Newnes - Free Agency Target

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Re: Newnes - Free Agency Target

saynta wrote: Sun 16 Dec 2018 12:40pm :roll: Newnes is not going anywhere ffs. :roll:
Ahhh saynta you.can a!ways count on him for a laugh pointing out the blindingly obvious
Not going anywhere...
The saints have a flat bed truck with quite a few "passengers"

Seeya
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

I don't get all the negativity ....

Newnes hasn't done too badly for a pick 43, or whatever he was - and which superstar is he keeping out of the side?
He's not being gifted games.

This year he's played a fair share of his games on the half forward flank, aka "starvation corner" and still managed to do okay ... got close to 20 possessions a game and kicked almost a goal a game.

If he was a stock he'd be considered an "outperform" based on what he's delivered relative to his draft position, over the years.
I wish we had similar success with all our other draft picks.

Choppa
Club Player

Agree with that Samoht

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Has his pluses but like Lonie needs to tackle more. Pressure for small forwards now withe young and Parker on board. One is playing for his family now so big motivation

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Has his pluses but like Lonie needs to tackle more. Pressure for small forwards now withe young and Parker on board. One is playing for his family now so big motivation

samoht
Saintsational Legend

Who are the perfect players in our team, with only pluses and no minuses?
I can't think of any.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

samoht wrote: Mon 17 Dec 2018 4:17pm I don't get all the negativity ....

Newnes hasn't done too badly for a pick 43, or whatever he was - and which superstar is he keeping out of the side?
He's not being gifted games.

This year he's played a fair share of his games on the half forward flank, aka "starvation corner" and still managed to do okay ... got close to 20 possessions a game and kicked almost a goal a game.

If he was a stock he'd be considered an "outperform" based on what he's delivered relative to his draft position, over the years.
I wish we had similar success with all our other draft picks.
Mmmmm. Yes - he's better than a pick 43 however, 1 tackle after 6 games in 2018 shows that he's most definitely gifted games. No one puts up those shite numbers from a running/mad/back/forward. Still - he's endemic of our list and acceptance of mediocrity. We had 10 years to draft, recruit or develop a better version of Sam Gilbert and it took until 2018. Same with Newnes - I'd love to see him be made to chase, tackle and hit a target for 8 weeks at Sandy and then see if his out improves. He's not a bad player - just a product of his shite environment.

Go you red, black & white warriors
samoht
Saintsational Legend

That 6 game/1 tackle patch was not good enough, I agree, saintmatt, and he was lucky not to be dropped - maybe saved by all the injuries this year and he probably had some credits in the bank.
But he's been our perennial whipping boy, year after year. Unfairly so, I reckon.

He's durable, versatile, our longest kick, goes in hard (as evidenced by that heavy knock last year).... there's a fair few positives, before we get to the negatives.

realdeal
Club Player

samoht wrote: Mon 17 Dec 2018 5:41pm That 6 game/1 tackle patch was not good enough, I agree, saintmatt, and he was lucky not to be dropped - maybe saved by all the injuries this year and he probably had some credits in the bank.
But he's been our perennial whipping boy, year after year. Unfairly so, I reckon.

He's durable, versatile, our longest kick, goes in hard (as evidenced by that heavy knock last year).... there's a fair few positives, before we get to the negatives.
I reckon Newnes only became our whipping boy (deservedly so) this season.. apart from that he's had a blessed run. He was talked about as future captain and solid B to A grade player. 2018 he performed like captain of a no tackle under 10s footy team..

Ask gilbo how it feels to be a real whipping boy..

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

samoht wrote: Mon 17 Dec 2018 5:41pm That 6 game/1 tackle patch was not good enough, I agree, saintmatt, and he was lucky not to be dropped - maybe saved by all the injuries this year and he probably had some credits in the bank.

One heavy knock.
That's cherry-picking.
And it may be why he's no longer tackling, he might be
taking short steps- this is no way blaming him,
as footy career is only 10-15 years, but personal health issues can be eternal.

Does he look at Paddy, Koby and wonder if he could end up like that? Even in the back of his mind.
And his family could be worried too, and who could blame them?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee