Clark facing the axe

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Re: Clark facing the axe

Alan, Alan , Alan.....

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 3:24pm
Cairnsman wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 3:17pm
skeptic wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 3:00pm

You’re free to challenge anything you want... I don’t see any challenging though. Just insults. It’s not so easy when you add substance yourself which I bet is why you avoid.
Don’t think I haven’t notice that you post more to/about me as I’ve backed off these past few weeks. True mark of a coward and a bully.

I read one of your posts the other day... if we keep winning we’ll make the finals. Ripping stuff. How about you actually post an opinion with substance or actually retort.

Are you scared I’ll dump all over it
Skeppers now you just sound childish, mate all I said was conspiracy theory Thursday to a comment you know is going to create all this convo so dont be so farking sensitive, you are bloody running a bloke into the ground with insults dressed up as rational opinions, over, and over, and over again. Like I said you would, couldn't do that face to face to someone without eventual getting one put on your nose. So own the fact it is only possible for you to get away with it with the wonderfuly modern tool that is an anonymous social media account.

I like a lot of the other stuff you post.
Oh cut the BS. You are making connections that aren’t there like in this case because you’re obsessed and you’ve made a clear effort to follow me around and throw insults.
That is why this is an issue. It’s why you have to lie, PM me, quote me thread after thread and ignore all the other criticism of Richo on this forum that is prevalent atm and largely unconnected to me.

Own your behaviour.

What do I have to do to get you to leave me alone?
Own it Skeppers. The irony is you have relentlessly driven the knives into Alan for over 2 years now and can't cop someone giving you a bit back. At least you can defend yourself with rational opinion.

<moderator has assessed posts made by skeptic and the constant stalking / trolling that Cairnsman has done consistently and when viewed in isolation, reading post after post, it is clear that Cairnsman is trolling and is the cause of an ongoing dispute and thus receives a one week ban>

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 3:05pm
The_Dud wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 2:58pm The data shows clearly Cho is not a good head coach. Opinions are irrelevant.
The data shows that the club has been unsuccessful. It is your opinion that this is largely/entirely the fault of the coach. There is no data to show how another coach would perform in exactly the same situation.
This just nails the conundrum.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 3:42pm
satchmo wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 3:05pm
The_Dud wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 2:58pm The data shows clearly Cho is not a good head coach. Opinions are irrelevant.
The data shows that the club has been unsuccessful. It is your opinion that this is largely/entirely the fault of the coach. There is no data to show how another coach would perform in exactly the same situation.
This just nails the conundrum.
But there is data to show how every coach has gone over the history of the AFL. Maybe Richo is just the unluckiest... :roll:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 3:40pm
skeptic wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 3:24pm
Cairnsman wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 3:17pm
skeptic wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 3:00pm

You’re free to challenge anything you want... I don’t see any challenging though. Just insults. It’s not so easy when you add substance yourself which I bet is why you avoid.
Don’t think I haven’t notice that you post more to/about me as I’ve backed off these past few weeks. True mark of a coward and a bully.

I read one of your posts the other day... if we keep winning we’ll make the finals. Ripping stuff. How about you actually post an opinion with substance or actually retort.

Are you scared I’ll dump all over it
Skeppers now you just sound childish, mate all I said was conspiracy theory Thursday to a comment you know is going to create all this convo so dont be so farking sensitive, you are bloody running a bloke into the ground with insults dressed up as rational opinions, over, and over, and over again. Like I said you would, couldn't do that face to face to someone without eventual getting one put on your nose. So own the fact it is only possible for you to get away with it with the wonderfuly modern tool that is an anonymous social media account.

I like a lot of the other stuff you post.
Oh cut the BS. You are making connections that aren’t there like in this case because you’re obsessed and you’ve made a clear effort to follow me around and throw insults.
That is why this is an issue. It’s why you have to lie, PM me, quote me thread after thread and ignore all the other criticism of Richo on this forum that is prevalent atm and largely unconnected to me.

Own your behaviour.

What do I have to do to get you to leave me alone?
Own it Skeppers. The irony is you have relentlessly driven the knives into Alan for over 2 years now and can't cop someone giving you a bit back. At least you can defend yourself with rational opinion.
2 years now...
There’s another lie.

My criticism started halfway through last year but hey you’re not an obsessive bully.

See you on the match thread tonight.

I’ll post something innocuous like that was a bad miss and you’ll just lose your mind

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

The data also shows that out of the last 13 occasions we replaced the head coach, we went backwards 9 times.
So we only improved 30% of the time... we went backwards 70% of the time (in w/l ratio).

And this data spans a lot longer than 5 years... (by the way, 5 years, 2 of which are injury-riddled, is a small sample size, the dud).

