RICHO WALKED OUT ON HIS TEAM

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Josh Battle
Club Player

RICHO WALKED OUT ON HIS TEAM

Richo is not medical staff!! The captain was not dying. Geary didn't get knocked out or concussed or suffer what Dylan Roberton suffered which was scary and life threatening. Why couldn't Richo wait 5 minutes. There wasn't that long to go.

Did he give up? Did he momentarily quit as an AFL coach? He certainly gave up on his players as far as I'm concerned

When have you ever seen a head coach leave his post and 'stop' watching his team while the play is still going on and the game has not finished?

I understand that he trusts his assistants, but we are talking about a head coach making a conscious decision to NOT PERFORM THE ROLE that he is paid for during an AFL game. I don't think I've ever seen it in professional sport...ANY sport!!

Footy Classified/Talking Footy/The Coaches Association/Mark Robinson/Wayne Carey/Jonathon Brown/On the Couch...

Who will bring up the issue of Richo abandoning his players? What the hell was he thinking? It is his job to assist his players and teach his players. Not walk out on the team. What about BETTING and the integrity of the game with margins and exotics?

What does it mean symbolically, when a leader of a team thinks it is necessary to show emotion or caring or compassion when their is a contest to be won and an opportunity to learn and grow and improve and impart knowledge? Perhaps it means that this coach has lost the ability to make good decisions.

I don't want to hang the bloke for being compassionate. I want him gone for not knowing the RIGHT TIME to be compassionate

Does Richo view being the head coach of St Kilda as an insignificant role where it's up to OTHER more significant people for the organisation to achieve success? Does he rely on his recruiters delivering him 18 year olds that will make the All Australian team in their second year of footy?

We have seen flashes of brilliance from our squad and from individuals on this list. Does Richo feel it is OUT OF HIS CONTROL if his players or his team don't perform consistently as well as their opponents or don't perform consistently at their BEST? If he believes that he is not that important, and if he thinks he should walk away during play and that he can't make a difference then I am afraid that he is not fit to lead these men

Rubyjo
Club Player

Re: RICHO WALKED OUT ON HIS TEAM

Given what Geary has been through of late I don't think it was a bad call on Richo behalf.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Damned if you do dammed if you don't

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Malcolm Blight did it at the Crows and they won a flag that year.

Seriously. I think Richo will be gone at years end and I think that's the right call. However I don't have a problem with him showing care to a guy 5 minutes before the end of a game when we are obviously going to lose by a huge margin. I definitely think we have much bigger issues to worry about than this.

The impact of the coach on match day is questionable anyway - particularly when the game is done and dusted. There's a thing called video replay which he can look at to catch up on what he missed.

HighettMan
Club Player

Josh Battle wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 2:44am Richo is not medical staff!! The captain was not dying. Geary didn't get knocked out or concussed or suffer what Dylan Roberton suffered which was scary and life threatening. Why couldn't Richo wait 5 minutes. There wasn't that long to go.

Did he give up? Did he momentarily quit as an AFL coach? He certainly gave up on his players as far as I'm concerned

When have you ever seen a head coach leave his post and 'stop' watching his team while the play is still going on and the game has not finished?

I understand that he trusts his assistants, but we are talking about a head coach making a conscious decision to NOT PERFORM THE ROLE that he is paid for during an AFL game. I don't think I've ever seen it in professional sport...ANY sport!!

Footy Classified/Talking Footy/The Coaches Association/Mark Robinson/Wayne Carey/Jonathon Brown/On the Couch...

Who will bring up the issue of Richo abandoning his players? What the hell was he thinking? It is his job to assist his players and teach his players. Not walk out on the team. What about BETTING and the integrity of the game with margins and exotics?

What does it mean symbolically, when a leader of a team thinks it is necessary to show emotion or caring or compassion when their is a contest to be won and an opportunity to learn and grow and improve and impart knowledge? Perhaps it means that this coach has lost the ability to make good decisions.

I don't want to hang the bloke for being compassionate. I want him gone for not knowing the RIGHT TIME to be compassionate

Does Richo view being the head coach of St Kilda as an insignificant role where it's up to OTHER more significant people for the organisation to achieve success? Does he rely on his recruiters delivering him 18 year olds that will make the All Australian team in their second year of footy?

