We've been Shanghaid

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: We've been Shanghaid

Bowey Boy wrote: Thu 25 Oct 2018 5:46pm Port seems to play a number of “away” games at neutral venues. We are the AFL's bitch so it will be appropriate to swap possible wins for certain losses.
You're joking, surely? Port are one of those teams we never beat - along with Adelaide, the Swans, West Coast Eagles, Geelong, Hawthorn, and North.
If we're going to lose we may as well have a decent excuse, we've used up all the ones about always playing them in Tassie, and always playing them in Adelaide. At least we'll be changing our excuse next year...
Having said that I am glad we are doing it - Thommo used to take the players all over the world, and one of the places he took the team was China one pre-season. Good fiscal sense.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Thu 25 Oct 2018 7:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Thu 25 Oct 2018 6:43pm
Bowey Boy wrote: Thu 25 Oct 2018 5:46pm Port seems to play a number of “away” games at neutral venues. We are the AFL's bitch so it will be appropriate to swap possible wins for certain losses.
Perception is a funny thing.

Hawthorn sell home games to play in Tassie, and they're geniuses.

We sell home games to play in China and we're the AFLs bitches.
Our record in Tassie wasn't too bad. Poor decision making to throw in the towel when we did, in my opinion.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

What perception?

That is hardly a good comparison. The Hawk's games in Tassie are true HOME games. Plus the Hawks have used it to shore up and build on an already strong Tasmanian following.

Whereas our HOME game in China will be to all intents and purposes be viewed as Port's HOME game. Port has already played there, and when our 3 years are up it will be Port who keeps playing there.

What would be comparable now would be the Saints giving up a home game to play the Hawks in Tassie. Though at least in that case we would have some died in the wool Saint's fans resident there.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintly
Saintsational Legend

NOrth also playing in Tasie,
Bulldogs playing up north,
etc etc

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Thu 25 Oct 2018 7:42pm

What perception?

That is hardly a good comparison. The Hawk's games in Tassie are true HOME games. Plus the Hawks have used it to shore up and build on an already strong Tasmanian following.

Whereas our HOME game in China will be to all intents and purposes be viewed as Port's HOME game. Port has already played there, and when our 3 years are up it will be Port who keeps playing there.

What would be comparable now would be the Saints giving up a home game to play the Hawks in Tassie. Though at least in that case we would have some died in the wool Saint's fans resident there.
Both are purely about making money.

Full stop.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

What perception?

And, you can bet we will be wearing the stupid away Guernsey for our home game.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote: Thu 25 Oct 2018 9:49pm

What perception?

We’ll be wearing our home jumper.
After a brouhaha between Port and the Suns over Gold Coast's right to wear their home jumper, Thomas said those issues had already been ironed out with the Saints.

"When we first started thinking about China we were quite unsure about what was important and what wasn't important. We knew the colour red was very significant in the Chinese culture. But it's not that significant," he said.

"We have no issue at all with St Kilda having the home guernsey. We'll design our own guernsey for the occasion ... with just a subtle reference to China."

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The thing that’s pissed me off is that since 2016 we have NOT sold off any home games for big $$$ and we are in massive debt.

IF anyone can’t see what’s wrong with that then go ban yourself from here permanently

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

HitTheBoundary wrote: Thu 25 Oct 2018 6:29pm
sunsaint wrote: Thu 25 Oct 2018 6:03pm
desertsaint wrote: Thu 25 Oct 2018 5:29pm well i expected a bit more anger and depression. guess we've all moved on to acceptance.
that's healthy.
most have
some are still stuck back at denial
We're going to Egypt as well?
Our deal seems to be some, sort of pyramid scheme

Seeya
IanRush
SS Hall of Fame

Terrible decision, the game in Shanghai is for expats corporates to get p.ssed, nothing more... and Melboune Victory represent Australia most years now anyway in China, by qualifying for Asian Champions League soccer. THis smacks of a grab for Govt cash.

USELESS FACT: The WADA case against Essendon (in Sydney as well) is exactly 10 years to the day that Australia qualified for the 2006 FIFA World Cup.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

we needed / need to be shown the money

here's the money

thank you
needs to be our response ... imo

so

ta

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

if we could happen to WIN it

well

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Fri 26 Oct 2018 1:10pm if we could happen to WIN it

well
Port have only just scraped home against us over recent years, home ground advantage and all, and we have a few guys onboard who know a thing or two about them...not out of the realms of possibility at all.

minneapolis
Club Player

dragit wrote: Thu 25 Oct 2018 6:36pm
minneapolis wrote: Thu 25 Oct 2018 1:12pm Well I am excited. My Aussie workmate and I have already agreed to take the train from BeiJing to ShangHai. I have never been to ShangHai. And it will be the first time I will watch the Saints live since Barry Breen was doing goal kicking practice.

I fly each month from Minneapolis to Beijing. It's not that bad. To say it is arduous is a complete farce. It get in at 5pm and am at work the next day at 9am with 12 hour time difference jet lag and can function OK.

Approach the situation with positive energy. Pick the right team. Make traditions. Use it as a bonding experience so that the players will be asking to go. Then kick on afterwards at a beach in Thailand for a couple of days with the WAGS. And bank the money.
That is amazing!

Hope you enjoy mate. 👍
Thanks Dragit. I know I will.

I work 30 days in BeiJing and then fly home for a few weeks. When I am in BeiJing I work the 30 days straight. It's not that bad but I am ready for a break when it's time to go home. This will be the first time I have taken any time off in China in 3 years. It will be like Christmas for me.

A fast train in business class. An AirBnb near the ground. And a big win for the Saints. Moist!

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

IanRush wrote: Fri 26 Oct 2018 12:59pm Terrible decision, the game in Shanghai is for expats corporates to get p.ssed, nothing more... and Melboune Victory represent Australia most years now anyway in China, by qualifying for Asian Champions League soccer. THis smacks of a grab for Govt cash.
Who do you barrack for again Rushie?

Isn’t Caaaarlton???

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote: Thu 25 Oct 2018 9:49pm

What perception?

Not true.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

IanRush wrote: Fri 26 Oct 2018 12:59pm Terrible decision, the game in Shanghai is for expats corporates to get p.ssed, nothing more... and Melboune Victory represent Australia most years now anyway in China, by qualifying for Asian Champions League soccer. THis smacks of a grab for Govt cash.
The last sentence may be true. The rest is absolute rubbish.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Gershwin
Club Player

Not sure there was any decision to be made. Pretty sure we were told.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Premium89
Club Player

minneapolis wrote: Fri 26 Oct 2018 1:28pm
dragit wrote: Thu 25 Oct 2018 6:36pm
minneapolis wrote: Thu 25 Oct 2018 1:12pm Well I am excited. My Aussie workmate and I have already agreed to take the train from BeiJing to ShangHai. I have never been to ShangHai. And it will be the first time I will watch the Saints live since Barry Breen was doing goal kicking practice.

I fly each month from Minneapolis to Beijing. It's not that bad. To say it is arduous is a complete farce. It get in at 5pm and am at work the next day at 9am with 12 hour time difference jet lag and can function OK.

Approach the situation with positive energy. Pick the right team. Make traditions. Use it as a bonding experience so that the players will be asking to go. Then kick on afterwards at a beach in Thailand for a couple of days with the WAGS. And bank the money.
That is amazing!

Hope you enjoy mate. 👍
Thanks Dragit. I know I will.

I work 30 days in BeiJing and then fly home for a few weeks. When I am in BeiJing I work the 30 days straight. It's not that bad but I am ready for a break when it's time to go home. This will be the first time I have taken any time off in China in 3 years. It will be like Christmas for me.

A fast train in business class. An AirBnb near the ground. And a big win for the Saints. Moist!
Jeez, ya even got me excited! And I’ll probably never go to China!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Psychosaint66
Club Player

sunsaint wrote: Thu 25 Oct 2018 11:14pm
desertsaint wrote: Thu 25 Oct 2018 5:29pm well i expected a bit more anger and depression. guess we've all moved on to acceptance.
that's healthy.
most have
And pharaoh enough too, I sphinx. :lol:

Image Cute but psycho. Things even out.
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Psychosaint66 wrote: Sat 27 Oct 2018 8:02pm
that's healthy.
most have
I see the game going two ways
Lose and there will be enough crocodile tears to fill Suez
Win and there will be plenty of hootin' n Tutun and yelling Kahmun to you port

Seeya
chico2001
Club Player

sunsaint wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 2:53pm
that's healthy.
most have
It will be an extremely tough ask to beat Port over there.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 2:53pm
that's healthy.
most have
Just need the Mummy there nose hoovering up the tomb dust😂😂

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

It’s a bit ground hog day’ish isn’t it.

We sell home games somewhere with a long term plan to attract members in a foreign market and make money.

2-3 years later we abandon the plan.

Maybe instead of making “the big move” we should focus that energy on getting the fundamentals right e.g. attracting supporters to our home games at Marvel