St Kilda has pinned its faith on four mature-aged recruits leading into 2019

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

theoracle
Club Player

Subscriber only article in today's HS. This might be a great 'Moneyball' draft for us - these guys are desperate for their go.

GLENN McFARLANE, Herald Sun

St Kilda has pinned its faith on four mature-aged recruits who have downed their tools and embarked on new careers, confident they can play a role in reviving the club’s fortunes next year.

While most of the Saints’ draft attention has centred on teenagers Max King (pick four) and his good mate Jack Bytel (pick 41), the club’s list strategy was also to target ready-made players out of the state leagues capable of making an immediate impact.

Three were taken in the national draft — South Fremantle’s Matthew Parker (pick 47), Essendon VFL’s Nick Hind (54) and North Adelaide’s Robbie Young (67) — while the Saints also added another North Adelaide player Callum Wilkie with pick three in the rookie draft.

“He rings me up and tells me to keep striving for greatness,” Parker said. “He has paved the way for me.

“I was sitting at home one day (a few years ago) and thought to myself, ‘Where am I going to be in 10 years’? I wanted to make a name for myself and wanted other people to look up to me.”

His partner and baby son proved part of the inspiration to throw everything into his football, and the reward has come with his drafting, though he wants more: “Now I’m here, I know I have to work extra hard.”

Hind, a plumber, had his last day on site the day before he was taken by the Saints. He has had to hand back his company car, but was happy to do so.

“It’s crazy that something like this can happen so quickly,” Hind, 24, said. “Obviously, learning the game plan can be different at clubs, but I give myself a chance in the preseason.

“I will keep working on my fitness and my strength. I definitely won’t take it for granted … I think I can make an impact early season.”

Young, 23, was at a cricket carnival in his role as an indigenous worker at Playford International College in Adelaide when he learnt his childhood dream of being drafted had been realised. His students celebrated with him.

“I always kept my eyes on the prize,” Young said. “It shows that no matter how old you are, you can always achieve your dreams.

“I feel like anything’s possible (with hard work) … my goal now is aiming for Round 1. It is all down to me now.”

Defender Wilkie, 22, was working on tax returns in his role as an accountant when his name was called out in the rookie draft last Friday week. The next day he was cleaning out his desk and preparing for a move to Melbourne.

“Most of us here have played senior footy, and some of us for a long time,” he said. “Obviously, there is a big step between that and the AFL, but we have that senior experience, and hopefully it might not take us as long (to adapt).”

The Oracle sees all, hears all, knows all.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Re: St Kilda has pinned its faith on four mature-aged recruits leading into 2019

If you watch the videos on the saints website, they will give you more insight that this article....

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Re: St Kilda has pinned its faith on four mature-aged recruits leading into 2019

I think it's a stretch to say that the Saints have pinned their hopes on these guys.

It's purely about re-calibrating the age/maturity profile of the list.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

rodgerfox wrote: Sun 02 Dec 2018 10:09am I think it's a stretch to say that the Saints have pinned their hopes on these guys.

A reporter has to grab the attention in the first paragraph, by exaggerating, etc.

That's all this is, just spin. To get folks to click

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
takeaway
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Sun 02 Dec 2018 10:09am I think it's a stretch to say that the Saints have pinned their hopes on these guys.

To be fair it says "faith" not "hope". I guess clubs pin their faith on every player they draft.

I agree it was a definite move to balance up the list.

saintadamski
Club Player

"Pinned their hopes" ... what a complete pile of absolute bullsh*t!

I believe that this is drafting genius at its best.

2 talented kids, and 4 young men with serious pace and fierceness.... just watch their highlights.

If Richo actually gives them an opportunity, the Saints will be a force to be reckoned with very soon.

All that needs to happen now is to stop the weekly malpractice of naming Newnes and co in the top 22

ace
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda drafting genius.
That would be squandering a No1 draft selection on an undersized tall forward with type 1 diabetes guaranteed to ensure he would never be an elite mover.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
saintadamski
Club Player

ace wrote: Sun 02 Dec 2018 1:54pm St Kilda drafting genius.
That would be squandering a No1 draft selection on an undersized tall forward with type 1 diabetes guaranteed to ensure he would never be an elite mover.
Completely agree with you.

The trout Elshaug era brought this club to its knees.

My prediction is Paddy will be gone soon... the worst pick 1 waste since Jack Watts.