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

King12 wrote: Thu 09 May 2019 2:34pm
Scollop wrote: Thu 09 May 2019 2:03pm If we are serious contenders in 2019 then fair enough, but with our injuries to key personnel, isn't it time the footy department reassess their goals for this year?

I believe young blokes need a plan. They need certainty and they need a disciplined coach who they can trust. Tell the kid at the start of the year that when he earns a call up to the seniors that you'll give him 4 games minimum no matter what.

Talking about a young bloke in his second year of AFL/VFL footy and using terms like "he's been struggling a bit" is the usual bs we've come to expect from Cho. Axing players and changing the team is ok, but you have to treat young blokes differently to your senior or more experienced players.

Hunter had an outstanding pre-season and is working hard at improving his footy. It is up to the leaders at the club and especially the head coach to build belief and to have a plan based on developing confidence in individuals which will provide dividends with consistency and good form.

It is wrong in my opinion to be expecting Hunter's KPI's to be the same as Jade Gresham or Dean Kent or Jack Newnes or Jack Sinclair. It is up to Cho to ensure Hunter knows where he stands with regard to how many games he plays in the seniors. And FFS, don't tell us in one sentence that he's going to be a ripper and then next minute use negative words like 'he's struggling' and 'he's in a slump'

Richo has been in a slump since mid 2017
That's your opinion, fair enough.

However a couple of questions/statements for you to ponder.

Do you really think the club doesn't have a plan for Hunter, our other young players and all of our playing list?

Before you answer, ponder the following, if the club had no plans in place,why are the all putting pen to paper?

Hunter would know exactly where he stands before the coach announces anything to the press.

You can't tell anyone their in for 4 games, what about the guys working their backside off @ Sandy trying to get back in?

'Oh, you killing it down there,but, sorry we have guaranteed Hunter and others that spot in the one's the next 4 weeks'.

It simply doesn't work like that, I understand your point, but it's not the simple.

He had a great preseason, yes, however preseason is just that, preseason, way different to what we are in at the moment.

Hunter's KPI's would be individually based like all players, so no comparison with more seasoned players, that's a fact at every club.

I see and understand what your are saying, however, it is way more complex than that.

Once again, I stress I'm not having a go at you and understand your points, however, my opinion (and it's only an opinion), is that I think your blatant dislike for Richo is compromising your judgement.

PS, the head coach is not always in charge of the player development solely, most of that work is actually done by development/line/assistant coaches, so in short, yes, Alan is in charge and accountable, however if players weren't happy, they wouldn't all be re-signing!

As I said, no offence to your post/opinion intended, it might just be easier for you to just not always point the finger at Alan.

Have a lovely day!

If that's how it is how the hell did Weller keep getting games week after week in 2018 whilst VFL players excelled? Same coach...same b.s.

He's not concerned about the team growth, he needs wins to keep his job. We lose tomorrow and we go from 1st place at the start of round 5 to 10th or 11th the end of the 8th round....lose to Collingwood and we are done for the season, may still get 8 or 9 wins which is not bad....but if we know that is almost certain why not keep developing players?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 5:02pm The data also shows that out of the last 13 occasions we replaced the head coach, we went backwards 9 times.
So we only improved 30% of the time... we went backwards 70% of the time (in w/l ratio).

And this data spans a lot longer than 5 years... (by the way, 5 years, 2 of which are injury-riddled, is a small sample size, the dud).
Just like our w/l ratio went backwards when we replaced Watters with Richo? (Oh, and throughout our history the data shows that when replacing a coach with an equal or worse record than Richo we’ve improved 12 out of 22 times, so improved more than half the time :D )

And no, 5+ years (116 games) is a large enough sample size when it comes to coaching. And again, has a coach EVER coached 5 (soon to be 6) years in a row with no finals?

Looking at the 18 current coaches, Richo’s record puts him at 15th, with 14th being quite a large jump away.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

samoht wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 2:59pm Does the data take into account the headwinds and the fact that we're outperforming/beating expectations based on our list and injuries?
Hmmmm no. Just no. Either you've just started supporting the club yesterday or you have already allowed the club to sweep their mega promises, projections, expectations and plan for 2019 to be our GF year?

" The Saints unveiled their "strategic framework" for 2014-2018 to the club's members and key stakeholders at their season launch on Thursday night.

The vision is to ensure the club is "admired as a competition leader in recruiting, player development and coaching" by 2018. The plan is to deliver Grand Final success before 2020 – which will be the Saints' second flag after their sole 1966 triumph – and ensure the club is in the top four by 2018."

Our list IS the list Richo,Burke, Finnis, Pelchen helped build. Richo was touted as a player development coach of the century ( facts are he was damn good in that role, very good BEFORE he became head coach).
The club traded and drafted their way purposefully to this very point in 2019. No accident we are a bottom 4-6 club that looks like a club 1-2 years into a new reboot....when we are in actually in season 6 of a reboot. This is what I expected.

