Rate our draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rate our draft

Toy Saint wrote: Sat 24 Nov 2018 10:18am My rating is poor. We needed classy mids and we got two kids battling injury and three unknown state league players.

Why does our club seem to think we can turn mature age state players into top tier AFL footballers? And why does our club feel they can recruit kids with physical problems and get them right?
Because Geelong did

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
brewski
Club Player

I am surprisingly happy... but i guess we will see after the next season

Banned by the censors
axcellence
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sat 24 Nov 2018 3:23pm We actually drafted 5 of Gary Buckenara's top 50, so it can't be all bad.

B+ for mine.
I think that’s a very valid point. Overall, it is not the worst draft at the picks that Saints have had.

They basically turned Hickey and next year’s 2/3 rounders into a few young and mature players.

Replacing some under performers from last year with new ready made players. It’s like making the best of a bad hand. But it is still a bad hand.

So, I don’t doubt the capability of the 2018 recruiting in hindsight. But, from an overall list perspective, the list isn’t quite up there, but it’s a start.

stkfc1
Club Player

I think the best thing to come out of this draft is that there will be pressure on guys to keep their spots. By introducing 5 mature age ready to go players into the team, players like Newnes, Sinclair etc who didnt have great years this year, will now have to step up or loose their spot. We now have a bit of depth to push players which we didnt have before.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

stkfc1 wrote: Sun 25 Nov 2018 9:08am I think the best thing to come out of this draft is that there will be pressure on guys to keep their spots. By introducing 5 mature age ready to go players into the team, players like Newnes, Sinclair etc who didnt have great years this year, will now have to step up or loose their spot. We now have a bit of depth to push players which we didnt have before.
Counting the rookie, we actually introduced 6 mature age guys, but you are right about the increased pressure to perform.

David-Lee
Club Player

The draft was ok. I think getting Max King was an excellent calculated risk.

The one that baffles me is Nick Hind. Yes, hes quick and kicked some goals but hes not a 2-3 goals game player. I know we dont need quick inside mids who get tons of clearances and inside 50's.....we are sooooo set in that department.

Because if we weren't we would have taken the arguably best VFL player in the league, Mick Gibbons. I was frustrated we didnt draft him last year and after the year our midfield suffered I thought a hard bodied proven aged performer was what we wanted, but we have Hannebury now so we're all good.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

we don't have any 2-3 goal game players. not many clubs do outside of their best forward.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Flagless
Club Player

I've seen Parker a number of times this year and while he has talent it is still a big risk. He had troubled teen years and has only in the last 2 years had any impact at WAFL level. He has potential but not much would have to go wrong off the field for it to all blow up

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Flagless wrote: Sun 25 Nov 2018 2:02pm I've seen Parker a number of times this year and while he has talent it is still a big risk. He had troubled teen years and has only in the last 2 years had any impact at WAFL level. He has potential but not much would have to go wrong off the field for it to all blow up
Hopefully. in the Saints environment , he will blossom. Keep your fingers crossed but give the young man a chance. The Saints have.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 25 Nov 2018 2:45pm
Flagless wrote: Sun 25 Nov 2018 2:02pm I've seen Parker a number of times this year and while he has talent it is still a big risk. He had troubled teen years and has only in the last 2 years had any impact at WAFL level. He has potential but not much would have to go wrong off the field for it to all blow up
Hopefully. in the Saints environment , he will blossom. Keep your fingers crossed but give the young man a chance. The Saints have.
Sometimes all a bloke needs is a chance to turn his life around. Like others have said, we drafted good blokes for a long time. Fine citizens all of them. Personally I'm ready to start winning again.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

You'll be the first to get a hatchet in his back the moment he steps out of line, nothing surer.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: Sun 25 Nov 2018 4:05pm
You'll be the first to get a hatchet in his back the moment he steps out of line, nothing surer.
That is just utter bulls*** and just another on of your attempts to stalk and bully me. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

High risk high reward - hopefully.

