Josh Battle

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: Josh Battle

DJ Higgins wrote: Tue 22 Jan 2019 6:55pm
Devilhead wrote: Tue 22 Jan 2019 5:41pm Mins 2.42 / 3.07 / 3.28 - says you are wrong about his weaknesses 8-) :twisted:

Not picking a fight here but which part of this highlights package makes you think that he should play any other position than a leading forward? He was regularly kicking multiple goals from all angles, barely touched most the time.

But did he run thru traffic, did he dodge anyone, did he take mark when it wasn't one on one, did he tackle a lot

Sure he can learn what backs do to get better at playing them but to play him in defence seems like a waste
Errrr ... I was disputing a call that his agility and lateral movement is a weakness - I provided no comment on which position he should play so it hasn't made me think anything except only what you assume I think

Also the highlights I pointed out clearly show him dodging opponents with quick evasive spin and lateral movements to get shots away on goal - so not sure which video you were watching as there was also a few tackle highlights as well

FWIW I actually agree that he is better suited to a forward role that said we will never know how good he could be in the midfield or down back if he is never tried there

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Anyone seen which group the other Josh is training with at the moment?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

We have Bruce, Membrey and Paddy not to mention Max at some stage in the second half of the year.

Will he even get a look in?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Devilhead wrote: Tue 22 Jan 2019 8:33pm
Errrr ... I was disputing a call that his agility and lateral movement is a weakness - I provided no comment on which position he should play so it hasn't made me think anything except only what you assume I think

Also the highlights I pointed out clearly show him dodging opponents with quick evasive spin and lateral movements to get shots away on goal - so not sure which video you were watching as there was also a few tackle highlights as well

FWIW I actually agree that he is better suited to a forward role that said we will never know how good he could be in the midfield or down back if he is never tried there
his agility and lateral movement is a weakness which is why he shouldn't play as a HBF or on the wing I didn't assume you made any comment regarding his position??? I asked which position you think he should play if not forward.

The highlight video was the one that was previously attached. He never runs thru traffic with the ball in his hand or side steps people during play. The closest he does is a lone spin and sold a dummy kick from a mark twice at the end of the package. the vast majority are him taking lead marks or being alone when the camera cuts to him marking the ball. He makes a tackle in the first 5 seconds of the clip, strips the ball a little later and that's about it for defence (intercept mark in there as well).

IMO he has the attributes of a leading half forward and could make a damn fine one. Can run all day and can kick goals if the ball gets to him. Just don't get why we should try him in other positions where he doesn't appear to have the attributes for those positions, especially HBF when there are already a plethora of players already capable of playing that position and we just recruited another one (Essendon guy Hind) and Roberton is back from injury?

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

DJ Higgins wrote: Thu 17 Jan 2019 10:46am So take a player renowned for his goal kicking accuracy and play them in defence? That is one of the dumbest things I have heard for a while. Anyone remember our shots at goal last year.
Get the kid up forward
Exactly. That would indeed be classic Saints. Have a look at his forward work in the win over Melbourne last year at the 'G. He was dynamic in his leading patterns and instinctive with his reading of the play to get on the end of the couple. More importantly - he tackles to genuinely hurt. And loves it. Won't have to worry about our woeful forward pressure with him in there.

Personally, I'd be more inclined to play McCartin behind the ball before Battle.

Go you red, black & white warriors
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Wed 23 Jan 2019 12:55pm
DJ Higgins wrote: Thu 17 Jan 2019 10:46am So take a player renowned for his goal kicking accuracy and play them in defence? That is one of the dumbest things I have heard for a while. Anyone remember our shots at goal last year.
Get the kid up forward
Exactly. That would indeed be classic Saints. Have a look at his forward work in the win over Melbourne last year at the 'G. He was dynamic in his leading patterns and instinctive with his reading of the play to get on the end of the couple. More importantly - he tackles to genuinely hurt. And loves it. Won't have to worry about our woeful forward pressure with him in there.

Personally, I'd be more inclined to play McCartin behind the ball before Battle.
I think people forget he is still young and is playing against men so is still learning the ropes but he has shown a bit but this year I am expecting him to go up a gear. Trains hard and has natural ability so another pre-season should result in another step forward, hopefully a big one.

I have been hoping they would play McCartin back as well as have stated it a few times before. He hasn't exactly set the world on fire up front and keeps getting injured from lack of awareness. If he struggles again this season try him in defence for a quarter at Sandringham each week which may improve his game play and let be honest if he keeps getting dropped we need to try something with him. Battle is not in that position and hopefully wont be.

