Jack Lonie under pursuit by up to 4 clubs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jack Lonie under pursuit by up to 4 clubs

bigred wrote: Tue 04 Sep 2018 1:15pm I'm his biggest critic....Quite seriously...I have made meme's about Jack Lonie.

He deserves one year. That is as far as I can stretch it. He had a good last month.

He wants multiple years. We don't need the list clogged.

I cant see how we can hold onto him if someone else want to give him some more security.
Can't see any issues with giving him 2 years on current form given how many spots on our list are opening up:

Gone
Stevens, Freeman, Wright, Conellan, Goddard

Going 2019 or earlier…
Brown, Gilbert, Minchington, Longer, Weller, Armitage, Geary*

That's 12 spots without any trades out…

Other players that need to get going if they want to continue their careers: White, Rice, McKenzie, Savage, Dunstan, Bruce

So half the list is currently up in the air for 2020.

guitars4
Club Player

bigred wrote: Tue 04 Sep 2018 1:15pm I'm his biggest critic....Quite seriously...I have made meme's about Jack Lonie.

He deserves one year. That is as far as I can stretch it. He had a good last month.

He wants multiple years. We don't need the list clogged.

I cant see how we can hold onto him if someone else want to give him some more security.
Totally agree I'm not a big fan but did enough to earn another year .If another club is prepared to offer more than that I think let him walk.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Constantly in and out of the team, finally gets a string of games and plays well.

Is one of the few in the team that can kick.

Has started to show the sort of form he has consistently shown in the two's, as he hit the magic 50 game mark.

Played only 11 games but was 4th on 2018 list of goals.
Kicked more goals than Billings in 10 less games.
Kicked more goals than Paddy.

At that average, if he played the same amount of games as Gresh and Membrey he would've been only a goal or two short of them.
Lonie 11 games 16 goals
Gresh 22 games 35 goals
Membrey 20 games 34 goals
https://australianfootball.com/clubs/st ... da/12/2018

Is one of the few with any spark and character.
Has had no injury problems.

But we'll keep Minch instead, who never gets on the park and gets the ball less, and get some spud at pick 34 who plays 10 games.

Give him two years FFS.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Tend to agree, should be a no-brainer to give him 2 years...or just tell him outright he's not required. If the latter is the case, why have we consistently injected him into the team at every opportunity over the last 2-3 seasons?

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Trade him while he has currency

Nee!
degruch
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote: Tue 04 Sep 2018 3:45pm Trade him while he has currency
He has no currency to us, he's out of contract. Sign him for 2 years or let him go.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

degruch wrote: Tue 04 Sep 2018 3:02pm Tend to agree, should be a no-brainer to give him 2 years...or just tell him outright he's not required. If the latter is the case, why have we consistently injected him into the team at every opportunity over the last 2-3 seasons?
I agree. Thought he was starting to show some good consistent footy the last month of the season. Should be played just as a pure forward pocket type under the feet of Marshall and Battle.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

think there's likely a few our our youngsters clubs will cast an eye over. it's common knowledge we stalled their development, the club admitted as much. so others will see them as bargain basement risks that they will be able to turn into better footballers.
lonie, acres, dunstan, sinclair, billings - all likely to become much better players elsewhere.
hopefully we can keep them and develop them. if we can't do the latter we shouldn't worry about the former.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
takeaway
Club Player

degruch wrote: Tue 04 Sep 2018 3:52pm
fugazi wrote: Tue 04 Sep 2018 3:45pm Trade him while he has currency
He has no currency to us, he's out of contract. Sign him for 2 years or let him go.
I don't think he would be out of contract until after trade period, so would have currency unless delisted before the trade period. Club would be waiting to see what the trade period brings.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Channel 7 reporting Brisbane have offered him 3 year deal!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
saint6709
Club Player

stonecold wrote: Tue 04 Sep 2018 8:08pm Channel 7 reporting Brisbane have offered him 3 year deal!!!!!
Maybe he is the jack straight swap with Beames :lol:

guitars4
Club Player

saint6709 wrote: Tue 04 Sep 2018 8:32pm
stonecold wrote: Tue 04 Sep 2018 8:08pm Channel 7 reporting Brisbane have offered him 3 year deal!!!!!
Maybe he is the jack straight swap with Beames :lol:
Gold !!! :D

