Draft Night Video - Intense!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Draft Night Video - Intense!

Devilhead wrote: Mon 10 Dec 2018 10:22pm OK if the juveniles have had enough we might be able to talk about the subject of the DN video.

I must say watching that was rather cringe inducing as it all looked downright amateurish

No one looked like they were taking control or had a plan - surely they would have been well versed having discussed all scenarios re: all picks and players, going in yet here they were discussing " What should we do?" "Is it worth picking this guy at this pick?

Even when picking King - someone said "Right are we going to do it? and they all looked around at each other before some one made a joke and then the comment " Stop it your not helping" and then finally (I think) Lethlean? says "Yeah Do It!

WTF?!?!?!?!

Maybe it was the editing but their approach seemed hardly incisive or focused and just came across as an utter mess

More Inner Shictum than Inner Sanctum - complete shambles IMHO! :evil:
I think you’re exaggerating and being a bit harsh. How do you expect 7 blokes to act?! Planning would have been done weeks before draft night but our options were pretty limited. They always knew they were going to take King hence just waiting around to call him out. I thought the deal offered to Port was sound. Pity they didn’t bite.

Interesting to see Trout there. He would still have a fair bit of knowledge.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Sounded more or like a bunch of blokes sitting around at the pub talking shyte.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Funny about that.

It ain’t rocket science

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
takeaway
Club Player

Both Carlton and Saints videos were good. Gave insight into what goes on - good on the clubs, we haven't had those type of insights before.

Of course the Carlton video was more focussed - they were looking at just the one deal. Saints were on the clock with pick 4, had options with Adelaide & Port, good to see they were trying to get some players we wanted in, offered only what we reasonably could. Impressed with Libba & Gallagher.
All clubs including Saints obviously had a strategy and players we wanted, (ie later mature picks), but a bit hard to stick rigidly to the plan when you don't know which players will be still available and where, up to 17 other clubs trying to swap picks, etc, very fluid situation. Saw nothing wrong with the discussions.

I reckon if we won the grand final by 60+ points there would still be plenty of whingers on here.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

... but a bit hard to stick rigidly to the plan when you don't know which players will be still available and where, up to 17 other clubs trying to swap picks, etc, very fluid situation. Saw nothing wrong with the discussions.

yep

thats where i am with it all

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

takeaway wrote: Tue 11 Dec 2018 8:30am Both Carlton and Saints videos were good. Gave insight into what goes on - good on the clubs, we haven't had those type of insights before.

Of course the Carlton video was more focussed - they were looking at just the one deal. Saints were on the clock with pick 4, had options with Adelaide & Port, good to see they were trying to get some players we wanted in, offered only what we reasonably could. Impressed with Libba & Gallagher.
All clubs including Saints obviously had a strategy and players we wanted, (ie later mature picks), but a bit hard to stick rigidly to the plan when you don't know which players will be still available and where, up to 17 other clubs trying to swap picks, etc, very fluid situation. Saw nothing wrong with the discussions.

I reckon if we won the grand final by 60+ points there would still be plenty of whingers on here.
Some analysis and sense for a change. Welcome relief TA.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Similar reaction to fugazi. Although I thought Gallagher and the chap on his left looked professional enough. CEO just observing and Lethlean looked calm and composed. I wondered what Max King might make of it and whether a few of them are particularly uncomfortable being on camera. A couple seemed to be just making up the numbers, either out of courtesy or PD, I thought. If a person unfamiliar with AR was asked to pick who was the head coach from the group I suspect AR would not have been in the first four picks. I watched after listening to AR's SEN interview with Gerard W that is on the club website and was conscious that AR said he had received a lot of feedback about his coaching in the 2018 season and had taken on board that he knee jerked under pressure and was inconsistent in his messaging. I am sure that biased my reading of the group dynamics but I didn't see him commanding much respect.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

The statement "Well that just got us 10000 more members" actually makes me angry.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
takeaway
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 11 Dec 2018 12:32pm Similar reaction to fugazi. Although I thought Gallagher and the chap on his left looked professional enough. CEO just observing and Lethlean looked calm and composed. I wondered what Max King might make of it and whether a few of them are particularly uncomfortable being on camera. A couple seemed to be just making up the numbers, either out of courtesy or PD, I thought. If a person unfamiliar with AR was asked to pick who was the head coach from the group I suspect AR would not have been in the first four picks. I watched after listening to AR's SEN interview with Gerard W that is on the club website and was conscious that AR said he had received a lot of feedback about his coaching in the 2018 season and had taken on board that he knee jerked under pressure and was inconsistent in his messaging. I am sure that biased my reading of the group dynamics but I didn't see him commanding much respect.
Exactly the same as the Carlton video - Bolton virtually no input, 2 or 3 passive observers, and the list manager being the main man, along with the recruiting manager. Would be a similar scenario at most clubs, no difference at Saints.

