Bassat on the focus now- The Age

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Bassat on the focus now- The Age

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/st- ... 50xm2.html
Bassat said the focus had to be on-field.

"Now we're back at Moorabbin and we've got a new stadium deal, we're optimistic we can start earning money and paying off the debt going forward.''

The Saints have repaid $700,000 to the AFL, which is owed close to half of their debt. They received more than $19m from the AFL - the most of any Victorian club in 2018 - but $500,000 less than in 2017, when the Marvel Stadium deal was inferior.

"We're now back at Moorabbin, we've done the hard work to do that, we've now got a decent stadium deal, we've rebuilt the culture - five years ago, I think it was a mess it's fair to say .

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Re: Bassat on the focus now- The Age

Those who orchestrated the move to Seafolly certainly do have one hellova' lot to answer for. :evil:

And even more so again, those incompitent arseclowns who were handed the golden goose... and dropped it... the return to JO. :evil: :evil: :evil:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Dave McNamara wrote: Wed 13 Feb 2019 9:39pm Those who orchestrated the move to Seafolly certainly do have one hellova' lot to answer for. :evil:

And even more so again, those incompitent arseclowns who were handed the golden goose... and dropped it... the return to JO. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Careful there Dave, anything less than cheer-leading for the club could now result in a ban, and possibly incompetent spelling could see that ban become permanent. I wonder, if I post something negative about myself is that a bannable offense?

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Good article, and interesting that he’s not prepared to back the (earlier) political line about the benefits of the move to Seaford.

Always loyal
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote: Wed 13 Feb 2019 9:39pm Those who orchestrated the move to Seafolly certainly do have one hellova' lot to answer for. :evil:

How do I report evil emoticons.
Hang on - why do we even have evil emoticons?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote: Wed 13 Feb 2019 9:47pm

Careful there Dave, anything less than cheer-leading for the club could now result in a ban, and possibly incompetent spelling could see that ban become permanent. I wonder, if I post something negative about myself is that a bannable offense?
I take offence to your spelling of offense. In Australia, thats worth a day surely.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 13 Feb 2019 10:27pm

I take offence to your spelling of offense. In Australia, thats worth a day surely.
Your spelling of "thats" instead of "that's" and your failure to use a comma between "day" and "surely" earns you at least a two day break......

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

IMO anything PB does is very strategic.

So why bag the shyte out of Seaford?

What’s the play here?

I assume it’s to help us/the media/AFL appreciate part of the reason we have the $12M debt.

It’s all about keeping the club afloat without the need for further AFL money = control.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote: Wed 13 Feb 2019 11:04pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 13 Feb 2019 10:27pm

Your spelling of "thats" instead of "that's" and your failure to use a comma between "day" and "surely" earns you at least a two day break......
I fail to see the humour or irony in your post. 😁😁😁 I think I actually mlght need a break.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Merely highlighting the shyte decisions of the past.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
casey scorp
Club Player

“It was a mistake at the time and it was even worse mistake in hindsight. We shouldn’t have gone to Seaford.”

Funny, there were a few of us on here at the time pointing out that Seaford would be a mistake. But the club mouthpieces here just parroted the rubbish being spruiked from the club.

You didn’t need hindsight to know that Seaford was going to be a big mistake. It had nothing going for it.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

- Will be interesting if there is any response from "those responsible" (who are? Any AFL Executives implicated?)

- Possibly a deflection from the 2011 to now slide in performances. Would also be interested in a behavioural economist explaining the correlation between the club's debt and an inability by elite AFL footballers to kick 40 or less metres through a 7 metre gap. There's a PHD lurking there. Anyway we have moved so that is clearly worth a few wins a season.

- No mention of the impact Reiwoldt going might have had on exposing AR's coaching in 2018.

- If President Bassat is correct and Richardson is a gun coach how bad could we have gone last year without him. Terrible to contemplate.

- Good he supports the coach for all of 2019. Now what's AR's motivation to get the side humming. Other than constant sniping from the press and me he is going to be pretty well set up for the next phase of his life however the W-L stats pan out. Its not like he is auditioning to coach one of the perennial finals making clubs; based on his recent comments he has become a time server and a shameless purveyor of clichés. (Bassat can't be serious about AR coaching a further 5 years in the same interview he is criticising the move to Seaford, could he.)

- As Bassat has fingered S. Lethlean as responsible for the performance model we now have I guess Simon will be watching Alan like a hawk (sorry Saint) and giving him regular reminders about the need to win games. That might motivate him. Nagging works to get me cracking.

mordiboyz
Club Player

I congratulate Basset on the interview, finally we have a leader who says it for what it is.

The Seaford move really cost us no matter what angle you want to take at it.

Of course he has to back Richo, it's the start of the season. What else is he going to say? If Richo doesn't produce by mid season, watch Ratten start doing press conferences.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

mordiboyz wrote: Thu 14 Feb 2019 9:59am I congratulate Basset on the interview, finally we have a leader who says it for what it is.

Of course he has to back Richo, it's the start of the season. What else is he going to say? If Richo doesn't produce by mid season, watch Ratten start doing press conferences.
Agree. He is a businessman and you show a united front to the client at all times so he will if course back Richo in until such time as a change is required. Even if we are 0/6 or 1/5 he will choose words that are supportive but be under no doubt this guy has the next few steps planned

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Thought it was a really good interview. Read it carefully . It reads like he fully backs the coach, but in actuality he's basically saying that we're out of excuses and if we don't perform on the field he's out on his ear - by the end of the year. Exactly how it should be. He makes sure he doesn't back himself into a cnr by putting a number on the wins for the year. He sensibly just says that he wants us to be competitive week in, week out. I agree with that 100%. Win/loss ratio can be very deceiving. You can look better or worse depending on who you play and where you play them. We can all tell if the team has improved by a 2-3 goal loss to WC at Optus stadium. A 10 goal win against GC can mean anything.

I was very interested in his comments re every expense will be scrutinised to assess whether it will assist the Saints to be more competitive and win us games of footy. If it doesn't then it's de-prioritised or simply won't be done. Is he saying that the AFLW team will be taken off the agenda for the time being? That's how I read it and if so I agree. I know many, possibly most, disagree with this line of thinking however I fail to see how the Saints having an AFLW team will assist our mens team win a flag. Will it increase our exposure and attract more female members?? I don't think so. Eventually the AFL will say to the clubs that this competition needs to stand on it's own two feet. That means clubs will have to pay for coaches, players, extra equipment etc. We simply don't have the funds and I read that this may well be de-prioritised by Basat.

Promising interview in any event - regardless of my take on the AFLW. I like the fact that he appears to be the type to get on the front foot.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I love a straight shooter.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
spert
Saintsational Legend

Definitely a positive slant from the new pres. Trying to establish a high profile sporting club in the boondocks of a low profile outer seaside suburb was a big ask- and as a highly successful businessman said to me at the time: WTF are these drongos doing! The full support of Richo by the pres is a bad sign..reeks of Morrison patting Turnbull on the back then pulling the rug out from under him.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/st- ... 50xm2.html

"While the president would not discuss the contract details – Richardson is coach for 2019 and 2020 but with performance clauses that protect the club – he said: "(Alan is) absolutely the coach going forward, certainly through 2019 and you know, if we're on track, he'll likely be our coach beyond that. What I hope is that Alan is our coach in five years and that Alan, I hope coaches through to the second flag.''

Bassat said the focus had to be on-field.

"Now we're back at Moorabbin and we've got a new stadium deal, we're optimistic we can start earning money and paying off the debt going forward.''

:D :D :D :D :D :wink:

Good news

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Bassett will be a godsend, just like Lethlean. These blokes will turn the joint around. Just wait and see.

Bassett is a highly astute businessman (one of the best in Australia) and WILL fix things. He loves the club too. What more can you ask for.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Seek.com is worth more than 2 billion dollars .
Couldn't bassett orchestrate a very generous sponsorship that would knock off that debt in a couple of years ?

In red white and black from 73
mordiboyz
Club Player

mr six o'clock wrote: Thu 14 Feb 2019 12:54pm Seek.com is worth more than 2 billion dollars .
Couldn't bassett orchestrate a very generous sponsorship that would knock off that debt in a couple of years ?
We have to prove that we are worthy of that sponsorship first.

casey scorp
Club Player

mr six o'clock wrote: Thu 14 Feb 2019 12:54pm Seek.com is worth more than 2 billion dollars .
He’s going to try and make the business prosper - not prop it up!

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

casey scorp wrote: Thu 14 Feb 2019 8:10am “It was a mistake at the time and it was even worse mistake in hindsight. We shouldn’t have gone to Seaford.”

Funny, there were a few of us on here at the time pointing out that Seaford would be a mistake. But the club mouthpieces here just parroted the rubbish being spruiked from the club.

You didn’t need hindsight to know that Seaford was going to be a big mistake. It had nothing going for it.
I don't recall too many people on here, if any, that thought moving to Seaford was a good idea.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Moods wrote: Thu 14 Feb 2019 10:38am Thought it was a really good interview. Read it carefully . It reads like he fully backs the coach, but in actuality he's basically saying that we're out of excuses and if we don't perform on the field he's out on his ear - by the end of the year. Exactly how it should be. He makes sure he doesn't back himself into a cnr by putting a number on the wins for the year. He sensibly just says that he wants us to be competitive week in, week out. I agree with that 100%. Win/loss ratio can be very deceiving. You can look better or worse depending on who you play and where you play them. We can all tell if the team has improved by a 2-3 goal loss to WC at Optus stadium. A 10 goal win against GC can mean anything.

I was very interested in his comments re every expense will be scrutinised to assess whether it will assist the Saints to be more competitive and win us games of footy. If it doesn't then it's de-prioritised or simply won't be done. Is he saying that the AFLW team will be taken off the agenda for the time being? That's how I read it and if so I agree. I know many, possibly most, disagree with this line of thinking however I fail to see how the Saints having an AFLW team will assist our mens team win a flag. Will it increase our exposure and attract more female members?? I don't think so. Eventually the AFL will say to the clubs that this competition needs to stand on it's own two feet. That means clubs will have to pay for coaches, players, extra equipment etc. We simply don't have the funds and I read that this may well be de-prioritised by Basat.

Promising interview in any event - regardless of my take on the AFLW. I like the fact that he appears to be the type to get on the front foot.
Largely agree with what you took out of the interview. On the AFLW, I agree it adds zilch to a Premiership quest, although it will probably improve membership. I think Bassat has inherited that and has to run with it. A VFL team would assist far more in the quest for a Premiership.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

DJ Higgins wrote: Thu 14 Feb 2019 10:30am
mordiboyz wrote: Thu 14 Feb 2019 9:59am I congratulate Basset on the interview, finally we have a leader who says it for what it is.

Agree. He is a businessman and you show a united front to the client at all times so he will if course back Richo in until such time as a change is required. Even if we are 0/6 or 1/5 he will choose words that are supportive but be under no doubt this guy has the next few steps planned
I think Bassat's view on Richo is obvious. He will not sack him mid season because that's pointless and potentiallly counter-productive. If we improve Richo stays, the question is what would Bassat consider an improvement? I think finals or no finals, the benchmark will be that we are in better shape (on the footy field) than we were at the end of 2017. If we are, Richo will go on, if not, he won't.