Monster deal for Dylan Shiel

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Re: Monster deal for Dylan Shiel

Couple of things to remember. One its true we are going after him but the years and amount at this time is not known. It's speculation.
We are also going after others like Wingard as well for unknown amounts
We will have to pay overs for anyone of note but it could have a knock on effect ie once one gun comes and we play better others are more likely to follow so it's like paying a early joining bonus. Also the recruiting team can't win with some here on ss. They either can't land talent so they complain or they go hard to land guns and they complain. Pick one

saint-stu
Club Player

Sainter_Dad wrote:
SydneySainter wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 5:34pm
Sainter_Dad wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 4:11pm
saint-stu wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 4:07pm
iwantmeseats wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 10:28am
saintadamski wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 10:13am
iwantmeseats wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 9:59am so you just pay bulls*** money because thats what it takes?
Yeah ok.
whatever.
What's your solution then??
Name a decent player we wouldn't have to pay this much money to , to come to the sheizen saints??!

I personally don't think even this much money will lure him.
Our club is currently a joke
I totally agree with that. Personally youd only come to the saints for $$$, there is simply no other reason.
I dont have the answers.
Personally, I think we have to take a hit, again, and do a few years at the bottom.
There is no propping up this team, its a lost cause, you almost have to go back to nothing and start again.
Now many here will disagree and abuse me, but whatever....this is what happens when the club is run like a 3rd division park football social club.
You pay the price.
Why is everyone so hung up on how much we spend on getting better players in? Why does it matter?

We have to spend a minimum cap. Who are we going to spend it on? Poeple keep saying, "let's get a match winner", "he's not worth that much", well no one else is going to come. If you want to get a player that will improve the team, this is the only way.
Because paying stupid money to someone to get them in means that home grown talent does not get the $$$'s and they look elsewhere. It is not just the getting, it is the keeping.

Gresh may get an offer from elsewhere, look at the amount he is currently getting, know that there is no way we can match it, and decide to seek greener pastures.

It is true that we have to pay it - but if you spread the green, everyone is happier.

Of course if the deal gets a premiership, then all players benefit, but at this stage of our development, I do not think the players are looking towards a premiership, rather more so to their own nests and how expensive it is to feather them!
I see your point, but with the exception of Gresh, who else on our list possibly deserves a star pay increase?

We can't go back to the post grand final years when we were paying 100% salary cap on a list that was well into their decline.
LOL - in the next 7 years of the Shiel contract??

Hunter
Gresh
Membrey
Pierce
Marshall
Acres
Coff
Steele
Carlisle

+1 for "We can't go back to the post grand final years when we were paying 100% salary cap on a list that was well into their decline." but you are recommending that we pay a large chunk of cash to Shiel with no knowledge of what the future holds.

FWIW - I am all for throwing the kitchen sink at Shiel (more so than Hanners) and think that with the injection of some real talent, others in the club will stand up and walk a bit taller - so I guess I am playing Devil's Advocate. My issue is when people say - Why not pay it - we have to pay it anyway - in relation to contracts that span 5+ years. I would hate to lose 2 A graders (the only players seriously targeted) in an attempt to keep an A+ player - I guess I subscribe to the moneyball theory.
Most of those players have not shown they are or will be A grade except maybe Gresh and Carlisle. Many of them show promise, but that's it so far. Shiel is ready made A grader. So who are we going to spend all this cap on? It can't be those guys.

1ac46a38
takeaway
Club Player

He is probably an long shot anyway, but I am not convinced about Shiel - A grader, but will cost us in our draft position this and possibly next year. Pick 4 is very valuable in this draft, I think I would keep it. We may be using future 2nd round for Hannebury, can you use a future first as well? Not that that would be advisable. A player that GWS want would lessen the effect on the draft, but who?

Depends who else we are chasing and the chances of getting them - maybe Devon Smith types would be better.

