Do you believe?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Do you believe?

We are putrid on field and have struggled with any sort of consistency in the last 18 months. That's before all the injuries and probably from about mid 2017- so before Roo and Joey retired. We play a brand of footy that is ugly and even confusing to some of our own players. The coach who is supposed to be the most important leader of the on field brigade is clueless.

But...Let's focus on the positives...The lawn at Seaford was faarking stupendously glorious

The lawn at Moorabbin is equally magnificent.

Plus...The media doods at St Kilda have better hairstyles than the other 16-17 clubs

We all know that Finnis and Richo need to go...Why are they still there?

asiu
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan wrote:

Not everyone is full of dooming and gloming...not thinking, wanting or wishing the worst. 😃

one of my fave words

but spelling and possibly context are off

gloming is spelt gloaming

glooming rhymes with dooming

what be u trying to say Ted

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

i just discovered 'glom' is a thing

now i'm really confused

:)

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
guitars4
Club Player

ss1986 wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 3:48pm Simple Yes/No for old mate Ted. I stand to be surprised.

Do you believe the club has done enough and is now headed in the right direction?

I say No.
IMO This is a forum where anyone can express their opinion .It's a definite no from me but Ted is entitled to his opinion & as much as I don't agree with most of Teds posts I do admire his optimism I just don't share it :wink:

ss1986
Club Player

guitars4 wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 10:47pm
ss1986 wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 3:48pm Simple Yes/No for old mate Ted. I stand to be surprised.

Do you believe the club has done enough and is now headed in the right direction?

I say No.
IMO This is a forum where anyone can express their opinion .It's a definite no from me but Ted is entitled to his opinion & as much as I don't agree with most of Teds posts I do admire his optimism I just don't share it :wink:
Totally respect Ted’s right to his opinion.... if it’s his and not that of a club-paid plant.

But I just wanted to do a pulse check....

Seems like most are still believing. I admire them.... cos Im not.

guitars4
Club Player

ss1986 wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 11:15pm
guitars4 wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 10:47pm

I say No.
Totally respect Ted’s right to his opinion.... if it’s his and not that of a club-paid plant.

But I just wanted to do a pulse check....

Seems like most are still believing. I admire them.... cos Im not.
I would say the opposite I think most are with you & I am definitely one but as I said I admire people who can see the positives so I must be blind because I can't see too many

chico2001
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 8:39pm
chico2001 wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 8:28pm
ss1986 wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 8:23pm
rodgerfox wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 6:08pm

I say No.
Done enough for what?

Heading in the right direction to what?

There's a saying I live by.... "you're either moving towards your goals, or away from them. It's always one or the other."

There's absolutely no doubt that the club is heading towards them. Absolutely no doubt at all.
One fundamental error in your assertion Rodge...

Another 16-17 clubs have moved even further ahead.

Relatively speaking, we’re further behind.
Probably a good point, if you don't get new and better players in each and every year then you go backwards.
What if players ready on your list improve? Does that make you get worse?
You would hope to get improvement out of players already on the list, especially the newer recruits, Newnes may not improve, Clark might and Bruce may go backwards. Most teams get new players in and hope they bolster the list. The Eagles will probably add one or two and they won the flag.

wally
Club Player

Yes club went forward, albeit would like to have seen more.

The Sheil offer just confirmed that ATM stars don't want to come to our club no matter how much money you throw a them.

Would like to have seen Richo replaced.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

My answer to the OP is No.

The Trade period was... OK. But that is only because I believe that Hanna's last few years have been effected by interrupted preseasons and poor management. If we get him fit he could be an absolute bargain.

I wanted another assistant coach. Added to this I would have liked to have seen Danny Sexton replaced. I can't see how we can sweep through assistants like we did and yet he manages to keep his role.

I really think we have an issue with performance management when it comes to administration and coaches. We need to be ruthless, tempered with realistic accountability.

The coaches, as they stand right now:

The Cho- For now.
Ratten- Tick
Lade- lesser tick.
Playfair- hmm
Hamill- Tick for the zebs.
Skrobolak- hmm
McGlynn- Somewhat forgotten.
Batchelor- hmm
Searle- doing the ladies. (Watch them dominate when we get in).

The whole coaching package is still underwhelming. Harvey or Hayes would have made it appear somewhat better for example. Can only hope that Ratten has a significant influence which really, if we have some sweeping match day changes, could take more than a season.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

“Yes”? “No”? At present I’ve never been less interested in either: AFL, or St Kilda.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saynta
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 6:53pm I still want to know what happens if we win 8 games in 2019. Is that enough of a step in the right direction? Do we keep the coach for 2020? Personally, I think we scrapped our way to 4 wins this year. I think we could have easily lost a couple more. Richo was playing damage control all year and I expect more of the same next season. So, if we're riding our older players to an at-least-we're-not-last finish, is that enough?

