24 hours later

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

24 hours later

I deliberately banned myself from the forum after the game yesterday as i was so disappointed.

24 hours later:
- Walking in i expected to lose by 4 goals
- Great effort for 3/4 of the game. Effort unfortunately isn't a column on the ladder.
- Again the elephant in the room GOAL KICKING. Saw a post of mine from July 2018 came up , well 10 months on and nothing has changed. Richo refuses to publicly state it , dancing around it with spin and terms like "finishing" . It's the AFL versions of Seinfeld " Its not a lie if you believe it". Man up and hold players/ coaches to account as 3 years later we still lose games because of it.
- inexperience showed up big time yesterday, but you can live with that and they will learn from it. What i can't handle is senior players not being switched on. Newnes on the wing 3rd qtr centre bounce next to Sidebototm. I don't know whether he was ball watching, not paying attention or totally had not regard for a player which is a gun, but sidebottom sprints off the wing, links up on the clearance and Collingwood Goal. Newnes is standing on the wing watching like " s*** what just happened" . Played nearly every game last year and was ordinary, a couple decent game early but back to old habits but never accountable. Not just him and I admit after last year i think he is gifted games, but the last qtr the senior guys were missing .
- Richo/ match committee lacks guts to drop senior players and has done so for 2 years now. Last 2 years the names : Dunstan, Lonie, Acres, Sinclair, Marshall, Battle, Long, Rice, Coffield, Phillips, appear in the outs, but during this time only Billings who got 5 chances before being dropped is a name i can think of.
- The use of Acres as a back up ruck has completely stuffed his development as a player. instead of developing as a mid/wing, he is forced to second ruck against ruckman. Surely Bruce , whose form is up and down, can ruck to rest Marshall , and push Acres forward if that is needed. I can see him asking to leave at seasons end of he is continued to play this way. Not going to be a star but will be a good midfielder
- Injuries have opened the door to expose players like Paton, Wilkie, Young, Parker, McKenzie. Some good, some found out but that's ok.
- Last qtr fade out was very disappointing to say the least .

We sit 4-5 , which at the start off the season i would have taken. To me the next 5 games will show what this group of players and coaches can do.
Carl, Port, GC, Bris, Rich.

If fair dinkum team this year 3-2 which would have us 7-7.
Anything better would exceed expectation
1-4 pretenders falling back to reality
0-5 man the life rafts.

round 10 (no knowledge of VFL today)
In:Clark, Rice
Out: Newnes, Parker

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Re: 24 hours later

And if we win 1 of the next 5 what then?

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

older saint wrote: Sun 19 May 2019 6:39pm I deliberately banned myself from the forum after the game yesterday as i was so disappointed.

24 hours later:
- Great effort for 3/4 of the game. Effort unfortunately isn't a column on the ladder.
- Again the elephant in the room GOAL KICKING. Saw a post of mine from July 2018 came up , well 10 months on and nothing has changed. Richo refuses to publicly state it , dancing around it with spin and terms like "finishing" . It's the AFL versions of Seinfeld " Its not a lie if you believe it". Man up and hold players/ coaches to account as 3 years later we still lose games because of it.
- inexperience showed up big time yesterday, but you can live with that and they will learn from it. What i can't handle is senior players not being switched on. Newnes on the wing 3rd qtr centre bounce next to Sidebototm. I don't know whether he was ball watching, not paying attention or totally had not regard for a player which is a gun, but sidebottom sprints off the wing, links up on the clearance and Collingwood Goal. Newnes is standing on the wing watching like " s*** what just happened" . Played nearly every game last year and was ordinary, a couple decent game early but back to old habits but never accountable. Not just him and I admit after last year i think he is gifted games, but the last qtr the senior guys were missing .
- Richo/ match committee lacks guts to drop senior players and has done so for 2 years now. Last 2 years the names : Dunstan, Lonie, Acres, Sinclair, Marshall, Battle, Long, Rice, Coffield, Phillips, appear in the outs, but during this time only Billings who got 5 chances before being dropped is a name i can think of.
- The use of Acres as a back up ruck has completely stuffed his development as a player. instead of developing as a mid/wing, he is forced to second ruck against ruckman. Surely Bruce , whose form is up and down, can ruck to rest Marshall , and push Acres forward if that is needed. I can see him asking to leave at seasons end of he is continued to play this way. Not going to be a star but will be a good midfielder
- Injuries have opened the door to expose players like Paton, Wilkie, Young, Parker, McKenzie. Some good, some found out but that's ok.

