Membership scam

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Membership scam

Anyone else had money deducted from their card for next year's membership without permission?

They tried it on with me - and four others I know of. When you call them to say WTF they pretend you must've ticked a box on a form the year before - then finish up by having the gall to ask if you plan to renew your membership!

Dunno who the outfit is - whoever's been contracted to drum up memberships for next year. I expect they're on commission. Really sums up the way the club seems to have gone. No heart. Nothing to do with belonging to a club. They want our money. We want wins whatever it takes. It sucks.

Anyway, check your Visa bill!

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Membership scam

If you are on the monthly plan I think it defaults to auto renew unless you advise them you don’t want to auto renew. I certainly got an email or text telling me that a while back.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Winmar7
Club Player

It's no scam, membership (and direct debits) rolls over automatically unless you opt out - that's my understanding...

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

No scam. Pretty sure you haven't been thorough.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Correct.

They have an automatic rollover option...
Most clubs have been doing this for years whereas we’ve jumped on more recently

GSG
Club Player

freely wrote: Fri 09 Nov 2018 2:08pm Anyone else had money deducted from their card for next year's membership without permission?

They tried it on with me - and four others I know of. When you call them to say WTF they pretend you must've ticked a box on a form the year before - then finish up by having the gall to ask if you plan to renew your membership!

Dunno who the outfit is - whoever's been contracted to drum up memberships for next year. I expect they're on commission. Really sums up the way the club seems to have gone. No heart. Nothing to do with belonging to a club. They want our money. We want wins whatever it takes. It sucks.

Definitely not a scam. I got advised of all options, i.e. opt out or roll over, well in advance.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Most subscriptions are opt out.

Read the fine print. It’s more important than the price.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Viscount Jeremiah
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Fri 09 Nov 2018 4:36pm Correct.

They have an automatic rollover option...
Most clubs have been doing this for years whereas we’ve jumped on more recently
Correct and am glad we have done this

minneapolis
Club Player

freely wrote: Fri 09 Nov 2018 2:08pm Anyone else had money deducted from their card for next year's membership without permission?

You forgot!

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

Read the fine print. It’s more important than the price.
tick

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
freely
SS Hall of Fame

Well, I see that you are all a lot smarter than me and my friends! Unfortunately, that's at least 5 people in my immediate circle who will think twice about renewing their membership. Personally, however much you guys like the idea of hiding conditions in the small print as a strategy, I don't think that's a great outcome.

resaintlee
Club Player

Don't think the pint was that small, was a little surprised that this was the way they set it up at the time of offering, but has worked out to be a better way in the end

asiu
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Sat 10 Nov 2018 12:03pm Well, I see that you are all a lot smarter than me and my friends! Unfortunately, that's at least 5 people in my immediate circle who will think twice about renewing their membership. Personally, however much you guys like the idea of hiding conditions in the small print as a strategy, I don't think that's a great outcome.
i'd wholeheartedly agree

piss poor public relations
or
the altar of financial trough placement

'they' know what 'they' are doin

the club outsources the membership drive
as an arse coverer ?

easier to seek forgiveness
(read supply a patsy)
than be upfront
nowadays

look over there ->

'they' did it.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

GSG wrote: Fri 09 Nov 2018 5:02pm

Definitely not a scam. I got advised of all options, i.e. opt out or roll over, well in advance.
This has been my experience. We have two on rollover and two not on rollover. No fine print involved.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
leighsaintsince66
Club Player

The club informed me recently that they had attempted unsuccessfully to directly debit my account.
To my knowledge I have never paid for any of our memberships via direct debit. Will contact the club soon and sort it out, as the issue probably relates merely to incompetence at the club. I refuse to believe that the club would ever scam members.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

leighsaintsince66 wrote: Sat 10 Nov 2018 1:57pm The club informed me recently that they had attempted unsuccessfully to directly debit my account.
To my knowledge I have never paid for any of our memberships via direct debit. Will contact the club soon and sort it out, as the issue probably relates merely to incompetence at the club. I refuse to believe that the club would ever scam members.
There was an option of the site to have the membership paid in instalments over 12 months instead of one lump sum.
I chose that and got a letter saying the club had been unable to deduct the first instalment of the next membership... I note however that the bank sent me a new card as the old was set to expire so it might be that

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Sat 10 Nov 2018 12:03pm Well, I see that you are all a lot smarter than me and my friends! Unfortunately, that's at least 5 people in my immediate circle who will think twice about renewing their membership. Personally, however much you guys like the idea of hiding conditions in the small print as a strategy, I don't think that's a great outcome.
No offence Freely but I think this is on you and your friends.

It’s not in the fine print and clearly stated. If u did ur membership online you would have had to have selected the option

You can just as easily opt out if you don’t want this option

It is not however the club trying to rope you into a membership

Viscount Jeremiah
Club Player

Didn't seem like the club was trying to hide the fact I would be billed automatically they stated it quite clearly in print when I brought my membership last year.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

leighsaintsince66 wrote: Sat 10 Nov 2018 1:57pm The club informed me recently that they had attempted unsuccessfully to directly debit my account.
this is very unusual.
The club didn't pick your bank account and BSB out of thin air,
unless they employed the services of some psychics and mediums.
At some point, you have given them account details.
If you'd paid for merch and memberships in the past by Visa/Amex/Mastercard only,
they cannot find out your BSB+Account number.

You've given it to them at some point.
Using your details without your permission is a serious breach of APRA regulations,
and they wouldn't do this because there are hefty penalties.

Give them a call to clear it up.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Two years back they tried to put mine onto their direct debit plan.

Never requested, never been on it before.. they kept my card number on file which is actually not very legal.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....