GT Fears for Saints' Future

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Re: GT Fears for Saints' Future

barneyboyz wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 12:39pm
Linton Lodger wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 12:26pm If any Club ends up in Tasmania, then North and Gold Coast would be well out in front of any other contender.

St Kilda's home streches from Fitroy Street along the Coast to Frankston. Bugger moving anywhere else, thank god we walked from Tasmania and hopefully the NZ nonsense is done & dusted.
And you think most of the Saints fans still live along this fringe? Why did we go back to Moorabbin? should have stayed in Seaford. That worked a treat

Through the period when Roo was captain, a link to Tassie would have been most beneficial and probably would have removed any need to be talking of relocation i.e. this club would have had two states supporting them

FWIW, I don't think we should relocate...but if the AFL like it...
North Melbourne are already half way to Tassie and Gold Coast have no supporters, no interest whatsoever.

barneyboyz
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 12:43pm
ss1986 wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 6:11pm
ListManager wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 5:58pm
MC Gusto wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 5:49pm Come out and beat Essendon and this talk disappears

Have hanners come on and uplift the team from round 5 and this talk disappears

Have King come in and show the potential of a future gun and this talk disappears

Footy is fundamentally a week by week proposition - you live and die by your performance
Cods wallop. A couple of wins will not make our $12 Mill debt disappear. What will it take some of our supporters to wake up?
If Saintsational is representative of the entire fan base, its already terminal.

So many people either have no business/financial acumen, or live in la la land.

In the meantime, the club plants PR spinners on here to sell deception and flat out lies.
Sainsational is not representative of the entire fan base. Bigfooty, given its far greater traffic would be more representative. Also, you don't get many women posting here or at Big Footy and many women are supporters. Therefore, you are getting small and skewed samples.

Your assertion about business acumen is based on what? Wouldn't be saying that unless you demonstrated that you have.

You think the Club actually plants PR spinners here? That's a conspiracy theory.
And when you look at FB, there's much more positivity out there. Having said that, there's plenty of folks that sound a lot like they read SS :)

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

GT should get his head out of his arse. Its not about him anymore

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 10:33am
What about the compensation requirements of North & Hawthorn as both have deals with Tassie state government.

We really stuffed up getting out of the Tassie deal.
Said it at the time and now. Our support in Tassie was strong and I believe we traded off the Tassie link with so many of our greats originating from the Apple isle.

My understanding is we were so dominant at the dome at that point in time we didn’t want to risk losing games for the cash incentive. Driven by GT and players.
Hopefully the club has learnt its lesson and doesn't allow a coach like GT to make decisions that are only about the short term ever again. We made the same mistakes with Ross the boss

Same with any high profile player or stars we have in the future. Don't let the tail wag the dog

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Grant Thomas has a right to his opinion regarding the St Kilda Footy Club. Just as those of us who post on SS have a right to express an opinion regarding the St Kilda Footy Club. I would accept that GT has probably more insight into the workings of an AFL Club than I However, I think his "fears for our future" are a WEE bit over the top. With Graeme "Gubby" Allen, Matt Finnis, Simon Lethlean, and our new Prez at the helm, I feel confident that the clubs fortunes can be turned around. Just MY (humble) opinion.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Kinda agree with you jigster.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 8:37pm
MC Gusto wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 5:49pm Come out and beat Essendon and this talk disappears

Have King come in and show the potential of a future gun and this talk disappears

Footy is fundamentally a week by week proposition - you live and die by your performance
Cods wallop. A couple of wins will not make our $12 Mill debt disappear. What will it take some of our supporters to wake up?
No, what will make our debt disappear is if our supporters grew a spine and started buying memberships, and turning up to our games. Even in Richmond and Carltons darkest days they still drew huge crowds and membership numbers. Even in 2009 and 10 we never got over 40K members yet we have a huge number of non member supporters
Can't disagree with this point of view. I can still remember standing at the Lockett End for the final match of 2000, and saying to my daughter "We need to put our money where our mouths are from now on, and become MEMBERS!" Up until then I'd just been a casual "supporter" ........ There have been times in the past nineteen years that my heart has been broken... but not once have I ever regretted becoming PAID UP!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Sanctorum
Club Player

Grant Thomas might well be entitled to his opinion but what is he trying to achieve?

Pouring scorn in mainstream media on the club that he supposedly loves is an act of treachery and to then go on and suggest that he could become the club's "Mr Fixit" is a pathetic joke. How can anyone take him seriously and SEN should realise that GT is a nobody who never was...to me he will always be remembered for his treachery in the knifing of Malcolm Blight to have himself elevated to senior coach.

