But what do the propeller heads think

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

But what do the propeller heads think

Sometimes after watershed performances a club, through the Pres or Director of Football, will make a statement. Perhaps nearly scoring 60 points yesterday was near enough under the carefully crafted coach's contract so no real need to feed the fans unreasonable disappointment (they're not a big proportion of our revenue, Mr Pres.) although it was a tad disappointing, echos of that Good Friday so long ago? (those pesky players Alan bangs on about).

Over brunch today they (assorted board members, CEO, Director of Football) may glance at a calendar. Still two months and 9 games to go, do we tinker if the model isn't really broken - six wins is nothing to sneer at given 2018; or should we ask polite, veiled questions of the coach about the apparent lack of a forward line, or a functioning mid field, or spare ourselves the contorted explanations. 2 months will go quick - and the CWC is on.

Some might say let him have to coach against Geelong @ Geelong and Adelaide @ Adelaide and avoid someone else getting the trauma scars that will likely follow.

Hopefully the CEO has a note on his diary "coach contract - renewal?" Or perhaps HR will remind him.

I think they will make him coach up to the Adelaide game. If he is not sacked by tea time tonight. (Feel for the players - but that's what they are paid for)

What do you prop heads think our Clubs prop heads are thinking. Are they thinking?

HighettMan
Club Player

Re: But what do the propeller heads think

I'm guessing it won't be nasty thoughts or trying to make someone feel even worse for failing after they have thrown everything at trying to get a result.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
Myron Gaines
Club Player

After yesterday’s match there’s three scenarios:

1. Say nothing (which says a lot & only delays the inevitable)
2. Support (please god no)
3. Sack

I can only presume the board, CEO & DOF will be accompanied by the legal eagles & number crunches to determine the most viable & economical solution.

My gut feel is the Prez was waiting for a match like this to justify pulling the trigger. Riewoldt during yesterday’s commentary had an air of assurance about him despite an embarrassing performance of the team he loves. He said on more than one occasion that Richo has set himself & the club for this match “we want Brisbane’s spot in the 8”. The Prez & his confidant, Roo, are on the same page me thinks.

older saint
SS Life Member

which will turn to 3 before seasons end ( announcement round 22 will not be renewing his contract)

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I watched the game yesterday on the AFLapp. I see the guys running back and forth. I see the skills of Brisbane, and we all know our sad external story. Of course we can advance reasons why x and y like that having Stevo and Roberton would have helped yesterday...but the damming thing for me was what Kane Cornes said..and he said we were not willing enough in that thrived quarter when we managed 1.1 to their 9 something.

The best coaches I assume get the effort across four quarters from enough of the team. That didn’t happen according to Cornes. I honestly couldn’t tell watching the game. I can’t tell if they are not trying except from the odd single act (or lack of action) by a single player at a moment.

Do you honestly feel the guys are not trying or just spat the dummy?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Even in our better performances we don't seem to get four quarter efforts. Not sure if that's the coach or the players. Ten years ago if the opposition got a run on Lenny, Roo or BJ would stand up and do something. These days we don't have someone like that. As soon as the going gets tough everyone goes into their shell.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote: Sun 23 Jun 2019 1:17pm Even in our better performances we don't seem to get four quarter efforts. Not sure if that's the coach or the players. Ten years ago if the opposition got a run on Lenny, Roo or BJ would stand up and do something. These days we don't have someone like that. As soon as the going gets tough everyone goes into their shell.
We managed a few late goals, was that a mental or structural thing?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Crossy66
Club Player

I would think they will not make a spur of the moment decision.
My feeling was richos position would be considered after the next block of 3 games.
6- 6 was ok, but need to be 8-7 after tigers and north.
I think they have informally met with coaching candidates and know what they want to do. Get the feeling Brad scott might be their man.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 23 Jun 2019 2:04pm
remboy wrote: Sun 23 Jun 2019 1:17pm Even in our better performances we don't seem to get four quarter efforts. Not sure if that's the coach or the players. Ten years ago if the opposition got a run on Lenny, Roo or BJ would stand up and do something. These days we don't have someone like that. As soon as the going gets tough everyone goes into their shell.
We managed a few late goals, was that a mental or structural thing?
Must admit I didn't see the last quarter but could have been as much to do with Brisbane switching off.
It's more that they kicked 12 out 13 (or close to it) from midway through the second quarter. Someone has to put their hand up to stop it on the ground or win the next clearance, win the next contest, luck the next goal. We don't have that player.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.