Sam Rowe might be on the cards

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

takeaway
Club Player

Re: Sam Rowe might be on the cards

degruch wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 1:21pm
takeaway wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 1:09pm Billy is irreplaceable. Marsh & Rowe are of course short term replacements for our sudden lack of KPDs. I assume they would have to earn a spot in the 22, but quite a sensible move by the club imo.
That's the problem though, Marsh is potentially a 10 year player and adds value to the team instantly...Rowe is the guy they delisted to bring in Hugh Goddard! :shock: I can't see much benefit in his appointment, but I hope I'm wrong...maybe we won't use him at all? And...I think Billy's already been replaced.
Back up insurance I guess, need some extra big guys. I would rather Rowe than Goddard in the current scenario.I don't think the club sees Billy as replaced, Marshall Ok as 2nd ruck/forward, and Pierce I have doubts about.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 12:49pm I believe that is why we have signed Rowe - because that is what he is, an AFL proven full back, Is he Daniel Talia...no...but imo, given our current list and injury dramas, it's a reasonable descision. No hystrionics required I reckon.
Histrionics? Nah, we're actually talking about quality list management. That's something St Kilda has been poor at for multiple seasons. And as paying members, we need to be doing the due diligence on our football club at all times - or we're just idiots paying money to a lost cause.

Now, funny you mention Daniel Talia. I'd have taken Michael Talia before Rowe. Five years younger, multiple years up his sleeve, not on his last legs, who - like Marsh - had some problems, but overcome them and became a genuine state league star and found a new maturity that was lacking when he played AFL - where he looked more than capable.

Honestly, Rowe isn't in my top 30 options. He does seem to be a good bloke, from all accounts, but we have an entire squad of them.

I still can't get my head around why we wouldn't invest in a player who could contribute over multiple seasons - or get that assistant coach-type veteran.

Either go for a Luke Hodge/Sam Mitchell for leadership (that's Brendon Goddard or Michael Barlow right now), or if we are getting a KPP defender, nail one with prospects of being a 5-year player.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Richo trying to protect his own arse here. Terrible decision. Can't wait to see Rowe spud it up instead of Joyce, Battle, Austin and Clavarino getting experience.

Saint wagga
Club Player

evertonfc wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 1:40pm
Saint wagga wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 12:49pm I believe that is why we have signed Rowe - because that is what he is, an AFL proven full back, Is he Daniel Talia...no...but imo, given our current list and injury dramas, it's a reasonable descision. No hystrionics required I reckon.
Histrionics? Nah, we're actually talking about quality list management. That's something St Kilda has been poor at for multiple seasons. And as paying members, we need to be doing the due diligence on our football club at all times - or we're just idiots paying money to a lost cause.

Now, funny you mention Daniel Talia. I'd have taken Michael Talia before Rowe. Five years younger, multiple years up his sleeve, not on his last legs, who - like Marsh - had some problems, but overcome them and became a genuine state league star and found a new maturity that was lacking when he played AFL - where he looked more than capable.

Honestly, Rowe isn't in my top 30 options. He does seem to be a good bloke, from all accounts, but we have an entire squad of them.

I still can't get my head around why we wouldn't invest in a player who could contribute over multiple seasons - or get that assistant coach-type veteran.

Either go for a Luke Hodge/Sam Mitchell for leadership (that's Brendon Goddard or Michael Barlow right now), or if we are getting a KPP defender, nail one with prospects of being a 5-year player.
I think by signing a player that plays a specific position of which we still have zero depth for 1 season is sensible list management imo. All those players u listed don’t play fullback. I reckon everyone is getting a bit carried away with finding 10year players out of the minor leagues, they will still be the exception, not the rule. By going all speculative, that’s how u end up with lots of list cloggers. Specific need, afl proven, 1 year deal, zero coin...minimal risk for mine

Saint wagga
Club Player

Don’t forget, Carlton have a no.1 draft pick that plays Rowe’s positions, hence they could afford to let him go

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 2:30pm Don’t forget, Carlton have a no.1 draft pick that plays Rowe’s positions, hence they could afford to let him go
They also preferred Goddard to Rowe.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 2:28pm I think by signing a player that plays a specific position of which we still have zero depth for 1 season is sensible list management imo.
Sure, if it's 2009, and we're hunting a flag. But we're not even in top eight calculations. So what's the point in actively list-clogging when we have options to do otherwise?

We need to find players capable of playing 3-5 years of footy, minimum. This was a free swing. We got it right with Marsh, but the Rowe calls smacks of desperation. I'd have even taken Mitch Brown ahead of Rowe (at least you might get two years from him).

That was the call of a footy department caught in a frenzy of fear about 2019 becoming a car crash.

If Rowe goes on to play three years of solid footy, I'll take it back. Just don't see it happening.
All those players u listed don’t play fullback.
Yeah, but Logan Austin can do that. Hell, even Josh Bruce has played there. We're stretched, but we're not totally bereft of options.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 2:11pmCan't wait to see Rowe spud it up instead of Joyce, Battle, Austin and Clavarino getting experience.
We know Richo will bring Brown back in Round 2 once the suspension is served. How long do you think he waits before dropping Joyce for Rowe? If we lose to Essendon round 3, it's probably straight in for Rowe, right?

