Parker and Wilkie

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stkfc1
Club Player

Parker and Wilkie

Kudos to the recruitment staff. We've dug a little and found some gold.

Parker will tear a game apart. Sooner rather than later.
Needs to work in consistantcy but we're only 2 games into his career. Ferocious at the ball and has sublime skills and pace. That hit on McGrath was huge.

Wilkie is a very smart footballer (must be those accounting skills) as he always seems to pick the right option. I watched him a bit from behind the goals tonight and he's very good at organising the troops. He was very extrovert and loud with getting guys to man up, get into spots etc. Kudos as players listened to the 2nd gamer and we were very good in defence. Its a big reason why we won.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Parker and Wilkie

Good post, I think recruiting a few 20-23 year olds will become standard in the AFL from now on.

Certainly these two guys are above recent recruits from other clubs.

I think we will see a decline in rookie listing delisted players in favour of late bloomers through the VFL/WAFL/SANFL comps.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I think that recruiting the older player 20-22 odd year old will most definitely become more common. I dont think you will see many using a first or even second round pick on such things, but when you are looking at taking a punt on a mid 50's or later pick, then really this is a no brainer.

A lot of the bulltish development has already been done with them. Probably more importantly they have had a dose of real world which can be the ultimate motivator. I mean Wilkie captained North Adelaide and won their Best and fairest.

Imagine how much Matt Parkers world has been changed in the past six months! The thing is he looks grounded as all hell. The first thing he went for tonight as he got back into the rooms was his kid.

Good luck to them.

Need to get some exposure away from the wanker "inside experts" that just spruik up the same horse s*** every year at trade time. This is where a proper recruiting "department" comes into it.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

👍

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

It is great having some genuine pace and hardbess up in the forwrd line to terrify the opposition defenders.

Wilkie looks like a Roberton clone. Cool and calculating.
Even a touch of Sam Fisher in the way he reads the play.

Good start.

Nee!
saintbob
SS Life Member

Parker is very exciting and Wilkie looks very comfortable at this level.

Vazelos
Club Player

All excellent posts and I write a post about our success influencing the trend to mature aged recruits from the State leagues.

Parker would be a lot cheaper than a Devon Smith. He could be anything that player and he is genuinely hard and tough as well as talented.

Wilkie is a Roberton type no doubt his misfortune has given him a platform to establish his career and he has taken it with both hands.

I expect Nick Hind to play some games and I was disappointed in McKenzie yesterday so he will he breathing down his neck.

Robbie Young is doing the same to Lonie he has scored 6 goals in 2 games at the Zebras.
All 4 could be players and that would be an extraordinary result.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Really like Wilkie...
Really glad he’s gotten an opportunity to prove himself and has run with it.

Good to mix things up a bit even if it fails more often than not.
The odd occasion were u find a guy like Wilkie who pbly wouldn’t have played at all without injuries regardless of how we were doing makes it completely worth it

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote: Sun 31 Mar 2019 2:54am All excellent posts and I write a post about our success influencing the trend to mature aged recruits from the State leagues.

Parker would be a lot cheaper than a Devon Smith. He could be anything that player and he is genuinely hard and tough as well as talented.

Wilkie is a Roberton type no doubt his misfortune has given him a platform to establish his career and he has taken it with both hands.

I expect Nick Hind to play some games and I was disappointed in McKenzie yesterday so he will he breathing down his neck.

Robbie Young is doing the same to Lonie he has scored 6 goals in 2 games at the Zebras.
All 4 could be players and that would be an extraordinary result.
Parker is tall, wiry, quick and very tough. He is going to be very hard to play on.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I'm very big on using late and rookie picks on recycled/late blooming talent for the reasons espoused above.

I also wouldn't underestimate how much hungrier you are to make it when you've been overlooked.

You know that regular life isn't nearly as rewarding as being an AFL player - and you'll do anything for a chance.

A lot of guys who get drafted get used to it, get comfortable and then quietly slip out of the system, only realising at 26-27 that they should have gone much harder.

I think the majority of guns do reside in the first two rounds of the draft, but after that, it will be your hunger and dedication to improving that determines whether you'll make it.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Its VERY early days to be getting too carried away with individual performances........ BUT I'm LOVING the way that "Nosey" Parker goes about his footy, given the fact of where he's come from. Same story with Wilkie, could be a gold nugget! Time will tell of course. I am fairly optimistic about this side, particularly with Ratten being involved.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
damienc
Club Player

Good post.

I would add Kent to the mix.

The addition of Parker and Kent has added some bite to the forward line.

More importantly its given Billings and Gresham the freedom to play in the midfield which is where their true value lies.

Gresh is fast becoming the missing piece in the midfield jigsaw. The A grader we thought we might need to buy in from elsewhere but it could just be we had him all along and didn't know it.

He needs to build his tank but if yesterday was anything to go by Gresh is AA in the making. That is for sure.

Great to see Acres back in the side. Really rate him.
Last edited by damienc on Sun 31 Mar 2019 1:22pm, edited 1 time in total.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Sun 31 Mar 2019 11:36am I'm very big on using late and rookie picks on recycled/late blooming talent for the reasons espoused above.

I also wouldn't underestimate how much hungrier you are to make it when you've been overlooked.

