Toughen up Sainters...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sanctorum
Club Player

Toughen up Sainters...

There is no question that St Kilda has had a horrible year and it is not surprising that this has led to many Saints members and supporters becoming despondent about the team's chances in 2019. Thus we see posts on this forum like "We are a laughing stock", and under almost every heading on this forum, contributors bemoan the performances of the coach, senior management and the board. Doom and gloom everywhere you look.

My advice to everyone who gripes and whinges about St Kilda - toughen up! Putting the proverbial boot into team and club individuals serves no useful purpose - the targets of this sort of vitriol and hate most certainly don't read the rubbish on this forum. If you really feel that bad about the Saints, jump ship and chase your dreams with another team.

Being a Saints supporter means developing a tough hide, and to be prepared to roll with the punches, to stay loyal to the club through good times and bad, unconditionally, to celebrate the successes and to accept defeats gracefully, and most of all "to NEVER EVER give up"!!

I encourage every true Saint to take a look at the video of Nick Riewoldt talking about his experiences as a Saints supporter, and to take heart from his message and put the negative thoughts away. Next year will be so much better, and as a supporter/member for 60 years I speak with considerable experience!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Re: Toughen up Sainters...

Some have the heart for it, some don't.
Good post.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
damienc
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Thu 04 Oct 2018 5:37pm There is no question that St Kilda has had a horrible year and it is not surprising that this has led to many Saints members and supporters becoming despondent about the team's chances in 2019. Thus we see posts on this forum like "We are a laughing stock", and under almost every heading on this forum, contributors bemoan the performances of the coach, senior management and the board. Doom and gloom everywhere you look.

My advice to everyone who gripes and whinges about St Kilda - toughen up! Putting the proverbial boot into team and club individuals serves no useful purpose - the targets of this sort of vitriol and hate most certainly don't read the rubbish on this forum. If you really feel that bad about the Saints, jump ship and chase your dreams with another team.

Being a Saints supporter means developing a tough hide, and to be prepared to roll with the punches, to stay loyal to the club through good times and bad, unconditionally, to celebrate the successes and to accept defeats gracefully, and most of all "to NEVER EVER give up"!!

I encourage every true Saint to take a look at the video of Nick Riewoldt talking about his experiences as a Saints supporter, and to take heart from his message and put the negative thoughts away. Next year will be so much better, and as a supporter/member for 60 years I speak with considerable experience!
Sorry. Being silent and accepting every dumb arsed decision this footy club makes like some Stepford wife doesn't a loyal Saints supporter make. I am a loyal Saints supporter. Have been for more than 50 years and I am still going to call it as I see it. But feel free to take the high moral ground.And nothing personal in my remarks.

Turbo
Club Player

Already signed up our membership for next year. Just look at who has won the last few Grand Finals and where they were the year before!
We are not that far away!
We live in hope.

Some time soon.
damienc
Club Player

Turbo wrote: Thu 04 Oct 2018 6:14pm Already signed up our membership for next year. Just look at who has won the last few Grand Finals and where they were the year before!
We are not that far away!
We live in hope.
Not that far away? We won 4.5 games of footy this year. But I admire your optimism. I just don't share it.

Choppa
Club Player

At least no players have expressed a desire to leave the Saints yet, unlike other clubs e.g. the suns

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

So for your penance: 40 years in the wilderness, give or take twelve, and a plague on your coaches. Can anyone seriously suggest we supporters are not tough. Doesn't mean we don't get thirsty. And it doesn't mean uncritical acceptance of coaches. Even Nick would give AR the boot if he could. I loved his video, he is an exceptionally multi talented man - if you hadn't already noticed. Having him in our corner makes me confident we can get through the Richo period relatively intact.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Thu 04 Oct 2018 6:06pm Some have the heart for it, some don't.
Good post.
Some are naive and gullible, and some aren’t.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

You know that one can talk about aspects that need addressing without giving up hope. That is my choice.

