Selection integrity ...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Selection integrity ...

In his 3rd season - Lyon dropped Dal Santo and Milne to bring “integrity to the selection process” (https://www.afl.com.au/news/2008-07-02/ ... grity-lyon).

In his 7th season - Cho could (rightly) drop Ross, McKenzie and Newnes (& bring in Clark, White and Coffield or Hind, respectively) to achieve the same thing. And in the process - likely win back the entire supporter base.

But he won’t - because he’s obstinate and conservative and ultimately, a believer in the definition of insanity.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Selection integrity ...

I get your point, difference is Dal Santo and Milne just weren't working hard enough.

I'm frustrated with Ross too, but he cannot be accused of not working hard enough. Its dumb decision making by Ross that's the problem, moreso when he has time! Newnes started the season well, has had a few quiet ones, but is one of the few leaders we have standing. McKenzie still has a bit to learn, but did you see his mark going back with the flight? I don't think he warrnts dropping at the moment.

Clark should be consistently getting it 30 times at Sandy before earning his spot, Coffield is nowhere near knocking down the door. I'm with you on White and Hind, particularly White who is kicking down the door.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Mon 20 May 2019 2:36pm In his 3rd season - Lyon dropped Dal Santo and Milne to bring “integrity to the selection process” (https://www.afl.com.au/news/2008-07-02/ ... grity-lyon).

In his 7th season - Cho could (rightly) drop Ross, McKenzie and Newnes (& bring in Clark, White and Coffield or Hind, respectively) to achieve the same thing. And in the process - likely win back the entire supporter base.

But he won’t - because he’s obstinate and conservative and ultimately, a believer in the definition of insanity.
Drop the acting captain who has had over 50 possessions in the past two games.

You have to be kidding.

Go along with Newnes though.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Mon 20 May 2019 3:38pm
Saintmatt wrote: Mon 20 May 2019 2:36pm In his 3rd season - Lyon dropped Dal Santo and Milne to bring “integrity to the selection process” (https://www.afl.com.au/news/2008-07-02/ ... grity-lyon).

Drop the acting captain who has had over 50 possessions in the past two games.

You have to be kidding.

Go along with Newnes though.
Saynta - puleeeeez.

Surely you're not going to measure Ross' output by way of pure posession count? I'm not sure we've ever had a greater gatherer of posessions - which then become so ineffective - as we have with Ross. And as for the acting capitain part - I will grant you that he had an excellent game against the Dawks. He was terrific. But - when we really needed a leader to stand up in the last quarter agains the filth - where was he? Utterly invisible. I suspect he started to read the press after the Dawks game. Invisible against the Crouch borthers too.

I will grant you that Seb appears to try hard but if there's a better definition of accepting mediocrity from an experienced player - I'd like to see it. And that's my point. Let's keep doing the same; with the same.

Mental.
Last edited by Saintmatt on Mon 20 May 2019 6:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Linton Lodger wrote: Mon 20 May 2019 3:27pm I get your point, difference is Dal Santo and Milne just weren't working hard enough.

I'm frustrated with Ross too, but he cannot be accused of not working hard enough. Its dumb decision making by Ross that's the problem, moreso when he has time! Newnes started the season well, has had a few quiet ones, but is one of the few leaders we have standing. McKenzie still has a bit to learn, but did you see his mark going back with the flight? I don't think he warrnts dropping at the moment.

Clark should be consistently getting it 30 times at Sandy before earning his spot, Coffield is nowhere near knocking down the door. I'm with you on White and Hind, particularly White who is kicking down the door.
Fair point with Ross and his effort. But it's ineffective in the scheme of things. Gather 35 posessions that then repeatedly get hoisted high to a 1 on 4 in F50 is pointless. Personally, I'd rather find out whether Hind, Clarke and Coffield have or haven't got it ... at the level. No point gathering 30 at the VFL over and over.

McKenzie is super brave but sooner or later - when then gets up and butchers it off half back, you'd surely look at the similar guy at Sandy who's got a bullet kick that more often than not hits targets wouldnt you?'

I just feel like we're in a holding pattern and nothing happens to shake things up.

I mean - Roughy got put back for a spell by the toxic gnome and yet, we tolerate mediocrity for what exact reason?

Crossy66
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Mon 20 May 2019 6:39pm
Linton Lodger wrote: Mon 20 May 2019 3:27pm I get your point, difference is Dal Santo and Milne just weren't working hard enough.

Fair point with Ross and his effort. But it's ineffective in the scheme of things. Gather 35 posessions that then repeatedly get hoisted high to a 1 on 4 in F50 is pointless. Personally, I'd rather find out whether Hind, Clarke and Coffield have or haven't got it ... at the level. No point gathering 30 at the VFL over and over.

McKenzie is super brave but sooner or later - when then gets up and butchers it off half back, you'd surely look at the similar guy at Sandy who's got a bullet kick that more often than not hits targets wouldnt you?'

I just feel like we're in a holding pattern and nothing happens to shake things up.

I mean - Roughy got put back for a spell by the toxic gnome and yet, we tolerate mediocrity for what exact reason?
"Personally, I'd rather find out whether Hind, Clarke and Coffield have or haven't got it ... at the level. No point gathering 30 at the VFL over and over."
Trouble is Clark and coff arent getting 30 over and over. Its simple: start banging the door down if you want a game. And, in Clark's case, make the most of it!