What's with all the Doom and Gloom on this forum??? St Kilda has for as long as I have been a supporter and member been on a roller coaster ride, sometimes up, more often down, and that's the way it is and will more than likely continue to be in the future. It takes courage, strength and loyalty to be a Saints supporter, and if anyone is truly convinced that the team in 2019 is going to continue to fail, then save yourself the anger and agony and go and support another team...

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Sanctorum wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 6:07pm Grant Thomas might well be entitled to his opinion but what is he trying to achieve?

Pouring scorn in mainstream media on the club that he supposedly loves is an act of treachery and to then go on and suggest that he could become the club's "Mr Fixit" is a pathetic joke. How can anyone take him seriously and SEN should realise that GT is a nobody who never was...to me he will always be remembered for his treachery in the knifing of Malcolm Blight to have himself elevated to senior coach.

What's with all the Doom and Gloom on this forum??? St Kilda has for as long as I have been a supporter and member been on a roller coaster ride, sometimes up, more often down, and that's the way it is and will more than likely continue to be in the future. It takes courage, strength and loyalty to be a Saints supporter, and if anyone is truly convinced that the team in 2019 is going to continue to fail, then save yourself the anger and agony and go and support another team...
Great post. Totally agree. s*** times go with good times and since the inception of the AFL we have basically been better than Richmond and Carlton (2 big sides of the AFL).

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 6:36am
SAINT-LEE wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 12:08am
rodgerfox wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 10:23pm
BringBackMadDog wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 8:37pm

No, what will make our debt disappear is if our supporters grew a spine and started buying memberships, and turning up to our games. Even in Richmond and Carltons darkest days they still drew huge crowds and membership numbers. Even in 2009 and 10 we never got over 40K members yet we have a huge number of non member supporters
That is precisely, and simply what it comes down to.

We have a small supporter base, that historically just isn't that into the footy (i.e. they have lives).

I'm a case in point. I f****** hate going to the footy, and haven't bought a membership for about 15 years.

Even at our peak recently, we just don't pull crowds. We just don't get supporters giving enough of a s*** to buy a membership.

Both of those have to change in order for the Saints to EVER become a 'big club'.

And that will never, ever happen.

You don't do the minimum and buy a lousy membership? It's .60 cents a day. You won't give the club 60 cents a day?
Man...If a person won't support the club they don't belong to the club. Your opinion has zero value FOREVER.
I don't belong to the club.
Oh, sorry. In that case carry on.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Non- members shouldn't even be allowed on this forum, IMHFO. Sorry foxy rodger, but That's how I feel. Extremely surprised to hear you hate going to the footy too.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

It’s a fan forum... not a members forum.

Everyone is and should be entitled to post here including opposition fans if they follow the rules.

This forum is not an extension of the football club and posts suggesting not everyone should be allowed to post reek of trying to curtail input from ppl they have issues with.

I would also suggest that with all the ITK worship and carry on that goes around here that GT would know more about the Saints then just about everyone else here combined... and has done more for the club too
Last edited by skeptic on Thu 28 Mar 2019 7:39pm, edited 1 time in total.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 6:14pm
Sanctorum wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 6:07pm Grant Thomas might well be entitled to his opinion but what is he trying to achieve?

Great post. Totally agree. s*** times go with good times and since the inception of the AFL we have basically been better than Richmond and Carlton (2 big sides of the AFL).
Do you think those clubs envy us?

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

I don't care if they envy us or don't nor do I envy any other club. Who gives a s*** about the ego. I follow the Saints.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 6:40pm

?

What on earth does that mean?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 7:42pm I don't care if they envy us or don't nor do I envy any other club. Who gives a s*** about the ego. I follow the Saints.
One gets a sense of the reality of the ego when you make claims like we’re more successful than Richmond since the inception of the AFL.

In one measure, average finishes that may be true, in most measures when collectively weighed up and considered objectively, the view is not based in reality and is all about ego.

The recurring theme here perception of reality vs reality... saying something is good ala Hannebery stepping down from the leadership group or McCartin’s concussion being a storm in a tea cup does not make it so

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

What are you on about?

Total = 1.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 8:40pm What are you on about?
Read it closer

guitars4
Club Player

saynta wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 7:05pm Non- members shouldn't even be allowed on this forum, IMHFO. Sorry foxy rodger, but That's how I feel. Extremely surprised to hear you hate going to the footy too.
Probably talking out of school here but I think Roger is in WA like me & as much as I'm a member & have been for over 30 years I don't go to footy over here anymore as the WA supporters are something else , not just at the game but on the train, the week after just a very uncomfortable experience really. I haven't been to a game for over 10 years & have no plans to go any time soon but that's my option I 'm sure there are plenty of Saint's fans that attend & like it I just choose not to.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

I did.

Total = 1.
takeaway
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 8:47pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 8:40pm What are you on about?
Read it closer
I read it closer and cannot see your point. You also used the word "successful" and the statement said "better". There is a valid argument that Saints have been a better side than Richmond or Carlton over the years since the AFL name came in, whereas obviously "success" is winning the flag - hence Tigers. So you misquoted the statement. Your reasons for linking in ego is beyond me.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 8:27pm
One gets a sense of the reality of the ego when you make claims like we’re more successful than Richmond since the inception of the AFL.

I think all that does is put some context around how ridiculous the whole 'my club is powerful' thing is.

Clubs are not powerful.

Winning does not make you powerful.

What makes you powerful, is the AFL putting you in the primetime slots.

And THE only way you EVER get in the primetime slots is by pulling huge crowds every single week.

We have NEVER, EVER done that. And we NEVER, EVER will.

We have outperformed Richmond, Carlton and are on very close par with Collingwood and Essendon for the past 20 years - yet we have NEVER, EVER pulled even close to the same crowds as they do.

So guess what?

They get ANZAC Day, ANZAC Day Eve, Queens Birthday, Dreamtime at the G, Season Opener, Good Friday, Easter Monday, etc. etc.

We get squat.

That will never, EVER change.

AND WHO CARES??

I don't know why half of you want it to, or even give a stuff. I don't know why you put your own sense of worth into how many members a sporting club you follow has, it's utterly moronic.

But either way, good luck to you.

Fact is though - IT WILL NEVRR, EVER CHANGE.

This whole absolute guff about 'oh boo hoo, our admin are so bad cause my friends win flags and I don't, oh boo hoo, they're the reason my club sucks and I'm gonna go on the internet and flame them for it until everyone agrees with me!' is just embarrassing as a sports fan. In fact, it's embarrassing as an adult human being.

It's like rocking up to a club with Liam Hemsworth and whinging that the chicks are all talking to him instead of you.
It's like blaming your hairdresser for it, or your s*** clothes, or your cursed bald gene.

Dude, you're f****** ugly and fat, and the dude next to you isn't. Live with it you f****** loser.

The reality is, head to head, you will never, EVER get more roots than him. EVER.

So you need to learn to live with the little wins. Hey, you might get a root one night, but it will only ever be whilst he has scabies or is in a full body cast or something. So dude, take your chance like the Bulldogs did!

Grow up Saints fans. You're embarrassing yourselves.
Last edited by rodgerfox on Thu 28 Mar 2019 10:38pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 11:31pm
Teflon wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 11:15pm
ausfatcat wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 7:33pm I think he fears for his next paycheck if he doesn't give negative sound bites to the media about the saints
When will people realise.
GT is all about GT - even if he has to publicly criticise the club just so his media persona stays somewhat relevant he’ll do it. To then hide a thinly veiled job application in there under the guise of “if they want my white knight help I’d do it” it’s just so obvious it isn’t funny.

He’s NEVER been welcome in AFL circles because most in the industry know he’s toxic and we are his whipping boy - which other AFL club has come knocking on GTs door since we arsed him?????? Why????

He should’ve stepped aside much earlier in his coach8ng dictatorship but after he got the reins he was never gonna do that.....to many free lunches and ultimately again “his club” he loves so much paid the price.
Good to see GT getting you excited again. Richo does not move you the same.

I do love GT and think most of what he says makes alot of sense.
I think GT clearly moves things for you....whatever floats your boat I guess...
I’m not moved by narcissistic megalomaniacs who us my club as their plaything and who manipulate gullible supporters...
Alan isn’t any of those things.....he’s just not up to the job....but hey....if the club are stupid enough to offer contract extensions for poor performance.....that’s not Alan’s fault.

“Yeah….nah””
degruch
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 6:14pm ...and since the inception of the AFL we have basically been better than Richmond and Carlton (2 big sides of the AFL).
Well, I would like to see the metrics on that...please indulge me.

guitars4
Club Player

I think it's more than that :oops: