots.

We have way too many defenders on the list.

Along with all those small mediums,
Talls
Brown, Carlisle, Battle, Joyce, Clavarino, Austin, Marsh and Rowe (who really is a FB)

Talk about unbalanced!

Robbo’s been missed, but their were players to cover his loss.

McCartin and Steven have not been able to be replaced.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 05 Jul 2019 5:41pm
McCartin and Steven have not been able to be replaced.
You're definitely not BigMart

B.M
Saintsational Legend

McCartin’s output was easy to replace, and Parker has done that and then some.

McCartin the Key Forward was not replaced. The initial plan of playing two talls (Membrey is not a key forward) and this was trained all summer, then McCartin was injured, with no tall to replace him.

HighettMan
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sat 06 Jul 2019 10:14pm McCartin’s output was easy to replace, and Parker has done that and then some.

McCartin the Key Forward was not replaced. The initial plan of playing two talls (Membrey is not a key forward) and this was trained all summer, then McCartin was injured, with no tall to replace him.
Rote Learning?

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 06 Jul 2019 10:14pm McCartin’s output was easy to replace, and Parker has done that and then some.

Billy Longer started playing good footy for Sandringham earlier this year before his concussion. Billy played a half decent game for the seniors against the Crows if I recall. That Crows game was when Roma was rested and managed. In other words the coaches chose not to go with Longer and Roma the following week and that would have allowed Rowan to be the second tall.

Rounds 6 or 7 or even 6+7 or round 8 our coach could have tried Billy in the ruck with RoMa as a forward. Depending on the match ups it could have been something different to try when we lost a couple in a row. We could have gone with Acres relieving Longer (nothing too unusual there and Acres was already doing this)

Anyhow, I'd prefer Long and Parker in the forward line along with perhaps Hind as these guys provide a lot more forward 50 pressure

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Is that the same pink hat that Newnes wears on game day?
Asking for a friend

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee