How do IP addresses work?

The place to discuss issues with administrators and moderators. Suggestions welcome. All bans will be posted here and the banning appeals process will be held in this forum.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

How do IP addresses work?

For a brief period yesterday I found myself locked out of SS under the guise of receiving a lifetime ban that appeared to be attributed to a former user.

Obviously the issue is all sorted now but I’m curious as to what happened and hope of the tech heads can tell me.

It appears to me that I may have drifted into the home territory of said user and piggy backed onto their IP? Is that a thing? Does that happen or is it more likely to just be a teething problem of the new site.

Just curious?

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Re: How do IP addresses work?

yeah IPs can be tricky -
the norm for most internet users is that each time you log on to the internet you are assigned a dynamic IP
your home modem tho will have a fairly stable IP - until you either reboot the modem or your ISP company does at their end. Meaning that your ISP has a range of IPs they dish out at random
it is possible that said banned user was with the same ISP as you ...

and then there are ways to get round any blocked IP - in other words its not a reliable or infallible method of control
thats the quickie version anyway

Seeya
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Re: How do IP addresses work?

Oh PS with the new phBB software - there would have been a period the site might have been down (very briefly tho) - you would need BUSA to confirm times for that

Seeya