2018 draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

2018 draft

I stopped after the first ten.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... d18586c028

"GARY BUCKENARA’S TOP 30 DRAFT PROSPECTS

1. JACK LUKOSIUS

Key forward, 194cm, 85kg, Woodville-West Torrens

Buckenara says: Lukosius has so much talent. He has a beautiful and relaxed kicking action, which is crucial as a goalkicker and is very athletic. He showed why he’s one of the favourites to be taken with the No.1 pick when he dominated the first game of the under-18 championships against Western Australia, highlighting his range of skills and versatility. I’ve rated Lukosius as my No.1 pick at this stage of the year because he’s one of the most exciting talls to come onto the scene for some time. He moves across the ground really well, reads the play and I believe he’s going to be a very good AFL player for a long time.

Plays like: Tom Lynch (Gold Coast)

2. SAM WALSH

Midfielder, 183cm, 74kg, Geelong Falcons

Buckenara says: A lightly framed outside midfielder at this stage, Walsh competes well in the contest and once he’s added more strength in an AFL system he’ll get even better. He’s got nice skills, is a good decision-maker and will no doubt be taken very early.

Plays like: Joel Selwood (Geelong)
Sam Walsh in action for Vic Country.
Izak Rankine in action for West Adelaide. Picture: Tom Huntley

3. IZAK RANKINE

Midfielder, 180cm, 76kg, West Adelaide

Buckenara says: Rankine is one of the most exciting players in this draft. He really stands out because he’s got pace and skill and uses that to great effect to hit-up teammates with his precise kicking and hits the scoreboard. He’s a gamebreaker. Rankine played senior SANFL footy last year and starred in the 2017 championships as an underage player, while he was also outstanding in this year’s carnival, particularly in the win over Vic Metro when he was best on ground after kicking five goals, including three in the first quarter. He’s a lock to be taken very early in this draft.

Plays like: Jaeger O’Meara (Hawthorn)

4. BEN KING

Key forward/defender, 202cm, 85kg, Sandringham Dragons

Buckenara says: The King twins are both outstanding prospects but I’d have Ben just ahead of his brother. He played mostly down back earlier this year until Max suffered a serious knee injury and was moved into a key forward role where he’s impressed. That move certainly hasn’t done any damage to his reputation as one of the best players in this draft and really, has only added to his appeal given he has excelled at both ends of the ground. Ben can also help out in the ruck, is a good kick, has great hands in the air and is very athletic for his size.

Plays like: Tom Lynch (Gold Coast)
Brothers Max and Ben King are both top 10 draft prospects. Picture: Michael Klein

5. BAILEY SMITH

Midfielder, 184cm, 79kg, Sandringham Dragons

Buckenara says: Smith is an elite decision-maker who reads the play really well and has a good outside game. His running ability is strong, which allows him to get on his bike, create space and be a dangerous option in transition. He’s a very smart footballer.

Plays like: Josh Kelly (GWS)

6. NICK BLAKEY

Forward/midfielder, 195cm, 85kg, NSW-ACT/Sydney Swans Academy

Buckenara says: The son of former Fitzroy and North Melbourne player John Blakey, Nick is versatile in that he can play all over the ground whether it be midfield, forward or defence. He’s a tremendous athlete and a very smart footballer and has chosen the Swans as his desired destination as an academy selection. He’s a potential star and it’s a huge bonus for Sydney.

Plays like: Patrick Cripps (Carlton)

7. TARRYN THOMAS

Midfielder, 189cm, 73kg, North Launceston

Buckenara says: An exciting playmaker, Thomas looks to be a very good prospect. Watch him closely through the midfield – he’s a smart decision-maker and a very clever player. He’s available to North Melbourne as a Next Generation Academy player.

Plays like: Shaun Burgoyne (Hawthorn)
Tarryn Thomas in action for Tasmania. Picture: Matt Thompson

8. MAX KING

Key forward, 201cm, 84kg, Sandringham Dragons

Buckenara says: Despite undergoing a knee reconstruction earlier this year after tearing his ACL, Max, like his twin brother, is one of the top prospects in this draft. He’s got too much talent to be overlooked early because of his injury and I’ve got no doubt a club will swoop in the top-10. He’ll develop into a key forward/ruckman at AFL level, with his athleticism one of the key aspects of his game. He’s a nice kick, a good mark and is also pretty dangerous at ground level despite his size.

P lays like: Tom Lynch (Gold Coast)

9. JACKSON HATELY

Half-forward, 190cm, 81kg, Central District

Buckenara says: After a good under-18 carnival, Hately has continued his impressive form at SANFL level and pushed himself up the draft order. The big-bodied high half-forward should have a lot of admirers because he’s a bit of an all-rounder in that he finds the ball, uses it pretty well and can also hit the scoreboard.

Plays like: Tom Lynch (Adelaide)

10. BAILEY WILLIAMS

Key forward/ruckman, 198cm, 95kg, Dandenong Stingrays

Buckenara says: Williams is a big boy at 198cm and 95kg but also has great athleticism. At this stage he’s still a bit of a project player but my crystal ball tells me he will be a highly sought after forward/ruckman for the future.