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Swap him for 3rd rounder. If lucky, a 2nd rounder. He was pick 40 something so a 2nd rounder would be nice. Maybe even throw in Mav Weller.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
DJ Higgins
Club Player

again we get nothing for him. He is out of contract. All that we get is salary space. But if you listen to the article it said "up to 3 year" so it may only be for a year or 2. He would be crazy not to take the contract as he would be a fool to end up with nothing

amusingname
Club Player

DJ Higgins wrote: Tue 04 Sep 2018 9:45pm again we get nothing for him. He is out of contract. All that we get is salary space. But if you listen to the article it said "up to 3 year" so it may only be for a year or 2. He would be crazy not to take the contract as he would be a fool to end up with nothing
He is not a free agent though as he hasn’t been playing for long enough, so can’t walk to wherever he wants without us delisting him, otherwise he has to take his chances in the draft. Granted if he wants to get to Brisbane it would be easier than other clubs, but would be more likely as a trade for a 3rd or 4th round pick to make things easy for all parties.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

amusingname wrote: Tue 04 Sep 2018 9:56pm
DJ Higgins wrote: Tue 04 Sep 2018 9:45pm again we get nothing for him. He is out of contract. All that we get is salary space. But if you listen to the article it said "up to 3 year" so it may only be for a year or 2. He would be crazy not to take the contract as he would be a fool to end up with nothing
He is not a free agent though as he hasn’t been playing for long enough, so can’t walk to wherever he wants without us delisting him, otherwise he has to take his chances in the draft. Granted if he wants to get to Brisbane it would be easier than other clubs, but would be more likely as a trade for a 3rd or 4th round pick to make things easy for all parties.
Restricted free agents have the right to move to a club of their choice, subject to the current club’s right of first refusal over their services. That is, if the current club can ‘match’ the offer from a suitor club, the player must stay or enter the draft. The tabled offer includes only football payments and Additional Service Agreements (ASA) amounts.

So if we don't match the offer he can go? Or am i missing something. i am not an expert on this. I doubt we will match a 3 year deal so he will leave for free?

guitars4
Club Player

I have already stated that he deserves another year even though I'm not his greatest fan . If he works his butt off next year & can prove he really deserves a better contract I would have no issue . He has been on our list for over 3 years & hasn't
really cut the mustard & has played a handful of good games at the end of the season when there was nothing on the line !! I really don't think he should hold the whip hand. Players become too complacent when they get a longer contract IMO.

amusingname
Club Player

DJ Higgins wrote: Tue 04 Sep 2018 11:47pm
Restricted free agents have the right to move to a club of their choice, subject to the current club’s right of first refusal over their services. That is, if the current club can ‘match’ the offer from a suitor club, the player must stay or enter the draft. The tabled offer includes only football payments and Additional Service Agreements (ASA) amounts.

So if we don't match the offer he can go? Or am i missing something. i am not an expert on this. I doubt we will match a 3 year deal so he will leave for free?
You only become a free agent, restricted or unrestricted, after you have been at your club for a certain period of time which I think is 7 or 8 years. Before then you can leave by trade or being delisted and signing elsewhere as a delisted free agent, as we did with roberton. We may delist if we don’t want him at all, but otherwise a trade would be the best result if he wants out.
Last edited by amusingname on Wed 05 Sep 2018 12:06am, edited 1 time in total.

takeaway
Club Player

DJ Higgins wrote: Tue 04 Sep 2018 11:47pm

As I understand it he is not a free or restricted free agent. He is a contracted player till November 2018. We can delist him, in which case he is free to go to any club. Or we can trade him during the trade period for a pick/player, or offer him a new contract. So unless he is delisted he won't leave for free within the time frame to Nov 18. That is how I see it. If wrong I stand corrected.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

So we put four or five (sometimes very frustrating) years into Lonie, then when he gets some confidence and strings the best half dozen matches of his career together, starts kicking straight, rates high for pressure acts and score assists we decide to trade him?

Doesn't make sense to me unless you are Warren Buffett :twisted:

The kid is a good trainer and works hard on his game, he got back in the team by performing at the lower level, keep the kid, keep the faith and he will play good footy over the next few years.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

so ask for a second round pick then.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Wed 05 Sep 2018 10:07am So we put four or five (sometimes very frustrating) years into Lonie, then when he gets some confidence and strings the best half dozen matches of his career together, starts kicking straight, rates high for pressure acts and score assists we decide to trade him?

The kid is a good trainer and works hard on his game, he got back in the team by performing at the lower level, keep the kid, keep the faith and he will play good footy over the next few years.
Not how we roll,

It’s stupid to base selection on form or work rate

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Wed 05 Sep 2018 10:07am So we put four or five (sometimes very frustrating) years into Lonie, then when he gets some confidence and strings the best half dozen matches of his career together, starts kicking straight, rates high for pressure acts and score assists we decide to trade him?

Agree. Just started to show some results from years of being on the fringe. Not the time to be trading him. Time to encourage him further.

Liam_G
Club Player

Saints have no plans to offer him a new contract. Brisbane are front runners.

Junior
Club Player

If I was Lonie and had an offer of three years I would bite their hand off, doubt he gets it anywhere else.

Think he did enough for us to offer at least two years but no way three.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.