Rozee and Bailey Smith

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Rozee and Bailey Smith

I understand Hindsight is 20/20 but this isn’t hindsight a lot of people who knew enough about the draft and Under 18’s knew it was the strongest mid draft in the last 20 years especially the top 4 or so mids... these were:
Walsh
Rankine
Smith
Rozee

All huge wraps on them, instead we chose a KPF who was injured nearly the whole year. I won’t harp on this because i already have made numerous threads, but this thread can track the two that got away.. smith and rozee.

Both absolutely flying early.. Rozee and smith both look like serious players and I’m gutted they’re not wth us.

nw7
Club Player

Re: Rozee and Bailey Smith

They are both good players but we need a key position forward and we hope Max King will be the superstar we need. Im happy with the choice. Not so sure about last years top 10 picks? Could we have done better or aren't we developing them properly?

outside66
Club Player

Way too early on this one. King could easily wind up as the best player of the lot and going by our game against the Giants, we are seriously lacking a quality tall forward. So I reckon the brakes need to be pumped abit until he's had a go before bemoaning other teams draftees.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

nw7 wrote: Mon 06 May 2019 9:23am They are both good players but we need a key position forward and we hope Max King will be the superstar we need. Im happy with the choice. Not so sure about last years top 10 picks? Could we have done better or aren't we developing them properly?
He may be but there is a 60% chance he will do his knee again - is it worth the risk when we are screaming for midfield talent. Hindisght but we should have taken Naughton instead of Coffield the year before and filled our boots with midfielders this year. Its embarrassing that we chose to trade out our 2nd and 3rd round picks in last years draft, goes to show what a debacle our recruiting has been.

They role out we will take the best available mantra every year which is bull sh*t, what they actually mean is we will draft HBF's and try to turn them into midfielders or players with a history of injuries because we have a magic wand!

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

six games into 15 plus year careers is a bit early to tell

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

I remember similar discussions when Riewoldt didn't play early in his first year. Guess all the people who didn't want him 5 games into his first year ended up right. :shock: :shock: :shock:

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Crossy66
Club Player

Funny how things work out, many wanted to take Izak Rankine , but he ended up at the Suns, tore a hammy in JLT and hasnt played a game yet. If he comes back in the next few weeks, he will have missed same amount of footy this year as M King. WHo knows, he might have nathan Freeman hammies and end up being a bust.
As things have turned out, maybe taking the best KPF was an inspired decision!

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Mon 06 May 2019 12:57pm Funny how things work out, many wanted to take Izak Rankine , but he ended up at the Suns, tore a hammy in JLT and hasnt played a game yet. If he comes back in the next few weeks, he will have missed same amount of footy this year as M King. WHo knows, he might have nathan Freeman hammies and end up being a bust.
The point in terms of the OP is we wont know for a few years and it's over reacting

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Guys, we're only 16 months away from bringing Ben King to St Kilda for pick 20-25.

That's Max's true value: we get to recruit a family of St Kilda fans who can bookend our team for the next decade. For the price of a 1st and 2nd round pick.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Crossy66
Club Player

ausfatcat wrote: Mon 06 May 2019 1:34pm
Crossy66 wrote: Mon 06 May 2019 12:57pm Funny how things work out, many wanted to take Izak Rankine , but he ended up at the Suns, tore a hammy in JLT and hasnt played a game yet. If he comes back in the next few weeks, he will have missed same amount of footy this year as M King. WHo knows, he might have nathan Freeman hammies and end up being a bust.
The point in terms of the OP is we wont know for a few years and it's over reacting
Not how it reads. MS is saying we took a KPF in a draft loaded with midfield stars and look how well they are doing whilst our KPF has a crook knee and cant get on the park

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Mon 06 May 2019 1:45pm Guys, we're only 16 months away from bringing Ben King to St Kilda for pick 20-25.

That's Max's true value: we get to recruit a family of St Kilda fans who can bookend our team for the next decade. For the price of a 1st and 2nd round pick.
That's what they said about Paddy and Hugh.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Crossy66
Club Player

evertonfc wrote: Mon 06 May 2019 1:45pm Guys, we're only 16 months away from bringing Ben King to St Kilda for pick 20-25.

Slight problem. Suns are playing him forward and he had 8 marks 3 goals from CHF. If Ben comes to the saints max may not get a game :D

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

A bird in the hand....

The King pick is now vital to our future. After missing so many in reason years we need a BOOM.

So so, and BUST will be disastrous for us.

You never judge draft picks based on any one pick, but so far for a long, long time we have had few out performs and not one gun (Billings, may be and Gresh possibly though I am not sure he will become an out and out gun). By contrast it would see that the Dogs have gained the Bont and now Naughton. The cats just keep making many more good picks than bad.