Some choose to follow blindly. That is their choice.

Some choose to lap up everything that any official at the club ever says. That is their choice.

However we have not just had a bad year. 2018 is the result of many at the club underperforming over a 4-5 year period. This is why there is so much angst at present.

Now people can choose to just ignore the faults and sweep them under the carpet, just like the St Kilda Officials and Board have en-masse been doing for much of the last 4-5 seasons, or one can choose to discuss the problems and for the club to then try and do something about them.

YES there have been some promising noises of late and some promising appointments. But why, oh, has the club been content to be happy with offield undperformance while they have slapped each other on the back about their Road to a Premiership Plan while boasting about being Top 4, being aggressive in Trade Week, landing Big Fish etc.

Personally after Wasteaway, Summers, Bain, Trout etc I no longer go by what they say or claim or how they thump their chests. I judge them by what is achieved.

We will know how Lethlean has gone by the end of the trade period.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Thu 04 Oct 2018 7:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saint6709
Club Player

Why would anyone in this world be encouraged to stand patiently in line and gratefully accept whatever mediocrity that is dished out to them ?

People should be encouraged to fight for change for the better

It is clear the coaching was not up to scratch this year - if the fans do not voice their concerns through whatever means are available, including online forums then nothing much will change - if you are ok with that - so be it

But if you are not happy with the current situation I would encourage you to take action - even if that action is only posting in a fan forum - do what you can and what you are willing to do if you want any sort of change

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

So you’re saying to be a ‘true supporter’ you must blindly accept mediocrity?

Rubbish.

You are allowed to criticise something you love and recognise when it can do better, whether that’s your footy team, country etc.

You’re just spouting more of that ‘love it or leave it’ bogan mentality garbage.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
guitars4
Club Player

saint6709 wrote: Thu 04 Oct 2018 7:01pm Why would anyone in this world be encouraged to stand patiently in line and gratefully accept whatever mediocrity that is dished out to them ?

People should be encouraged to fight for change for the better

It is clear the coaching was not up to scratch this year - if the fans do not voice their concerns through whatever means are available, including online forums then nothing much will change - if you are ok with that - so be it

But if you are not happy with the current situation I would encourage you to take action - even if that action is only posting in a fan forum - do what you can and what you are willing to do if you want any sort of change
I agree I'm still loyal have no intention of supporting another club but to just sit back & except the absolute rubbish they dished up at times is wrong IMO. I've been a supporter for over 50 years & a member for about 30 years & I think it's my right to be critical of their performance when it warranted .

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Thu 04 Oct 2018 6:59pm You know that one can talk about aspects that need addressing without giving up hope. That is my choice.

Some choose to follow blindly. That is their choice.

Some choose to lap up everything that any official at the club ever says. That is their choice.

However we have not just had a bad year. 2018 is the result of many at the club underperforming over a 4-5 year period. This is why there is so much angst at present.

Now people can choose to just ignore the faults and sweep them under the carpet, just like the St Kilda Officials and Board have en-masse been doing for much of the last 4-5 seasons, or one can choose to discuss the problems and for the club to then try and do something about them.

YES there have been some promising noises of late and some promising appointments. But why, oh, has the club been content to be happy with offield undperformance while they have slapped each other on the back about their Road to a Premiership Plan while boasting about being Top 4, being aggressive in Trade Week, landing Big Fish etc.

Personally after Wasteaway, Summers, Bain, Trout etc I no longer go by what they say or claim or how they thump their chests. I judge them by what is achieved.

We will know how Lethlean has gone by the end of the trade period.
Couldn't you mount an argument to suggest the club haven't been content or happy in the past few months and have made some changes in response to performance not meeting planned outcomes?