Plays like: Patrick Ryder (Port Adelaide)

older saint
SS Life Member

Re: 2018 draft

seems at this stage:
1. Carlton -Walsh
2. - GC- Lukosius
3. - GC - Ben King ( Lynch)
4 - Stk- Rankine

Have guessed GC picks to provide insurance if May leaves next year. If they think he will stay i regretably think they pick Rankine and we miss out on X factor player again and draft next best mid Smith who looks like a good player but does he have the x factor or silk we need?

SaintWodonga
Club Player

If Smith plays like Josh Kelly... We should snap him up...

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

SaintWodonga wrote: Thu 30 Aug 2018 8:56pm If Smith plays like Josh Kelly... We should snap him up...
'plays like' does not mean plays as well as.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Be really interested in James G's analysis and brief. Will know in a few months.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

I'd be going for Rankine. Pace and skill is exactly what we need.
I'm assuming Lukosious goes before our pick otherwise it would be hard to pass on him.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I like Rankine too

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Always wary of the glossy writeups pre-draft.
this is knightmare's no.8 choice from one year.
"He also has an excellent mix of pace, agility and has an excellent leap, shows excellent ability to read the flight of the ball both as a forward and when played down back. excellent ability to take frequent intercept marks and marks 1v1"
Guess who?

Myron Gaines
Club Player

desertsaint wrote: Thu 30 Aug 2018 10:40pm Always wary of the glossy writeups pre-draft.
"He also has an excellent mix of pace, agility and has an excellent leap, shows excellent ability to read the flight of the ball both as a forward and when played down back. excellent ability to take frequent intercept marks and marks 1v1"
Guess who?
Hugh Goddard?

Myron Gaines
Club Player

I really rate this draft. Lukosius, Walsh, Max King or Rankine. Any of those 4 & I’ll be stoked!

guitars4
Club Player

older saint wrote: Thu 30 Aug 2018 8:48pm seems at this stage:
1. Carlton -Walsh
2. - GC- Lukosius
3. - GC - Ben King ( Lynch)
4 - Stk- Rankine

Have guessed GC picks to provide insurance if May leaves next year. If they think he will stay i regretably think they pick Rankine and we miss out on X factor player again and draft next best mid Smith who looks like a good player but does he have the x factor or silk we need?
Maybe Adelaide might end up with the No.1 pick if Carlton choose to take Mitch Mc Govern & if so I reckon they would take Lukosius, long bow I know but possible

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Pretty sure we will take Bailie Smith out of Sandy. Might depend on whether Rankine and Walsh go before our pick though.
Last edited by parkeysainter on Thu 30 Aug 2018 11:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Any chance we get Walsh?

Carlton take Lucoscious
GC take King bros
SK take Walsh

Surely GC would consider this as a pre-emptive retention manoeuvre?

Nee!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote: Thu 30 Aug 2018 11:29pm Any chance we get Walsh?

Carlton take Lucoscious
GC take King bros
SK take Walsh

Surely GC would consider this as a pre-emptive retention manoeuvre?
Yeah if I had two top ten picks that’s what I’d be doing. Two gun key position players with the added extra of being twins.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Smith
Walsh
Rankine
If we choose anyone else, we are absolutely stuffed

lefty
Club Player

Who cares, three years time we'll blame all our troubles on the player and they'll be de-listed and we'll talk about how we should of picked x,y,z instead of a,b,c.

suss
Club Player

Rankine looks unbelievable to me. Here are some highlights from one game ...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_ITx-GCsaLg

Ridic.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Thu 30 Aug 2018 10:40pm Always wary of the glossy writeups pre-draft.
Guess who?
Who?

chico2001
Club Player

Most of the young blokes are described as champions in the making until you draft them and then all of a sudden they are plodders, look no further than McCartin and even Goddard.Every now and then you jag a star such as Rewoldt. Should still pick the best player and not a position. Saints would be wise to stick with a Victorian as well or someone close by. A lot of interstate players pull the I 'want to go home trick" and there is 2-3 years of development wasted and you have to start again.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Fri 31 Aug 2018 1:43am
Guess who?
Who?
myron got it - delisted hugh.

saint64
Club Player

suss wrote: Fri 31 Aug 2018 12:34am Rankine looks unbelievable to me. Here are some highlights from one game ...

Ridic.
Seriously impressive. If he is the best available at our pick we have to take him - South Australian or not.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saint64 wrote: Fri 31 Aug 2018 3:44pm
suss wrote: Fri 31 Aug 2018 12:34am Rankine looks unbelievable to me. Here are some highlights from one game ...

Ridic.
Seriously impressive. If he is the best available at our pick we have to take him - South Australian or not.
Looking at those highlights, I doubt he makes it

wally
Club Player

GC may take the King bros in hope of keeping them together and there.
Call me a scaredy cat but if its a close call I' d go for a vic boy....Smith