Scott Lycett vs Braden Preuss

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Royston
Club Player

Scott Lycett vs Braden Preuss

Is Lycett any good ?....not hard to be better than the two incumbents, Messrs Hickey & Longer...but is he really going to be a great strong ruckman for us.

I haven't seen a lot of him to be honest...but if what I have read here is somewhere near the mark of 5 years / $700k per year then Wow...he must go okay.

Is Lycett a free agent?

Is Preuss gettable?...$700k is big money for us. Can Preuss be targeted from North with an attractive long term offer of $500k / 5 yrs, leaving a bit in the bank to target another free agent ?

We need to upgrade Hickey and Longer, lets hope we are successful...

damienc
Club Player

Re: Scott Lycett vs Braden Preuss

Restricted free agent.

Weagles said to be targetting A. Sandilands as a replacement for Nic Nat.

Sounds like they aren't counting on Lycett to be in Perth 2019.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Wed 15 Aug 2018 10:37pm Restricted free agent.

Weagles said to be targetting A. Sandilands as a replacement for Nic Nat.

Sounds like they aren't counting on Lycett to be in Perth 2019.

Though PA are also chasing Lycett so it appears that StKilda are in race of two.

Lycett will want to go as:
- WCE will not offer him anything near id $$ or length of contract
- WCE will prefer Nic Nac when back from his ACL.

That PA still have Ryder will perhaps make him favour he Saints.

PS:
Gaining Lycett only really makes sense to me if the Saints are confident of being able to trade Longer and/or Hickey for picks and/or players.
This gains a minor ruck upgrade PLUS picks/players

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
chico2001
Club Player

That is very attractive money for Preuss, has hardly played a senior game.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Lycett is very mobile and can play forward.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

We need to be conscious of when these guys are going to hit their peak - it is no good getting one of them for a tilt next year - just not going to happen.

But for my 2c - Preuss would be the only option I could see as a success.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Thu 16 Aug 2018 8:59am We need to be conscious of when these guys are going to hit their peak - it is no good getting one of them for a tilt next year - just not going to happen.

Agreed. Preuss has enormous upside. Don't know how ambitious he is, or whether he has the mental toughness to be the number 1 ruck for 22 games a year, but he's worth talking to. What is his fitness like? How many games does he normally play in a whole year - both AFL and VFL?

saint6709
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Thu 16 Aug 2018 10:27am
Sainter_Dad wrote: Thu 16 Aug 2018 8:59am We need to be conscious of when these guys are going to hit their peak - it is no good getting one of them for a tilt next year - just not going to happen.

Agreed. Preuss has enormous upside. Don't know how ambitious he is, or whether he has the mental toughness to be the number 1 ruck for 22 games a year, but he's worth talking to. What is his fitness like? How many games does he normally play in a whole year - both AFL and VFL?
I would be happy to move out (trade hopefully)Longer and Hickey and work with Pierce and Preuss - Preuss could be amazing from what I've seen and if Pierce is given a sniff he could improve rapidly - stilll only 23 - must have had some tough years getting very little love from the club as 3rd or 4th in line

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

We don't need Lycett, and certainly not at $700K a year(!) We currently have Louey and The Marshall. Watch these bloke show us a rosy future in the next two games. And then there's Lazar's man, Hickey.

Should we get an offer to good to refuse for Tom, then I reckon we should bring back big Jason, or look at Preuss.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
SaintWodonga
Club Player

Huddo reporting Lycett is coming, I think an improvement.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/08/18/ ... to-happen/

Host of SEN’s Crunch Time Anthony Hudson believes West Coast ruckman Scott Lycett is Moorabbin bound.

Lycett is out of contract at the end of the year and has been linked to a move back home to South Australia, but Hudson said St Kilda’s offer is too good for the big man to refuse.

“It sounds like Scott Lycett (to St Kilda), that is to me, going to happen,” Hudson told SEN’s Crunch Time.

“I think their offer is significantly greater than that of West Coast and Port Adelaide.

“So I think that’s likely to happen.”

Lycett has played every game for the Eagles this year and has taken over the number one ruck role with Nic Naitanui suffering an ACL tear.

The 25-year-old would likely be West Coast’s go-to guy for most of next year too with Naitanui on the sidelines if he stayed.

Hudson added he believes Hawthorn assistant and former Carlton coach Brett Ratten will land at the Saints as well.

“It does sound like Brett Ratten is very likely to go there,” Hudson said.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
older saint
SS Life Member

The worry is Preuss has been playing reserves footy most of the year.
Lycett not a superstar but could be a Darren Jolly type ruckman when he went to Sydney.