We sit 4-5 , which at the start off the season i would have taken. To me the next 5 games will show what this group of players and coaches can do.

0-5 man the life rafts.

Terrific post. Well thought out. I watched the Newnes incident - you’re spot on. When we needed an experienced senior player to stand up ... he simply ambled and watched it all unfold. Horrendous - not a leader’s ar$e.

Newnes embodies everything wrong with the Richardson era. He has played 115 games straight. I’ll just leave that there ... One. Hundred. And. Fifteen.

And he is still barely a C-grader.

Meanwhile ... Picks 7 & 8 are rotting away at Sandy.

Go you red, black & white warriors
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Carlton- if we don't win, we're total spuds

Port in China- we'll surely choke, and not just from excessive pollution

GC +Brissie: hold onto your panties, they will scare us for sure

Tigers: we lose by 40+, no question

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Sun 19 May 2019 9:23pm
older saint wrote: Sun 19 May 2019 6:39pm I deliberately banned myself from the forum after the game yesterday as i was so disappointed.

24 hours later:

0-5 man the life rafts.

Terrific post. Well thought out. I watched the Newnes incident - you’re spot on. When we needed an experienced senior player to stand up ... he simply ambled and watched it all unfold. Horrendous - not a leader’s ar$e.

Newnes embodies everything wrong with the Richardson era. He has played 115 games straight. I’ll just leave that there ... One. Hundred. And. Fifteen.

And he is still barely a C-grader.

Meanwhile ... Picks 7 & 8 are rotting away at Sandy.
A bit harsh on Newnes. He's having a good year.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Newnes is ordinary and should be dropped.

We were good to 3/4 time....Pies are a class above but we are not all that far away.

We should keep experimenting with players, but players like Newnes have demonstrated they are B- roleplayers who are depth only.

Nee!
Royston
Club Player

Newnes should be traded, not just dropped. Average and not going to improve. Bring in Coffield to play Newnes' position. An article during the week about forward entry efficiencies and ball retention once inside 50 (for memory) had Newnes' top 5 in the league. This is a case of stats not being reality....he butchers it, doesn't kick the goals he should and general lack of football nous are my knocks on him. Past the stage of an upward learning curve and improvement....we should now be trying to 'upgrade / replace' internally with someone younger...ie Coffield or try Hind and see what he brings...

guitars4
Club Player

Even though Sandy lost Clark & Coffield were in the best lets give these blokes a chance to see what they have to offer, hey what do we have to lose

saintbob
SS Life Member

Newnes plays bruise free football and when things are going our way he looks good but when we’re struggling he gets exposed badly.

I think at stint st Sandy will do him some good, it might just be the kick in the arse he needs.

guitars4
Club Player

saintbob wrote: Sun 19 May 2019 11:46pm Newnes plays bruise free football and when things are going our way he looks good but when we’re struggling he gets exposed badly.

I think at stint st Sandy will do him some good, it might just be the kick in the arse he needs.
Could not agree more Bob a down hill skier & when the going gets tough he doesn't get going IMO anyway

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

saintbob wrote: Sun 19 May 2019 11:46pm Newnes plays bruise free football and when things are going our way he looks good but when we’re struggling he gets exposed badly.

He's like the rest of our group.
The Portsea Beach wrestling, the boxing, etc, worked to make them rabid like wolves, until the Giants game.
Then, it wore off and they've returned to their natural state.
It was too good to last.

They're soft as butter.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Josh Battle
Club Player

Royston wrote: Sun 19 May 2019 10:22pm An article during the week about forward entry efficiencies and ball retention once inside 50 (for memory) had Newnes' top 5 in the league. This is a case of stats not being reality...
+1

So that's why he keeps getting a game. And that's why Seb keeps his spot in the centre. I cringe when some coaches reach for the stats sheet when asked to sum up a game. Maybe that's a reflection of the coach not having a feel for his players and not having a sense of who his real playmakers need to be.

I understand there's a lot going on in the box and sometimes it's just as important for a coach to look at what's going on ahead of the play or away from the footy, but I get annoyed when they fail to recognise the matchwinners in a team. If Newnes and Ross spent more energy blocking rather than running sideways for a cheap handball receive, we'd be causing more grief to our opposition. Acres and Marshall and Savage and Gresh and Billings need support from their team mates. When these guys are given a clear run they make things happen.

Josh Bruce didn't star but he usually creates opportunities for our small forwards by crashing packs. Membrey had a good day, but he plays selfish footy at times. Membrey needs to lead opposite to where Bruce and the small forwards are going to be. If he led the other way more times we'd have more team goals.