Thems the facts, the statistical data does not lie. We have one of the worst coaches we've had in 30 years, only 2 coaches in 30 years have worse win loss records and they were fired - Blight 15 games, Watson 44. How many games does Richo need to prove he's just not even a decent head coach, I 've talked to him many times, he is absolutely a very decent man, a genuine guy, I know he loves his family and is trying his best.

twirlyhair
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 3:30pm
samoht wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 2:59pm Does the data take into account the headwinds and the fact that we're outperforming/beating expectations based on our list and injuries?
Every team has injuries.

5+ years is a large sample size, we’re not talking about a 1 or 2 year coach.

The head coach sets the agenda for the club. 100+ games, no finals, 33% won. Has there EVER been as bad a record in the history of the AFL?
Really that's what you think Dud? Come on Dud. Broken record.

twirlyhair
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 6:03pm
samoht wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 5:02pm The data also shows that out of the last 13 occasions we replaced the head coach, we went backwards 9 times.

Just like our w/l ratio went backwards when we replaced Watters with Richo? (Oh, and throughout our history the data shows that when replacing a coach with an equal or worse record than Richo we’ve improved 12 out of 22 times, so improved more than half the time :D )

And no, 5+ years (116 games) is a large enough sample size when it comes to coaching. And again, has a coach EVER coached 5 (soon to be 6) years in a row with no finals?

Looking at the 18 current coaches, Richo’s record puts him at 15th, with 14th being quite a large jump away.
By the way, I prefer to listen to what Leigh Mathews says about the role of the head coach in modern day footy compared to your 1970s view. Have a listen to what he says and you might learn something.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

There's many areas where I believe Richo coaches like a novice first or second year coach but there's one main area I'd like to highlight which I think summarises why I believe he isn't cut out to be a head coach. Matthews, Sheedy, Pagan, Malthouse, Beveridge and even Hardwick have that edge of toughness and ruthlessness that I think is just lacking in Richo.

Clarko famously punished his players in 2017 when they started copping some thrashings and started embarrassing themselves and Clarko thought he'd do some thrashing of his own. I'll get to that soon...

The Saints players admitted that the 2018/2019 preseason was one of the best they'd had since they'd arrived at the club. It is an indictment on the head coach that it's taken 5 years for senior players to feel like they'd been pushed to their limit. You'd think that they'd feel that way about every preseason

It could be perceived that up until this year that the head coach had been a bit soft.

You're not going to be successful in this caper if you are soft. Clarko and many other successful coaches get results because they are not soft

When the Hawks started looking and playing soft, their coach 'schnitzelled' them. It wasn't the first time.

https://www.goldfm.com.au/sport/afl/new ... chnitzeled

Why am I using the word soft and associating this word with the Saints team under Richo? Because it needs to be revisited

Nick Riewoldt wouldn't be saying that the Saints players and coach were soft if they were'nt soft.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=95620&hilit=richo+s ... t#p1736187

When Dempster, Schnieder, Chips and other senior players were still there I think they assisted Richo with setting standards and providing leadership. When Roo and Joey retired there was an imstant void
Last edited by Scollop on Sat 11 May 2019 7:19pm, edited 2 times in total.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

twirlyhair wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 6:49pm
Every team has injuries.

The head coach sets the agenda for the club. 100+ games, no finals, 33% won. Has there EVER been as bad a record in the history of the AFL?
I’m just responding to questions.

And even with my broken record, still no one has been able to tell me if anyone has EVER had as bad a record as Richo in the history of the AFL/VFL?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 7:12pm
Every team has injuries.

And even with my broken record, still no one has been able to tell me if anyone has EVER had as bad a record as Richo in the history of the AFL/VFL?
What I find interesting is that whilst you cop some insults... I rarely read a spirited defence of the coaching.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 7:57pm
Every team has injuries.

What I find interesting is that whilst you cop some insults... I rarely read a spirited defence of the coaching.
Interesting perspective. I only see The_Dud as being insulting.

At any rate, it's hard to argue that Richo is doing a great job. My point is (and has always been) that the Club as a whole has failed, and to blame one individual would be to let the entire organisation off the hook. Those at the club will have a much better idea of how each person is performing, and IF it is the case that it is entirely/largely Richo's fault, then he will be sacked. He will be sacked eventually anyway, they always are! Whoever takes his place will be sacked at some point too.
I would prefer that the club addresses whatever problems they have and continues to improve across the board, in an ongoing process.
I hope that Richo is our next Premiership coach.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 8:17pm
Every team has injuries.

At any rate, it's hard to argue that Richo is doing a great job. My point is (and has always been) that the Club as a whole has failed, and to blame one individual would be to let the entire organisation off the hook. Those at the club will have a much better idea of how each person is performing, and IF it is the case that it is entirely/largely Richo's fault, then he will be sacked. He will be sacked eventually anyway, they always are! Whoever takes his place will be sacked at some point too.
I would prefer that the club addresses whatever problems they have and continues to improve across the board, in an ongoing process.
When have I ever been insulting?

