Shiel return to Vic

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Re: Shiel return to Vic

Toy Saint wrote: Thu 23 Aug 2018 11:46pm Who would you prefer, Gaff or Shiel?

And would you give up our 1st draft pick?
Shiel and yes, he would cost a 1st round pick. Maybe two.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

This is now the biggest problem arising from the pox year that Richo the Dribbler and the players have just turned out. If you make yourself look like a bunch of inept spuds who are a complete rabble - you give talent (be it players and coaches) zero reason to come for you.

Think about it in a normal corporate job situation - which bright young talented candidate who's studied and grafted his/her way to a position where they can make some choices in the future career direction will ever knowingly then make a conscious choice to go and work for a crap business over a good business? It just doesn't happen.

That's why Norf's effort this year is pretty damn admirable - they've given themselves a chance at least to be in the conversation about Kelly, Shiel, Polec etc. As usual, they'll still probably not get anyone despite all the $ they'll offer but at least they've given themselves a chance to be considered.

Meanwhile - it feels like we're resorting to playing money ball ...

Go you red, black & white warriors
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Saintmatt wrote: Fri 24 Aug 2018 11:42am This is now the biggest problem arising from the pox year that Richo the Dribbler and the players have just turned out. If you make yourself look like a bunch of inept spuds who are a complete rabble - you give talent (be it players and coaches) zero reason to come for you.

Think about it in a normal corporate job situation - which bright young talented candidate who's studied and grafted his/her way to a position where they can make some choices in the future career direction will ever knowingly then make a conscious choice to go and work for a crap business over a good business? It just doesn't happen.

That's why Norf's effort this year is pretty damn admirable - they've given themselves a chance at least to be in the conversation about Kelly, Shiel, Polec etc. As usual, they'll still probably not get anyone despite all the $ they'll offer but at least they've given themselves a chance to be considered.

Meanwhile - it feels like we're resorting to playing money ball ...
We could easily do a backflip next year though. Things can turn very quickly in footy and players know that.

Collingwood and Melbourne have had many pox years before 2018 for example, but they still attracted many good players.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Yes PS - footy can turn quickly and I suspect we'd get a very quick bounce if we were to (1) Get a coach who demanded respect and drove a higher standard of performance (2) A coach who's game plan suited what we have (not what he wishes we had) (3) Drafted a gun outside mid with pick 4. I hope all of that happens.

Collingwood and Melbourne attracting "many" good players? No.

The only true gun either of those teams 'attracted' was Treloar. He's a jet but they had to pay serious overs at the time to get him.

Yes, there was Hoskin-Elliot; Varcoe; Howe; Wells and Mayne plus Hibberd; Melksham; Tyson; Lewis and Bugg at Melbourne but really - they're all just players looking for their next home. I hardly think they chose where they were ended up. They're not a whole heap different to Membrey, Bruce, Steele, Austin, Brown etc.

In reality though - both of those clubs have built the majority of their top-end talent from the draft.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Fri 24 Aug 2018 12:43pm Yes PS - footy can turn quickly and I suspect we'd get a very quick bounce if we were to (1) Get a coach who demanded respect and drove a higher standard of performance (2) A coach who's game plan suited what we have (not what he wishes we had) (3)

The appointment of Paul Roos was the catalayst for Melbourne, but it didn't change quickly. It took 4 years after Roos was appointed. Plus, as you say they also started assembling a great list through multiple high draft picks which were now under the tutelage and guidance of better development coaches

Don't understand how people can just relate our club and it's financial and structural problems with other footy clubs and just think we will turn it around after 1-2 years.

Collingwood had just won a premiership a few years earlier. That propelled them as a powerhouse club with monstrous membership numbers and the best sponsorship in the land so why wouldn't you want to go to a club with lots of surplus dollars. With a brownlow medallist and multiple All Australian and premiership players to join, Collingwood was obviously a destination club. The fact that Buckley was not the best person to get the best out of the players he had over the last few years is another thread on its own

On your last point; I think that's what happened both at the Doggies and at the Tiggs. With the Bulldogs they were assembling a fantastic list under great development coaches but it took a change to a new coach for them to finally play finals in 2015 and then they went on to win the big one the year after. Richmond also took many years and lots of finals series before they got their coaching and list management structures in the right position to suit their players style and their players strengths

Royston
Club Player

If Jake Lever was worth 2 first rounders, as was Treloar, then Dylan Shiel will cost the same.
Carlton could orchestrate this with their 1st pick, downgrading and combining the priority pick
they will receive.
There are no provisions around on trading a priority pick are there ?

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Royston wrote: Sat 25 Aug 2018 10:51am If Jake Lever was worth 2 first rounders, as was Treloar, then Dylan Shiel will cost the same.
Carlton could orchestrate this with their 1st pick, downgrading and combining the priority pick
they will receive.
Sheil is a gun, plays inside for GWS but would be equal inside and outside for us IMO.

Give whatever it takes but get Setterfield as well. IMO Setterfield will be the next big thing when fit and experienced.

First round this year and next year plus next year second round plus either Longer or Hickey for Sheil & Setterfield.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 25 Aug 2018 11:52am
Royston wrote: Sat 25 Aug 2018 10:51am If Jake Lever was worth 2 first rounders, as was Treloar, then Dylan Shiel will cost the same.
they will receive.
Sheil is a gun, plays inside for GWS but would be equal inside and outside for us IMO.

Give whatever it takes but get Setterfield as well. IMO Setterfield will be the next big thing when fit and experienced.

First round this year and next year plus next year second round plus either Longer or Hickey for Sheil & Setterfield.
Lol. 🤣

<warning for baiting>

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Sat 25 Aug 2018 1:01pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 25 Aug 2018 11:52am
they will receive.