diddley
Club Player

takeaway wrote: Tue 11 Dec 2018 1:27pm
Yorkeys wrote: Tue 11 Dec 2018 12:32pm Similar reaction to fugazi. Although I thought Gallagher and the chap on his left looked professional enough. CEO just observing and Lethlean looked calm and composed. I wondered what Max King might make of it and whether a few of them are particularly uncomfortable being on camera. A couple seemed to be just making up the numbers, either out of courtesy or PD, I thought. If a person unfamiliar with AR was asked to pick who was the head coach from the group I suspect AR would not have been in the first four picks. I watched after listening to AR's SEN interview with Gerard W that is on the club website and was conscious that AR said he had received a lot of feedback about his coaching in the 2018 season and had taken on board that he knee jerked under pressure and was inconsistent in his messaging. I am sure that biased my reading of the group dynamics but I didn't see him commanding much respect.
Exactly the same as the Carlton video - Bolton virtually no input, 2 or 3 passive observers, and the list manager being the main man, along with the recruiting manager. Would be a similar scenario at most clubs, no difference at Saints.
Let the cobblers cobble
Richo doesn’t need to do anything in that room. That’s not why he is there.

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

I was invited to a meeting last night hosted by James Gallagher and all the new recruits. James indicated that they tried to trade up into the early 30s in the draft when no-one had taken Jack Bytell by pick 30. They were very keen to get him but couldn't get a deal done. As it turns out we were able to get him at pick 41 anyway.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
Gershwin
Club Player

fugazi wrote: Tue 11 Dec 2018 7:06am I watched the video,
Very amateurish and showed a poor culture.
These guys have had months to figure out their strategy.
They looked confused and uncertain, at one point a really basic point being explained about pick 11.
Check the body language early on...everyone with arms crossed, very defensive, not sure who should speak or voice an opinion.
Cho just didn't really know..."just try your hardest get him boys" ...sounds like a coach under pressure (not too worried about preserving next years first rounder for obvious reasons)
The Carlton video was much better, showing a relatively calm focused well led group. If a bit sychophantic.
And who was the massive fat bloke with a beard who did nothing?
Big bloke with a beard is Chris Toce - State Recruiting Manager - SA & WA. Would have had a big input into the recruiting of Parker, Young and Wilkie.

summertime and the living is easy ........
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Still a great insight vid, whichever way you lean. Bytel was still a massive steal at 41. Massive.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

I think it’s really interesting to see how they operate in ‘real time’ in the draft. They seemed to know what they wanted to me. Like herding cats with all the other clubs playing the game at the same time. Agree about the 10000 members comment. Totally off the beam. Apart from that, thought it was a solid performance, given the variables at play with other clubs.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

I assume they knew they would be videoed and have it made public later.

I wonder if that impacted on their "performance" or they just forgot and got on with it.

axcellence
Club Player

Impressed with Libratore

The rest, I couldn’t work out.

He was quite vocal and driving the conversation, which is needed in these situation rather than fence sitting.

Overall, wasn’t great, but not the best either. They could have put out an offer more across the board (ie the AFL), which would facilitate the trading, eg Slack rather than having to rely on dodgy phone reception.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

axcellence wrote: Tue 11 Dec 2018 7:19pm Impressed with Libratore

The rest, I couldn’t work out.

He was quite vocal and driving the conversation, which is needed in these situation rather than fence sitting.