But what I'm seeing now is a new direction... with some logic, rather than Trouts "good kid from a good family" garbage

derby Street
Club Player

type 1 diabetes guaranteed to ensure he would never be an elite mover.
Ignorant.

takeaway
Club Player

saintadamski wrote: Sun 02 Dec 2018 2:00pm

My prediction is Paddy will be gone soon... the worst pick 1 waste since Jack Watts.

But what I'm seeing now is a new direction... with some logic, rather than Trouts "good kid from a good family" garbage
Disagree - the trout era has had some misses but was not too bad - would compare OK with a lot of clubs. A major problem for the club is the recruiting prior to Trout - say 2005-10 - ie senior leadership now.

Whilst 2005-10 draft picks were not as high as 2011-17, if you look at players who played 50 games or more or who are extremely likely to play at least 50 games for the club, 13 players were in that category for the 6 years 2005-10 (only Geary, Armo & Steven left) - 20% success rate from 64 players drafted/traded.

In the 6 years 2011-16, 27 players are in that category - double pre trout, and a 50% success rate from 60 players drafted/traded. 2017, which is not included in the figures, also looks pretty good with Clark, Coffield, Austin, etc.

So if you just go by players good enough to get to 50 games, which is around 30% of AFL players, the trout era was much better.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

"Pinned its faith?"
Er...don't think so. More like we are adding a demographic to our list in an area we were understaffed in.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
ListManager
Club Player

Why get rid of Freeman and Goddard FFS? Have they realized their mistake and deliberately drafted older guys?

NeXus Nick is back but where is Joffaboy????
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sun 02 Dec 2018 4:17pm

Disagree - the trout era has had some misses but was not too bad - would compare OK with a lot of clubs. A major problem for the club is the recruiting prior to Trout - say 2005-10 - ie senior leadership now.

Whilst 2005-10 draft picks were not as high as 2011-17, if you look at players who played 50 games or more or who are extremely likely to play at least 50 games for the club, 13 players were in that category for the 6 years 2005-10 (only Geary, Armo & Steven left) - 20% success rate from 64 players drafted/traded.

In the 6 years 2011-16, 27 players are in that category - double pre trout, and a 50% success rate from 60 players drafted/traded. 2017, which is not included in the figures, also looks pretty good with Clark, Coffield, Austin, etc.

So if you just go by players good enough to get to 50 games, which is around 30% of AFL players, the trout era was much better.

This is a fantastically illuminating and a little scary post.

Goes to show how bad 2005-10 was in recruitment / development under RL and how Trout was a bit of an easy scape goat for our dismal 2018...
He really lived and died by drafting Paddy and right now I feel like that’s a reflection that we’re a bit worried about the kid.

I really like him though. Really hope he fixes his kicking... if Paddy nails the majority of his set shots, will easily be a 40 to 50 goal a season player

stkfc1
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sun 02 Dec 2018 6:04pm
takeaway wrote: Sun 02 Dec 2018 4:17pm

This is a fantastically illuminating and a little scary post.

Goes to show how bad 2005-10 was in recruitment / development under RL and how Trout was a bit of an easy scape goat for our dismal 2018...
He really lived and died by drafting Paddy and right now I feel like that’s a reflection that we’re a bit worried about the kid.

I really like him though. Really hope he fixes his kicking... if Paddy nails the majority of his set shots, will easily be a 40 to 50 goal a season player
Put a fit Paddy with any of the GWS, Richmond, West Coast, Magpie midfields kicking it to him and and I have no doubt he'd kick you 40-50 goals a year. No problem.

He has to nail his chances but we have to be kicking it to his advantage. How many times Ive seen the poor kid have it kicked to his feet or over his head.

We're all hoping Ratts will finally get our forward transition moving with synergy and effectiveness and the new guys like Young and Parker can put some decent forward pressure on with Long and Lonie.

Im thinking we may see this R1

Membrey Bruce Young (just a hunch)
Lonie Paddy Long

With Gresh, Billings, Acres, Battle, Sinclair and Marshall all rotating through as required

Kent, Parker now also options.

And we have options aplenty.

Likey, Likey...

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

'Character' is the number 1 factor in recruitment at all clubs.

saintadamski
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Sun 02 Dec 2018 7:17pm

Garbage - it's one of many equal components.

