Best team

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Best team

From what we have seen so far and assuming we had a full list to choose from, and also assuming Paddy and Robo retire.

B Wilkie Brown Savage
HB Geary Carlisle Newnes
C Acres Steven Billings
HF Gresham Bruce Battle
F Lonie Membrey Parker
R: Marshall, Ross, Steele
I/C: Webster , King, Hanneberry, Long
Emg Paton, DMac, Sinclair

Nee!
stonecold
SS Life Member

Re: Best team

fugazi wrote: ↑Sat 27 Apr 2019 9:09pm From what we have seen so far and assuming we had a full list to choose from, and also assuming Paddy and Robo retire.

B Wilkie Brown Savage
HB Geary Carlisle Newnes
C Acres Steven Billings
HF Gresham Bruce Battle
F Lonie Membrey Parker
πŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘Ž

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving πŸ“―πŸ“―πŸ“―πŸ“―πŸ“―
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: ↑Sat 27 Apr 2019 9:11pm
fugazi wrote: ↑Sat 27 Apr 2019 9:09pm From what we have seen so far and assuming we had a full list to choose from, and also assuming Paddy and Robo retire.

B Wilkie Brown Savage
HB Geary Carlisle Newnes
C Acres Steven Billings
HF Gresham Bruce Battle
F Lonie Membrey Parker
πŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘Ž
Some words night help.
Lers see your best team Stoney

Nee!
stonecold
SS Life Member

fugazi wrote: ↑Sat 27 Apr 2019 9:13pm
stonecold wrote: ↑Sat 27 Apr 2019 9:11pm

B Wilkie Brown Savage
HB Geary Carlisle Newnes
C Acres Steven Billings
HF Gresham Bruce Battle
F Lonie Membrey Parker
πŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘Ž
Some words night help.
Lers see your best team Stoney
πŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘Ž

shrodes
SS Life Member

Stoney got his phone stuck on the emoji keyboard :D

I reckon Paton is starting to build a nice case for being best 22. Would like to see us get games into him.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Thought so

Nee!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

A bit worrying our 2 top 10 draft picks from 2017 didn’t even make the squad

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: ↑Sat 27 Apr 2019 9:20pm A bit worrying our 2 top 10 draft picks from 2017 didn’t even make the squad
Just can't fit them in on form.
Hunter has shown less than Paton at this stage and Coffield not sighted in 2019

Nee!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

As far as planning your season you can't just think about best 22 imo. You might be able to play some players week in week out for 22 rounds, but the reality is somewhat different. We've got about 30-34 players on our senior list who should be able to perform a role and do it well. Anyway, it's usually the form of the players and injuries that determine who stays in and who drops out.

I'm sure there'll be players who surprise us like we've seen with Paton. It's the coaches job to assess who is worthy of retaining their spot in the team and managing the loads for all players and providing development and incentive for young players who have displayed enough to earn a gig in the seniors

Just like the Doggies in 2016 (who won a flag with a few of their best players missing) you may not have your starting 22 at the start of the year or at the pointy end. I think for our coaching staff there's nothing to be gained trying to work out a best starting 22.

I wouldn't be assuming that anyone has a stranglehold on their position in the Saints team and that's healthy if we want to play finals. Sure there are some that have reliably done the job and performed at a level which earns them the right to have a few bad games but we can't afford to carry anyone if we aspire to be finalists. Obviously, we will get the best results when players are 100% fit and 100% motivated.

If our coaches are smart and they don't play favourites they'll utilise the whole list to maintain some healthy competition between all seniors. I think you play to your strengths and you try and counter your opponents with the right soldier for the appropriate job. We should also have players complementing each other (e.g. If Marshall gets back up from Longer he may stay fit for more games and play better as the year unfolds).

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I like Paton . He looks composed and uses it fairly well. We may have found a gem here. Let’s see where he is at in 12 months .

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote: ↑Sat 27 Apr 2019 10:03pm I like Paton . He looks composed and uses it fairly well. We may have found a gem here. Let’s see where he is at in 12 months .
I think Paton, Wilkie, Parker and Long are all comfortably in our best 22 IMO.
Marshall, Clark and Coffield all will be too.
I'm going to be controversial here and say that tonight's game was perhaps Billy Longer's best since he joined us from Brisbane. He was marking well and trying to create a bit of run through clearing space around the contest a few times.
I thought his disposal was effective for the most part. Because Marshall wasn't there, and we sorely miss Carlisle and McCartin, he was left like a bit of a shag on a rock at times, but I think he showed enough tonight to indicate that he might play the main ruck role with Marshall playing forward for the majority of game time and then get some minutes in the ruck when Billy needs a chop out.
Think Gresham, Billings, Newnes, and Ross have all improved out of sight this year, but maybe not tonight.
Tonight was a bad game for most of our team and I think the club just have to learn from it, and get Dermot and Billy to get in their ears at training this week. Do that and we just might give the Giants a real shake next weekend.
Until we can beat the likes of Adelaide, Port Adelaide, Sydney and Geelong we can not, and should not, play finals. And we are a long way off doing that based on what I witnessed tonight. I also think the likes of North Melbourne would still give us a good run for our money based on their big players and midfield.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
stonecold
SS Life Member

samuraisaint wrote: ↑Sat 27 Apr 2019 10:23pm
Zed wrote: ↑Sat 27 Apr 2019 10:03pm I like Paton . He looks composed and uses it fairly well. We may have found a gem here. Let’s see where he is at in 12 months .
I think Paton, Wilkie, Parker and Long are all comfortably in our best 22 IMO.
Marshall, Clark and Coffield all will be too.
I'm going to be controversial here and say that tonight's game was perhaps Billy Longer's best since he joined us from Brisbane. He was marking well and trying to create a bit of run through clearing space around the contest a few times.
I thought his disposal was effective for the most part. Because Marshall wasn't there, and we sorely miss Carlisle and McCartin, he was left like a bit of a shag on a rock at times, but I think he showed enough tonight to indicate that he might play the main ruck role with Marshall playing forward for the majority of game time and then get some minutes in the ruck when Billy needs a chop out.
Think Gresham, Billings, Newnes, and Ross have all improved out of sight this year, but maybe not tonight.
Tonight was a bad game for most of our team and I think the club just have to learn from it, and get Dermot and Billy to get in their ears at training this week. Do that and we just might give the Giants a real shake next weekend.
Until we can beat the likes of Adelaide, Port Adelaide, Sydney and Geelong we can not, and should not, play finals. And we are a long way off doing that based on what I witnessed tonight. I also think the likes of North Melbourne would still give us a good run for our money based on their big players and midfield.
πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