Gears to stay skipper

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Gears to stay skipper

Crossy66 wrote: Sat 02 Feb 2019 4:10pm
Cairnsman wrote: Sat 02 Feb 2019 1:58pm
To the top wrote: Thu 31 Jan 2019 8:32pm 1. Geary does not man up, going to contests and competing overhead against size in both instances leaving players free to damage us including by running into open goals

2. From behinds against Geary is left free in a pocket, demanding the ball because he is Captain and otherwise not manned up by opposition for the reason that he is a liability in regards run and carry and especially with ineffective disposal which leads to turn overs

3 Geary does not and does not have the skill set to “lead from the front” impacting on the performance of the side and the result of any match These are the reasons the recent loss of Fisher, Dempster, Riewoldt and Montagna has been so negative to team performance - there is a leadership void emphasised by the appointment of Geary for precisely the wrong reasons (and he will never be a mid-fielder)

Such appointments along with placing reliance on Longer and some others is holding this Club back

I do not know about Richardson as a Coach but from such decisions as these confidence in the Club’s prospects is fraught

In terms of player’s voting, there is the likelihood that any vote supports what is perceived to be the view of the Coach so the expectation is the result

It is time for St Kilda to address the future absent the bevy of class footballers who have represented the Club over the recent past, identify the next group and appoint a young Captain from that group

Then issue the challenge

This is your future, lead your mates to that future
So what can he do? or rather what is he good at in terms of football skills?

I remember watching some 2009 replays which I think was his breakout year, if you can call it that, he played the first 10 games of that season and I seem to remember him exciting us all. Anyway from watching the replays he looked a different player, had a bit of run and carry about him, even some zig and zag through traffic which some of also resulted in him scoring some pretty good goals. Can't remember if RL had him as a mid or forward amongst those 10 games but definitely wasn't a defender in the replays I was watching.

So what are his football strengths outside of leadership? And how would you use him to exploit those strengths?
I can recall him early days as well Cairnsman , he looked a likely mid. I am pretty sure he got votes in his first game but not certain.
As for his skills, i think he is a great runner, tackling machine, head over ball, can take a grab, seems good by hand. The only issue for me is hitting up a target when under pressure or when the kick has to be spot on and thats usually the case coming out of the backline with the second kick.
With his run and stopping skills, i reckon he could be a great tagger, particularly if they decide to let Steel loose

I would like to see how he goes when surrounded by good players as he was from 2008 - 11. I hope that happens this year!
Yeah tagger seems appropriate C66 however I wonder if two phenomenon collided to conspire against him and prevent that from happening to-date, firstly the point you make about being surrounded by good players, and secondly the last few seasons have seen dedicated taggers go out of style in the age of the more fashionable and versatile two way player.

He was certainly surrounded by good players in white hot form during that 10 game run in 2009, that team would have made me look like Robert Harvey.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Steele has become our on ball tagger, he is young and has a lot of upside. His offensive game is on the improve as well.

Why should the Saints shunt him aside to play Geary in that role instead?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Sat 02 Feb 2019 1:58pm I remember watching some 2009 replays which I think was his breakout year,
It's a good point, he was pretty exciting early on and was unlucky not to play finals in 2009 after being involved in 15 wins. That year he had career high tackles and marks per match, kicked 7 goals and averaged the same amount of kicks as he has the last 7 years.

He probably would have been a better option than Eddy or McQualter.

Pretty different pressure on a 21 year old coming off the rookie list and playing in a team chock full of All Australians.

The captain needs to lead by example, not just with effort and communication, but also execution which is where he can fall over.

The guys is elite in endurance, attack on the ball, very good one on one, reads the ball pretty well and has the same level of courage as Roo, his downside can be very damaging and demoralizing, poor kicking, poor decision making and poise.

He's the kind of guy who would work very well in a team chock with stars so he didn't need to over-use the ball or do too much. Trying to lead the side whilst not being able to hit targets himself is a precarious situation.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Sat 02 Feb 2019 4:50pm
As for his skills, i think he is a great runner, tackling machine, head over ball, can take a grab, seems good by hand.

Tackling machine? Career average is 2.6 per game

Why, or how, is Geary a tackling machine?

Savage for example who is not known for his tackling averages 2.4.
Would you accept a tackling hand tool?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Sat 02 Feb 2019 5:01pm Steele has become our on ball tagger, he is young and has a lot of upside. His offensive game is on the improve as well.

Why should the Saints shunt him aside to play Geary in that role instead?
Not shunt aside but complement as the equivalent rotate player when one rolls forward or back one kick away.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players ... Geary.html

Seems like last year was JGs first where his handball disposals exceeded his kicks.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Look Geary has been a good soldier for the Saints. Has given his all.

BUT he he will not be why we play finals again, when and if we do. He may well be part of our 22, but he will not be THE reason for us getting there if we do.

