McCartin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Re: McCartin

Linton Lodger wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 11:54am

So every club that's taken a No.1 pick should admit their mistake, that'd be most of them. We're one of the few Clubs that's taken a No.1 that's turned out to be a gun, Riewoldt & Goddard. Then there were Hodge (Hawthorn's recruiter was sacked for taking him ahead of Judd) & Cooney. Whitfield probably will be a gun and every other Club to an extent stuffed up their No.1.
I've actually gone over the #1 draft picks for the last 25 years - and no club has come close to stuffing it up like the Saints have. We may well have got the best #1 draft pick ever in Roo, but not since the mid to late 80's of the draft has a club ballsed it up like the Saints have with Paddy. Using the disclaimer of 'if not for his health' doesn't wash either in my eyes. His health was very much common knowledge before we drafted him. Not like after we drafted him he mentioned casually, 'BTW I have type 1 diabetes.'

The closest I can see for it being a bust like Paddy is Tom Boyd - the guy that should have won the Norm Smith in 2016 in a premiership winning team but has since done stuff all. The irony of that comparison is that it was the Tom Boyd draft that spooked us into selecting Paddy instead of Petracca......

Legendary
Club Player

Petracca is pretty ordinary. He's certainly not worthy of pick 1 based on his career to date, but every recruiter seemed to have it as a choice between Petracca or Paddy as pick #1 that year.

We may have stuffed it up but I'm not sure we'd exactly be rapt with the alternative either. The Tom Boyd thing threw everyone out - people got spooked that there were no decent key forwards left in the game and panicked.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 12:40pm Petracca is pretty ordinary. He's certainly not worthy of pick 1 based on his career to date, but every recruiter seemed to have it as a choice between Petracca or Paddy as pick #1 that year.

We may have stuffed it up but I'm not sure we'd exactly be rapt with the alternative either. The Tom Boyd thing threw everyone out - people got spooked that there were no decent key forwards left in the game and panicked.
I agree Legendary. Very few #1 picks become the best player from their draft. That’s okay. You generally expect 150 solid games from them though. Very few don’t reach that mark.....

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Moods wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 12:36pm

So every club that's taken a No.1 pick should admit their mistake, that'd be most of them. We're one of the few Clubs that's taken a No.1 that's turned out to be a gun, Riewoldt & Goddard. Then there were Hodge (Hawthorn's recruiter was sacked for taking him ahead of Judd) & Cooney. Whitfield probably will be a gun and every other Club to an extent stuffed up their No.1.
I've actually gone over the #1 draft picks for the last 25 years - and no club has come close to stuffing it up like the Saints have. We may well have got the best #1 draft pick ever in Roo, but not since the mid to late 80's of the draft has a club ballsed it up like the Saints have with Paddy. Using the disclaimer of 'if not for his health' doesn't wash either in my eyes. His health was very much common knowledge before we drafted him. Not like after we drafted him he mentioned casually, 'BTW I have type 1 diabetes.'

The closest I can see for it being a bust like Paddy is Tom Boyd - the guy that should have won the Norm Smith in 2016 in a premiership winning team but has since done stuff all. The irony of that comparison is that it was the Tom Boyd draft that spooked us into selecting Paddy instead of Petracca......
Not saying they were all disasters, but none of them turned out to be guns. I probably overlooked Scully, but he's doing it at other Clubs. Taking Petracca wouldn't have been much better. A mid sized forward who may occasionally go through the midfield and will always have weight issues. No.1 pick doesn't guarantee you get the best player in the draft, it just means you get the player you want providing they're not a father/son or from an Academy.

Crossy66
Club Player

I am still sticking with the Tiges and Richard Lounder :D

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 1:25pm

Haha. Which is why I restricted my research to the last 25 years Crossy. There were some absolute disasters in the mid to late 80's/early 90's when drafting was nothing like what it is today in terms of science, testing and research into players.

Crossy66
Club Player

Moods wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 2:05pm

Haha. Which is why I restricted my research to the last 25 years Crossy. There were some absolute disasters in the mid to late 80's/early 90's when drafting was nothing like what it is today in terms of science, testing and research into players.
Well played!

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I believe if we had taken Petracca, in our side he would have been playing midfield and his output would be much higher than what he has produced at Melbourne. For one he would have been forced to get his fitness much better.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Jack Watts

Crossy66
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 7:07pm I believe if we had taken Petracca, in our side he would have been playing midfield and his output would be much higher than what he has produced at Melbourne. For one he would have been forced to get his fitness much better.
I reckon he would have been booed by his own supporters. On exposed form, he has no tank, fumbles and is pedestrian paced.
Pus told us he would be off to collingwood after 2 years. Have a wander over to bigfooty melb thread after sundays game.
They have the pitch forks out!

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 7:18pm

Jack Watts

Yep. Not #1 standard, and yet has still played many very good games and I expect will play 150 games. He is exactly who I was referring to when I said you'd expect 150 games as a minimum from a #1 draft pick. His output is miles in front of Paddy's and even if he quit tomorrow will always be.

