Newnes - Free Agency Target

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

66Iwasthere
Club Player

Newnes - Free Agency Target

According to AFL website Newnes will be one of two FA key targets (with Sam Day). Given the mediocre year he had this year should we be worried?

Choppa
Club Player

Re: Newnes - Free Agency Target

Yes

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

No

Nee!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Lets see how he goes under the new coaches before throwing him under the bus.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Agree that he gets a new year under the new coaching regime. I am not sure who is up for contract renewal this year but a few need to step up and show some form of improvement

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

He can bounce back. He's done enough over his career to get a chance and be trusted. You don't throw good club people into a raging river after just one average season.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Jimmy O'Dea
Club Player

Will struggle to be in the system if he doesn't start putting his body on the line and start defending. No doubt the coaches will be putting this on him. The fact this this is a big year for him is an understatement.

saintadamski
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Fri 14 Dec 2018 11:32am He can bounce back. He's done enough over his career to get a chance and be trusted. You don't throw good club people into a raging river after just one average season.
Absolutely delusional per usual - ahh good ol Ted and the 'everything is fine the way it is' garbage

Most of Newne's career stats are below average or average - he also doesn't read the play well, and is soft as they come

I would LOVE to see him go, and make way for a young player of actual quality

saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintadamski wrote: Fri 14 Dec 2018 12:31pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Fri 14 Dec 2018 11:32am He can bounce back. He's done enough over his career to get a chance and be trusted. You don't throw good club people into a raging river after just one average season.
Absolutely delusional per usual - ahh good ol Ted and the 'everything is fine the way it is' garbage

Most of Newne's career stats are below average or average - he also doesn't read the play well, and is soft as they come

More than a bit harsh.

Overall his states are satisfactory

From afl.com

"Newnes established himself as one of the Saints' most exciting midfield prospects in 2016, finishing fifth in the club's best and fairest award and following it up with an eighth-place finish in 2017.

The wingman played all 22 games this year but failed to hit the same heights.
Jack Newnes
Disposals
Average
Disposal Efficiency
Above Avg
Inside 50s
Average

St Kilda's own on-field woes in 2018 didn't help him – its pre-season finals hopes crumbled into a dismal four-win season that saw it finish above just the Suns and Blues – and some opposition clubs could believe a change of environment is all Newnes needs to get back to his best.

If he can do that, his elite endurance, strong work ethic and durability – he is on an unbroken run of 110 consecutive games – will make him a sought-after commodity.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Agreed Saynta. Newnes is a very durable footballer that averaged over 20 touches in his previous years. Good club man also. He is not an onballer either.

If he gets replaced by a better player then so be it, but you don't throw blokes like that in a river after 1 average season. He will provide good list depth in any case.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
barneyboyz
Club Player

Maybe... maybe not. If he gets targeted, it won't be because he's crap. Every player should be on notice this season

BTW I don't think Ted's comments are delusional at all. They aren't consistent with your views, but he's certainly not delusional in his comments

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
sainter45
Club Player

I would fight to keep him. He played a completely different role in 2018 which saw him spend a lot more time forward and he kicked 18 goals. Given how hard we found it to score last year 18 goals was a big effort.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

barneyboyz wrote: Fri 14 Dec 2018 1:02pm

Maybe... maybe not. If he gets targeted, it won't be because he's crap. Every player should be on notice this season

BTW I don't think Ted's comments are delusional at all. They aren't consistent with your views, but he's certainly not delusional in his comments
Thank you. Good summary.

Total = 1.
saintadamski
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Fri 14 Dec 2018 1:20pm

Thank you. Good summary.
Disagree

I've read many of ol Ted's comments, and they vary from everything is fine, to everything is amazing.

Is never critical of anything the Saints do, and believes that being critical equates to being a disloyal supporter - kind of like a North Korean or Stalinesque totalitarian regime.

The pathway to positive change is to understand the failings of a situation, and thus rectify them. It is also to understand existing strengths too...and capitalise on them.

Ol Ted won't ever admit to the failings of the club - he is actually the definition of delusion:

"an idiosyncratic belief or impression maintained despite being contradicted by reality or rational argument"

On a complimentary note....he is SUPER positive in everything the Saints do! lol

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Like others, start reading my posts better. That is all I can say.

There is alot that still needs rectifying at Moorabbin but its got alot better already this off season. Season 2019 is a big year. I for one are positive that things are turning around in the right direction.

Total = 1.
takeaway
Club Player

saintadamski wrote: Fri 14 Dec 2018 1:43pm

Thank you. Good summary.
Disagree

I've read many of ol Ted's comments, and they vary from everything is fine, to everything is amazing.

Is never critical of anything the Saints do, and believes that being critical equates to being a disloyal supporter - kind of like a North Korean or Stalinesque totalitarian regime.

The pathway to positive change is to understand the failings of a situation, and thus rectify them. It is also to understand existing strengths too...and capitalise on them.

Ol Ted won't ever admit to the failings of the club - he is actually the definition of delusion:

"an idiosyncratic belief or impression maintained despite being contradicted by reality or rational argument"

On a complimentary note....he is SUPER positive in everything the Saints do! lol

Indeed. A definition that may be applied quite easily to your good self, Mr Damski.

realdeal
Club Player

Pre 2018: Newnes was a solid, consistent player. A good clubman.

Unfortunately, 2018 was a mess for him, he was bloody awful. Not his call but he should've been dropped at the start of his bad run and worked his way back. Instead he was gifted (along with Weller) games all year despite not influencing games, not tackling and not showing the desperation needed from one of our 'leaders'.

In saying that, its now a new season. Newnes should be a really solid bottom 6 player in a decent team, not a terrible bottom 6 player in a lower 4 team.

If he can get back to his pre 2018 form then we have something to work with..

realdeal
Club Player

Pre 2018: Newnes was a solid, consistent player. A good clubman.

Unfortunately, 2018 was a mess for him, he was bloody awful. Not his call but he should've been dropped at the start of his bad run and worked his way back. Instead he was gifted (along with Weller) games all year despite not influencing games, not tackling and not showing the desperation needed from one of our 'leaders'.

In saying that, its now a new season. Newnes should be a really solid bottom 6 player in a decent team, not a terrible bottom 6 player in a lower 4 team.

If he can get back to his pre 2018 form then we have something to work with..

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

He could also be our next captain

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Fri 14 Dec 2018 3:07pm He could also be our next captain
He could also be our next Norm Smith medalist or he could be an All Australian...or he could not 😉

saintadamski
Club Player

takeaway wrote: Fri 14 Dec 2018 2:38pm

Thank you. Good summary.
Disagree

Indeed. A definition that may be applied quite easily to your good self, Mr Damski.
Right - so Newnes being incredibly poor in pretty much every round of football in 2018 (plus many (not all) games in previous years) is a figment of my imagination? A series of nightmares, patched together by the glue of delusion in my own head?

Ok , now that I have been awakened, basking in the light of your sanity, can you please explain what reality is to me again....I seem to have lost my way.

Oh glorious Kim Jong...YOUR WORD IS DIVINITY ITSELF!! EVERYONE TAKE NOTES!! HE SPEAKS!!!

Naaaaahhhh - how about we just get a better player haha

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

My sense of Newnes pre-2017 was that I didn’t really get the hype. Will be elite, next captain etc. Yeah he had good games but I never really saw anything to suggest he had the tools to be consistently elite.

2017, I got it. His prep was great, work rate great... skills could be good... he had that type of ‘know what the right thing to do’ quality about him that usually ensures that provided he puts in the effort, more often then not he’ll do more good things then not.

But like realdeal said... his 2018 was a disaster. Skills down, work rate down, effectiveness down, not able to stick tackles... go to the finale vs North there were 2-3 instances where he actually looked resigned to the fact that he was terrible and couldn’t do anything right... like he didn’t want to try for fear of failing.

It was the most unlike Newnes presentation I’ve ever seen.

What on earth went wrong for him?
Was he not putting in on the track?
Did he not understand what he was supposed to do?
Does he think his team mates hate him?

Something went on in his head and I have no idea what.

takeaway
Club Player

saintadamski wrote: Fri 14 Dec 2018 4:46pm
takeaway wrote: Fri 14 Dec 2018 2:38pm

Thank you. Good summary.
Disagree

Right - so Newnes being incredibly poor in pretty much every round of football in 2018 (plus many (not all) games in previous years) is a figment of my imagination? A series of nightmares, patched together by the glue of delusion in my own head?

Ok , now that I have been awakened, basking in the light of your sanity, can you please explain what reality is to me again....I seem to have lost my way.

Oh glorious Kim Jong...YOUR WORD IS DIVINITY ITSELF!! EVERYONE TAKE NOTES!! HE SPEAKS!!!

Naaaaahhhh - how about we just get a better player haha
체리는 다시 따기

I was responding to your view that Ted’s general posting was delusional, and it just struck me that your posting quite often fits that definition as well - plenty of statements that are contradicted by reality and rationality.

As for Newnes, his 2018 was down, as well as a lot of other players, but in general for his career his stats, for what they are worth, are quite comparable with other similar players. You should really check that before making comments.

I think Newnes can get back to his best, which is easily best 22.

자신이 조언을 고려

saintadamski
Club Player

Yeh you're right eat in or takeaway - Newnes is awesome, and fortunately for us , the future of the Saints...I'm already placing bets on his Norm Smith medal.

Oh and as for stats - http://www.afl.com.au/stats/stats-pro#/ ... ewnes-Jack

riveting reading ...I love all of the 'below average' and 'average' grades

Another one of my contradictions to reality I'm sure...but if I squint hard enough, the words start blurring into 'elite'....but like I have to squint HARD and for ages! The weird thing is, after I did that, I had this real hankering for some takeaway....nah, I'll have it delivered

Premium89
Club Player

So much bluster in here! Must be off season.

Was a Massive fan of newnes 2016-2017.

Really hope he can turn things around this coming season. If his form continues its 2018 tracking he certainly won’t be a FA candidate.