Cooper - Bruce?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintkev
Club Player

Cooper - Bruce?

Josh Bruce's hanger had shades of Ian Cooper plastered all over it!!! I wish I had a copy of it to compare!

leighsaintsince66
Club Player

Re: Cooper - Bruce?

I saw Ian Cooper take a hanger at Moorabbin in early 1969. The "beanpole" was surely one of the best aerialists ever seen in Saints colours.

The speccie that Josh Bruce took on Saturday reminded me more of Trevor Barker's marks however. He jumped a mile in the air and propelled himself again in mid flight...akin to the style of Trevor Barker.

Regardless, isn't the big grab just about the best feature of our great game?
Expecially when the player is wearing red, white and black!

By the way, which mark was better? The hanger taken by Josh Bruce against Essendon, or the ripper taken by Matthew Parker against the Western Bulldogs three weeks earlier?

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Coop's absolute screamer at the MCG against Melbourne (Queen's Birthday Monday, 1965) draws comparison. Unfortunately, I've never been able to find any footage of it.

As a rule, Barks took similar screamers every few games.

Saint supporter since '62
CarlD
Club Player

Fox showed the twisting Trevor Barker mark alongside Josh Bruce's - eerily similar.

robbie muir
Club Player

Best mark ever by a St.Kilda player would have to be Trevor Barker V Essendon Windy Hill Round 2 1979.

Trevor's knees were sitting on Denis Scanlon's shoulders. Worth the entrance fee that day alone ( We lost).

suss
Club Player

robbie muir wrote: Tue 02 Apr 2019 11:28am Best mark ever by a St.Kilda player would have to be Trevor Barker V Essendon Windy Hill Round 2 1979.

Trevor's knees were sitting on Denis Scanlon's shoulders. Worth the entrance fee that day alone ( We lost).
Riewoldt SCG? :shock:

Winmar took a massive hanger which was either at Linton Street or Windy Hill - I can't remember which but it was epic. Riewoldt's was still be best mark I've seen though.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

robbie muir wrote:Best mark ever by a St.Kilda player would have to be Trevor Barker V Essendon Windy Hill Round 2 1979.

This photo was taken by a huge Saints fan who was off duty but just happened to bring his camera to Windy Hill.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Trouble is most of Barker's marks went unrecorded as most of the Saints matches were not televised in that era.

But he was clearly the best consistently high marker the game has seen.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote: Tue 02 Apr 2019 11:34am
robbie muir wrote: Tue 02 Apr 2019 11:28am Best mark ever by a St.Kilda player would have to be Trevor Barker V Essendon Windy Hill Round 2 1979.

Winmar took a massive hanger which was either at Linton Street or Windy Hill - I can't remember which but it was epic. Riewoldt's was still be best mark I've seen though.
That Winmar mark was one of those ones when he got the sit and then lept even higher off the pack. If its the same one I’m thinking of it was at Moorabbin in the late 80s. On the members wing. I was right underneath it.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Tue 02 Apr 2019 6:46pm

That Winmar mark was one of those ones when he got the sit and then lept even higher off the pack. If its the same one I’m thinking of it was at Moorabbin in the late 80s. On the members wing. I was right underneath it.
Yep, if my memory serves me correctly it was on the shoulders of Michael Roach and I think the iconic b&w photo of the mark won the HS photographer sports picture of the year.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

silverhalo
Club Player

Here's a selection of the little champ's greatest marks - Trevor Barker's mark over Scanlon of Essendon is at 0.52. This just reminds me that he didn't just take freakish speccies but there are a lot of really gutsy marks in there where he had little regard for personal well being, bit like Maxy Hudghton

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Tue 02 Apr 2019 7:19pm

Yep, if my memory serves me correctly it was on the shoulders of Michael Roach and I think the iconic b&w photo of the mark won the HS photographer sports picture of the year.
No, the huge Nicky one was over Simon Madden at Moorabbin 1987. The one you are referring too CM is against the Tigers and is in The Point Of It All book - it’s at Moorabbin and the tiger stepladder is number 6 not sure on the year. Bark’s mark on Scanlon was front page of the HS the next day( the game was played on Easter Monday as I was listening to it up the Murray) when u watch it again the camera level is sort looking up from the ground so you don’t get a real grasp of how high he was. He drops it too but the ump pays it.

His best mark for me is the one v Carlscum in 1982 where he outjumps three defenders

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Had a tear in my eye silver watching that vid. 23 years later this month since he left us. The epitomy of our club motto

He was a very good tackler as well and his kicking for goal was great when he was in range.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Whilst Ian Cooper's mark at the MCG was "legit" in those days, it wouldn't be paid today as it spilled from his hands as he came down. There were times back then - and all the way to about 25 years ago - when it seemed that the length of time that the player had to hold the ball was inversely proportional to the level of his "spectacularity". With the hands in the back rule, the spekky was virtually eliminated. Fortunately, they have now walked back a bit from that. The problem is, if you try to homogenise the interpretation, you tend to homogenise the game.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote: Wed 03 Apr 2019 10:49am
Cairnsman wrote: Tue 02 Apr 2019 7:19pm

No, the huge Nicky one was over Simon Madden at Moorabbin 1987. The one you are referring too CM is against the Tigers and is in The Point Of It All book - it’s at Moorabbin and the tiger stepladder is number 6 not sure on the year. Bark’s mark on Scanlon was front page of the HS the next day( the game was played on Easter Monday as I was listening to it up the Murray) when u watch it again the camera level is sort looking up from the ground so you don’t get a real grasp of how high he was. He drops it too but the ump pays it.

His best mark for me is the one v Carlscum in 1982 where he outjumps three defenders
nice memory, hey was there one NW took on the members wing in a rare victory against the Hawks, think it might have even been Tuck even, just remember getting home from the social club, a little, a fair amount drunk and watching the replay, over, and over, and over again.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

CM I know Nicky took a ripper v the Hawks at Waverley one season not sure exactly what year

No it was Moorabbin! Just checked on the YT Nicky special vid