Saints offer big money for untried ruckman

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints offer big money for untried ruckman

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
james rose
Club Player

Seems crazy when you read the headline but once you account for 4 years and perhaps a little mayo (reckon most reported offers are inflated in the media, if I was a manager I would) it is between 350 and 425 a year.

Given the increase in salary caps that is probably about right to pull a promising young player out of another club.

Similar story as Hanners, it seems like a lot when you think about AFL salaries 10 years ago but these days isn't that crazy.

Special
Club Player

james rose wrote: Tue 25 Jun 2019 6:03am Seems crazy when you read the headline but once you account for 4 years and perhaps a little mayo (reckon most reported offers are inflated in the media, if I was a manager I would) it is between 350 and 425 a year.

Given the increase in salary caps that is probably about right to pull a promising young player out of another club.

Similar story as Hanners, it seems like a lot when you think about AFL salaries 10 years ago but these days isn't that crazy.
Plus we would pay a premium as he’s had an ACL.

The last thing we want to do is bring in fit players - it would upset all the other newbies who have come in broken

happy feet
Club Player

This just has to be the dumbest move of all time.

There is an old saying that those that do not learn from history are bound to repeat their mistakes.

Do we forget the ‘joy’ of trading with the Jabbers? Do we remember the Lovett disaster? James Hird giving Lovett a reference! FFS.

The the Carlisle trade when weeks after coming to the Club that video appeared. This time, oh it will go something like.....

Essendon Football Club....the kid has a sore knee but he will be ok with some rest
St Kilda Football Club...that’s great, so lets pay mega bucks over his value to get him....kid will be a champion
Reality...we will spend a fortune getting him right and after playing one game axe him. All paid for by the supporters membership $$$.
Time to email the club everyone, enough is enough.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 24 Jun 2019 11:08pm And exactly how "damaged" is he?
Have you talked to the player or his doctor or manager?
No, of course not. You have NFI like the rest of us. I bet no one has even heard of him.

For all we know he will be ready for pre-season and his body will be a 100% fine. He might be a great ruck prospect that all recruiters are massive on.

Geez this place is moronic sometimes. 🙄
What's moronic is backing every single decision made by the club when it has a track record of recruiting bust outs.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Barry Brooks 2.0

bigred
Saintsational Legend

What the f*** is this bulltish

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

james rose wrote: Tue 25 Jun 2019 6:03am Seems crazy when you read the headline but once you account for 4 years and perhaps a little mayo (reckon most reported offers are inflated in the media, if I was a manager I would) it is between 350 and 425 a year.

Fair comment JR.
I guess my concerns are his injuries and we don't have much to trade with. I think we traded away our second rounder. And is there an academy player that might get an early bid we need to match?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
ss1986
Club Player

In what world is an Essendon VFL player who has already done a knee, worth $425k a year for a guaranteed 4 years? Or whatever the deal is.

Sorry - it stinks

Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

How does this work again, oh yes another club does it and he becomes a star and it goes down as a bold and brilliant trade.
St.Kilda does it and just as soon as it looks like a great deal he does his knee again and doesn't play another game.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I really thought if we were going to target rucks, it would have been the likes of Goldstein and Ryder, maybe a Nicholls...add depth to our ruck division and depending on who, options to our structure.

If this is true it is an admission by the club we are a long way off, in terms of finals and list management.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I also think history has shown trying to develop young ruckman is a very hit and miss (mostly miss) game.

Wait til a mid-20s ruckman actually proves himself at AFL level then throw money at him, that’s how it should be done.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

This is absolute garbage.

Gotta question the powers that be if they keep making these calls.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

However this pans out, appears we are targeting ruckmen. Only a couple of years too late. Thank god for Marshall, the accidental ruckman. Best bit of luck we've had drafting since Sam Fisher.

Take a FA if available, cannot afford to trade picks.