As a secondary issue there is also the high $$$ required, and as others have said the effect in the short or long term on the other players may be a problem. Sydney is now bursting principally due to the Buddy contract, and how many of the really elite and high $$$ players brought in have led to a flag? Buddy - no, Dangerfield - no, Treloar - no (hopefully not this year). Boyd - yes, but he wasn't elite when he was traded, and has played about 2 good games, one of which was the grand final, which they may have won anyway without him. Lynch is a good get by the tigers, but even then they will have to adjust their successful game plan to cater for 2 permanent big forwards and less manic smalls. Later squeeze on salary cap may be an issue as well.

Shiel would be great, but is the cost worth it.

saint-stu
Club Player

Is it worth it? After the year we just had, this is a no brainer in my opinion.

1ac46a38
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Not sure the Sheil deal counts as a monster if we are giving Hannebury $800k per season.
Sounds about right in comparison, Sheil is what Hannebury was about 5 or 6 years ago.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Put him on a hugely front-ended long term contract, simple.

By the time others deserve big money he’ll be getting paid a much more reasonable amount.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
stonecold
SS Life Member

The_Dud wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 6:48pm Put him on a hugely front-ended long term contract, simple.

By the time others deserve big money he’ll be getting paid a much more reasonable amount.
Now there's a thought, stop making sense!!!!! ;)

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 6:48pm Put him on a hugely front-ended long term contract, simple.

This make much more sense

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
chico2001
Club Player

Remember that when Franklin , Dangerfield et al crossed clubs they went from very good clubs to clubs on the rise and I speak of Sydney, Geelong and Melbourne in the case of Rivers, the exception being Lynch from GC. They were all chasing flags, wanted to return home or wanted a super payout from a sucker club. Which one is Shiel if he gets to the saints? Would he be seriously expecting to win a flag in the next 3 years. He is at a club on the rise now. Like I have said previously, lethlean will get hannebery

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Offer pick 4 and next years second rounder. Makes the deal very similar to what the Pies paid for Treloar (Pick 7 and the next years first rounder with a second round coming back).
That is paying high but about right for an absolute star of the game.
Front-end the deal majorly with a massive sign-on bonus (say 2m first year with 1m of it upfront).
Sign the deal a million in the hand is a pretty tempting deal.
1.3m a year for 7 years is 9.1m that is enormous money and will put him up there in the top 5 for the AFL probably.
Front-end 2m each year fro the first 2 that still gives a mill a year for the next 5 it is monopoly money.

See if that gets him across the line.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 6:02pm He is probably an long shot anyway, but I am not convinced about Shiel - A grader, but will cost us in our draft position this and possibly next year. Pick 4 is very valuable in this draft, I think I would keep it. We may be using future 2nd round for Hannebury, can you use a future first as well? Not that that would be advisable. A player that GWS want would lessen the effect on the draft, but who?

Depends who else we are chasing and the chances of getting them - maybe Devon Smith types would be better.

As a secondary issue there is also the high $$$ required, and as others have said the effect in the short or long term on the other players may be a problem. Sydney is now bursting principally due to the Buddy contract, and how many of the really elite and high $$$ players brought in have led to a flag? Buddy - no, Dangerfield - no, Treloar - no (hopefully not this year). Boyd - yes, but he wasn't elite when he was traded, and has played about 2 good games, one of which was the grand final, which they may have won anyway without him. Lynch is a good get by the tigers, but even then they will have to adjust their successful game plan to cater for 2 permanent big forwards and less manic smalls. Later squeeze on salary cap may be an issue as well.

Shiel would be great, but is the cost worth it.
We have already said 'sayonara' to 7 players, only one of whom was a regular senior player this season. Most on here would think that there are probably at least 3 more uncontracted players, who were regulars, or semi-regulars, who will leave or be traded during the trade period after the finals.
There is also a question mark over Dylan health-wise - fingers crossed he comes back.
The Eagles are interested in Hick, the Cats in Stuv and Billy apparently, and there have been rumours about Acres allegedly viewing a return to WA.
Obviously, we'd be unlucky if all of these things happened, but I think given that if only the 7 players who have already left are the only ones who leave, that leaves us with the same starting 22 as last year. Given we only won 4 games, that isn't going to fly.
I would suggest at least 11 players on the 2018 list will not be there in 2019, and that means they have to be replaced. Given we only have two real picks in the draft, and one of them is 57 or something, the club must try to bring in some real talent, which Shiel certainly is, so that we are a realistic chance of winning a few games next season.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