Lol. 🤣
Reported for baiting

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
silverhalo
Club Player

Just watching the Sydney vs Hawthorn game and they showed Hannebery labouring with an injured quad - the guy is cooked, due to his crash and bash style of play, he's now got the body of a 50 year old. I would be so pissed off if we got him and give up anything better than a 3rd round pick. I don't want him to come almost as much as I want Richo to go.....almost.

Shiel.....that's a different story...the guy is all class and I'd give up plenty for him (yes first round pick).

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Shiel and Gaff heading back to Melbourne now.

The_President
Club Player

parkeysainter wrote: Wed 29 Aug 2018 8:57pm Shiel and Gaff heading back to Melbourne now.
Source?

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

So how does the equalisation salary cap money work. Every club has the same amount (over a period?) but there is enough of a pool for all the star FAs/disaffected contracted players to get the money they want without tapping into the Saints pool (? is that right), so we are left with a large short term discretionary cap we have to spend in a certain period but with nothing of real class to buy. Are we then forced to buy whatever crumbs fall from the tables of the top 8 plus the tables of the interstate clubs outside of the eight. That's the scenario I get from these threads and the media. If top shelf players can effectively choose a club and get the high salaries and contract years they are after the market is surely broken and just a real sellers market. I get that no one would choose to be coached by AR all things being equal, but surely they and their agents see he will be gone before long. An astute manager would see we have an excellent seven or eight players, a low first round pick and young guys that show real potential. If I had a good key back, ruckman, dashing defender or good mid fielder on my books I would look closely at the Saints for a longer term contract and good money. But I think the market is broken and the AFL need to get independent advice on trying to fix it. Perhaps some lower draft picks could be bought if a club doesn't snare an excellent FA/semi FA and/or there are mandatory standards imposed on CEOs and coaches so it I out of the club's hands to keep on chronic underperformers. If we get Gaff however I will reconsider my market failure hypothesis.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

The_President wrote: Wed 29 Aug 2018 9:17pm
parkeysainter wrote: Wed 29 Aug 2018 8:57pm Shiel and Gaff heading back to Melbourne now.
Source?
Myself.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Hawks

parkeysainter wrote: Wed 29 Aug 2018 10:07pm
Source?
Myself.
Seems credible

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

free agency is a absolute failure if these occur, Tom Lynch to the top side in the comp, Shield to a side that has dominated for the last decade. What's the point of a salary cap if this occurs?

groupie1
Club Player

parkeysainter wrote: Thu 23 Aug 2018 2:20pm
St Loxton wrote: Thu 23 Aug 2018 2:17pm Would be a massive get.
Perfect in fact.

But we could be last on his list.
Not if you offer a $1 mil at 7 years...plus a mansion at Brighton.
I reckon they just bite the bullet and offer Josh Kelly, Andrew Gaff, Dylan Shiel, Whitfield, Hannebury, and Lycett $$$$$$$$$$ they just can't refuse - or rather long tenure. Just let's be done with this bulls***. Once they've settled they'll renegotiate down toward the end of their contracts to stay together.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Before everyone fills themselves we need Richo sacked for these guns to consider us.

Bassat gives us some hope - can he make it happen in time though?

Let’s see what happens once the Hawks are out of the finals and we sign up Ratts - that should be the game changing time

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
minneapolis
Club Player

Source?
The radio.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Whisper is Hawthorn is leading the race for Shiel, ahead of Carlton and Essendon.

Gaff considering Nth Melbourne only. If Gaff goes to North, maybe Polec might fall into our laps. We have offered him a big contract. Furthermore, if North get Gaff and Polec then surely we get Aaron Hall.

Plus Dalhouse to the Cats is pretty much a certainty.

Tis the silly season though. Things can change and like every off season there will be some big surprises not even on the horizon yet.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

I think people are confusing free agency and it’s link to equalisation

That was not why it was introduced. Put simply it was Introduced to remove the restrictions on trade as it pertains to players and was requested by the players not the clubs

#1 Ryder fan
dragit
Saintsational Legend

My inside mail comes straight from the sauce, it's not confirmed but, apparently we are in the box seat to land a highly regarded whisper or two… I've also heard that it's actually looking very likely we land some more good operators, but then may also not happen…

You heard it here first - stay tuned!

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

dragit wrote: Thu 30 Aug 2018 2:34pm My inside mail comes straight from the sauce, it's not confirmed but, apparently we are in the box seat to land a highly regarded whisper or two… I've also heard that it's actually looking very likely we land some more good operators, but then may also not happen…

You heard it here first - stay tuned!
Geez, how original. I love getting stalked and contradicted on here by people like youself and others.
You people are so original! Your content needs an urgent upgrade!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Thu 30 Aug 2018 2:05pm Whisper is Hawthorn is leading the race for Shiel, ahead of Carlton and Essendon.

Gaff considering Nth Melbourne only. If Gaff goes to North, maybe Polec might fall into our laps. We have offered him a big contract. Furthermore, if North get Gaff and Polec then surely we get Aaron Hall.

Plus Dalhouse to the Cats is pretty much a certainty.
Perhaps just post a BigFooty Summary update each day, as most of your "whispers" seem to be whatever the flavour of the day is over there. Nothing wrong with BF, but why not acknowledge the source? ie BF Poster, CH7 , SEN etc.

That way we can all judge the credibility for ourselves. ie Some BF posters are pretty good whereas others are to be ignored.

Putting it up as your own whisper when you clearly have no one actually whispering to you is pretty pointless.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....