Real reason Shiel went to Essendon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Real reason Shiel went to Essendon

Well it has come out,

At trade time the new said Shiel wanted to goto Essendon because it was a great club in finals prediction despite getting paid less money ect ect

Now the truth comes out, there was a side deal all along

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 85e088932e

Star Essendon recruit Dylan Shiel has landed a side job working for a wealthy Bombers powerbroker.

In an arrangement ticked off by the AFL, Shiel has joined property tycoon and former Essendonians coterie club president Mark Casey at his company, Casey Capital.

Sounds legit?

minneapolis
Club Player

Re: Real reason Shiel went to Essendon

We would do it if we could.

(maybe a paper round at the local 7-11? ((Sorry tongue-in-cheek)).

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
SuperDuper
Club Player

salary cap equalisation
oh... hang on

SinCitySainter
Club Player

This happens all the time.
That is why I get annoyed everytime I hear the statement "they took a paycut to keep the team together."
It is complete garbage, Geelong players did not take a paycut they just got funds siphoned from other sources, all rubber stamped by the AFL.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote: Wed 24 Apr 2019 7:25am This happens all the time.
That is why I get annoyed everytime I hear the statement "they took a paycut to keep the team together."
It is complete garbage, Geelong players did not take a paycut they just got funds siphoned from other sources, all rubber stamped by the AFL.
Correct Cameron Ling owns half the Geelong foreshore.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saint64
Club Player

Something felt off about that whole scenario, and for me it still feels off. The end result is the same as if they had given him extra cash. Can someone cut and paste the article?

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Remember when Luke Ball played the third year at Collingwood for nothing!! :evil:
It's just like when we whinge about Selwood and others ducking for frees...
If you can;t beat them, just emulate them.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Every club does it. Even us to some degree.

Back in the whole Shiel process I actually think the discussion turned to this topic.

This was always going to happen. I'm just surprised it made it to the open so quickly.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saint64
Club Player

bigred wrote: Wed 24 Apr 2019 7:33pm Every club does it. Even us to some degree.

Back in the whole Shiel process I actually think the discussion turned to this topic.

This was always going to happen. I'm just surprised it made it to the open so quickly.
Maybe so - but that doesn't make it right. Any financial perks/inducements offered in such circumstances should be made openly and be scrutinised by the AFL at the time. Otherwise the big clubs with more members, bigger financial backers, etc are always going to have the upper-hand over battler clubs like us.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

saint64 wrote: Wed 24 Apr 2019 7:49pm...always going to have the upper-hand over battler clubs like us.
I know, but...this is how it plays out. And has done for years.

Our club needs to get craftier with how it does it.

FWIW, I don't see it as rorting, if there's a justafiable two-way deal (Shiel may actually be in the finance business...hell, I know I'd want to be - it's perfect a post-career move) and it's ratified by the AFL. It's maximising opportunity.

But...

So here's why he's going. He'll get paid $20,000, but he'll be schooled in the dark arts of property development.
Casey, whose company has more than 10,000 lots under its portfolio of projects, has previously mentored Essendon players Andrew Welsh and Dean Solomon in the property development game.

Welsh, 36, was named in last year’s top 25 Young Rich List with an estimated fortune of $121 million.
That's the kicker.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

saint64 wrote: Wed 24 Apr 2019 7:49pm
bigred wrote: Wed 24 Apr 2019 7:33pm Every club does it. Even us to some degree.

Maybe so - but that doesn't make it right. Any financial perks/inducements offered in such circumstances should be made openly and be scrutinised by the AFL at the time. Otherwise the big clubs with more members, bigger financial backers, etc are always going to have the upper-hand over battler clubs like us.
Absolutely it is not right.

Suits the big clubs as usual. AFL should have more teeth about it but they wont.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Wed 24 Apr 2019 7:57pm
So here's why he's going. He'll get paid $20,000, but he'll be schooled in the dark arts of property development.
I'm willing to bet that he makes more than a mil from property while he's "learning" the business. The 20k is just the above table amount.They had to declare something.
Nice work if you can get it, and if you play for the bombres, you can get it.

If you play for the Saints, you can get into Luna Park for free. So it's the lower shelf for us.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
stkfc1
Club Player

I was almost about to start a thread on this but this will do.

We have some serious contract negotiations coming up with Billings, Gresh, Marshall, Carlisle and Savage the main issues. The way Newnes is playing, him too.

What I'd like to see is Roo, Dal and Monty go down have a chat to these boys and say, with hindsight I wish we'd taken $100, 000 less a year, got in some decent 'role player, bottom six' players and we'd all be known as premiership players right now. That alone would be worth an extra $100, 000 a year in sponsorship deals (Billings and Gresh, looking at you)

I believe in hindsight , if you asked our ex players if they were asked to take a $100,000 a year pay cut, if it meant a premiership they'd have done it in a heartbeat. That unfortunately, was a big part of the reality of 09,10. Of course there were other factors but the reality was we had our top 6-8 players taking the lions share of our cap and the rest could please themselves.