I believe we're a rebuilding team in denial. My only hope is that the club doesn't dig itself a deeper hole while trying to believe their way through all the mistakes we've made.
Would have been 5 if Carlisle held that mark.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

no we haven't done enough.
yes, we are headed in the right direction - like a drunken loiterer wandering home at 3 am, hoping he asks the right people to re-orientate him along the way.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote: Mon 29 Oct 2018 7:59am

The Cho- For now.
Ratten- Tick
Lade- lesser tick.
Playfair- hmm
Skrobolak- hmm
Batchelor- hmm

The whole coaching package is still underwhelming. Harvey or Hayes would have made it appear somewhat better for example. Can only hope that Ratten has a significant influence which really, if we have some sweeping match day changes, could take more than a season.
Hamill is not a coaches bootlace. He may okay as an assistant, but should not be coaching Sandy. He has no idea!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

How do you know Hamill is no good as a coach at Sandy?

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 29 Oct 2018 11:30am How do you know Hamill is no good as a coach at Sandy?
I was at every Sandy home game this year, and listened to his addresses at quarter and three quarter time. He has no idea.
Sandy were abysmal this year.
The last good coach Sandy had was Paul Hudson!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
spert
Saintsational Legend

If we make the final eight next season, then we are moving in the right direction. As far as I'm concerned- you're in the eight or you're irrelevant in the AFL.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Fair enough. I only got to a few games, but never heard him address the group. Its his first senior gig though I believe. I reckon the players would like him.

Is he still coaching next year?

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
David-Lee
Club Player

Simple yes or no. Then no.
But we can only get worse or better.
I presume the coaches (we know at least 1 can develop players) will help us get 2-3 more wins.
I predict 8 wins.

chico2001
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote: Mon 29 Oct 2018 12:32pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 29 Oct 2018 11:30am How do you know Hamill is no good as a coach at Sandy?
I was at every Sandy home game this year, and listened to his addresses at quarter and three quarter time. He has no idea.
Sandy were abysmal this year.
The last good coach Sandy had was Paul Hudson!
Good answer Bern, at the game, seen it and heard it more than once.

I cant pass judgement on Hammil because I know nothing about his coaching exploits apart from what I have read on the website.

chico2001
Club Player

bigred wrote: Mon 29 Oct 2018 7:59am My answer to the OP is No.

The Trade period was... OK. But that is only because I believe that Hanna's last few years have been effected by interrupted preseasons and poor management. If we get him fit he could be an absolute bargain.

I wanted another assistant coach. Added to this I would have liked to have seen Danny Sexton replaced. I can't see how we can sweep through assistants like we did and yet he manages to keep his role.

I really think we have an issue with performance management when it comes to administration and coaches. We need to be ruthless, tempered with realistic accountability.

The Cho- For now.
Ratten- Tick
Lade- lesser tick.
Playfair- hmm
Skrobolak- hmm
Batchelor- hmm

Nice work red and a good summary. Jury is still out on some of those coaches even though the flog rates them as superstars. I do agree it is underwhelming. The saints blew a great opportunity this year. I would have liked to have seen a top skills coach , a good goalkicking coach and someone like B.Goddard for currency and leadership and he would still get a kick. I note you didn't have Dixon on that list. Saints are hanging their hat on ratten.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Richos extension will hurt us.. until his contract is up as far as I'm concerned we will tread water.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I’d like to see the draft before I completely commit to one side or another but the real challenge is the argument between what they’ve done versus what they realistically could do.

It seems to me that the admin have done everything in their power to change things up but realistically could they have fixed everything in one off-season?

I’d have liked to have seen Richo moved on and a few more players traded in personally but for one reason or another this was not done.

I suspect that reality has sunk in, some moves have been made and that things are going to be changed a whole lot more over the next 12 months.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Another 2 years bottom 4.
That’s the reality.
That will be the grind.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote: Tue 30 Oct 2018 10:12pm Another 2 years bottom 4.
That’s the reality.
That will be the grind.

Really think another two years bottom 4?

Not sure how anyone can predict that... in fact, simply the volatility in the fixture make that hard to eventuate...

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Spinner wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 3:57pm

I say No.

Why no? Some details would be handy.

Done enough in the time period where we have realised things are not going to plan, I think so. Can't erase years of poor recruiting but essentially we have a new: president, football manager, assistant coaches and a new potential senior player/leader. Couldn't do much more other than sack the coach (which has been driven by his long contract) and a new CEO. Add in Gubby.

I think enough. We'll see if we improve.
Spot on Spinner
I was one of the angry mob mid-year, baying for blood. if you take into account that St Kilda is currently the opposite of a Destination club, then since the wheels fell off officially mid year we’ve taken a lot of positive steps off field. Arguably the strongest we’ve been off field for a long time - apart from the head coach. Certainly a pass mark in my books.

The major issue of course is lack of A grade talent on the list. Next Off season what I will want to see is the addition of at least 3 proven players who will be in our best 22 and an improvement in our recruiting department.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.