The problem at the Saints was that we went through a only drafting 'nice guys' era

So incredibly glad that is all over and done with now

the dome
Club Player

Bin the murdoch rag

I would assume that the primary pinning of hope would be firstly in the direction of Mckenzie, Coffield, Acers, Dan Hannas, Hunter, Paddy, Gresh & Sincs. these older guys will hopefully be adding good value quickly.
The murdochian bummer guy is being melodramatic. Still not worth buying the murdoch rag if you can help it.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintadamski wrote: Sun 02 Dec 2018 7:25pm

The problem at the Saints was that we went through a only drafting 'nice guys' era

Character is number 1.

Picking nice kids, was never our strategy.

That's a total myth.

the dome
Club Player

Bin the murdoch rag

I would assume that the primary pinning of hope would be firstly in the direction of Mckenzie, Coffield, Acers, Dan Hannas, Hunter, Paddy, Gresh & Sincs. these older guys will hopefully be adding good value quickly.
The murdochian bummer guy is being melodramatic. Still not worth buying the murdoch rag if you can help it. :D

chico2001
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Sun 02 Dec 2018 7:40pm
saintadamski wrote: Sun 02 Dec 2018 7:25pm

Character is number 1.

Picking nice kids, was never our strategy.

That's a total myth.
I will take ability any day. Character is over rated

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

chico2001 wrote: Sun 02 Dec 2018 7:51pm

As Nathan Burke wrote in an article recently...

"Who would you rather have in your team; the self-starter with leadership qualities or the kid who needs to be spoon-fed? I know which player I would prefer on my list.

Having future draftees understand the importance of these attributes is as important as getting them to sharpen their skills, mainly because AFL clubs don’t expect to draft a finished product.

They know they will have to improve a player’s skills, which is why they spend so much on development coaches these days.

With this in mind they have to make sure they draft a kid with the right attitude and willingness to take the development opportunities afforded to him."

Choppa
Club Player

Unread post by derby Street » Sun 02 Dec 2018 1:23pm

ace wrote: ↑Sun 02 Dec 2018 12:54pm
St Kilda drafting genius.
type 1 diabetes guaranteed to ensure he would never be an elite mover.
Ignorant.
Extremely ignorant.

saintadamski
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Sun 02 Dec 2018 8:36pm

"Who would you rather have in your team; the self-starter with leadership qualities or the kid who needs to be spoon-fed? I know which player I would prefer on my list.

Having future draftees understand the importance of these attributes is as important as getting them to sharpen their skills, mainly because AFL clubs don’t expect to draft a finished product.

They know they will have to improve a player’s skills, which is why they spend so much on development coaches these days.

With this in mind they have to make sure they draft a kid with the right attitude and willingness to take the development opportunities afforded to him."
Right so everyone take note from good ol roger dodger- it's all about whether you're a 'self starter' vs 'spoon-fed'

It has nothing to do with talent, pace, strength, leap, ferocity, field vision, skill, or any other of those qualities that make a great footballer

Now I see it all so clear - it's all about 'self starter' vs 'spoon-fed'....which are vague incoherent terms to describe character in the first place

So now that I know that character is defined (very very simply) by a 'self starter' vs 'spoon-fed'

I now know that character has NOTHING to do with being:
- Adventurous
- Affable
- Capable
- Charming
- Confident
- Conscientious
- Cultured
- Dependable
- Discreet
- Dutiful
- Encouraging
- Exuberant
- Fair
- Fearless
- Gregarious
-Humble
- Helpful
- Imaginative
- Independent
- Keen
- Meticulous
- Observant
- Persistent
- Reliable
- Trusting
- Valiant

Thanks for clearing that up for me Roger....PHEW - I had it all wrong there for a minute or two! lmao

chico2001
Club Player

No player arrives at a club unskilled, why would you pick a player with no ability but one with good character? Was king picked on his character alone? So lukosius was picked on his character first and not his ability to play the game. How many players are walk up starts when they arrive at a club?...plenty.You are trying to defend the indefencible.......What you said and what you quoted in N.Burkes article are 2 different things..

saintadamski
Club Player

chico2001 wrote: Sun 02 Dec 2018 11:38pm

No player arrives at a club unskilled, why would you pick a player with no ability but one with good character? Was king picked on his character alone? So lukosius was picked on his character first and not his ability to play the game. How many players are walk up starts when they arrive at a club?...plenty.You are trying to defend the indefencible.......What you said and what you quoted in N.Burkes article are 2 different things..
Well said.

Rodger Dodger... give it a read