I’ve commented on his job performance, but never insulted him personally. I’m sure he’s a great bloke, but you need more than that to be a good coach.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 8:21pm
Every team has injuries.

I’ve commented on his job performance, but never insulted him personally. I’m sure he’s a great bloke, but you need more than that to be a good coach.
Well perhaps it's my interpretation, or perhaps it's just the vibe. You have certainly implied that he is the worst coach in AFL history, which is pretty insulting. I can think of two premiership coaches that were probably worse!

*Allegedly.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Every team has injuries.

I think this is a fair post. Dud can no doubt speak for himself but I doubt he blames the coach entirely for all of our problems. My opinion is that the issue has become so overblown on this forum that’s actually quite difficult to have a reasonable discussion on the coach. Just keeps turning into offenders vs defenders.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 8:40pm
Every team has injuries.

I think this is a fair post. Dud can no doubt speak for himself but I doubt he blames the coach entirely for all of our problems. My opinion is that the issue has become so overblown on this forum that’s actually quite difficult to have a reasonable discussion on the coach. Just keeps turning into offenders vs defenders.
On that I absolutely concur.
That's progress! :D

*Allegedly.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 8:26pm
Every team has injuries.

Well perhaps it's my interpretation, or perhaps it's just the vibe. You have certainly implied that he is the worst coach in AFL history, which is pretty insulting. I can think of two premiership coaches that were probably worse!
Yes indeed I am saying he has the worst record of 117 game coaches, because that’s what the results say, and this is a result based game. Nothing personal.

And believe me, I blame the incompetent board who extended his contract and then haven’t had the guts to own up to their mistake and fire him a season ago.

I think we made many improvements in the off season but failed to pull the trigger on the biggest issue.

I’d also like to know who those 2 premiership coaches are!

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 11:07pm
Every team has injuries.

Yes indeed I am saying he has the worst record of 117 game coaches, because that’s what the results say, and this is a result based game. Nothing personal.

And believe me, I blame the incompetent board who extended his contract and then haven’t had the guts to own up to their mistake and fire him a season ago.

I think we made many improvements in the off season but failed to pull the trigger on the biggest issue.

Tony Jewell and Percy Jones come to mind! :oops:

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 11:16pm
The_Dud wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 11:07pm
Every team has injuries.

Tony Jewell and Percy Jones come to mind! :oops:
Hadn't thought of them!

*Allegedly.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

It's devolved/degenerated into a coach thread ...

Anyway ..
It’s all about recruiting - always was. It helps of course if you can avoid injuries - we’ve had more than our fair share over the last 2 years, plus sheer bad luck (McCartin, Steven and Roberton).

We need to emulate the successful teams such as the Hawks and land the skilful A graders!
The Hawks are trying to entice Coniglio at the moment .... that’s exactly who we could use in our very average and poorly-skilled midfield.
Are we just napping while this is happening?

Established A graders are a limited resource ... we need to go after them.

We are not world-beaters and our coaches (including Ratten) can only do so much .... but I am proud to say that it was still enough to beat Clarko’s Hawks!,,
Now, if only we had their injury list .. there’s only 3 on it!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

When you have a team that is crying out for skilled footballers that can kick on either foot and you have a selection committee that does not value that players contribution of course coaching comes into it. Our coach essentially has a different philosophy to other clubs.

The top ten players (I've already posted on Dow, Cerra and Naughton) from the 2017 draft have all had varying form and been in slumps at stages this year. Even Cam Rainer (look at his stats and look how his coach keeps playing him). Their sides are also in the top 8 and they didn't flinch like Richo.

The dividend will come to you if you stick to the original reasons you acquired the asset and if you are patient. If their sides make finals, these will be the guys that can deliver something special. You have to invest AFL games into these kids.

Samoht; You used the term 'tough love' earlier in this thread. I cannot condone a coach treating Clark the same as a player that has been at the club 4 or 5 years. Unfortunately the nature of the AFL draft is that 18 year old kids come into the system and they have to be taught and they have to build confidence. He needs development. It's as simple as that

Axe Brown. No problem (except don't do it when our backline was devoid of experience). Axe Gresh or Kent for being undisciplined - I have no problem and will applaud a coach who sets standards. Axe Newnes or Seb Ross and hurt them in their back pocket. No problem there either. There are players that can replace most of these guys and all they need is faith and a fair and reasonable amount of opportunity

Special
Club Player

Clark has 28 touches for Sandy.

Let’s give him a block of 6 to 8 games at Sandy and then consider a return if he maintains VFL form.

He needa a good block of VFL footy not incorrectly picked at AFL level.