Should we let Newnes explore elsewhere?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Re: Should we let Newnes explore elsewhere?

He is a hbf not a winger not a defensive forward
Play him in the right position then see how his form goes

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

This is my opinion only, which feels strange to announce on a footy forum I know, however Jack Newnes has to be one of the most required players on our list. It can't all be à la carte, meat and three veg goes alright too.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Every list needs depth. Newnes provides that. If every supporter wanted every player to be of an A grade gun standard or there abouts, then 3/4's of a clubs list wouldn't exist.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Reckon Sydney would be happy to accept Newnes as a straight swap for Hannaburry.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

If Newnes was traded to another club. his absence would have no affect on the team, at all.

He won't be going anywhere, he'll be like Geelong's Menzel, no one wants him so he stays put.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
lefty
Club Player

No, Newnes is a good player, has been for many many years, has a poor first half because he's played out of position by the coach and it's all his fault. Yeah right....

bergsone
SS Life Member

Not in my best 22,gone backwards imo,so a change may be best for him and also benefit us as well,swap for Hanners would be happy with that

saintadamski
Club Player

Wayne42 wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 9:56pm If Newnes was traded to another club. his absence would have no affect on the team, at all.

He won't be going anywhere, he'll be like Geelong's Menzel, no one wants him so he stays put.
Agree - although I strongly believe Newnes leaving would make a difference - in the positive.

Younger players like Coffield will get more opportunity and grow.

Newnes will stay, as he has zero trade value...and he will dish up the same as always.

Savage and Newnes will be played from half back, and will cough the ball up consistently, while providing no tackling pressure, or X factor.

Once Richo is given his marching orders, they will no longer be safe IMO.

I find it amazing that a player that no other club would want at all, has so many fans here....bewildering.

groupie1
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 1:32pm
outside66 wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 10:19am I dont think so. Newnes is at his best when playing off the back flank/BP not on the wing or half forward where he was positioned for most of the year due to the arrival of Jimmy and games into the likes of Rice, Hunter, Coffield, D-Mac etc.

I would like to see Geary moved up the ground (considering he is the best runner at our club and is tough) either on the wing or in the guts, and Newnes sent back to the backline.
This is precisely what I've been thinking for ages re: Geary (but not on the wing - that position with the 6/6/6 will mean you need elite footskills out there to hit a forwrd target).

But Geary as a full time tagger. As in a negating player (I don't want him getting the ball). North deploy Jacobs well and WCE regularly use Hutchings that way (very effectively in the GF). There's a role for a pure lock down and Geary is perfect for it.

What Geary isn't perfect for however, is a small-ish running deep defender who's poor decision making and skill execution just slaughters us.
Agreed. midfield tagger may suite him a lot better. ANYTHING to prevent him getting the ball. TBH... I think we'd be better off trading him to a club looking for leadership, ala GC.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
barneyboyz
Club Player

saintadamski wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 2:41pm Many Newnes fans on here - not sure how or why...all you have to do is watch him play.

It's important to pretend that the player we're discussing is wearing another jumper - say Newnes played for Brisbane for example - not St Kilda

Now ask yourself: "Do I want this player wearing a Saints jumper"
It's called the empathy test

I can't imagine anyone (who is being honest with themselves) would want Newnes at the Saints

So I ask...why want him now?

I believe he is one of the poorest players I have seen in a long time.

I watched him closely at games...never going in hard, never being in the right position, never making plays, and sure as hell never effectively tackling. Also some atrocious turnovers.

I'd be over the moon to see him go....along with Geary, Weller, Armitage, and that whole raft of mediocre senior players.

It's truly the only way forward for this club.
I agree. He just never took hat next step from being a training beast to footballer, and there was some hype about him several years ago.

Gears has a place in our side, just so long as he doesn't have to kick a footy

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
groupie1
Club Player

I think sending Geary north would send a very strong signal.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 11:13am
mightysainters wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 11:05am Yes, he is a downhill skier who is soft as butter and we aren’t going downhill anytime soon.
If we Get a late 2nd rounder for him that would be a win
I’m not a big fan of Newnes but this post is keyboard warrior 101 stuff.

Soft as butter?
How many times has he been knocked out putting his head over the ball? I recall two.

Yes he’s no gun or super tough in AFL terms, but above is very poor from the poster.

That’s my opinion, he refuses to tackle and do any type of defensive pressure, so yes that’s my perception.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

saintadamski wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 4:44pm
Sainternist wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 4:38pm With Billy Slater now at the club, perhaps Newnes will be instructed to apply more defensive pressure and tackle harder.
An AFL player needs to be instructed to do that? really?
It was meant to be a joke, old boy! :)

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
elizabethr
Club Player

Dunno what Silly Billy Slater is execpected to do??

nothing to say
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

At his best Newnes is a C+ kind of player. He can win a decent amount of the footy but doesn't make very good decisions with it and isn't particularly accountable. Since his best positions are HB and wing I think we should move him on. We have Coffield, Clark, McKenzie, White, Phillips and Paton who all need experience in those roles and most of them clearly have a higher ceiling than Newnes. Continuing to play the likes of Newnes, Savage and Weller isn't going to help us get out of the bottom half of the ladder.

I would be actively shopping him around for a pick in the 30s. Given Port have just lost a starting wingman and half back they could use him.