samuraisaint wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 10:12pm Obviously, we'd be unlucky if all of these things happened, but I think given that if only the 7 players who have already left are the only ones who leave, that leaves us with the same starting 22 as last year. Given we only won 4 games, that isn't going to fly.
You gotta remember we had a fair chunk of our best 22 sitting in the stands in 2018. So assuming Hanners is happening, and he gets some sort of preseason in, you are probably adding our best defender in Roberton, our 2nd best forward in Bruce, and a 200 game 3-time All Aus mid, to our 22 from 2018. That’s a good start.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 7:53pm Offer pick 4 and next years second rounder. Makes the deal very similar to what the Pies paid for Treloar (Pick 7 and the next years first rounder with a second round coming back).
That is paying high but about right for an absolute star of the game.
Front-end the deal majorly with a massive sign-on bonus (say 2m first year with 1m of it upfront).
Sign the deal a million in the hand is a pretty tempting deal.
1.3m a year for 7 years is 9.1m that is enormous money and will put him up there in the top 5 for the AFL probably.
Front-end 2m each year fro the first 2 that still gives a mill a year for the next 5 it is monopoly money.

See if that gets him across the line.
Too much. Prefer Rankine for 200K.
10-12 year player vs 5-7 year player.
Offer that Godfather deal to Wingard as a FA next year.

Nee!
chico2001
Club Player

Its better than a kick in the arse thats for sure. Although we would be playing some of the younger recruits as well, they would have had another pre-season. Roberton and Bruce coming off serious illness. There will be other recruits to add which should improve the side. You would bloody hope so.

Wombat15
Club Player

The_President wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 12:11am
Linton Lodger wrote: Tue 11 Sep 2018 11:17pm We need to show Shiel around Brighton, Sandringham, Hampton, Beaumaris etc, a magnificent part of the world. Then ask him if he really wants to live in Brunswick, Tullamarine, Waverley or indeed the sh*thole that is Western Sydney!
Grew up on the Peninsula region
Bayside*

Massive Carlton fan growing up.

Rocket
Club Player

What about Gaff?

He is the guy we should be after. Why Kangas ?

Seriously we are paying who ? We should have bags and bags of money. Kangas are paying Ziebell, Cunnington, Brown, Tarrant etc. who are we paying Jack S and Jake C.

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

In his career Shiel has kicked 61.73

Just what we need... another inacurate kick for goal!!

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Rocket wrote: Thu 13 Sep 2018 12:53pm What about Gaff?

He is the guy we should be after. Why Kangas ?

Seriously we are paying who ? We should have bags and bags of money. Kangas are paying Ziebell, Cunnington, Brown, Tarrant etc. who are we paying Jack S and Jake C.
Ahh no. Add another two - Roberton and Hickey. And Hickey is above Roberton. :evil:

Go you red, black & white warriors
suss
Club Player

Vid on the AFL Website has Hawthorn as front runners for Shiel. How annoying.

Fingers crossed that Lethers is working on this kid. He'd be ideal for us.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Would probably cost 2 x 1st rounders. This year and next. Might change if a Saint goes north though.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
St Loxton
Club Player

Terry Wallace on SEN indicating he believes Shiel wants to stay in Sydney. Possibly to get to the swans.

Throw the coin at Toby Greene, my thoughts only.

Ajantis
Club Player

St Loxton wrote: Fri 14 Sep 2018 2:07pm Terry Wallace on SEN indicating he believes Shiel wants to stay in Sydney. Possibly to get to the swans.

With sydney delisting a few it seems like they have something cooking.
They are upto something, just like they did with franklin.

Cheers

dragit
Saintsational Legend

If Sydney get Shiel and we get hanners instead… I give up.

Whiskey
Club Player

It ll happen. Sydney always get the best players... and get rid of their duds... not that hannebury is a dud, but hes well past it and exactly what we dont need

dragit
Saintsational Legend

They should pop the beyond blue phone number in the membership packs. FMD.