Then our defence is:

Geary (30) - Brown (30) - Rowe (31)
Savage (28) - Battle (20) - Webster (25)

https://www.saintsmembership.com.au/

Yeah nah pleasing positive
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

vacuous space wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 4:28pm
mad saint guy wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 2:11pmCan't wait to see Rowe spud it up instead of Joyce, Battle, Austin and Clavarino getting experience.
We know Richo will bring Brown back in Round 2 once the suspension is served. How long do you think he waits before dropping Joyce for Rowe? If we lose to Essendon round 3, it's probably straight in for Rowe, right?

Then our defence is:

Not Bombers Rd3, it's Freo in Perth

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
vacuous space
SS Life Member

WellardSaint wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 4:41pmNot Bombers Rd3, it's Freo in Perth
What I meant was, and my fingers typed very badly because they're stupid fingers and I hate them, is if we lose to the Bombers, then Rowe comes in round 3. I apologise for any confusion caused my useless digits.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Club Player

This time last year I was laughing at Carlton for playing Rowe. Thought it showed how shallow their depth was that he was on their list.
12 months later and we have just added him on.
Collingwood picked up Roughead for nothing.
I know that was pre losing Roberton but Carlisle was always a risk.
Collingwood get Roughead and we get Rowe. Sad.

Club Player

Adding Rowe can only assume Logan Austin isn’t up to it. Didn’t we give up a 2nd round pick for him?
Even Goddard would have been preferable to Rowe.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

This thread made me throw up in my mouth a little.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Club Player

vacuous space wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 4:28pm

Then our defence is:

Yuck. That is horrible.
Old slow and unskilled
3 blokes can’t kick.
2 are finished
1 is unproven.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

What I meant was, and my fingers typed very badly because they're stupid fingers and I hate them, is if we lose to the Bombers, then Rowe comes in round 3. I apologise for any confusion caused my useless digits.

Classic

:D

thank you

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Rowe IMO is mainly an insurance pick for a Key Defender role. Mostly I think they will go with Brown when available..

Marsh I presume would be given more of chance to bloom.

Logan at this stage, when fit again, is more your third tall back rather than key defender.
Oscar is probably going to well back due to his injury.
Joyce based on his JLT will be worth more senior games.
Battle might be heady back to the forward like with Paddy not available.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
silverhalo
Club Player

I have never been a fan of Sam Rowe but understand that the club would see this as an interim solution..

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 1:40pm

Great post. Agree 100 %

This is just one of those 'out there' conspiracy theories of mine...but sometimes reality is far far stranger than fiction
Last edited by Scollop on Sat 16 Mar 2019 10:50am, edited 1 time in total.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 2:11pm Richo trying to protect his own arse here. Terrible decision. Can't wait to see Rowe spud it up instead of Joyce, Battle, Austin and Clavarino getting experience.
Spot on.

Richo wants a win in Round 1. Richo and the club NEED a win in round 1

The ONLY reason that Rowe is being recruited is for Round 1

The irony might be that the plan backfires. I reckon their decision making has been so bad over the last few years that it probably will backfire

saintbob
SS Life Member

s*** recruiting, I seriously fear that when Richo gets sacked in R7 he’ll leave us in a far worse position than when Lyon f***ed off!!!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Not a complete spud. Rowe was 8th in the Blues best and fairest last season.

Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

The longer Alan Richardson remains as coach the worse the situation gets.
More stupid short term decision making at the expense of long term progress.

ST KILDA concedes it didn't know the full extent of prized recruit Dan Hannebery's struggles with his body when it traded for him.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 16 Mar 2019 11:25am Not a complete spud. Rowe was 8th in the Blues best and fairest last season.
"Rounding out this evening’s top-10 place-getters in the vote count was Dale Thomas (71) in fifth place, Liam Jones (48) in sixth, Zac Fisher (47) a close seventh, followed by Sam Rowe (43), Matthew Wright (39) in ninth place and Marc Murphy on 39 votes in 13 games."

Not having a go at him, but Luke Delaney finish fifth in our best and fairest in 2014.

That's context.
Last edited by evertonfc on Sat 16 Mar 2019 12:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Spoke to a Carlton fan at work and he said Rowe will give 100% every game and leave nothing in the tank. He is a classic journeyman. Will work hard but not finesse or great levels of skill. He said Carlton got rid of him as they needed to make room for you get players and didn't need him for depth. Would be a cheap one year player and rarely play for us, more sandy and mentoring

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Sat 16 Mar 2019 12:35pm Spoke to a Carlton fan at work and he said Rowe will give 100% every game and leave nothing in the tank. He is a classic journeyman. Will work hard but not finesse or great levels of skill. He said Carlton got rid of him as they needed to make room for you get players and didn't need him for depth. Would be a cheap one year player and rarely play for us, more sandy and mentoring
That may be where we find some value in him and his professionalism - and he is clearly strong in this department.

He might be able to mentor Clavarino in particular, and to a lesser extent Austin and Marsh. Even Carlisle needs some straightening up.