Overall, wasn’t great, but not the best either. They could have put out an offer more across the board (ie the AFL), which would facilitate the trading, eg Slack rather than having to rely on dodgy phone reception.
I see what you’re saying and I also reckon it’s fair to cut them some slack. First time live trading during the draft.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I flinched at first glimpse. Tiny room, all the too-right Saints t-shirts and arm-crossing-Richo-bonding-body language. I know it’s harmless but I expected...eh..something, bigger, a war room like Dr. Strangelove’ with a giant screen and a maniac wielding some contraption. I just get nervous if I even suspect the Saints are being nice-guys-for-TV or in anyway acting. Seems like we are at present already not favourably looked upon and even though I’m proud of our picks all things being what they are, I don’t wanna see us looking all hokey in a tiny room. But that is aesthetics and it will be quickly forgotten. Now for the real work!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 11 Dec 2018 7:59pm I flinched at first glimpse. Tiny room, all the too-right Saints t-shirts and arm-crossing-Richo-bonding-body language. I know it’s harmless but I expected...eh..something, bigger, a war room like Dr. Strangelove’ with a giant screen and a maniac wielding some contraption. I just get nervous if I even suspect the Saints are being nice-guys-for-TV or in anyway acting. Seems like we are at present already not favourably looked upon and even though I’m proud of our picks all things being what they are, I don’t wanna see us looking all hokey in a tiny room. But that is aesthetics and it will be quickly forgotten. Now for the real work!
I thought they were self conscious at the start - typical footy blokes all crossed arms and projecting their idea of “being a Saints bloke” for the cameras, it really is a cliche all that crusty bloke posturing, but then they became less self conscious as the business unfolded. Thought Gubby Allan asked some pertinent questions to which there weren’t satisfactory answers on at least one occasion.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Tue 11 Dec 2018 9:22pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 11 Dec 2018 7:59pm I flinched at first glimpse. Tiny room, all the too-right Saints t-shirts and arm-crossing-Richo-bonding-body language. I know it’s harmless but I expected...eh..something, bigger, a war room like Dr. Strangelove’ with a giant screen and a maniac wielding some contraption. I just get nervous if I even suspect the Saints are being nice-guys-for-TV or in anyway acting. Seems like we are at present already not favourably looked upon and even though I’m proud of our picks all things being what they are, I don’t wanna see us looking all hokey in a tiny room. But that is aesthetics and it will be quickly forgotten. Now for the real work!
I thought they were self conscious at the start - typical footy blokes all crossed arms and projecting their idea of “being a Saints bloke” for the cameras, it really is a cliche all that crusty bloke posturing, but then they became less self conscious as the business unfolded. Thought Gubby Allan asked some pertinent questions to which there weren’t satisfactory answers on at least one occasion.
Got that feeling as well, was it Liberatore or Gallagher claiming we offered the same deal but was then caught out in a lie when pressed that we had also offered pick #37. Whoever pressed there was very good.

I did get a sense though of why we are without a 2nd and 3rd rounder for next year, Gallagher seemed to offer too much without testing the water. Did anyone else feel that?

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

HitTheBoundary wrote: Tue 11 Dec 2018 7:17pm I assume they knew they would be videoed and have it made public later.

I wonder if that impacted on their "performance" or they just forgot and got on with it.
I assume that the club was getting paid for the "intrusion" by pay tv
in exactly the same as it would be for Richo vs Scott on 360

Seeya
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

'Intense'? Interesting choice of term there Edward.

To me, they seemed to be making it up as they went.

Surely you'd have everyone ranked in order of desirability. And surely you'd have 'priced' what you were prepared to pay for them if they were still around??? Plug and play stuff.

No intensity should be involved IMHO.

As an example:
Caldwell for our next year's first rounder (and some other pick swaps to n' fro).
Cut to the chase.
If, worst case scenario, we have another crap year and Koch head's kochheads somehow win the flag... is Caldwell worth handing over the equivalent of a 'top five' pick for???
If yes, then give it whirl. If no, then what the hell are they doing???

In other words, what pick they reckon Caldwell is worth should have been already determined. Plug and play stuff. Not, intensity.

(Clearly, not a 'top 4' pick, btw. :wink: )

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Some comedy gold though from that video. As our pick loomed, the commentary on the telly in their room described the RiCho as "a choach under pressure".

The room fell awkwardly silent. No one knew what to say, or where to look. :oops:

fugazi wrote: Tue 11 Dec 2018 7:06am... And who was the massive fat bloke with a beard who did nothing?
Zone defence. And he did it well.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

yeah, not impressed at all. surely they had all discussed this beforehand and planned for the likeliest contingencies, rather than have to explain it to each other over and over. and failed in the end to do anything anyway.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Seemed like most of the guys in the room had done less research on the draft than most posters here. That video does not inspire confidence at all. They seemed flustered, without a coherent plan and it was incredible how little some of the guys knew about the players. Trade offers were clearly being made up on the spot which helps explain how we got bent over in late pick swaps; lots of on-the-run decisions being made rather than having a clear draft plan with contingencies. Most people in a supercoach draft league are more composed than those blokes.

I'd love to see a video of Sydney's draft table and compare it to ours.