Picks required for mids with pace and high end skills.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

How is this s*** even hitting the media?

saint6709
Club Player

Looks like he can take a mark

I agree with James Rose over 4 years its not an outrageous amount - but our club certainly seems to have great faith in knee surgeons

Please be aware that my above comments may be influenced by about 7 years of watching ruck mediocrity running around for the club and being desperate to find a partner in crime for Marshall - Longer and Pierce have got to go

Laurie
Club Player

If the hierarchy were truly fair dinkum about finding a ruckman why not target Gtundy.
Oh sorry they are after INJURED players who know they will not be offered the dollars that we are offering by their current clubs.
This is the path that the current mates club of Finniis Lethlean and Gallagher are leading us too.
Board this needs to be adressed before we find our club relocated to Tassie which is what the AFL is wanting.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Not sure if you guys remember but we nearly got Sandilands from Freo when he was a rookie. Missed out by a bees dick.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Sure this is just his management throwing out a red herring to increase the offer from the Bombers.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I'm warming to the idea of having a former Essendon player called Draper.

He would have to be Don Draper.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Saint wagga
Club Player

The last thing we need...and I repeat...the last thing we need is an untried player with no afl experience. Unless we are rebuilding (and good luck selling that one without a member revolt), we need players with at least 50 games experience and proven good to excellent footballers that will walk into our best 22 and make it better!

We keep a trickle of elite youth coming in thru the draft (I mean hell its not like we won’t be a getting a pick in the 4-8 range!!)

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I guess this just gets in before we pick another injured kid up in the draft eh.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Tue 25 Jun 2019 12:52pm I'm warming to the idea of having a former Essendon player called Draper.

He would have to be Don Draper.
His wife!!!

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 24 Jun 2019 11:08pm And exactly how "damaged" is he?
No, of course not. You have NFI like the rest of us. I bet no one has even heard of him.

For all we know he will be ready for pre-season and his body will be a 100% fine. He might be a great ruck prospect that all recruiters are massive on.

Agree totally with your above quote Ted, you would have to be a moron to make a medical assessment on a players injury without medical knowledge or access to the medical staff who worked on or rehabilitation staff who work with the player.

Out of interest when did your opinion change in regard to medical opinion being required before assessment or judgement?

Because you seemed to be able to comment below on Tom Mitchell's injury without knowledge or information.
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 14 Jan 2019 12:35pm He will never be the same footy player again.
Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 14 Jan 2019 8:49pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 14 Jan 2019 12:35pm He will never be the same footy player again.
Silly quote Ted, unless you are his surgeon you have no idea.
Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 15 Jan 2019 9:55am
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 14 Jan 2019 10:05pm Think N. Brown, think G. Rohan, plus countless others that have had similar injuries. He will really struggle to be the footballer he was before. That is fact unfortunately.
Reiterate, very silly quote Ted.

Unless you have the details of the injury and have sound medical knowledge you have no idea.

Rohan and Brown had horrific multiple compound fractures. I have not seen x-rays of Mitchell’s leg so I don’t know the extent of the damage.

Dozens of players have had broken legs and returned without issue, the two you refer were very bad complicated injuries.

He may never be the same, may be just as good or end up better, I don’t know and you don’t either.
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Tue 15 Jan 2019 11:21am Repeat. Will not be the same player. Good luck to him but he won't be back to his best. History and statistics prove this fact.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 25 Jun 2019 5:11pm

Agree totally with your above quote Ted, you would have to be a moron to make a medical assessment on a players injury without medical knowledge or access to the medical staff who worked on or rehabilitation staff who work with the player.

Out of interest when did your opinion change in regard to medical opinion being required before assessment or judgement?

Because you seemed to be able to comment below on Tom Mitchell's injury without knowledge or information.
Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 14 Jan 2019 8:49pm
Silly quote Ted, unless you are his surgeon you have no idea.
Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 15 Jan 2019 9:55am
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 14 Jan 2019 10:05pm Think N. Brown, think G. Rohan, plus countless others that have had similar injuries. He will really struggle to be the footballer he was before. That is fact unfortunately.
Reiterate, very silly quote Ted.

Unless you have the details of the injury and have sound medical knowledge you have no idea.

Rohan and Brown had horrific multiple compound fractures. I have not seen x-rays of Mitchell’s leg so I don’t know the extent of the damage.

Dozens of players have had broken legs and returned without issue, the two you refer were very bad complicated injuries.

He may never be the same, may be just as good or end up better, I don’t know and you don’t either.
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Tue 15 Jan 2019 11:21am Repeat. Will not be the same player. Good luck to him but he won't be back to his best. History and statistics prove this fact.
I’m no medical doctor, but I don’t think Ted will ever be the same poster after that burn :mrgreen:

And let’s not forget the infamous “corked ass, storm in a teacup”! ;)

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.