We have seen flashes of brilliance from our squad and from individuals on this list. Does Richo feel it is OUT OF HIS CONTROL if his players or his team don't perform consistently as well as their opponents or don't perform consistently at their BEST? If he believes that he is not that important, and if he thinks he should walk away during play and that he can't make a difference then I am afraid that he is not fit to lead these men
Did you cry yourself to sleep too?

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
Junior
Club Player

Josh Battle wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 2:44am Richo is not medical staff!! The captain was not dying. Geary didn't get knocked out or concussed or suffer what Dylan Roberton suffered which was scary and life threatening. Why couldn't Richo wait 5 minutes. There wasn't that long to go.

Wow boy oh boy lol

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
Ajantis
Club Player

Alittle over the top, dont you think.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

would it make any difference if Richo was there or not ?

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Of all the choices the coach made yesterday, going to see the injured captain was easily the best.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Well done to Alan for spending 5 minutes with his skipper after a season ending bad leg break first game back. Especially after his horrific corky. Plenty of AFL and sporting coaches have done it across the decades the world over. I have even played in games and seen it.

Plus the game was over anyway. Massive storm in a tea cup. Sorry but it's a complete and utter non issue.

Good stuff Alan.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
twirlyhair
Club Player

Oh boy...what a load of codswallop. He has an entire coaching team surrounding him. Not as if critical on field desicions needed to be made.

elizabethr
Club Player

Dereliction of duty.

nothing to say
bigred
Saintsational Legend

TLDR.

Get over it.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
outside66
Club Player

I thought it showed a lot of compassion by Richo to go and check on our captain as you could tell right away that he had seriously hurt himself (now out for the year). The game was done and he popped in to check on our skipper's welfare enroute to coaching from the bench. I thought that was one of the very few things that I felt proud about from yesterday's performance...

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

I think it makes zero difference to the outcome of our games on gameday whether the Cho is in the coaches box or having a a coffee in his favourite cafe....

Except of course when it is time to switch Carlisle or Battle forward after the game is lost - if he wasn't in the coaches box they wouldn't know when to do that.......

<1 week ban for using an offensive term that is not permitted to degrade the coach>

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Well there’s never been any doubt that Richo is a terrific fellow with this heart in the right place. Evidenced yesterday by his actions in visiting the wounded captain.

But that’s not the argument here. It’s whether he’s right man to catch his football club. Two completely separate things.

I see there is crisis meetings at Carlton today. They might beat us to the punch on Ratten.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Much ado about nothing.

We were 10 goals behind, it’s not like it was a GF and the scores were locked with 5 to go!

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

It was the right call, we played better for that 5 minutes too.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

People always see what they want to see and will look for any excuse to s*** on Richo.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Look, he's a nice guy, and he has done a few nice things with the team. Clearly this year he's up against it. We've had a shocking year with most of our good A level players not playing at all, or very little making it really hard. Add to this the squad all getting some viral bug before arguably the biggest game for the year and being overseas, and he is really not catching any luck at all.
The selectors brought back our captain too early and he's broken his leg - I mean, could it get any worse?
I was upset too about the lack of preparation for such an important game but the reality is the whole team probably needs a break and the bye can't get here any quicker.
I do hope that the team can combine well in Townsville against Gold Coast though, for everybody's sake, because there wouldn't want to be a repeat of the debacle yesterday.
It is now officially a development year and the club probably need to get as many games into the rookies and young players as possible and hopefully we still win a few games. If we can, we may attract some decent free agents over the summer.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Made no difference to the result
The match was lost six months ago when we sold it to port .

In red white and black from 73
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 3:24pm Much ado about nothing.

We were 10 goals behind, it’s not like it was a GF and the scores were locked with 5 to go!
Bingo

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

mr six o'clock wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 5:35pm Made no difference to the result
The match was lost six months ago when we sold it to port .
Commercially it has been a great success. I understand we got great sponsorship from the Chinese tech company Tan King......

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Mr Win Wun Soon (Managing Director of Marketing at Huawei) was impressed by the Saints. Mr Win Wun Soon thinks we will win one soon in Townsville.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 5:47pm Mr Win Wun Soon (Managing Director of Marketing at Huawei) was impressed by the Saints. Mr Win Wun Soon thinks we will win one soon in Townsville.
That’s just sad Ted, think before you press submit next time 😉

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.