Let’s hope if he plays on the edge of controlled aggression.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
chico2001
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sun 25 Nov 2018 4:30pm
That is just utter bulls*** and just another on of your attempts to stalk and bully me. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Like to have played on you for just 5 minutes saynta...........

saynta
Saintsational Legend

chico2001 wrote: Sun 25 Nov 2018 4:50pm
You would have ended up on your fat backside.

chico2001
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Sun 25 Nov 2018 4:40pm
High risk high reward - hopefully.

Let’s hope if he plays on the edge of controlled aggression.
Likes to play on and take a risk and we need some aggression, we are not exactly the hardest team in the league at the minute.. Brown had a dip at the end of the year, cost him a few weeks but he tried.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Just simple pattern recognition mate, you set em' up… I'll knock em' down.

chico2001
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sun 25 Nov 2018 4:52pm
chico2001 wrote: Sun 25 Nov 2018 4:50pm
You would have ended up on your fat backside.
I would have fixed those bulging discs for you....no problem at all........with a good knee in the back

saint6709
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Sat 24 Nov 2018 9:31am Having a clear Number 1 ruck for 2019 was to me is
a very low priority.

History shows that teams in premiership windows can easily go out and get a ruck if required.

History also shows that only ok rucks will do the job if the rest of your team is good. ie just at wce tiges and dogs for the last 3 flags.

We need to fix the rest of the team first.

On reflection now that I have reviewed who we gained given where our picks were overall our choice were good.

We have added electric place and run that we lacked.

We have added more players of an age that are ready to play now and that will increase the pressure to make our 22 in 2919 and that is a good thing. Numerous more 28y is would not have done that.

Our second pick is a beauty.

The only thing that I would question is King with our first pick as a player like Rozee or Smith would have aided quality in our midfield and done so over the next 2 years. King is a riskier and more long term pick. But also with more potential.

So overall despite on draft day thinking etc...who are all these guys..I have come around after studying them to think that the club had done well for our needs.

Fixing our ruck can come later..
And if one of Pierce, Marshall or Sam come good may not even be required.

As it stands with Hannas and our no2 we have added to our midfield.

With our Dees recruit and draftees we have a number of very quick runners to select from...and we very much need linebreaking pace.

And we have more players of the right age profile to play in 2019.

We are in better shape for 2019 than we were in 2018.

The Rat has a lot of tools to work with.
I was very keen on Preuss thought he was a ‘no brainer’ fit for us — but we didn’t get him and I’ve moved on - hoping the club experts know something that I don’t re Pierce and longer - Pierce is young enough to make a leap next year and maybe Longer has carried injuries and is ready to go now ?? Still young , high draft pick —- 1 thing I think that is giving me hope is the footage of both those guys looking to be moving well doing run throughs in a news report - Well Before They Were Meant To Be Back At Training !

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

axcellence wrote: Sun 25 Nov 2018 8:12am
I think that’s a very valid point. Overall, it is not the worst draft at the picks that Saints have had.

They basically turned Hickey and next year’s 2/3 rounders into a few young and mature players.

Replacing some under performers from last year with new ready made players. It’s like making the best of a bad hand. But it is still a bad hand.

So, I don’t doubt the capability of the 2018 recruiting in hindsight. But, from an overall list perspective, the list isn’t quite up there, but it’s a start.
I can't agree with that. Yes we cut some underperforming players but we've replaced them with others who don't even play to that standard at state level.

Minch is an absolute star in the VFL. Freeman is good for 25-30 touches a game. Weller will either get 25 touches in the middle or kick 2/3 goals as a forward. We've brought in a forward who gets 10 touches and kicks 1 goal per game, a short skinny 24 year old half back who can't kick and doesn't get much of the ball and another forward who might be good for 1.5 goals per game at state level. The only high performing mature recruits is Wilkie.

I think we have missed the chance to bring in another few kids with potential in favour of guys who might be able to plug a hole in 2019. Even though those guys probably aren't as good as players we have cut. Really bizarre decision making by the club and it does not give me confidence that we'll be anywhere near the finals in the next couple of years or good enough to be contending for a flag in the few years after that.

Realistically the only best 22 player we have recruited in the off season is Hannebery and if he can't improve on his 2018 form he may not even be best 22. And the only kids we picked have had a horrific knee injury and ongoing back issues. The rest of our recruits are depth

axcellence
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote: Mon 26 Nov 2018 5:27am
axcellence wrote: Sun 25 Nov 2018 8:12am

I can't agree with that. Yes we cut some underperforming players but we've replaced them with others who don't even play to that standard at state level.

Minch is an absolute star in the VFL. Freeman is good for 25-30 touches a game. Weller will either get 25 touches in the middle or kick 2/3 goals as a forward. We've brought in a forward who gets 10 touches and kicks 1 goal per game, a short skinny 24 year old half back who can't kick and doesn't get much of the ball and another forward who might be good for 1.5 goals per game at state level. The only high performing mature recruits is Wilkie.

I think we have missed the chance to bring in another few kids with potential in favour of guys who might be able to plug a hole in 2019. Even though those guys probably aren't as good as players we have cut. Really bizarre decision making by the club and it does not give me confidence that we'll be anywhere near the finals in the next couple of years or good enough to be contending for a flag in the few years after that.

Realistically the only best 22 player we have recruited in the off season is Hannebery and if he can't improve on his 2018 form he may not even be best 22. And the only kids we picked have had a horrific knee injury and ongoing back issues. The rest of our recruits are depth
Well, the underlying points were:-

1. It was a bad set of draft picks. They weren’t going to get Dusty Martin at pick 41. Chance of picking a draft gem around that mark is pretty low.

2. The players they delisted weren’t delivering despite chances.

3. Given point one- a mature player isn’t the worst strategy. Again, there can be conjecture around whether they were the best mature picks. However, they did get featured in bucky’s top 50, so they had something going for them. Again, no world beaters, but solid GOPs rather than failed players.

My point remains that it was an option worth trying given the draft picks. Basically drafted for now or might as well start another rebuild.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

It's a roll of the dice and a hope for the best. Hannebery, Bytel is just a roll of the dice - we are the nursemaids of the AFL.
We haven't recruited according to our team's needs and what is needed to balance things up, address our lack of foot skills (especially in our midfield) and lack of outside run.

Our poor quality entries into our forward 50 will just continue. We haven't addressed this.

I think Richo is getting the most out of what he has and he's certainly not getting any help from the recruiters - 33% might be as good as it gets.

While other teams are improving their already strong and skilful midfields, we are doing nothing (sensible, at least) to improve our mediocre one.

We will go backward while other teams are moving forward with targeted and planned recruiting which addresses any list weaknesses.
Last edited by samoht on Mon 26 Nov 2018 10:30am, edited 1 time in total.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Not really sure the mature age argument holds up if they aren't in our top ,22. Sandy will be wrapped of course. As none of these mature agers are automatic inclusions in our team. As per a previous post who do the inside mid, hbf and 2 small forwards replace? We picked players in positions we have enough of already. Hbf we have way too many already, inside mids same and we recruited hanneberry as well and that leaves small forwards where we just got Kent.
Me personally this draft is on the shoulders of king. Unfortunately we find out in 2021 how good he will be.

How fans rate this draft anything above a 6 really baffles me

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Richo coached a couple of seasons at around a 50% W/L rate.

If we drop away from that - and our new status quo becomes 33% - it will just reflect and reinforce (to me, at least) that our recruiting standards are not up to scratch - relative to other teams.

If we can't poach a superstar that addresses our midfield needs, we should have at least drafted (a future) one (and there were a couple still available at pick 4) - the best teams are both poaching and drafting the best, most skilful midfielders - at every opportunity - and widening the gap on us.

I wish Max King the best, and I'm sure he'll become a great player for us, but I can't help but feel that we have overlooked our immediate needs.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: Sun 25 Nov 2018 5:11pm
Just simple pattern recognition mate, you set em' up… I'll knock em' down.
You calling me mate is extremely offensive to me.