Only 2 months to wait now

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Wed 23 Jan 2019 12:43pm
his agility and lateral movement is a weakness which is why he shouldn't play as a HBF or on the wing

The highlight video was the one that was previously attached. He never runs thru traffic with the ball in his hand or side steps people during play. The closest he does is a lone spin and sold a dummy kick from a mark twice at the end of the package. the vast majority are him taking lead marks or being alone when the camera cuts to him marking the ball. He makes a tackle in the first 5 seconds of the clip, strips the ball a little later and that's about it for defence (intercept mark in there as well).
So you are pigeon holing agility to only those players that can side step at pace? ie: Peter Matera

If you don't mind me quoting Mr Wiki agility is defined as -

Agility or nimbleness is the ability to change the body's position efficiently, and requires the integration of isolated movement skills using a combination of balance, coordination, speed, reflexes, strength, and endurance. Agility is the ability to change the direction of the body in an efficient and effective manner and to achieve this requires a combination of

Balance – the ability to maintain equilibrium when stationary or moving (i.e. not to fall over) through the coordinated actions of our sensory functions (eyes, ears and the proprioceptive organs in our joints);

Static Balance – the ability to retain the centre of mass above the base of support in a stationary position;
dynamic balance – the ability to maintain balance with body movement;

Speed - the ability to move all or part of the body quickly;

Strength - the ability of a muscle or muscle group to overcome a resistance; and lastly,

Coordination – the ability to control the movement of the body in co-operation with the body's sensory functions (e.g., in catching a ball [ball, hand, and eye coordination]).

There is also mental agility - the means to be able to think and understand a situation quickly

In the video Battle clearly shows a relatively high level of physical and mental agility with the quick tight spin and the dummy kicks coupled with a quick sidestep and explosiveness from a static position to get around the player on the mark - they are absolute prime examples of agility - he also gets the kick off quickly and accurately

So to say that his agility/lateral movement is a weakness doesn't quite compute unless of course your definition is a narrow version where pure speed is the major defining factor

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Wed 23 Jan 2019 1:06pm
Saintmatt wrote: Wed 23 Jan 2019 12:55pm
Get the kid up forward

I think people forget he is still young and is playing against men so is still learning the ropes but he has shown a bit but this year I am expecting him to go up a gear. Trains hard and has natural ability so another pre-season should result in another step forward, hopefully a big one.

I have been hoping they would play McCartin back as well as have stated it a few times before. He hasn't exactly set the world on fire up front and keeps getting injured from lack of awareness. If he struggles again this season try him in defence for a quarter at Sandringham each week which may improve his game play and let be honest if he keeps getting dropped we need to try something with him. Battle is not in that position and hopefully wont be.

So you would like to see McCartin down back but not Battle even though McCartin is even less suited to a back line role? :shock:

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Devilhead wrote: Wed 23 Jan 2019 9:02pm
DJ Higgins wrote: Wed 23 Jan 2019 1:06pm

So you would like to see McCartin down back but not Battle even though McCartin is even less suited to a back line role? :shock:
I think you missed the point again. If Paddy is playing poorly again and gets dropped due to lack of form or he keeps putting himself in harms way due to lack of awareness or even not getting involved int eh play enough then it might help to play him up back to give him a different perspective of the game so he can see where he is going wrong. It would be at Sandy, not at St Kilda, it wouldn't be for the whole game it would be for a shortish periods. What is the worse that could happen if he played back for a few quarters at Sandy barring injury which to be fair could happen anywhere.

Josh Battle is not struggling for form like that, he is simply inexperienced and still a kid but another pre-season will/should help him like all 4 year or less players. Not saying he will have a break out year as that won't happen until he gets better delivery into the 50 but he should get better this year and might start challenging for a permanent spot on the team
Last edited by DJ Higgins on Thu 24 Jan 2019 8:29am, edited 1 time in total.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Wed 23 Jan 2019 11:03pm

I think you missed the point again. If Paddy is playing poorly again and gets dropped due to lack of form or he keeps putting himself in harms way due to lack of awareness or even not getting involved int eh play enough then it might help to play him up back to give him a different perspective of the game so he can see where he is going wrong. It would be at Sandy, not at St Kilda, it wouldn't be for the whole game it would be for a shortish periods. What is the worse that could happen if he played back for a few quarters at Sandy barring injury which to be fair could happen anywhere.

Josh Battle is struggling for form like that, he is simply inexperienced and still a kid but another pre-season will/should help him like all 4 year or less players. Not saying he will have a break out year as that won't happen until he gets better delivery into the 50 but he should get better this year and might start challenging for a permanent spot on the team
Maybe if Paddy got better delivery into the forward 50 he might get better as well

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Last post on this topic as it is going around in circles a bit.
Imo Josh battle would benefit more playing as a forward than a back. He has the attributes of being a good to great forward that can break from his defender and kick goals with a good conversion rate. He isn't as well suited to play in positions where he has to avoid dodge players as he will get caught with the ball a lot. Look at his highlights from last year not as a junior. He is finding his feet bit shows real glimpses of what to come.

