5 years Dan Hannebery?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Re: 5 years Dan Hannebery?

Seriously...said it before...does anyone seriously think the club won't do its due diligence on Hanners body? Of course the Saints doctors and high performance staff will. His body might be fine and he needed an operation all year. Who knows. No one does. Lethlean is not an idiot either and will not just take him on a whim.

Plus they will not pay him 800k at 5 years. That is made up garbage plus we have no idea what the Swans want yet. Lets just see how it plays out.

There is too much hysteria surrounding this possible trade.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Tue 28 Aug 2018 9:55am https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/trade- ... 359fda7b36

Saints in box seat for Hannebery.
Yes in a box alright, but it should be this one...

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Does lethers have any other mates whose sons might need to collect a massive retirement fund at the saints?

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

parkeysainter wrote: Tue 28 Aug 2018 9:33am Seriously...said it before...does anyone seriously think the club won't do its due diligence on Hanners body? Of course the Saints doctors and high performance staff will. His body might be fine and he needed an operation all year. Who knows. No one does. Lethlean is not an idiot either and will not just take him on a whim.

Plus they will not pay him 800k at 5 years. That is made up garbage plus we have no idea what the Swans want yet. Lets just see how it plays out.

You can back it in all you like mate but most supporters see it as pure madness.

As for the money, well we're about to hire Gubby Allan, architect of the damaging, expensive and needlessly lengthy deals Collingwood has done for Mayne and Wells. Deals which have threatened their cap to a critical degree. So maybe we're just not being quite as rationalor businesslike or assiduous as is warranted or necessary.

In the face of the evidence about the state of Hannebery's game, which any follower of the game can see, public comment to date and orchestrated club leaks there is every reason for St Kilda supporters to be anxious.

You run the club line in respect of 'no 5 years at 800k year'. That is just a straw man set up to justify paying him more than the 2.4m he is set to earn at the Swans over the next 3 years. It doesn't matter how it's configured, that's what we have to pay him to get him and he is not worth half that on his form over the past two years, his drug strikes, his attitude and his lamentable kicking. A pass on the physical is the very least of our worries.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Hemi Baxter wrote: Tue 28 Aug 2018 12:03pm
parkeysainter wrote: Tue 28 Aug 2018 9:33am Seriously...said it before...does anyone seriously think the club won't do its due diligence on Hanners body? Of course the Saints doctors and high performance staff will. His body might be fine and he needed an operation all year. Who knows. No one does. Lethlean is not an idiot either and will not just take him on a whim.

You can back it in all you like mate but most supporters see it as pure madness.

As for the money, well we're about to hire Gubby Allan, architect of the damaging, expensive and needlessly lengthy deals Collingwood has done for Mayne and Wells. Deals which have threatened their cap to a critical degree. So maybe we're just not being quite as rationalor businesslike or assiduous as is warranted or necessary.

In the face of the evidence about the state of Hannebery's game, which any follower of the game can see, public comment to date and orchestrated club leaks there is every reason for St Kilda supporters to be anxious.

You run the club line in respect of 'no 5 years at 800k year'. That is just a straw man set up to justify paying him more than the 2.4m he is set to earn at the Swans over the next 3 years. It doesn't matter how it's configured, that's what we have to pay him to get him and he is not worth half that on his form over the past two years, his drug strikes, his attitude and his lamentable kicking. A pass on the physical is the very least of our worries.
Agree. PS must be a very naive person.

It's the appeal to authority or appeal to expert fallacy.

The club has a track record in making poor decisions and management can't be trusted.

For example:

Lovett
McCArtin
Docklands deal
Seaford
Richo's extension
Appointment of Watters
Letting Ross Lyon go.
etc etc etc.

and that is just off the top of my head.

It's been reported that we're chasing Menzel as well. We might as well have retained Trout if we're going to be making these type of recruiting decisions.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
CarlD
Club Player

Who is driving the potential recruiting at present? If it is Lethlean, doesn't he have bigger fish to fry? If not, he needs to weed out the so and sos who seem hellbent on leading St. Kilda into oblivion (admittedly based on media gossip).

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Hemi Baxter wrote: Tue 28 Aug 2018 12:03pm

Each to their own whether they think Hanners is a good fit, but its incorrect to say the club will just make a call on a whim.

Anyway, we can argue or whinge on here like it makes a difference as the decision will come down to Gallagher and Lethers. They are more qualified and have more info than any of us.

If we get Hanners then I will be backing him 100% from Round 1.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

If we give anything more than a second rounder for Hanneberry we are being lead by idiots of unprecedented levels.
If we use our first rounder - I really think I would finally walk away.

Nee!
Hemi Baxter
Club Player

Not suggesting that it will be on a whim, quite the reverse, carefully calculated, but am suggesting at its most basic that using high draft picks even in an exchange of those picks to acquire a player with shocking form over a long period is not sensible. I'm also suggesting that the football manager's close personal relationship with family of the player, the other club is trying to offload, represents a clear conflict of interest.

You would hope that every supporter wishes the best for every player on the list all the time.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

If I was trying to fold our club, I would:

• Keep Richo coaching.
• Spend big coin on a very average ruckman.
• Spend even bigger coin on a midfielder who hasn't played well in years, has battled chronic injuries and was never a very good kick.
• Chase a forward who has had 3-4 knee recos and doesn't tackle for a long term deal.
• Trade out our best player.
• Trade out Billings &/or Acres for a peanut.
• Play Nate Brown every week unless injured.
• Make Mav Weller captain & sign him up long term.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Hemi Baxter wrote: Tue 28 Aug 2018 4:27pm . I'm also suggesting that the football manager's close personal relationship with family of the player, the other club is trying to offload, represents a clear conflict of interest.

You would hope that every supporter wishes the best for every player on the list all the time.
Exactly. With SOS at the Blues he excluded himself from any decisions re his son being taken or not asa Father Son Selection.

In addition to the conflict of issue matter, it also makes it much more likely that "rose coloured glasses" will kick in where the player gets valued at being better than he is.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

AA 2013 2015 2016.

There are never bad AA's. To say he has never been a good or is just an average player is an outright lie which has been mentioned on this thread.

Who knows..if he can get his body right then why couldn't he recapture that form?
Last edited by parkeysainter on Tue 28 Aug 2018 5:00pm, edited 3 times in total.

Saint wagga
Club Player

dragit wrote: Tue 28 Aug 2018 4:35pm If I was trying to fold our club, I would:

• Keep Richo coaching.
• Spend big coin on a very average ruckman.
• Spend even bigger coin on a midfielder who hasn't played well in years, has battled chronic injuries and was never a very good kick.
• Chase a forward who has had 3-4 knee recos and doesn't tackle for a long term deal.
• Trade out our best player.
• Trade out Billings &/or Acres for a peanut.
• Play Nate Brown every week unless injured.
• Make Mav Weller captain & sign him up long term.
This is almost unbearable to read Dragit!!I’m hopeful Lycett can be a good ruck for us and flourish as a leading big man, but you clearly don’t rate him at all dragit and that concerns me! I really hope we don’t pick up Menzel and Hannebery! We have a ready made 3rd tall in membrey. He just needs Bruce/mccartin/Marshall to demand more attention. It’s s sorry state of affairs

CarlD
Club Player

What would be most useful to the Saints? - pacy, skilful outside midfielders and a quality ruckman.

Which boxes does Hannebery tick - none. A coherent game plan and targeted what if strategies (eg the opposition starts to get a run on) would be more beneficial than whatever leadership talents Hannebery can bring to the table.

In my view, Brisbane currently have a more talented young brigade than the Saints and I can see the merits of bringing Hodge in to help them structure up down back (Hodge is coaching material). I do not see Hannebery in that class.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

fugazi wrote: Tue 28 Aug 2018 4:18pm If we give anything more than a second rounder for Hanneberry we are being lead by idiots of unprecedented levels.
If we use our first rounder - I really think I would finally walk away.
I never thought I would agree with a radical statement like this.. but I would too. My unwavering unrequited love for the club actually has a breaking point which I genuinely never thought was possible.. but I would lose all faith

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Star Swan set to join duo in Giant final - http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-28/sta ... iant-final

Well, when you play less than half the game with 2 injuries and you're not completely match fit then most players will only get 12 touches.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Tue 28 Aug 2018 10:18pm Star Swan set to join duo in Giant final - http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-28/sta ... iant-final

Well, when you play less than half the game with 2 injuries and you're not completely match fit then most players will only get 12 touches.
So much clarity and objectivity.

A beautiful thing.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

The Recruit
Club Player

We will trade our compensation pick from the afl for Hannebery.
For once the rigged AFL league will work in our favour.
He will be a good get. With our current player payments the money is neglegable. Get him fit he will be a very good player that will make us competitive again.
We need to be competitive if we want the really big fish in 2020.

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

Compensation for what?

brewski
Club Player

Unless we get him for free not worth our time............. he's more cooked than me leathery roast

Banned by the censors
saintbob
SS Life Member

If we give up a 4th round pick and they pay 3/4 of his salary then I’d be happy to take him.

If we pay anything more we are absolute FUCKWITS!!!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Tue 28 Aug 2018 9:33am Seriously...said it before...does anyone seriously think the club won't do its due diligence on Hanners body? Of course the Saints doctors and high performance staff will.
err Freeman and Paddy both say hi

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

People give way too much credit to AFL clubs.. they’re for the most part extremely stretched resources wand rely on AFL money. AFL clubs administration is very poor...