So who was that for

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

So who was that for

Was it for the coach
Was it for themselves
Was it for the board

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Re: So who was that for

Cairnsman wrote: Sat 18 Aug 2018 11:18pm Was it for the coach
Was it for themselves
Was it for the board
For everyone!

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
freely
SS Hall of Fame

Might even have been a little bit for us!

ace
Saintsational Legend

For the supporters.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Sat 18 Aug 2018 11:18pm Was it for the coach
Was it for themselves
Was it for the board
CleRly Board .....players always play for the Board.... :roll:

“Yeah….nah””
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Looked to me like the players took control of the planning for this game. Had a totally different feel to a Richo prepared game.

Nee!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I doubt it. Seriously where did that effort come from? After we were 24 down early in Q3 I thought here we go, it's time to give up. Where did the fight come from? Which player or players said Nup, I'm choosing to fight this week. Name names.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote: Sat 18 Aug 2018 11:37pm Looked to me like the players took control of the planning for this game. Had a totally different feel to a Richo prepared game.
It’s survival time , futures time players did this for themselves not cause they love Alan ffs

“Yeah….nah””
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote: Sat 18 Aug 2018 11:39pm
fugazi wrote: Sat 18 Aug 2018 11:37pm Looked to me like the players took control of the planning for this game. Had a totally different feel to a Richo prepared game.
It’s survival time , futures time players did this for themselves not cause they love Alan ffs
What a load of crap. They all played a great game against a current top 4 side just for survival...get real.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Sat 18 Aug 2018 11:41pm
What a load of crap. They all played a great game against a current top 4 side just for survival...get real.
I’d prefer if you didn’t read or respond to my posts as you’re clearly not all ther upstairs pretending to be an ITK and laughably attacking Jaxons who has runs on the board. Stick to you’re inane drivel but leave me out of it
Oh and btw - this time of year brings up some weird footy results because lots of people are trying to survive.....grow up

“Yeah….nah””
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Audition for Brett Ratten

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 18 Aug 2018 11:44pm
I’d prefer if you didn’t read or respond to my posts as you’re clearly not all ther upstairs pretending to be an ITK and laughably attacking Jaxons who has runs on the board. Stick to you’re inane drivel but leave me out of it
Oh and btw - this time of year brings up some weird footy results because lots of people are trying to survive.....grow up
lol

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Stop making stuff up. ITK...lol. Attackig Jaxons...lol.

You just can't handle the side put in an effort for everyone tonight.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

It was man-on-man for most of the night, none of that zone crap. Hawks like to keep possession and we made it difficult for them.

philtee
Club Player

Loved the chasedowns, the run to position, the belief, the physicality, the pressure, that all made
Hawthorn look like just another side. (And the Hawks were being tipped as serious rivals to Richmond).
Some of the usual faults came to the surface, but it was the best they've played for a month, and it came
out of the blue. Members around me on Level 3 all surprised at the intensity, but light years happier than
last two weeks.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Sat 18 Aug 2018 11:50pm

Yes I’m furious that the side played a good game for individ7al reasons....
St Kilda......the masters of together ...seperately...

“Yeah….nah””
takeaway
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Sat 18 Aug 2018 11:59pm

So when we play badly it is all Richo's fault, and when we put in a good 4 quarter effort it is nothing to do with the coach but the players playing for survival, most of whom are contracted next year at least? Outstanding analysis.

guitars4
Club Player

Great effort clearly we were the better team out there tonight but the result pretty much sums up the history of the St.Kilda Football Club .We accept mediocrity because we know no no different. We should have won that game tonight the only reason we didn't is because they are Hawthorn & we are St.Kilda they know how to get it done & we don't

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

If I’m in that team and bit of a fringe guy,and a lot are, I’m 100% playing for survival!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Much, much better effort.

I know I shouldn’t be, but I’m happy with that even though we didn’t get the chocolates.

chico2001
Club Player

True, that's their pay packet right there. Some of those players wont be there next year and others have to earn their dough or be moved on as well. It happens to all clubs who dont make the 8 and especially those in the lower quartile.It;s called getting real.The new recruits dont come into it, they are just happy to get a game and will make the cut.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sun 19 Aug 2018 12:19am
Teflon wrote: Sat 18 Aug 2018 11:59pm

So when we play badly it is all Richo's fault, and when we put in a good 4 quarter effort it is nothing to do with the coach but the players playing for survival, most of whom are contracted next year at least? Outstanding analysis.
So let’s turn your theory around.....
The players decided they love Alan so much they waited till second last game of the year to show up? Some genius in that thinking....
Regardless who they play for or dont it doesn’t matter one iota - we flogged Richmond a year ago and haven’t fired a shot since this coach can not consistently get the best out of this side and yes some players need to go as well and will.
But let’s not pretend a brilliant game plan just suddenly appeared.
It also doesn’t matter if a player is contracted....many will want to show a new employer they’re worth it....already strong rumours Dunstan and Acres want out but we’ll leave it to football tacticians like you to tell us all is good with the coaching after another loss...

“Yeah….nah””
maverick
Saintsational Legend

We played well because their pressure was down, simple as that.
Our kamikaze game plan falls apart under sustained pressure as soon as we have time and space we appear to be ok.

Still couldn't score in the last qtr though and our structures throughout the game were completely haphazard

Look at all the games we won or played well in except round 1

Gws
Melbourne
Hawthorn
Even
Richmond
And Gold Coast in the last qtr

Pressure was down from the oppo
Last night was not an improvement

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

What an odd thread.

Firstly, Footballers don't play for people, literally.

The concept of 'playing for the coach' isn't meant literally.
It means that they believe in what the coach is saying, trust his methods, respect his strategy basically subconsciously throw everything they've got at whatever he says.

You can love a coach as a bloke, but not play for him. And you can hate a coach as a bloke and still play for him.

And secondly, we lost didn't we?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

When your game plan is based around pressure and Kamakaze play on at all costs, it seems to come together a handful of times per year against sides who aren't quite switched on.

These games are the exception not the norm, so let's not kid ourselves that this vindicates richo in any way.

Kudos to the players for cracking in and giving their all.

Now sack richo so we don't lose any good young players at the end of the year.