team for round 8

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: team for round 8

I think the Eagles have gone too tall. If we play a fast game tomorrow, I think we win.
No high, slow bombs into the forward line though or we play into their hands.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Very good ins and outs.

I reckon Phillip's will be a big game player one day.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
twirlyhair
Club Player

Toy Saint wrote: Fri 10 May 2019 8:46am It's difficult for me to be critical of this weeks team, the fact is that we are in the top 8 already, and we can expect to start getting good players back after the bye. Believe it or not, we are a chance for the finals. And we are playing a good team who are not playing well at our home ground. There is a chance we could win. As such, I'd prefer the selectors to pick a team that gave us the best chance to win.

Last week they chose the more agile Joyce against Cameron, good in theory, but it failed. West Coast have the biggest monster forwards in the competition, and that's why we have Brown, so it's horses for courses.

We've been slaughtered out of the middle, and Dunstan should help there, he a good at getting the ball. He replaces Hunter who would be fringe at most clubs at this stage of his development.

Philips for Marsh effectively gives us more run through the middle and a smaller, quicker forward line. This selection tells the world that we've decided to but their big tall team against our quick running team, and roll the dice. The odds are still in their favor, but we've given ourselves a chance.

We've got a couple under an injury cloud, and Long and Kent who's form probably warrants a rest, but they are the ideal types for this game plan. If there's a late change, I'd expect Hind would be the ideal replacement.

My key complaint with the selection committee is their decision for Bruce to play injured, a decision I strongly disagree with. If he's not 100% get a fit person into the team, Marsh was actually better than Bruce last week.

In summary, I feel the selectors have given us a team that has the potential to defeat last years premiers.
Great post! I pray that Bruce has a good game. When he does, we are more likely than not to win.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Surprised by Phillips inclusion. Not a bad thing but most press out of sandy has been about others including. Hind and young.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Did WCE serious drop Hickey after the Geelong game?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 10 May 2019 9:07pm Did WCE serious drop Hickey after the Geelong game?
They know his past form when the saints take the field.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Fri 10 May 2019 6:36pm I think the Eagles have gone too tall. If we play a fast game tomorrow, I think we win.
No high, slow bombs into the forward line though or we play into their hands.
Slow bombs into the forward line is our Modus Operandi (M.O.)

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 10 May 2019 9:07pm Did WCE serious drop Hickey after the Geelong game?
Injured I think

saintbob
SS Life Member

Glad to see Phillips back in, I really like this kid. Hopefully he gets a decent run at it, unlike Clarke who really just needs the same chances afforded to the likes of Long and Kent.

Dunstan baffles me, slow midfield made even slower with his inclusion.
Hind or Young should’ve been given a chance first, IMO
Good to have Browny back as well, although I reckon we may have been better to keep Marsh or Joyce in as well especially if their big blokes get going. Obviously we’ll try and out run them, but there appears to be now Plan B if that doesn’t work.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 09 May 2019 9:11pm I thought we might have started tanking last week but this week our beloved Cho has confirmed (for me personnally at least) that he and his match committee have NFI.

What a confidence boost for Darragh. Bring him in to play 1 game on the best full forward currently in the competition, and then axe him. If you weren't sure all you armchair experts...that's called developing your talent

Nathan Brown is a senior player and they learn their lessons a lot quicker than younger blokes, so I'm sure he won't go back to playing the way he has usually played over the last 3 years. He would have gained a lot of confidence in the VFL because apparently that's where you build confidence. We need him to play well and we had a plan to bring him straight back in when we were playing at home at Marvel. Disciplined coaches stick to their plan and...anyhow that's what I promised Nath

Y'see we're still in with a big chance to win 10 or more games this year. The statistics tell you that it is so...after winning your first 4 out of 7 the maths is clear. Park aside all our injuries. Park aside that half our team are AFL novices. You have to back in your senior players (apart from Armo of course) and you never know...we might sneak into the 8 and stranger things have happened. You can't deny it
Serious question, what experience do have as a player and/or a coach.

I'm no armchair expert but I'm tipping you would have lost the locker room if you were a coach at any level.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

He got a hamstring injury.
This was the same problem he always had with us too. You could insert Stanley and Longer's names in that sentence too and it would also ring true. Stanley has still had injury problems at Geelong as well.

I am spewing about this actually, and the fact that Longer got dropped as I wanted to see a ruck-off so that we could get an answer once and for all about who was the better player.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Not a fan of Dunstan for no other reason than he brings little to our midfield but he has been in great form at sandy so reward for effort there. I will hopefully see us play vfl tomorrow so I can have some real input regarding young Hind and king

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 9:35am
This was the same problem he always had with us too. You could insert Stanley and Longer's names in that sentence too and it would also ring true. Stanley has still had injury problems at Geelong as well.

I am spewing about this actually, and the fact that Longer got dropped as I wanted to see a ruck-off so that we could get an answer once and for all about who was the better player.
I don’t think it’s much of an argument...
Hickey = played the majority of his time here as senior ruck and was in the WCE team until injury
Longer = bit player with us, has been out of the team, overtaken by Marshall, played one game and dumped

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Cheers. I couldn’t see his name on their injury list so wasn’t sure.

I am also disappointed we didn’t get the Hickey v Longer battle to settle things once and for all!

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

The_Dud wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 3:02pm

I am also disappointed we didn’t get the Hickey v Longer battle to settle things once and for all!
I would have thought the stats have already answered this

Seeya
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 3:25pm
The_Dud wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 3:02pm

I would have thought the stats have already answered this
For some. Others are still torn and like to measure the unmeasurables. :)

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

The_Dud wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 3:35pm
For some. Others are still torn and like to measure the unmeasurables. :)
- then what about coaches votes over their careers?

Seeya