Welcome Max King

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Re: Welcome Max King

Can he play half back flank?

Nee!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote: Fri 23 Nov 2018 2:04am Can he play half back flank?
All our players can play half back flank.

It is the foundation stone of our list policy.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Well I took Bailey Smith to the bank and they bounced my cheque. Happy to have Max at the club, seems a genuine, level headed, hard working young man. Fingers crossed we get his brother in a couple of years when they both will be due for break out years.
Seems 2019 will be make or break for Longer & Pierce, can see Marshall / King sharing those duties from 2020.
Also can see Paddy & Bruce playing for their St Kilda careers, which is not a bad thing for either.
Please, please, please get fast, skilful midfielders from now on, including next year.
If St Kilda was a golf bag, it feels like we have packed 5 drivers in the bag.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 23 Nov 2018 7:49am Well I took Bailey Smith to the bank and they bounced my cheque. Happy to have Max at the club, seems a genuine, level headed, hard working young man. Fingers crossed we get his brother in a couple of years when they both will be due for break out years.
Seems 2019 will be make or break for Longer & Pierce, can see Marshall / King sharing those duties from 2020.
Also can see Paddy & Bruce playing for their St Kilda careers, which is not a bad thing for either.
Please, please, please get fast, skilful midfielders from now on, including next year.
West Coast won a GF with 2 tall forwards, and 2 ruckmen.

They have a deepish midfield, with only Shuey and Yeo to get excited about.

Shuey is 28 and Yeo is 25.

Nothing we did or didn't do in this draft will make a difference next year or realistically the one after even.

What we did in 13 and 14 is what will make the difference next year.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Fri 23 Nov 2018 9:55am
Ghost Like wrote: Fri 23 Nov 2018 7:49am Well I took Bailey Smith to the bank and they bounced my cheque. Happy to have Max at the club, seems a genuine, level headed, hard working young man. Fingers crossed we get his brother in a couple of years when they both will be due for break out years.

Nothing we did or didn't do in this draft will make a difference next year or realistically the one after even.

And Collingwood almost won a GF with one mediocre tall American in the forward line. We’ve got plenty like that already, I would love some gun mids.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
mordiboyz
Club Player

Never been happier with a draft pick than today.

St Kilda has finally learnt our lession.

Pick the best available talent with your low draft picks and fill the holes with your high draft and rookie picks.

Bravo Lethers. Things are looking up!!!

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

now without Weller our chances of getting the ball to our forwards has increased.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 23 Nov 2018 10:09am

And Collingwood almost won a GF with one mediocre tall American in the forward line. We’ve got plenty like that already, I would love some gun mids.
He did take about 700 contested marks in the prelim though.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Aussie Jonestown wrote: Fri 23 Nov 2018 12:49am I think Paddy will improve dramatically and prove many on here wrong and not before too long!
Did you mean Longer for too Long.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

ace wrote: Fri 23 Nov 2018 11:28am
Aussie Jonestown wrote: Fri 23 Nov 2018 12:49am I think Paddy will improve dramatically and prove many on here wrong and not before too long!
Did you mean Longer for too Long.
I can see Paddy becoming a very good forward very soon.
I think the addition of Max will help him enormously.

ST KILDA concedes it didn't know the full extent of prized recruit Dan Hannebery's struggles with his body when it traded for him.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Fri 23 Nov 2018 11:12am
The_Dud wrote: Fri 23 Nov 2018 10:09am

He did take about 700 contested marks in the prelim though.
He had it easy against the Tigers and most marks apart from one stellar grab were not really contested.

Tiges kept allowing him to just lead into holes and the rest was history. WC were not so accommodating.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saynta
Saintsational Legend

5. MAX KING

Key forward, 201cm, 84kg, Sandringham Dragons

Buckenara says: Despite undergoing a knee reconstruction earlier this year after tearing his ACL, Max, like his twin brother Ben, is one of the top prospects in this draft. He’s got too much talent to be overlooked early because of his injury and I’ve got no doubt a club will swoop in the top 10. He’ll develop into a key forward/ruckman at AFL level, with his athleticism one of the key aspects of his game. He’s a nice kick, is agile for his size, has an impressive leap and is a good mark. He’ll need to find a stronger work ethic to improve his work rate but key position players are hard to find, so clubs will lock away a talent like Max early in the draft.

Plays Like: Tom Boyd in 2016 form (Western Bulldogs) and Matthew Kreuzer (Carlton)

yipper
SS Life Member

Have just heard that big Maxie trained with the dees during last years pre-season for 4-5 sessions.
Was out-marking the tall demon defenders with ease and making them look silly. Was described as unstoppable and he was just 16-17 yo. Go and ask Dean Kent.
This kid will be absolutely unstoppable.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 22 Nov 2018 9:22pm
Cairnsman wrote: Thu 22 Nov 2018 9:16pm Welcome aboard Maxxy! Live the dream!
What happened CM? You seemed so sure we would take a mid
The Mystic works in mysterious ways and it would appear there were some strange forces at play but in the end a very very good result for the club either way and as always I am now so excited about seeing all the new recruits play their first game and follow their journey.

I am uber excited about 2019, I really think 2018 will prove to be the season we had to have. I am also wondering if the forward arsenal we have assembled is going to benefit from the rule changes. Could we be entering the age of all out attack?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Fri 23 Nov 2018 6:20pm
The Mystic works in mysterious ways and it would appear there were some strange forces at play but in the end a very very good result for the club either way and as always I am now so excited about seeing all the new recruits play their first game and follow their journey.

I am uber excited about 2019, I really think 2018 will prove to be the season we had to have. I am also wondering if the forward arsenal we have assembled is going to benefit from the rule changes. Could we be entering the age of all out attack?
Maybe. Hope so.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Agreed.

I’m not sure what the salary cap situation is currently but one has to imagine club will continue to seek out ready made midfielders to close the gap in that regard.

I feel bullish about Max King... the club got a really good look at him over an extended period and the fact that they backed him knowing they would be leaving themselves vulnerable to criticism for passing over the ‘golden mids’ suggests that they are more than confident.

Let’s hope we’ve found the next Riewoldt or Gehrig.

Perhaps it’s also a sign that they’re feeling confident in guys like Coffield, Clarke, Gresh, Acres etc to come on a bit too.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Fri 23 Nov 2018 6:39pm

Agreed.

I’m not sure what the salary cap situation is currently but one has to imagine club will continue to seek out ready made midfielders to close the gap in that regard.

I feel bullish about Max King... the club got a really good look at him over an extended period and the fact that they backed him knowing they would be leaving themselves vulnerable to criticism for passing over the ‘golden mids’ suggests that they are more than confident.

Let’s hope we’ve found the next Riewoldt or Gehrig.

Perhaps it’s also a sign that they’re feeling confident in guys like Coffield, Clarke, Gresh, Acres etc to come on a bit too.
You could be onto something there, and I'll throw Dunstan into conversation, I reckon the forgotten one could get off the chain when he's got good support around him.