As for Paddy if he struggles yet again due to poor marking, missed shots, not getting the ball himself, no second efforts etc then something has to change. Many times last year the ball went straight thru his hands and hits his chest with the commentators saying over and over again you really should be marking those ones . I go to each home game and do not like what I see from Paddy, not saying he can't change but his skills just werent that good last year or the year before. Combined with his lack of second efforts and long breaks on the bench I think he has been a liability so far.SO FAR. Last chance for him this year to show a big improvement

shmic_s
Club Player

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

I think most people would agree that we're over-stocked for half backs.

I think that most people would agree that we're lacking for forward pressure.

I think that most people would agree that lacking for power forwards.

I think that most people would agree that we're lacking for power forwards (hell, any forwards) who can kick straight.

Josh Battle to the backline? Seriously? :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Dave McNamara wrote: Sat 02 Feb 2019 8:58am I think most people would agree that we're over-stocked for half backs.

I think that most people would agree that we're lacking for forward pressure.

I think that most people would agree that lacking for power forwards.

I think that most people would agree that we're lacking for power forwards (hell, any forwards) who can kick straight.

Josh Battle to the backline? Seriously? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Preaching to the choir mate preaching to the chour

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Tue 22 Jan 2019 8:45pm Anyone seen which group the other Josh is training with at the moment?
It was always going to be one of the Josh boys, Battle to the backline it would seem.

I like this. I think the forward structure of Paddy, Bruce and Members is close to cracking the code and the trio just needs to stay on the field as a unit for longer periods to get cohesion. King is going to go in there at some stage but I'm guessing members is the chess move if an extra tall goes in.

Stability and settling the side down 2019...no injuries please.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Thu 17 Jan 2019 8:46am Word is that the coaches want him to play back. He has been seen training alot with the defensive group and coach over pre-season. Not a bad move. We have a plethora of key forwards, especially once the King returns.
Do you think he will make an immediate impact down back, gee our backline looks structurally strong with Josh, Jake and Robbo as the interceptors and play makers. The 666 rule is expected to have the ball coming in quick this year so could be a good weapon.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Looking at how Battle moves, and the skills he has- no backline please!

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

He has the makings of a decent vfl career. I wish him well. He can develop into an able chf forward feeding paddy.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Tall & medium tall marking forwards: King, Marshall, Bruce, McCartin, Battle & Membrey.

Probably only 3 can play in one team, maybe 4 if Marshall plays as ruck forward.

Membrey is the only lock IMO.

Round 1 assuming all fit I’d say Bruce, McCartin, Marshall & Membrey. I’d rather see Battle than McCartin but doubt that will happen.

Tall medium tall backs: Brown, Carslile, Austin, Clavirino, Wilke, Roberton, Battle.

Richo locks Carlisle, Brown & Roberton.
Where does Battle fit in? What role does he play?

Not many spots when you add Webster & Geary as locks.

Would love Battle to play over Brown but that will not happen.

Looks like a player without a home at the moment.

We are full of backs and forwards with major weaknesses in the midfield.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Cairnsman wrote: Sun 03 Feb 2019 1:38pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Thu 17 Jan 2019 8:46am Word is that the coaches want him to play back. He has been seen training alot with the defensive group and coach over pre-season. Not a bad move. We have a plethora of key forwards, especially once the King returns.
Do you think he will make an immediate impact down back, gee our backline looks structurally strong with Josh, Jake and Robbo as the interceptors and play makers. The 666 rule is expected to have the ball coming in quick this year so could be a good weapon.
Not sure yet. We'll see how Battle goes I guess but it could be a masterstroke sending him down back. J McGovern type maybe...

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sun 03 Feb 2019 8:00pm
Not sure yet. We'll see how Battle goes I guess but it could be a masterstroke sending him down back. J McGovern type maybe...
Gee I hope he doesn't make Alan look like a genius. It could put our round 6 plan in jeopardy.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Cairnsman wrote: Sun 03 Feb 2019 8:13pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sun 03 Feb 2019 8:00pm
Gee I hope he doesn't make Alan look like a genius. It could put our round 6 plan in jeopardy.
Lol. Yep, Alan is mincemeat by Rd 6. Didn't you know? 🙄🙄🙄

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The words Cho and genius contradict each other. Standard oxymoron

Alan is hanging on to his position due to an an admin f up

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 03 Feb 2019 8:23pm The words Cho and genius contradict each other. Standard oxymoron

Alan is hanging on to his position due to an an admin f up
I hear this a lot on hear by certain posters so let's explore this a little deeper, have you got any proof of this? maybe some links to media reports or media releases from club officials.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Most coaches in professional sport (in Australia and overseas) are sacked if they have a poor win loss ratio after at least five years in the job. He is very lucky to still be coaching after round six LAST year. Some powerful voices in the media like Robbo and Brian Taylor and others are conflicted and compromised and didn't go hard enough like they would have if he wasn't a colleague or a mate. Forget the spin from the club and the sycophants on here, the fact is that the evidence is overwelming and the decision to delay a transition to a new regime may negatively impact some of our youth and may handicap any chance of us climbing the ladder in the next few years