Team to play the bulldogs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Team to play the bulldogs

Team Selection

B:

Jarryn Geary

Darragh Joyce

Shane Savage

HB:

Josh Battle

Dylan Roberton

Jimmy Webster

C:

Jack Billings

Jack Newnes

Jack Sinclair

HF:

Jade Gresham

Josh Bruce

Dean Kent

F:

Tim Membrey

Paddy McCartin

Matthew Parker

FOLL:

Rowan Marshall

Sebastian Ross

Jack Steele

I/C:

Luke Dunstan

Hunter Clark

Jack Lonie

Ben Long

Nathan Brown

Ed Phillips

Nick Hind

Callum Wilkie

E:

Nick Coffield

Ben Paton

David Armitage

Lewis Pierce

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: Team to play the bulldogs

Coffield gets another run in the seconds...

longtimesaint
Club Player

Is Acres injured?

One year will be our year
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

longtimesaint wrote: Thu 07 Mar 2019 6:57pm Is Acres injured?
on the AFL site, it says he has a back issue, hurt during an intraclub I think,
and will be tested.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
guitars4
Club Player

Spinner wrote: Thu 07 Mar 2019 6:44pm Coffield gets another run in the seconds...
Has he been injured or has his form been an issue ? He is a top 10 draft pick & he can't get a game in a preseason competition . I thought he had a pretty average year last year considering he was pick 8 in the draft but you would think he would get a run in the preseason comp.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Saints by 47

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

guitars4 wrote: Thu 07 Mar 2019 8:16pm
Spinner wrote: Thu 07 Mar 2019 6:44pm Coffield gets another run in the seconds...
Has he been injured or has his form been an issue ? He is a top 10 draft pick & he can't get a game in a preseason competition . I thought he had a pretty average year last year considering he was pick 8 in the draft but you would think he would get a run in the preseason comp.
Maybe he's been told to "work on some things"
or maybe they think he's OK for seniors, but would rather try others first to see how they'd go?
Who knows...
Richo has new heads as assistants, experienced ones, so we have to trust they might be a lot better than their predecessors.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Crossy66
Club Player

saynta wrote: Thu 07 Mar 2019 6:31pm Team Selection

B:

Jarryn Geary

Darragh Joyce

Shane Savage

HB:

Josh Battle

Dylan Roberton

Jimmy Webster

C:

Jack Billings

Jack Newnes

Jack Sinclair

HF:

Jade Gresham

Josh Bruce

Dean Kent

F:

Tim Membrey

Paddy McCartin

Matthew Parker

FOLL:

Rowan Marshall

Sebastian Ross

Jack Steele

I/C:

Luke Dunstan

Hunter Clark

Jack Lonie

Ben Long

Nathan Brown

Ed Phillips

Nick Hind

Callum Wilkie

E:

Nick Coffield

Ben Paton

David Armitage

Pretty much the rnd one team. Maybe steven or armo only other additions

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Thu 07 Mar 2019 8:33pm
or maybe they think he's OK for seniors, but would rather try others first to see how they'd go?
Who knows...
Richo has new heads as assistants, experienced ones, so we have to trust they might be a lot better than their predecessors.
Nah not ok for seniors - every other senior player is playing together in this practice match. Not in the best 22 or 25 at this stage it seems unless something remarkable happens...

GilsAuPair
Club Player

That is our best available side pretty much.
Audition for Rd 1.
Last edited by GilsAuPair on Thu 07 Mar 2019 10:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Thu 07 Mar 2019 8:44pm
saynta wrote: Thu 07 Mar 2019 6:31pm Team Selection

B:

Jarryn Geary

Darragh Joyce

Shane Savage

HB:

Josh Battle

Dylan Roberton

Jimmy Webster

C:

Jack Billings

Jack Newnes

Jack Sinclair

HF:

Jade Gresham

Josh Bruce

Dean Kent

F:

Tim Membrey

Paddy McCartin

Matthew Parker

FOLL:

Rowan Marshall

Sebastian Ross

Jack Steele

I/C:

Luke Dunstan

Hunter Clark

Jack Lonie

Ben Long

Nathan Brown

Ed Phillips

Nick Hind

Callum Wilkie

E:

Nick Coffield

Ben Paton

David Armitage

Pretty much the rnd one team. Maybe steven or armo only other additions
Lewis Pierce is the 4th emergency.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Looking forward to seeing how Marshall goes. He will prove to be our No.1 ruckman.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Thu 07 Mar 2019 8:33pm
Who knows...
I thought drafting coffield was a mistake for us. He has the attributes of being a gun but we didn't another HBF. He may not be playing for numerous reasons but he has the hardest position to break into the team and he was only ok last year, not good

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Fri 08 Mar 2019 8:35am I thought drafting coffield was a mistake for us. He has the attributes of being a gun but we didn't another HBF. He may not be playing for numerous reasons but he has the hardest position to break into the team and he was only ok last year, not good
That's unbelievably harsh. He's only played one season. He might not be ready for constant senior footy. I think he showed enough last season to indicate that he has the attributes necessary to play regular senior footy. Not everyone is a Bontempelli or Martin and ready made from day one. Time is well and truly on his side at the moment. Give him time to develop the endurance to run and run all day then we'll see him in the starting 18.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Life Long Saint wrote: Fri 08 Mar 2019 11:42am
That's unbelievably harsh. He's only played one season. He might not be ready for constant senior footy. I think he showed enough last season to indicate that he has the attributes necessary to play regular senior footy. Not everyone is a Bontempelli or Martin and ready made from day one. Time is well and truly on his side at the moment. Give him time to develop the endurance to run and run all day then we'll see him in the starting 18.
I should have been clearer. I still think Coffield could be a gun and you are right players take time. I meant we didn't need another HBF as much as do other positions and there were plenty of other players on offer who we could have drafted and used. Even if they didn't work out it would have been worth the risk to draft them. I always liked Higgins and said as much back then, not related by the way.

Now we have Coffield who is trying to get game time in a position that is the most heavily contested. Webster gets a run as he is good and getting better. Gears because he is captain, Roberton as he was all Aus squad before heart issues. So that leaves one spot between savage whose long kick now becomes more valuable, Nick hind who has pace that we need, battle depending on whether is playing as a kdp and Coffield who is still learning the craft.

Just saying wouldn't it be better to have an up and coming outside mid or pacy small forward or even a ruckman rather than another HBF

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Fri 08 Mar 2019 8:35am I thought drafting coffield was a mistake for us. He has the attributes of being a gun but we didn't another HBF. He may not be playing for numerous reasons but he has the hardest position to break into the team and he was only ok last year, not good
I think he would have been a fine choice at 8 for a team that needed a medium-sized rebounding half back. We were not a team that needed that kind of player. I suspect that we're trying to turn him into a midfielder which I don't see working out. Coffield strikes me as a player who works best when the play is in front of him; he's never going to be a contested ball beast. I was stoked that we chose Clark, but Fogarty, Bonar or Higgins would have been my preferred options at pick 8

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Thu 07 Mar 2019 10:44pm Looking forward to seeing how Marshall goes. He will prove to be our No.1 ruckman.
Or maybe our FB in Round 1 if 2mtr Peter plays for the Suns?
(in the absence of Carlisle and Brown)

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Hey Coff - if you are reading this - there are some who want you at the Saints!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Looks pretty close to our Rd 1 side. Maybe Joyce is being earmarked as our new FB.

The forward line is looking good. Its a bit different with Kent and Parker in there.

Fingers crossed Steven and Hannebery play Rd 1.

Also really like that HB line. Very attacking and all bloody good footballers.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
minneapolis
Club Player

My takeouts:

Joyce cracks it for a game round 1. Well done.

Nathan Brown won't play. Will be back Round 2 though. Probably Joyce out.

Armo struggling for a game early in the season. A bit hard on him but right for the club going forward.

Ed Phillips, Paton or Nick Hind may pinch Sinclair's spot depending on this game.

Dean Kent will play Round 1.

Forward Pocket - Round 1. Lonie, Long or Parker? Richo will choose Lonie, Ratten will choose Parker. Let's see who wins? (It will be Lonie).

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

The Coff'. Looks to me to have bulked up, so should now be able to do his stuff against AFL-sized bodies. That just leaves aerobic capacity - I'm not sure where he stands on that one. Anyone know?

So IMHO, maybe this year, if not, 2020 for sure... break out year. :D

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

I still want Josh Battle playing forward! Half backs are easy to find.

However, blokes who can get hold of the footy up forward... and then kick the bloody thing... straight... :idea:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Dave McNamara wrote: Fri 08 Mar 2019 2:41pm I still want Josh Battle playing forward! Half backs are easy to find.

However, blokes who can get hold of the footy up forward... and then kick the bloody thing... straight... :idea:
My guess is he is filling a hole at present but will become a swingman if one of kpd can cover for Carlisle. IE Joyce or Oscar. Unlikely to make finals so now is the year for this experiment

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

The fictional mug punter odds algorithm includes a string where if any two of Savage, Newnes, Sinclair and Lonie are in the same Saints side then just keep accepting bets and post the odds @ $3 or better. If more than two, $3.50 or better and add in a bonus bet. Keep pumping up Lonie's tyres in the press and hope the selectors read.

Kick out King newsletter suggests that if S. Savage is first choice last line defender so he can take kick outs Saints may be a first casualty of the new rule. Better (but far from best) option might be to have Jarryn kick torps or mongrels to a pack and play a tall physically tough hurts you in the tackles defender. SS may connect with say 90% of his kick outs but in general play will give up several goals. Its unlikely he can generate 4 plus coast to coast plays, but who knows.

BadRossco
Club Player

To answer guitars4, Acres was actually pick 19, in 2013, behind Billings 3 and Dunstan 18. But imo if given a fair go could be the best of the three and the equal of most top 10 picks. Hope Richo does not do to him what Lyon did to Luke Ball