If we had taken the Geelong/Hawthorn route, with a more even pay structure , so that we could have attracted a few more decent players, I have no doubt we'd have won at least one. Imagine we'd had manged to pry a Kerr or Didak away in 08, as from memory they were gettable at the time. Massive upgrade on a McQualter or an Eddy. (Yes I know they had their problems at the time and it could have been another Lovett all over again!). Still you know what I mean! Im sure we could have enticed some better players to the club. I think we ended up with Brett Peake that year.
09 Jolly, Burgoyne and Gibson were available. Imagine one of them in our team, at the time.

I know its 'pie in the sky' stuff but if our top 6 to 8 players, all took that $50,000 to $100, 000 year cut and we had an extra $600,000 to $800,000 to play with. Suddenly we have a Burgoyne or Jolly (ironically) in the team and we win the draw of 10.

All that being said, considering half of that 09 Geelong side now own half of Geelong thanks to Cook and Co, this brings it back full circle to this thread.

The ability of some clubs to be offering financial "legups" to FA players in itself an absolute inequity that the AFL must stamp out. Theres a reason why the Bombers, Geelong, Magpies of this world seem to always get the FA. Its not the 'playing in front of 80,000 every week' crap line thats pushed around. The AFL are saying its all above board. BS!!

What its not acknowledging is that now its out there to possible FA, looking around at other clubs, is "Come to the Bombers, Geelong etc and we'll look after your retirement". That stinks to high heaven, as clubs like us, Roos Doggies and Co don't normally have those type of 'White Knights' and cashed up' Fat Cats' sitting in on our presentation nights to be offering such deals. There's a salary cap for a reason. You start putting in incentives outside of that and we'll be having the same look as like the EPL in no time.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

I am so glad none of us smart arses posted that its good for him that he kept his day job.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

What an overpriced dud.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Armo loves fast cars. 2 yrs ago, there was a social media pic of him in a Lamborghini...
He said one of our cashed up sponsors let him have a drive.

We have $$$. Eric Bana, Gudinski, Meldrum, Bassatt (co- founder of Seek.com!), Warnie...and Gerry Ryan of Jayco, Mitchelton Wines, etc etc.
They are big business types, lots of contacts.
Why can't we do the same?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

His kicking is atrocious. He actually would have brought our kicking percentages down.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Shiel is only on an extra 20k with this job. After tax, its not a lot of money given a second job is taxed at 50% and probably more given he is on hundreds of thousands of per year anyway. Apparently he wants to get into property development post AFL so maybe this is why he chose the Bombers.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
ace
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote: Wed 24 Apr 2019 9:10pm
evertonfc wrote: Wed 24 Apr 2019 7:57pm
I'm willing to bet that he makes more than a mil from property while he's "learning" the business. The 20k is just the above table amount.They had to declare something.
Nice work if you can get it, and if you play for the bombres, you can get it.

If you play for the Saints, you can get into Luna Park for free. So it's the lower shelf for us.
Anyone can get into Luna Park for free.
Even paedophiles and drug takers from Essendon.
You only have to pay for the rides.

Let me look out my window to see if it is open.
Half past midnight.
No it is closed with the lights out.
But the front of the Palais Theatre is lit up, multi coloured sign at the top, yellow vertical lights down the windows at the front.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Fri 26 Apr 2019 12:50am Shiel is only on an extra 20k with this job. After tax, its not a lot of money given a second job is taxed at 50% and probably more given he is on hundreds of thousands of per year anyway. Apparently he wants to get into property development post AFL so maybe this is why he chose the Bombers.
No it is only taxed at 47% but Bill Shorten will make that 49% (providing he remembers that he promised to do that).

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I really don’t think we’re in a position to whinge others have unfair financial advantages while we’re currently paying DH $4M :roll:

If we fail to recruit a gun or lose one of our current guns due to $$$ in the next few years we have no one to blame but ourselves.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Fri 26 Apr 2019 12:50am Shiel is only on an extra 20k with this job. After tax, its not a lot of money given a second job is taxed at 50% and probably more given he is on hundreds of thousands of per year anyway. Apparently he wants to get into property development post AFL so maybe this is why he chose the Bombers.
It's not the 20k that's the issue it's the sweet deals that will come of it, such as buying a plot of land for 100k that's worth 2 mil ect, it's a way around the salary cap, with deals like this https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/af ... 9de056c2be that the afl wilfully turns a blind eye to it constantly

HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote: Wed 24 Apr 2019 12:32am
in an arrangement ticked off by the AFL

Shiel has joined property tycoon and former Essendonians coterie club president Mark Casey at his company, Casey Capital.
love that bit most

HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Thu 25 Apr 2019 9:58pm Armo loves fast cars. 2 yrs ago, there was a social media pic of him in a Lamborghini...
He said one of our cashed up sponsors let him have a drive.
yeah, but someone's gotta eventually give him a car

a property portfolio is worth a whole lot more than a photo op

ace
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 26 Apr 2019 2:00am I really don’t think we’re in a position to whinge others have unfair financial advantages while we’re currently paying DH $4M :roll:

If we fail to recruit a gun or lose one of our current guns due to $$$ in the next few years we have no one to blame but ourselves.
Our guns only fire corks with a string attached.
In my day they were called pop-guns.
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GI ... 36&bih=846