Ajantis
Club Player

I am prepared to see st.kilda get dragged through the pain for the next how many years, and in the end i think we can make it back like we did many years ago.
Stop saying remove this player and that coach and so on, just stick it out, if you are that frustrated dont become a member and watch the a game or follow another team.
If we have $$ lets spend it, stop acting like its our money, let the club make there own decisions and hopefully for the better.

Cheers

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 04 Oct 2018 7:07pm So you’re saying to be a ‘true supporter’ you must blindly accept mediocrity?

Rubbish.

You are allowed to criticise something you love and recognise when it can do better, whether that’s your footy team, country etc.

You’re just spouting more of that ‘love it or leave it’ bogan mentality garbage.
Nice work, Dudmeister.

👍

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Leaders need to toughen up...
Sack Richo and appoint Ratten....just do it.

Nee!
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Disagree. If anything, I think it’s absolute crap.

So to be a “true” supporter is to applaud mediocrity? If I criticise the current government and PM, does that make me a bad Australian?

I don’t applaud it, I call it for what it is, bad management. Bad management from an incompetent board who have spent the last 5 years beating their chests and telling all fans to get on board, because the club is on the road to greatness. Now, 5 years after they hatched out their famous “Road To 2018” success plan, the club’s rebuild close to a bust, $12 million in debt, contractually stuck with a coach with an appalling win-loss record and no star player on market wanting to touch us.

This is the current state of the club and it’s been brought to this point by some highly paid administrators who were key decision makers during this process.

Bad management is warrant of criticism and needs to be held to account, not patted on the back and being told “good on you for having a crack.”

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Thu 04 Oct 2018 7:33pm

Couldn't you mount an argument to suggest the club haven't been content or happy in the past few months and have made some changes in response to performance not meeting planned outcomes?
Which is why I wrote: YES there have been some promising noises of late and some promising appointments.

But:

1/ Why cannot we discuss it?
2/ Apart from the highly rated Ratten joining, and to a lesser extent the average rated Lade not a lot has been delivered.

If they gain Hanners for a second round or less then that will be good. But again what cannot we discuss it?

Way too many at the club have been content and asleep at the wheel for way too long. YES they now seem to be waking up and are now starting to move in the right direction. BUT the club has wasted years.

All the momentum from the "naughties" has been in the main squandered. Ineptitude has been widespread and way to many L-Plate appointments have been made and are continuing to be made. ie Our new List Manager does not have any real experience for the job that he was hired for. There as been way too many of these "leap of faith" appointments.

Hopefully serious change will continue. It needs to. However for example while we have a new President, there has been no real change to Board indicated. And for a Board as poor as our current Board has been that is simply not good enough.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Fri 05 Oct 2018 9:13am, edited 1 time in total.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Choppa wrote: Thu 04 Oct 2018 6:30pm At least no players have expressed a desire to leave the Saints yet, unlike other clubs e.g. the suns
Why would they? All our players are surely overpaid and most wouldn't get games at other clubs

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

kumbaya

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

A forward takes a contested mark 40m out directly in front.

He lines up, and hits the post

Some people will say that’s a terrible shot, others will say well it was a good effort

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Choppa wrote: Thu 04 Oct 2018 6:30pm At least no players have expressed a desire to leave the Saints yet, unlike other clubs e.g. the suns
although gresh sounds a bit undecided (sadly)

Sanctorum
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Thu 04 Oct 2018 10:06pm
Cairnsman wrote: Thu 04 Oct 2018 7:33pm

Which is why I wrote: YES there have been some promising noises of late and some promising appointments.

But:

1/ Why cannot we discuss it?
2/ Apart from the highly rated Ratten joining, and to a lesser extent the average rated Lade not a lot has been delivered.

If they gain Hanners for a second round or less then that will be good. But again what cannot we discuss it?

Way too many at the club have been content and asleep at the wheel for way too long. YES they now seem to be waking up and are now starting to move in the right direction. BUT the club has wasted years.

All the momentum from the "naughties" has been in the main squandered. Ineptitude has been widespread and way to many L-Plate appointments have been made and are continuing to be made. ie Our new List Manager does not have any real experience for the job that he was hired for. There as been way too many of these "leap of faith" appointments.

Hopefully serious change will continue. It needs to. However for example while we have a new President, there has been no real change to Board indicated. And for a Board as poor as our current Board has been that is simply not good enough.
Far be it for me to suggest we should not discuss the failures of our club, but we should do so without bitterness and in a pro-active way.

My reading of the problems with the coaching strategies has pinpointed the anomaly of St Kilda having a Director of Coaching who has been at the club for 12 years, yet has never played at the elite level and surely deserves to have his continued employment questioned. In regard to this matter, I have written to a director of the club suggesting that if Danny Sexton continues in this role next year the club needs to give its reasons for this to members and supporters, no less than they have done in stating their continued confidence in Allan Richardson. I have not received a response, but that's to be expected.....we'll see what the full outcome of the Lethlean review into the operations of the football department brings.

If I lived in Melbourne, I would certainly make it my business to attend the AGM to seek an explanation about this specific matter, and I would hope Melbourne based members will do likewise about matters they feel warrant answers.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Fri 05 Oct 2018 10:07am
Far be it for me to suggest we should not discuss the failures of our club, but we should do so without bitterness and in a pro-active way.

My reading of the problems with the coaching strategies has pinpointed the anomaly of St Kilda having a Director of Coaching who has been at the club for 12 years, yet has never played at the elite level and surely deserves to have his continued employment questioned. In regard to this matter, I have written to a director of the club suggesting that if Danny Sexton continues in this role next year the club needs to give its reasons for this to members and supporters, no less than they have done in stating their continued confidence in Allan Richardson. I have not received a response, but that's to be expected.....we'll see what the full outcome of the Lethlean review into the operations of the football department brings.

If I lived in Melbourne, I would certainly make it my business to attend the AGM to seek an explanation about this specific matter, and I would hope Melbourne based members will do likewise about matters they feel warrant answers.
The Sexton elevation to Director of Coaching is symptomatic of what the Saints have been doing wrong. ie Not appointing candidate with enough experience and runs on the board for positions they gain.

After coaching at the Calder Cannons and the Northern Knights in the TAC Cup competition, Sexton joined St Kilda Football Club as a development coach in 2006. After two years, Sexton transitioned into the role of development manager, during which he oversaw the development and welfare programs for two years. After a brief stint as opposition analyst, Sexton was once again on the coaching front line, taking care of the backline as assistant coach in 2012 and 2013, before incorporating the midfield in 2014. In 2015, Sexton was appointed Director of Coaching, a position he still holds

A Director of Coaching needs to have a better resume than that.

Our new List Manager joined as from a sales role at a bank.

Trout got to play as the most important figure in our recruiting/drafting despite having no demonstrated background in that role.

Bains was good when he stuck to contracts and achieved the rebalancing our list payment wise so that we were no longer hamstrung with player payments (TICK!). However due to that success he was then allowed to dabble on the recruitment/drafting side for which he was no better suited or skilled than your average fanboy (FAIL).

Our track record of appointing the right person to the right job in recent years has not been good.

Hopefully Ratten and others make a fora change in this. Lethlean has been making some promising moves, but needs to deliver. And if he does land Mitchell as an assistant and at least one more quality player besides Hanners (at no more than the cost of a second rounder) then he will gain a TICK from me.

Sexton. Yes the mind boggles.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

We've had a tough year - a lot of things didn't go right for us, but there still were a few that did.

Steele took his game to the next level this year - and joined Roberton and Membrey as players who have crossed over to our club and have taken their game to a whole new level.
Logan Austin similarly took his game to the next level - he was only averaging 6-7 possessions/game at Port Adelaide with 89% game time and is now averaging 19.7 possessions per game with us!!!

We should look at some of these positives - it's not all gloom and doom. We are doing some things right.