SuperDuper
Club Player

If there is any selection integrity, White must play
But there aint and he wont

twirlyhair
Club Player

I think we need to be creative. This is now a development year and we need to get games into the those that we see as leading us to finals.
So games into:
Clark
Coffield
Winx (after about 4 more games in seconds)
Clav (same)

Drop Ross, Newnes, Brown

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

After I stopped laughing so hard I had to check if I'd soiled my pants.

twirlyhair
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote: Mon 20 May 2019 9:06pm After I stopped laughing so hard I had to check if I'd soiled my pants.
Wow. Awesomely constructive comment. Well done!

ace
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Mon 20 May 2019 9:06pm After I stopped laughing so hard I had to check if I'd soiled my pants.
After soiling your pants did you take them off ?
Did you have a clean pair to replace them or did you go commando ?

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
lewdogs
Club Player

Drop Ross ay. Are we tanking?

I mean if we win this week we are 5-5 which isn't too bad.

barneyboyz
Club Player

We shouldn't drop Ross, but we simply can't keep making the same mistakes either. I would get Hind in there, at least he would not be standing still at a centre bounce. Rowan needs some help too, we must get Billy in there

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Seb will never be dropped and neither he should.

Josh Battle
Club Player

saynta wrote: Thu 23 May 2019 12:45pm Seb will never be dropped and neither he should.
It's written in his contract is it?

He has 1 Trevor Barker medal. He has had 1 fantastic year and 2 servicable years in his whole career.

His impact in games for the last 12 months has been well down on his 2017 form. His ability to create opportunities for his team mates has been barely servicable this year and for half his games last year.

It's like having a bloke at full forward who receives the footy and just keeps missing. It's a negative effect and deflating. But hey, plenty of stats and possessions. Perhaps a different coach would get the best out of him but if Richo wants to give him a free ride and a game each week no matter how he plays, no wonder he doesn't give a stuff

I reckon Paton or Sinclair could be instructed to play Seb's role and I reckon they'd be just as servicable if not better. Trade him while we can and while other clubs think he is of value

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Josh Battle wrote: Thu 23 May 2019 4:59pm
saynta wrote: Thu 23 May 2019 12:45pm Seb will never be dropped and neither he should.

He has 1 Trevor Barker medal. He has had 1 fantastic year and 2 servicable years in his whole career.

His impact in games for the last 12 months has been well down on his 2017 form. His ability to create opportunities for his team mates has been barely servicable this year and for half his games last year.

It's like having a bloke at full forward who receives the footy and just keeps missing. It's a negative effect and deflating. But hey, plenty of stats and possessions. Perhaps a different coach would get the best out of him but if Richo wants to give him a free ride and a game each week no matter how he plays, no wonder he doesn't give a stuff

I reckon Paton or Sinclair could be instructed to play Seb's role and I reckon they'd be just as servicable if not better. Trade him while we can and while other clubs think he is of value
Tagged by Beams in last weeks game so he clearly is rated. Won't be dropped and nor should he.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
HighettMan
Club Player

Well rated by oppo players. Problem Sebby has right now is support. That happens when you don't have depth in midfield stocks and your team is being cruelled by a significant injury list. The OP is probably one of the dumbest I've seen in the past 2 years, clearly lacking basic footy knowledge.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Josh Battle wrote: Thu 23 May 2019 4:59pm

No way, thank god.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

After that capitulation last week in the last quarter only one player dropped?!? P#sswe@k!
I wish our selectors would finally get real!

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Josh Battle
Club Player

I don't think any player has been dropped. Ben Paton may be carrying an injury or have some bruising and niggles so he's being managed. It's not like ALL our list is injured. There are players in the magoos who are playing decent footy and they are just not being given the same opportunities as some of Richo's regulars.

How the hell can you develop credibility and trust with your playing group when you don't make changes after continuous losses?

Same thing happened last year when we lost games or played poorly. Richo would only make 1 or 2 changes and there were many rounds where the only changes were those forced on the selection committee because of injuries. It's f****** madness

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Several players should have been dropped for dropping their bundle in the last quarter last week on principle alone. That was a real '80s job, that was.
And the week before we were shocking against the Eagles.
If we get rolled tomorrow, they should replace at least half a dozen players to take to China to make a statement, but they probably won't.
At least players currently playing at Sandy get to show their stuff to the members and supporters tomorrow as a curtain raiser.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Special
Club Player

Seb needs Hanners alongside him

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Special wrote: Sat 25 May 2019 12:16pm Seb needs Hanners alongside him
Knew there must have been a reason for recruiting Hannebery.

saintbob
SS Life Member

We’ve had no selection integrity since Richo arrived, he has constantly played his favourites Lonie, Newnes and DMac even when it was clear to all that they shouldn’t be getting a game.

HighettMan
Club Player

saintbob wrote: Sat 25 May 2019 1:44pm We’ve had no selection integrity since Richo arrived, he has constantly played his favourites Lonie, Newnes and DMac even when it was clear to all that they shouldn’t be getting a game.
I reckon you could mount a very strong argument that all 3 players you mention have developed nicely under Alan, Lonie and DMac especially and so this selection integrity bull s*** is just a noise in this Echo chamber.

And what's with this favorites thing, it's a professional elite sporting club, not a primary school PE teacher picking a team for the inter school footy carnival.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism