Four new faces who are yet to debut

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Four new faces who are yet to debut

From saints.com.au

"Three young Saints have earned their AFL debuts already in 2019.

But that number could grow significantly by the end of the season, with a budding young contingent waiting for their opportunity to break into the senior side.

Max King arguably shapes as the most exciting prospect.

An imposing presence through his 202cm frame, the 18-year-old has made the forward 50 his own after a successful recovery from his well-documented ACL injury.

WATCH: VFL Round 7 - Max King highlights

While King’s 10 majors from four VFL games has stamped his impressive return, it’s been his aerial work and contested marking which has served as his defining trait.

Six marks and a complementary four-goal bag against Essendon showed just what the pick No. 4 is capable of, with his influence and output growing with each passing week.

And if the inheritance of the esteemed No. 12 guernsey is any indication of his potential, the 18-year-old could be set for a long and prosperous career in the red, white and black.

In a number far less iconic is Doulton Langlands.

Although his No. 46 has been surrounded in obscurity since it first appeared in 1943, the rookie-listed Saint has the capability to make the guernsey a regular feature for St Kilda.

A hamstring injury curtailed Langlands’ pre-season and chances of an early call-up, but since returning from concussion last month – in which he missed two games – has utilised his midfield flair to great effect.

Exhibiting bullish inside work and strong running patterns along the wings, the big-bodied mid’s balance around the contest has caught the eye for Sandringham.

Yet it’s Langlands’ explosive pace and ability to burst from stoppages that make up the most damaging attributes.

And it’s something which would go greatly appreciated for the Saints, particularly given the absence of Jack Steven.

But if there’s one player to rival Langlands’ leg-speed, it’s Nick Hind.

The line-breaking half-back has been a consistent and influential contributor across his seven games for Sandringham.

The mature-age recruit was picked up by the Saints after two-and-a-half seasons with Essendon’s VFL side, and after trading out his sash for some stripes, it didn’t take long for him to impress.

A 41-disposal haul against Box Hill showcased Hind at his absolute best, with the performance thrusting him into the selection equation after just two games in the VFL.

While a senior debut hasn’t yet eventuated, Hind’s current form – which sees him average 24 disposals per game – coupled with the loss of Jarryn Geary could see him to speed into St Kilda’s best 22.

He’s not the only defender firming for a senior spot, with Oscar Clavarino building nicely towards a potential debut.

The emerging backman was looking highly promising during the pre-season, before a high ankle sydesmosis strain sustained in February’s intra-club match halted his run.

Now back for the Zebras and filling the key defensive posts, Clavarino continues to develop his game, fast-tracked by his natural football nous.

Much like his future counterpart in King, Clavarino’s marking serves as his most distinctive characteristic, with his aerial contest work a prominent feature of his game.

An eight-mark display against the Northern Blues hinted at the agile defender’s potential and showed there’s plenty more for the 20-year-old to give.

Able to read the play to great effect and balancing it out with his sound decision-making, Clavarino is ticking all the boxes as he hunts for his maiden appearance in St Kilda colours.

While all four are yet to make their senior debut, their time in the red, white and black is just around the corner.

The next generation lies in waiting."

I can't wait.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Four new faces who are yet to debut

Like the look of all of those kids...

Especially looking forward to Langlands who I've had raps on for a while.

Be nice to see Oscar get a decent run at it... don't think he's ready to hold down the role yet but be nice to start giving him runs of 3-4 games here and there to get a feel for it.

Kingy makes me nervous tbh...
By far the most exciting prospect we've had for a while but I've really bought into the injury, fragile thing.

Would only want this kid to play if he's 100% ready and TBH, I'd rather wait another month

derby Street
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Wed 12 Jun 2019 8:02pm Like the look of all of those kids...

Be nice to see Oscar get a decent run at it... don't think he's ready to hold down the role yet but be nice to start giving him runs of 3-4 games here and there to get a feel for it.

By far the most exciting prospect we've had for a while but I've really bought into the injury, fragile thing.

Would only want this kid to play if he's 100% ready and TBH, I'd rather wait another month
I'm with you skeptic -I can't see any upside in playing King so soon. I would wait even longer - give him a game or so to show him the level that is required.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

skeptic wrote: Wed 12 Jun 2019 8:02pm Like the look of all of those kids...

Not this year for Winx.
VFL is a step up from suburban footy, but it's a quantum leap to seniors.
I would like him to add a few kgs of meat on those bones over pre-season,
which is ideal for little or no footy work, just muscle building and fitness.
How many times have we seen this report "Oh, he had an interrupted pre-season, so he's not as his best"
this indicates that pre-season is the platform and foundation to build a season.

Better to wait until he's ready in 2020.
"Oh, his twin is doing fine at the Suns!"
Well, his twin didn't have a knee injury. And I don't trust our coaches at all with their judgement on post-injury guys.
See Weller, Newnes, Geary, McCartin...

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saynta
Saintsational Legend

King will get a few games this year I believe/think.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Come around round 18 and King is killing it, he needs to play. No reason to hold him back.

I'd like to see him play at least 2 games this year. Hopefully 4.

It will allow him to get a taste of what is required and he can hit the ground running in 2020.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 12 Jun 2019 9:34pm King will get a few games this year I believe/think.
Only because Me Desperado is out of ideas on how to keep his job and is desperate to try anything, even the wrong thing.

Yes, it is exciting to think that Winx may debut soon, but I’d prefer to wait until 2020 then the risk of him getting injured, which I believe is fairly high if he plays AFL too soon.