Geelong were looking at Longer as a crash and Bash ruck , but that was before Stanley hit a purple patch.

Reality is i couldn't image better than 3rd rounders for either Longer or Hickey.

jaxons
Club Player

Lycett is coming.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

jaxons wrote: Sat 18 Aug 2018 4:18pm Lycett is coming.
To where? The flicks? Pub?
Stop talking in riddles.

I would love him to come btw. Can you confirm?

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Myron Gaines
Club Player

parkeysainter wrote: Sat 18 Aug 2018 5:25pm
Stop talking in riddles.

I thought his post was obvious? Lycett is coming to the Saints.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Myron Gaines wrote: Sat 18 Aug 2018 5:37pm
parkeysainter wrote: Sat 18 Aug 2018 5:25pm
Stop talking in riddles.

I thought his post was obvious? Lycett is coming to the Saints.
Sweet. Anthony Hudson seems to think so too. 👍

https://www.zerohanger.com/reports-lyce ... eal-22918/

saint6709
Club Player

This Thread seemed to stop when it was thought Lycett was coming - maybe he is but what I want to know is Is There Any Chance We Can Get Preuss ?? And does anyone know if we are trying ? and If not why ???

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

To the best of my memory there hasn't been any noise come out of the club that suggests we are after a ruckman in this trade period. Statements have been made to the effect of wanting high end talent and experience, those two attributes are probably interchangeable. Have I got that correct?

And after Richo's comments regarding Goddard you can probably rule out the club chasing backline players.

And I reckon you can rule out KP forwards being a target so you get a feeling it will be mids, mids and more mids on the wish list.

saint6709
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote: Wed 22 Aug 2018 8:06pm To the best of my memory there hasn't been any noise come out of the club that suggests we are after a ruckman in this trade period. Statements have been made to the effect of wanting high end talent and experience, those two attributes are probably interchangeable. Have I got that correct?

And after Richo's comments regarding Goddard you can probably rule out the club chasing backline players.

And I reckon you can rule out KP forwards being a target so you get a feeling it will be mids, mids and more mids on the wish list.
I also thought there had been some serious interest ( or rumours of interest ) re chasing Lycett - so a ruck and some mids ?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote: Wed 22 Aug 2018 7:22pm This Thread seemed to stop when it was thought Lycett was coming - maybe he is but what I want to know is Is There Any Chance We Can Get Preuss ?? And does anyone know if we are trying ? and If not why ???
Lycett is at least a FA. Pruest you have to trade for and we IMO have more urgent needs than marginal improvements in our ruck division.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote: Wed 22 Aug 2018 8:32pm
Cairnsman wrote: Wed 22 Aug 2018 8:06pm To the best of my memory there hasn't been any noise come out of the club that suggests we are after a ruckman in this trade period. Statements have been made to the effect of wanting high end talent and experience, those two attributes are probably interchangeable. Have I got that correct?

I also thought there had been some serious interest ( or rumours of interest ) re chasing Lycett - so a ruck and some mids ?
But have there been any actual comments from club officials in the media stating we are chasing a ruckman?

I've heard comment's from Lethlean and Richo stating we are in the market for high end talent/experience but can't recall statements from them regarding a ruckman specifically and it's debatable Lycett or Preuss fits the high end/experienced category.

saint6709
Club Player

Ok cheers - i like the idea of the highend/experienced criteria - as long as they stick to the high end part of it and don't just settle for experienced or kid themselves about what high end is --- having said that I hope they deviate at least once and look at Preuss - a gamble perhaps but he could be game changer and potentially improve the team more than just a bit - my opinion only and not having seen him live 🙂🙃

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Forget Lycett - he's going to Port.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saint6709
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Wed 22 Aug 2018 8:59pm
saint6709 wrote: Wed 22 Aug 2018 7:22pm This Thread seemed to stop when it was thought Lycett was coming - maybe he is but what I want to know is Is There Any Chance We Can Get Preuss ?? And does anyone know if we are trying ? and If not why ???
Lycett is at least a FA. Pruest you have to trade for and we IMO have more urgent needs than marginal improvements in our ruck division.
We trade out a ruck - maybe some sort of a sweeteener - but it wouldn't be a major issue I wouldn't think - ruck for a ruck - I think he's gotta be more than a marginal improvement

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote: Thu 23 Aug 2018 8:55am
We trade out a ruck - maybe some sort of a sweeteener - but it wouldn't be a major issue I wouldn't think - ruck for a ruck - I think he's gotta be more than a marginal improvement

He if was the second, you would not get him for the first.

Looking at his VFL stats this year he goes ok in the HO's but does not do a lot around the ground.

http://websites.sportstg.com/team_info. ... 2-26138796