We NEED some of our younger players to step up and become good, very good and stars and if they do not then we will be competing more for the Wooden Spoon than the Premiership Cup.

PS: Geary's Age: 30yr 7mth
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sat 02 Feb 2019 5:52pm, edited 3 times in total.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 02 Feb 2019 5:32pm https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players ... Geary.html

Seems like last year was JGs first where his handball disposals exceeded his kicks.
What's the stat for number of players in the backline versus game time. He would have felt like a traffic cop in a phone box last year. Which begs the question, what have been his best years for most kicks and kicking efficiency and out of the backline? 2016 and 2017 would be interesting data. Let's overlay some metrics shall we.

Crossy66
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote: Sat 02 Feb 2019 5:21pm
saintsRrising wrote: Sat 02 Feb 2019 4:50pm
As for his skills, i think he is a great runner, tackling machine, head over ball, can take a grab, seems good by hand.

Tackling machine? Career average is 2.6 per game

Why, or how, is Geary a tackling machine?

Savage for example who is not known for his tackling averages 2.4.
Would you accept a tackling hand tool?
A surprising fact. I just recall a number of big tackles over the last few seasons where he buried someone or brought down a bigger player. So hand tool it will have to be.
As someone else also mentioned, JG is 30 years old so you'd expect a changing of the guard next year.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Sat 02 Feb 2019 5:42pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 02 Feb 2019 5:32pm https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players ... Geary.html

What's the stat for number of players in the backline versus game time. He would have felt like a traffic cop in a phone box last year. Which begs the question, what have been his best years for most kicks and kicking efficiency and out of the backline? 2016 and 2017 would be interesting data. Let's overlay some metrics shall we.
No./players in backline vs game time?
You mean the amount of game time (x) by one given player over how many of that team’s players stood in the back half of the ground? (Y)

I guess you are looking for a metric that reflects how a given defender performance changes in crowded (and probably losing) conditions. I am seeing poor kicking disposal under pressure might be on of JGs less than flattering traits but I’m also reading he is isolated a lot so unless isolation counts as pressure I assume those kicks not under pressure are not as awry as assumed?

His great tackle against Patton ? (GWS) is famous and on YT in its own right he has also been lauded as a tackler somewhere, maybe AFL site article, a couple of years ago.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I would like a Tim Pekin kind of player down there too.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 02 Feb 2019 6:40pm
Cairnsman wrote: Sat 02 Feb 2019 5:42pm

No./players in backline vs game time?
You mean the amount of game time (x) by one given player over how many of that team’s players stood in the back half of the ground? (Y)

I guess you are looking for a metric that reflects how a given defender performance changes in crowded (and probably losing) conditions. I am seeing poor kicking disposal under pressure might be on of JGs less than flattering traits but I’m also reading he is isolated a lot so unless isolation counts as pressure I assume those kicks not under pressure are not as awry as assumed?

His great tackle against Patton ? (GWS) is famous and on YT in its own right he has also been lauded as a tackler somewhere, maybe AFL site article, a couple of years ago.
I wonder if there is a link between his hard Roo like gut running ability, and kicking efficiency. But sometimes footy fans get an idea in thier head based on isolated events and never let go and that's why I'm saying some metrics would be an interesting overlay to the discussion. Objectivety if you like. To the Top sounds convinced on the subject so maybe he's studied the data available to club land and is justified in his views.

Crossy66
Club Player

worth having a look at JG's 2016 highlights,particularly the tackles. He came runner up in the 2016 TB medal ahead of Roo and Joey and won the STFC trademark award.
Highly rated internally

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Sat 02 Feb 2019 8:04pm worth having a look at JG's 2016 highlights,particularly the tackles. He came runner up in the 2016 TB medal ahead of Roo and Joey and won the STFC trademark award.
Highly rated internally
Some goals as well.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 02 Feb 2019 6:42pm I would like a Tim Pekin kind of player down there too.

Tim was a very good player for us.

Sanctorum
Club Player

dragit wrote: Sat 02 Feb 2019 5:03pm
The captain needs to lead by example, not just with effort and communication, but also execution which is where he can fall over.

The guys is elite in endurance, attack on the ball, very good one on one, reads the ball pretty well and has the same level of courage as Roo, his downside can be very damaging and demoralizing, poor kicking, poor decision making and poise.

He's the kind of guy who would work very well in a team chock with stars so he didn't need to over-use the ball or do too much. Trying to lead the side whilst not being able to hit targets himself is a precarious situation.
It should also be mentioned that he is on record as stating (words to the effect) that he never aspired to be the team captain, and that the role does not sit easily with him....

As for Seb Ross, he has played 102 games and at 25 he is more than ready to assume the captaincy - in the absence of Geary when the club announced the China venture Ross handled the media presentation exceptionally well.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist