Jake Carlisle - Out of Contract

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ListManager
Club Player

Jake Carlisle - Out of Contract

If I was List Manager down at the Saints I would
use Jake as trade bait. He will be 28 next year?
If I could get a top 10 pick for him I would do it.
Logan Austin would slot straight into his spot and
we use the pick on a gun midfielder. If nobody is
prepared to offer a top 10 pick then I sign Jake to
a new contact.

Thoughts?

NeXus Nick is back but where is Joffaboy????
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Re: Jake Carlisle - Out of Contract

Sorry List Manager Jake is nowhere near top 10 now as he is damaged goods & as for Logan slotting straight in I wouldn’t take that to the bank as he has hardly played & doesn’t look half the player Jake was ,we do however have a young bloke called Battle!

PADDLEPOP1000
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

If we are not planning on playing finals for another 5 years then trading out bona fide top 10 players would make sense to some. Personally I don't think it does.

Especially Carlisle, we need a couple of things as well as elite, quick, skilled midfielders and that is experience and a big bodied presence in the backline. Jake is that.

Until I see we are capable of choosing correctly at the draft and then developing those choices I am loathe to trade out any quality we have on our list.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 12 Jun 2019 10:08am If we are not planning on playing finals for another 5 years then trading out bona fide top 10 players would make sense to some. Personally I don't think it does.

Especially Carlisle, we need a couple of things as well as elite, quick, skilled midfielders and that is experience and a big bodied presence in the backline. Jake is that.

Until I see we are capable of choosing correctly at the draft and then developing those choices I am loathe to trade out any quality we have on our list.
Agreed. I just don't think you get anywhere by trading out a player every time one hits their straps. The reality is we need immediate, good players now to raise the overall standard and mold the next generation

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Absolutely not, ridiculous, him and Steven are the closest thing to A graders we have.. short memories.
We lack so much talent due to getting draft picks and them not having any impact, now you want to trade one of our most impactful players.. :roll:

Ajantis
Club Player

I think battle would learn alot from carlisle.

ListManager
Club Player

Ajantis wrote: Thu 13 Jun 2019 8:11am I think battle would learn alot from carlisle.
Yeah, how to make videos.
As I said, if I could get pick 10 or better I would do it

NeXus Nick is back but where is Joffaboy????
stkfc1
Club Player

Unless someone was chasing super hard for him and offering something silly, sure. Doubt the want is out there though. I think what Wilkie, Battle and Co will learn from having Carlise out there will be immeasurable. He stays for mine.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

mightysainters wrote: Wed 12 Jun 2019 9:09pm Absolutely not, ridiculous, him and Steven are the closest thing to A graders we have.. short memories.
We lack so much talent due to getting draft picks and them not having any impact, now you want to trade one of our most impactful players.. :roll:
I agree 100%. The thing we lack is genuine A graders. We can't afford to lose one of the few we've got.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote: Thu 13 Jun 2019 10:40am
mightysainters wrote: Wed 12 Jun 2019 9:09pm Absolutely not, ridiculous, him and Steven are the closest thing to A graders we have.. short memories.
I agree 100%. The thing we lack is genuine A graders. We can't afford to lose one of the few we've got.
Especially one as versatile as Jake - sheesh - can we look beyond immediate gratification????

I feel sorry for the wives/partners of some of these posters - dinner is not ready on time - I will go and find someone who can have it on the table when I walk in.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't completely discount this. It really depends on the club’s overall objective. The principle is that everyone is tradeable for the right price. It would have to be considered if it would help us get a player we wanted. There’s a benefit and cost attached to every decision.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Would you suggest Jake makes our club better because he inspires those around him? As a class player would he make us a better destination for potential newcomers? (My guess, yes..although he was a ‘bad boy’ he is a hulk with skill) so whilst trade value might be there - and I definitely see a Hawthorn making great use of him either as a Frawley back-up or replacement as well as a shock forward, I still think, (as long as ‘the boys’ like him) that he has value beyond his immediate performances.

He has only played, what? , less than 40/50 games for us and probably played it barely a dozen wins. He looks laconic at times, but perhaps that is just him and not a reflection of his mental application. I feel it would be a big loss for us. None of the backs have really shone yet except for the mature recruit from Adelaide?- can’t remember the club.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Ajantis
Club Player

God forbid if we trade another "good player" who has ability to perform as st.kilda has done in the past.
Way too many names to mention....
I am sure st.kilda doesnt think like that anymore, and thank god they dont read the comments on these forums.
Why would'nt you keep Carlisle ?

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Keep him unless we get something massive but we won't so don't. When fit he is good, real good and it shows for 3/4 of most games. Last qtr we can drop just due to unrelenting pressure. The other kdp we have are not near his level yet and to learn from him would be immense

the dome
Club Player

Hoping Jake has a good run in the 2nd.1/2 of 2019

'Especially Carlisle, we need a couple of things as well as elite, quick, skilled midfielders and that is experience and a big bodied presence in the backline. Jake is that."
"Until I see we are capable of choosing correctly at the draft and then developing those choices I am loathe to trade out any quality we have on our list." [/quote]

Can only agree with you. J.C. brings much needed presence to this Saintly outfit.
Rather see Jake playing on. :)

wally
Club Player

We need to keep our good players and get more.
If we traded everyone on this forum as suggested... Billings Carlisle Ross Steven Dunstan Acres etc
We need to recruit above average players.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Gamble responsibly. Don't bet more than you can afford to lose. Can we afford to lose what Carslisle brings. Nah.

Vazelos
Club Player

No way he has 4 good years left at least you don’t trade 198 Cm KPP elite player...
We get an Good mid in this team we are a Finals team he offers so much what are we going to do?
Put a 20 year plan in place ?
McEvoy proves that risk is very high we are still looking for good Ruckman years later!!!
A huge NO from me...

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Our record in drafting top talent with high end draft picks in recent years has been deplorable. Sure, if we had a gun recruitment team that could identify super talent then maybe - but swapping Carlisle for pick 7 or 8 and getting another Coffield or Clarke in exchange doesn’t exactly inspire confidence.
Keep Carlisle.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Our record in drafting top talent with high end draft picks in recent years has been deplorable. Sure, if we had a gun recruitment team that could identify super talent then maybe - but swapping Carlisle for pick 7 or 8 and getting another Coffield or Clarke in exchange doesn’t exactly inspire confidence.
Keep Carlisle.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

ListManager wrote: Wed 12 Jun 2019 9:06am If I was List Manager down at the Saints I would
use Jake as trade bait. He will be 28 next year?
If I could get a top 10 pick for him I would do it.
Logan Austin would slot straight into his spot and
we use the pick on a gun midfielder. If nobody is
prepared to offer a top 10 pick then I sign Jake to
a new contact.

Thoughts?
No

“Yeah….nah””
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Keep him, he is A grade.
Still a few years left in him

Nee!
BarryGrogan
Club Player

Yeah, let's trade Carlisle for a kid that we hope might be as good as Carlisle in about 5 years time.

You trade FOR guys like Carlisle. We've got one. Why in the f*** would you trade him out??

f***** hell.

By the way, cool troll List Manager. You must be getting your jollies big time lately.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Surprising thing about Carlisle is that (as I recall) it was his prior relationship with Richo that persuaded him to come.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, sure trade our best player. FMD.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: