Lock for Bottom 4?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lock for Bottom 4?

The lower we finish the better our draft pick.
In hindsight five straight bottom two positions would have helped a lot more. We’d enter this year with a few more guns and Ratten as our senior coach. Richo would be back at port or at the Suns in a minor role. Maybe we need to start over and spend a few seasons rebuilding. Be the new Melbourne. Once you rise the past years are soon forgotten.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Tue 26 Feb 2019 1:06pm If our list has luck with injury we can make the finals.

We will know by round 6
I agree with you on our list but I don't think that is where we are disadvantaged

If we adopt the AFLX coachless strategy and...

If the the other 17 teams also adhere by the AFLX coachless rules...

Our players alone and our whole playing list doesn't look too bad.

Our list will be hamstrung by a head coach who has not shown good acumen in regard to game plans, team selection, player development, and team morale. Leadership is still an issue at St Kilda and unless we start seeing a team that can produce on field I don't buy the spin from the club.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Tue 26 Feb 2019 1:48pm The lower we finish the better our draft pick.
In hindsight five straight bottom two positions would have helped a lot more. We’d enter this year with a few more guns and Ratten as our senior coach. Richo would be back at port or at the Suns in a minor role. Maybe we need to start over and spend a few seasons rebuilding. Be the new Melbourne. Once you rise the past years are soon forgotten.
So the club would have been much, much better off retaining Scott Watters and losing Joey and Chips and Roo a lot earlier

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

I'm confident we'll be significally better than last year. Where that takes us, who knows?

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

This thread makes me laugh. No team is a lock for any position. The last three seasons have shown that.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

We have an easy draw. Our team will be better off with Robertson and Bruce returning. However, aside from The Suns, every other team around us is on the improve, and have young players who have genuine star potential. Without genuine improvement from Billings, Acres, Longer, Long, Marshall, Battle, Austin, McCartin, and Sinclair, we will wallow at the lower reaches of the ladder. Apart from Battle, who is still a baby, the rest of those players are in a make or break scenario. Another so-so season from guys who are either mature age or have been on the list for a few years will deny us any chance of becoming a finalist any time. In the near future

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Bottom 4 means we could finish as high as 15th

I’d be happy with that!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Why do ppl keep mentioning that Bruce and Roberton being back will be a giant help. We were dreadful from the getgo last year. Both players were playing at that time. Both are ok AFL footballers but certainly not the stars we're looking for to bring us fwd. It's the Clarkes, Coffields, Greshams, Billings, McCartin, Battle that will make us a better team if they can step up. The young guys. The older guys simply aren't going to improve us much from where we were at.

Can't see too many opposition supporters saying, 'Saints have Bruce back, that'll change things for em.'

Roberton is a feel good story but he's just a half back flanker who tries very hard. He's not overly quick, or strong, or has particularly great skills. He reads the play well and provides good support up back. Certainly not a game changer.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 26 Feb 2019 2:44pm
desertsaint wrote: Tue 26 Feb 2019 1:48pm The lower we finish the better our draft pick.
So the club would have been much, much better off retaining Scott Watters and losing Joey and Chips and Roo a lot earlier
Would appear so. Couldn’t be worse.
But I’m talking about the five wasted years under richo.

Gershwin
Club Player

Moods wrote: Tue 26 Feb 2019 4:51pm Why do ppl keep mentioning that Bruce and Roberton being back will be a giant help. We were dreadful from the getgo last year. Both players were playing at that time. Both are ok AFL footballers but certainly not the stars we're looking for to bring us fwd. It's the Clarkes, Coffields, Greshams, Billings, McCartin, Battle that will make us a better team if they can step up. The young guys. The older guys simply aren't going to improve us much from where we were at.

Can't see too many opposition supporters saying, 'Saints have Bruce back, that'll change things for em.'

Roberton is a feel good story but he's just a half back flanker who tries very hard. He's not overly quick, or strong, or has particularly great skills. He reads the play well and provides good support up back. Certainly not a game changer.
Roberton was an All-Australian in 2017. One of the best rebounding defenders in the competition. Would get a game in most AFL sides.

summertime and the living is easy ........
suss
Club Player

Our game plan looked better at the intra club match but our list still stinks. We don't have any elite talent and too many slow mids. Our backline is okay, and our forward line our strong point but both will be tested if injuries hit because we don't have the depth of the better clubs.

I don't think we'll be as bad as we were in 2018 (I mean, how could we) but we'll be miles off top eight, even though we have the easiest draw.

If Richo doesn't have any more than 2 wins by round 7 or 8 he'll be gone and Ratten will take over from there.

BTW - I can't believe people are getting excited because the players are actually working their backsides off this pre-season. Shouldn't they do that every pre-season?

DJ Higgins
Club Player

With the terrible news of Jack Steven needing time away, and take all the time you need mate, we are now going to finish bottom 4. No speed in the middle now so we will get run over every game

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

mightysainters wrote: Tue 26 Feb 2019 12:36pm Not to mention our two top 5 players in Hannas and Carlisle now out for longer than expected is the word.. especially carlisle who is the most important player in our team with Steven
You have hit the nail on the head, and certainly coincidental given the news today.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 26 Feb 2019 2:42pm
Cairnsman wrote: Tue 26 Feb 2019 1:06pm If our list has luck with injury we can make the finals.

We will know by round 6
I agree with you on our list but I don't think that is where we are disadvantaged

If we adopt the AFLX coachless strategy and...

If the the other 17 teams also adhere by the AFLX coachless rules...

Our players alone and our whole playing list doesn't look too bad.

Our list will be hamstrung by a head coach who has not shown good acumen in regard to game plans, team selection, player development, and team morale. Leadership is still an issue at St Kilda and unless we start seeing a team that can produce on field I don't buy the spin from the club.
Dry your eyes princess. We can always watch another sport if this one upsets you too much.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I'll stop being upset once Richo packs his bags

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 26 Feb 2019 7:54pm I'll stop being upset once Richo packs his bags
ok then princess

<one day ban for commenting on a poster>

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I'm not really all that concerned where we finish. My expectations have been quite low throughout the off-season. Would be nice to see improvement in a few areas. I'm just gonna roll with the punches and try and have a good time with fellow Sainters at the footy this year.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

P.S. We really don't have a lot to lose this year. Let's just try and enjoy ourselves as best as we can. Life's too short to feel miserable about the failures. Time to cut our losses.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

anyone who thinks we will be better than bottom 4 will be simply antagonising themselves ..as I have said many times before..getting a grip with reality will make you feel a whole lot better ...believe me it works . we are in for another terrible year. you may dislike my negative posts and I really don't care.. just trying to help.
I have seen nothing that makes me think we will improve..my only hope is that in 2 years time we have some youngens that will help us turn the corner.

if you adopt this frame of mind you will actually enjoy what meager offerings this season may offer.

axcellence
Club Player

Even I thought 8-10 wins were possible. But Steven is a big out if he isn’t back till round 1.

Sadly, I think it is time to trade him off for his own sake and let him have a fresh start elsewhere. Sometimes it’s about the individual as well.

17th is looking likely at this stage with the outs leading in to the first few rounds....

It will be a long year now.....

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Best hope for this year is that Billings, Paddy, Acres step up to consistently good level
That Clark and Coffield improve well in their second year
And Battle , Marshall and at least one of our other Ruckman grab their opportunities.

There is the basis of a good side there and maybe a star player away from playing finals.

Max King to debut sometime through the year will be a highlight also.

Expect bottom 6, but would love a 10 win season with the emergence of a game plan and some players.
Surely out of the 4 speed demons we drafted, at least one or two will come good.

Nee!
GilsAuPair
Club Player

Gershwin wrote: Tue 26 Feb 2019 5:07pm Roberton was an All-Australian in 2017. One of the best rebounding defenders in the competition. Would get a game in most AFL sides.
Last edited by GilsAuPair on Wed 27 Feb 2019 7:51pm, edited 3 times in total.

guitars4
Club Player

IMO even if we perform above expectation I really can't see us finishing any higher than 13th /14th . This is not a doom & gloom post but again IMO only it's realistic. We haven't recruited any game changers & some of our better players are under injury clouds. It's a tough business & other teams have improved their lists as well so for us to march up the ladder you have to consider a team like Fremantle have picked up Hogan , Lobb ,Conca & Collier & lost Lauchie Neal which will hurt but I don't think of them as finishing in the top 10 . Don't get me wrong I would love the Saints to turn it around after last years effort but where is it going to come from ? Ok Bruce is back but he has been ordinary for the past 2 years & Roberton will be a great acquisition if he stays healthy but in all due respect he is not a game changer. You can be optimistic but it will take a miracle for us to even challenge the 8.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

We’ll have a great battle with the Suns for that wooden trophy. For awhile there it looked like it was there’s for the taking.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Just hope King stays with us and isn’t up at the coast with his bro in a couple of years.