Luke Dunstan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Crossy66
Club Player

Re: Luke Dunstan

degruch wrote: Sun 23 Jun 2019 3:48pm
Crossy66 wrote: Sun 23 Jun 2019 3:38pm Problem with Acres is he needs to be played as a mid and this rarely happens.
He was good yesterday in the centre and I dont think anyone who understands footy would have a different view.
And from my experience, most people that sit around where I sit have no idea.
I hear all this talk that he'll be a great mid...is there proof? Maybe you're right and he's been absolutely fantastic the last 6 years or so.
Did you watch yesterday's game? The point is he doesnt get the opportunity.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Sun 23 Jun 2019 4:12pm
Crossy66 wrote: Sun 23 Jun 2019 3:38pm Problem with Acres is he needs to be played as a mid and this rarely happens.
He was good yesterday in the centre and I dont think anyone who understands footy would have a different view.
I hear all this talk that he'll be a great mid...is there proof? Maybe you're right and he's been absolutely fantastic the last 6 years or so.
There seem to be a few that think he's bound to be an great mid, yet he's hardly played there. Nothing adds up, it's like there's some unwritten rule that lazy footballers can be turned into champions by putting them on the ball.

Crossy66
Club Player

degruch wrote: Sun 23 Jun 2019 4:17pm
There seem to be a few that think he's bound to be an great mid, yet he's hardly played there. Nothing adds up, it's like there's some unwritten rule that lazy footballers can be turned into champions by putting them on the ball.
You keep referring to what other people say or think.
What do YOU think?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Sun 23 Jun 2019 4:22pm
degruch wrote: Sun 23 Jun 2019 4:17pm
You keep referring to what other people say or think.
What do YOU think?
Really? I thought my opinion was pretty well represented in the posts above. I don't think he's proven much in any position. Don't get me wrong, I hope you're right and that he does prove to be a match-winner somewhere, but I just can't see it...his 'laconic' approach (which he's suffered from since day one...remembering him being dropped early in his career) frustrates the hell out of me. I'm of the impression, if he doesn't produce something amazing soon, that it might be better for both parties if he was traded.

Crossy66
Club Player

So my opinion is that when he is played in the middle he is THAT player.
I had the glasses on him at every centre clearance yesterday and he was very good.
Last week billings was bog yet acres had more possesions per minute but only 67% game time. To highlight my point, Acres was one of only 3 players singled out for praise by the coach yesterday.
Something else I noticed yesterday was one set of our midfield rotations had Ross, Dunny, hanners. When we won a clearance, one of these 3 kicked it. Hanners had little penetration, ross up and under and dunny a bit 50- 50.
Seems we need the player who clears the ball to be better by foot. Need to make sure we have one elite kick at every rotation and to recruit one or two elite kicks to add

robsaint
Club Player

You lot are Crazy. The players that most of you in various posts are saying to get rid of. Ross, Dunstan, Armo, Acres, Some have said Brown is useless but once he is out they say why has he been dropped. Some have said Clarke is useless. Geary should no be there, Webster is a hack. If we get rid of all these player who do you think we will get ----ing Hacks. The problem we have is we have not been good at developing players, since Grant left. Roos, Dal, Monty, Milne, Ball, etc were all home grown, with some having natural talent. That has been our fundamental problem lack of development as individuals and a team. You need to develop player and top up with experienced good quality players. Until we do that we will not attract quality players. There are only 2 reasons Quality players move, firstly success to win a premiership and 2nd is Money. The ones that move for just money I am not sure I would want unless they have a genuine want to help the club get better and play finals. The only players that do that are ones that have some emotional connection to the club.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

Give them a new coach & they will excel. The poor blokes are as confused as the rest of us.

To the top
SS Life Member

Playing as a first choice mid, Acres will be the most influential player on our List - and he further confirmed that when in the centre yesterday

Added to his ability to win the ball in a contest because he goes straight at it is his disposal which is very effective both by foot (including on his left) and by hand (where he handballs with accuracy as far as Geary can kick ineffectively)

Acres needs to be out lead mid

The one area he needs to work on is his overhead marking - but maybe that is because he has been played as a forward so contested against a dedicated defender)

And he has pace confirmed by closing down distance to a free Brisbane player wide yesterday

The subject should be the usage of Acres - because his class is not in question

The kid has played 60 odd games and is the future of this side

The problem is Steele, Ross, Dunstan and now Hannebery

Acres ability to burst away and use the ball as he does distinguishes Acres from the forenamed - and the forenamed all being in the side is a problem because they are all blue collar contributors

And our Coach loves blue collar - hence Geary and Longer

The change of Coach I now support because we have young players we now need to challenge by giving them opportunity and responsibility

At the expense of 13 who ran onto the park yesterday

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Yesterday:
Ross 7 clearances (most to nobody?)
8cres 6 clearances (opens the play up by usually giving it to someone in a better position)
Dunstan 5 clearances
Sinclair 4 clearances
Gresham, Marshall 3 clearances

I don't think 8cres is lazy. The coach just doesn't play him enough in the guts where he should be.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!