As for Royal Doulton, Hind and The Clav, none of them are the 5 possie X factor players like Long & Young and so may have to wait for our next coach.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

No point debuting any of those players (including :wink: ) unless they get less than 10 games this year as otherwise they won't be eligible for the rising star award next year.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: Wed 12 Jun 2019 10:56pm
saynta wrote: Wed 12 Jun 2019 9:34pm King will get a few games this year I believe/think.
Only because Me Desperado is out of ideas on how to keep his job and is desperate to try anything, even the wrong thing.

Yes, it is exciting to think that Winx may debut soon, but I’d prefer to wait until 2020 then the risk of him getting injured, which I believe is fairly high if he plays AFL too soon.

As for Royal Doulton, Hind and The Clav, none of them are the 5 possie X factor players like Long & Young and so may have to wait for our next coach.

Name a game this year when Ben Long played seniors and where he only got 5 possies?

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Assuming we are out of finals contention by round 18, and they remain injury free and their form doesn’t drop off, I’d expect each of them will get a minimum 2 games in the seniors to give them a taste and something to drive them through the off season.

Personally I like what I saw of Clav in the pre-season. Hope he continues to develop.
Unfortunately I also liked what I saw of coff last year and he has since gone backward.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Assuming we are out of finals contention by round 18, and they remain injury free and their form doesn’t drop off, I’d expect each of them will get a minimum 2 games in the seniors to give them a taste and something to drive them through the off season.

Personally I like what I saw of Clav in the pre-season. Hope he continues to develop.
Unfortunately I also liked what I saw of coff last year and he has since gone backward.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
freely
SS Hall of Fame

Isn't it a truism that most second year players go backwards?

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote: Wed 12 Jun 2019 11:09pm No point debuting any of those players (including :wink: ) unless they get less than 10 games this year as otherwise they won't be eligible for the rising star award next year.
Only 11 games left this season (unless we make finals) and not listed for this week - so unless they play every game from round 13 onwards they will not get to 10 games!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
freely
SS Hall of Fame

Also, is that the goal now? Try and win a rising star award?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 12 Jun 2019 11:23pm

Name a game this year when Ben Long played seniors and where he only got 5 possies?
May have been GWS or West Coast.

spert
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Thu 13 Jun 2019 2:21am Isn't it a truism that most second year players go backwards?
It's like putting your car in second gear, and it goes backwards instead of forwards- Richo driving

DJ Higgins
Club Player

freely wrote: Thu 13 Jun 2019 11:16am Also, is that the goal now? Try and win a rising star award?
Nice to win something for a change. But Walsh should win it. I'd get a Preseason into king first as like most whi have gone to watch sandy play, he is thin and inexperienced and it shows. Yes he kicks goals still but he needs more practice in vfl

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Thu 13 Jun 2019 12:00pm

He performed ok against Port and was very good against Carlton. They are the last 2 games that he should be judged on. Cho could have ommitted 10 from the team that played Port, but I wouldn't be cutting guys that are part of the future.

I understand that some thought Ben Long should be dropped after the West Coast game(after looking back at the stats) but let's not forget he has only just played 20 odd games in his career.

I know Cho wants to make finals, but I seriously think that the footy department needs to just keep development front of mind. Benny Long would've suited the hot and humid conditions of Townsville seeing's though he is originally from Northern Territory.

Special
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Fri 14 Jun 2019 1:12am
Ghost Like wrote: Thu 13 Jun 2019 12:00pm

He performed ok against Port and was very good against Carlton. They are the last 2 games that he should be judged on. Cho could have ommitted 10 from the team that played Port, but I wouldn't be cutting guys that are part of the future.

I understand that some thought Ben Long should be dropped after the West Coast game(after looking back at the stats) but let's not forget he has only just played 20 odd games in his career.

I know Cho wants to make finals, but I seriously think that the footy department needs to just keep development front of mind. Benny Long would've suited the hot and humid conditions of Townsville seeing's though he is originally from Northern Territory.
Oh FFS so you’re saying finals is not number 1 priority for this season??

Really??

We haven’t played finals since 2011 and if it’s not the top priority then just fold the effing club right now.

I don’t rate Cho either and want him gone but irrespective I’m desperate for some finals action ASAP

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Understandable Special but I see value in Scollops point.

I'm beyond desperate for an actual premiership. I cannot see that being 2019 but if for once the planets align then I can see 2020 or 2021 being seasons we can rise & surprise.

For that to happen we need a combination of our best players on the park and our kids with 30+ games under their belts and a belief they belong. We need to keep trying them, playing them so we engender that belief. It is a balancing act, an act we seem to struggle with in my opinion.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

My only fear is that every player we have that has potential seems to stagnate under this coach, we can only hope that these blokes get developed properly

PS this forum seems a much better place atm..I wonder why that would be ?

Crossy66
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Fri 14 Jun 2019 1:22pm My only fear is that every player we have that has potential seems to stagnate under this coach, we can only hope that these blokes get developed properly

We didnt lose last week?

takeaway
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Fri 14 Jun 2019 1:22pm My only fear is that every player we have that has potential seems to stagnate under this coach, we can only hope that these blokes get developed properly

I'm guessing you're a fan of Bwuuce Gushavaney and the thread on Bwuuce/Eddie. Otherwise, I have detected a definite drop in the forum of footy IQ recently, no player injury/contract scoops, trade targets, other little tidbits of interesting footy news.
Don't know why really, probably just the bye week.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Give us a break

Since when do trolls provide scoops or anything remotely intelligent?

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Fri 14 Jun 2019 4:04pm Give us a break

Since when do trolls provide scoops or anything remotely intelligent?
Several times daily.