To the top
SS Life Member

Hopefully McCartin’s AFL future remains ahead of him

No doubt we are missing his presence currently - hence the references to Marshall as a ruck/forward

To have the 3rd “tall” defender go to Membrey would be a bonus

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 8:13pm

Jack Watts

Yep. Not #1 standard, and yet has still played many very good games and I expect will play 150 games. He is exactly who I was referring to when I said you'd expect 150 games as a minimum from a #1 draft pick. His output is miles in front of Paddy's and even if he quit tomorrow will always be.
How many are you expecting Paddy to play?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 8:38pm

Jack Watts

I expect him to either retire or be delisted by the club at the end of the year. Completely irresponsible of the club to play a young bloke who has had 8 concussions in 5 years and is still recovering from his latest knock 5 weeks later from what appeared to be nothing more than an innocuous knock. Incredible that the club are even considering it

If he does play again I wouldn't expect him to last half a season maximum before getting himself concussed. Surely no-one else on here expects anything different do they? Where is the evidence that he can absorb the knocks at this level??

In a world where Paddy never gets concussed (parallel universe) I would expect that he would play another 2-3 seasons before being delisted on exposed form. That is only because he is a former #1 draft pick and everyone would give him the maximum amount of opportunities. As I said before, any other player would probably have been delisted by now.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

IMHO Bryce Squibbs has played 250 ummemorable games. Not once has he made a game his own. His highlight reel would be about a minute long Maybe shorter

farquhar
Club Player

It is a tough situation for McCartin and he may want to continue, however, someone may need to make the hard call for him.

Time for goal-kicking practice
silverhalo
Club Player

I'd be really surprised if Paddy played another game......he needs to retire immediately, cannot risk yet another concussion, just not worth it.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

silverhalo wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 10:12pm I'd be really surprised if Paddy played another game......he needs to retire immediately, cannot risk yet another concussion, just not worth it.
Richo and the club think otherwise. For the moment anyway.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

play him

CarlTaughtMeEnglish
Club Player

At the kids day last week my daughter was tossing up whether to get 32 on her jumper so we asked one of the players (who was having to get parents to lift their kids up because he couldn’t bend down to sign his name) how Paddy was and if he would be out to sign autographs. His reply was that he is still having symptoms and only comes in to see the physio.

After that conversation my daughter got 11 on her jumper. Sadly he’s now running around in the twos.

He is probably going to be the last one to accept it but sadly I can’t see anyone letting Paddy play another game.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 8:48pm I expect him to either retire or be delisted by the club at the end of the year. Completely irresponsible of the club to play a young bloke who has had 8 concussions in 5 years and is still recovering from his latest knock 5 weeks later from what appeared to be nothing more than an innocuous knock. Incredible that the club are even considering it
Agree. In boxing they call it a glass jaw and the only known cure is not to get hit. That’s not going to happen.

minneapolis
Club Player

saynta wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 10:49pm
silverhalo wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 10:12pm I'd be really surprised if Paddy played another game......he needs to retire immediately, cannot risk yet another concussion, just not worth it.
Not having a go at you Saynta but how do you know this? I bet you don't.

There has not been one unequivocal comment about that from the Club, the Coach, the player, his family, the doctors, his team mates, the press or my neighbor.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

minneapolis wrote: Tue 23 Apr 2019 4:39am
saynta wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 10:49pm
Not having a go at you Saynta but how do you know this? I bet you don't.

There has not been one unequivocal comment about that from the Club, the Coach, the player, his family, the doctors, his team mates, the press or my neighbor.
Prob making shyte up.

If Paddy still has symptoms he’s cooked.

Club is probably staying quiet as we are going so well there is no value in negative PR.

Mind you I’d call it positive just to make an announcement and move on.

Freezer is gone, we can’t keep having “gunners” in the team.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

We aren’t missing his presence at all because he has never had any. We are missing what we hoped he’d bring. Hopefully King will give us that.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 8:48pm
Cairnsman wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 8:38pm

Jack Watts

I expect him to either retire or be delisted by the club at the end of the year. Completely irresponsible of the club to play a young bloke who has had 8 concussions in 5 years and is still recovering from his latest knock 5 weeks later from what appeared to be nothing more than an innocuous knock. Incredible that the club are even considering it

If he does play again I wouldn't expect him to last half a season maximum before getting himself concussed. Surely no-one else on here expects anything different do they? Where is the evidence that he can absorb the knocks at this level??

In a world where Paddy never gets concussed (parallel universe) I would expect that he would play another 2-3 seasons before being delisted on exposed form. That is only because he is a former #1 draft pick and everyone would give him the maximum amount of opportunities. As I said before, any other player would probably have been delisted by now.
Too much contradiction and random logic about that to know what it means or how it relates to the facts of what's happening between Paddy and the club.