You know that regular life isn't nearly as rewarding as being an AFL player - and you'll do anything for a chance.

A lot of guys who get drafted get used to it, get comfortable and then quietly slip out of the system, only realising at 26-27 that they should have gone much harder.

I think the majority of guns do reside in the first two rounds of the draft, but after that, it will be your hunger and dedication to improving that determines whether you'll make it.
Spot on. Mature age get a taste of the real world. They know how hard it is to make a $, the weekly grind of going to work . They're going to bust there arses to make it happen. Look at Parker, he cares, he wants it

Bring back the Lockett era
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Sun 31 Mar 2019 1:21pm Good post.

I would add Kent to the mix.

The addition of Parker and Kent has added some bite to the forward line.

More importantly its given Billings and Gresham the freedom to play in the midfield which is where their true value lies.

Gresh is fast becoming the missing piece in the midfield jigsaw. The A grader we thought we might need to buy in from elsewhere but it could just be we had him all along and didn't know it.

He needs to build his tank but if yesterday was anything to go by Gresh is AA in the making. That is for sure.

Great to see Acres back in the side. Really rate him.
Yes Colleague, Dean Kent is also a welcome addition to the side. I'm loving Nosey Parker's attitude and feel that if he continues to develop this well, we could have a very very exciting for'ard line this year.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

Been impressive so far. Looks like we may have picked 2 good ones.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
Spud
Club Player
Location: Near the You Yangs, or as my wife used to call it, the Dugongs.

thejiggingsaint wrote: Sun 31 Mar 2019 1:13pm Its VERY early days to be getting too carried away with individual performances........ BUT I'm LOVING the way that "Nosey" Parker goes about his footy, given the fact of where he's come from. Same story with Wilkie, could be a gold nugget! Time will tell of course. I am fairly optimistic about this side, particularly with Ratten being involved.
Loving the enthusiasm, energy and speed from this guy hope it continues, and Ratten has brought some real structure to the team. Our defensive zone was set up well and curtailed the drive from Essendon when they came at us.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Spud wrote: Sun 31 Mar 2019 1:59pm
thejiggingsaint wrote: Sun 31 Mar 2019 1:13pm Its VERY early days to be getting too carried away with individual performances........ BUT I'm LOVING the way that "Nosey" Parker goes about his footy, given the fact of where he's come from. Same story with Wilkie, could be a gold nugget! Time will tell of course. I am fairly optimistic about this side, particularly with Ratten being involved.
Loving the enthusiasm, energy and speed from this guy hope it continues, and Ratten has brought some real structure to the team. Our defensive zone was set up well and curtailed the drive from Essendon when they came at us.
Ratten and Lade have come from strong environments and brought with them, another level of knowledge, work ethic, etc, is my belief.
The outgoing assistants needed to go. Hadn't done much good for us.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Spud
Club Player
Location: Near the You Yangs, or as my wife used to call it, the Dugongs.

Yes, it appears as though the clean out has worked and a good thing for the club and Ritcho too. Sports journos have made mention of the new system and how we are benefiting from it.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Sat 30 Mar 2019 10:38pm Good post, I think recruiting a few 20-23 year olds will become standard in the AFL from now on.

Certainly these two guys are above recent recruits from other clubs.

I think we will see a decline in rookie listing delisted players in favour of late bloomers through the VFL/WAFL/SANFL comps.
Just watching 205cm Oscar McInerny carving up Nth Melbourne taking 3 contested marks in as many minutes for 2 goals and a poster.

Drafted from Casey Scorps aged 22 in 2018.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
damienc
Club Player

Really great to see Nicky and Parker embracing after the game.

I hope N. Winmar becomes a permanent fixture around the club.

If the players ever wanted inspiration they could do worse than look at the old tapes from Nicky's playing days.

He was bloody brilliant.

GilsAuPair
Club Player

Very impressive.
And Hind and Kent as well.
Weve done ok with younger mature recruits.
More than ok when you throw in Membrey and Steele.

kalsaint
Club Player

stkfc1 wrote: Sat 30 Mar 2019 10:17pm Kudos to the recruitment staff. We've dug a little and found some gold.

Parker will tear a game apart. Sooner rather than later.
Needs to work in consistantcy but we're only 2 games into his career. Ferocious at the ball and has sublime skills and pace. That hit on McGrath was huge.

Wilkie is a very smart footballer (must be those accounting skills) as he always seems to pick the right option. I watched him a bit from behind the goals tonight and he's very good at organising the troops. He was very extrovert and loud with getting guys to man up, get into spots etc. Kudos as players listened to the 2nd gamer and we were very good in defence. Its a big reason why we won.
I thought he was good but I wasn't aware of the talk he brings to the teams defensive set up. Thanks for that feedback.

I love the urgency Parker brings to the team. He sometimes needs to find another player in a better position for goal opportunities. I presume this occurs because of his focus and determination at the moment.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Matt had a bit to prove on Saturday. Essendon were interested in him and actually flew him across last year before not following up on him. Our gain.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

That's similar to what happened with Nicky Winmar. Bombers were interested. Sheedy said he'd give him a call. It never happened and we swooped

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I think Winmar was 21 years old at the time