IF King and Bytel could both come good it could get our support cast back on track. But as it stands it is a big IF. But our fortunes are very much now tied to that IF.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Special
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Mon 06 May 2019 2:10pm

A bird in the hand....

The King pick is now vital to our future. After missing so many in reason years we need a BOOM.

So so, and BUST will be disastrous for us.

You never judge draft picks based on any one pick, but so far for a long, long time we have had few out performs and not one gun (Billings, may be and Gresh possibly though I am not sure he will become an out and out gun). By contrast it would see that the Dogs have gained the Bont and now Naughton. The cats just keep making many more good picks than bad.

IF King and Bytel could both come good it could get our support cast back on track. But as it stands it is a big IF. But our fortunes are very much now tied to that IF.
We should be called the Gunners.

Gunna do this gunna do that when this and that come good...

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Thanks, SP.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I’ve watched Rozee and Smith very closely in all of there matches mainly because they are in my super coach team. Watching how exciting they are and they absolutely are doesn’t get me envious but excited as to how good Max King will be. I can’t wait

ace
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Mon 06 May 2019 2:02pm

That's what they said about Paddy and Hugh.
What was said about Paddy & Hugh came out of the mouth of fish.
Moral: Don't listen to fish.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Our head recruiter (Liberatore) wanted Rozee. He was overruled by Lethlean

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Mon 06 May 2019 7:35pm Our head recruiter (Liberatore) wanted Rozee. He was overruled by Lethlean
Can I ask how you know this?

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

I was hoping we'd pick Bailey Smith.
He looked like a sure thing to me - and he was exactly what we needed - a classy midfielder with elite skills.

I thought that's the only way we were going to start improving our F50 entries!

Bailey's averaging 17 possessions from only 70% game time and is a year younger than Rozee (he's just over 18 years old) - I'm sure Rozee will become a class act too.

Good recruiting by the Bulldogs!
Last edited by samoht on Mon 06 May 2019 7:53pm, edited 1 time in total.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

mightysainters wrote: Mon 06 May 2019 9:20am I understand Hindsight is 20/20 but this isn’t hindsight a lot of people who knew enough about the draft and Under 18’s knew it was the strongest mid draft in the last 20 years especially the top 4 or so mids... these were:
Walsh
Rankine
Smith
Rozee

All huge wraps on them, instead we chose a KPF who was injured nearly the whole year. I won’t harp on this because i already have made numerous threads, but this thread can track the two that got away.. smith and rozee.

Both absolutely flying early.. Rozee and smith both look like serious players and I’m gutted they’re not wth us.
Walsh and Rankine were gone by our pick. No one at the time thought that Rozee was as good as those two.

In regard to Rozee, there would have been a huge risk of him going home in 2 years. Both the SA Clubs desperately wanted him, Rankine and Lukotious. They'd be coming after Rozee immediately if we'd taken him. And if he likes his home and has both Clubs in the State courting him, they'd probably get him.

What we're seeing is that it was a bloody good draft. Many experienced U18 watchers, Kevin Sheehan been one, have rated King the best of the lot.

Kilda
Club Player

Spot on. That’s the goal.

I’m more than content with our pick 4 but I’m far more concerned about our picks 7 & 8 from the preceding year.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote: Mon 06 May 2019 7:53pm
mightysainters wrote: Mon 06 May 2019 9:20am I understand Hindsight is 20/20 but this isn’t hindsight a lot of people who knew enough about the draft and Under 18’s knew it was the strongest mid draft in the last 20 years especially the top 4 or so mids... these were:
Walsh
Rankine
Smith
Rozee

Walsh and Rankine were gone by our pick. No one at the time thought that Rozee was as good as those two.

If you re-read his post you will understand that he was talking about taking Smith and Rozee.

As for Rozee, many, including our own head recruiter, thought Rozee would have been worth taking with our first pick.

Rozee, like King, grew up as a St Kilda supporter.

Rozee also is not an "Adelaide Boy".

ace
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Mon 06 May 2019 7:44pm
cwrcyn wrote: Mon 06 May 2019 7:35pm Our head recruiter (Liberatore) wanted Rozee. He was overruled by Lethlean
Can I ask how you know this?
Every Welshman knows this.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Kilda wrote: Mon 06 May 2019 8:01pm

Spot on. That’s the goal.
We passed on Judd due to what we believed would happen in the future after the pick that we should have used to take him.

I hope that the club took him as they believe him to be the better player, but our head recruiter reportedly favoured Rozee. Let's hope that Lethlean made the right call, and that it was not based on trying to be "too clever".

"Too clever" recruiting has not gone that well for us.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Wed 08 May 2019 1:02am, edited 2 times in total.