Consider Trading Billings

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Re: Consider Trading Billings

saintadamski wrote: Mon 13 Aug 2018 6:51pm
parkeysainter wrote: Mon 13 Aug 2018 6:24pm
derby Street wrote: Mon 13 Aug 2018 6:19pm
saintadamski wrote: Mon 13 Aug 2018 5:57pm
CURLY wrote: Mon 13 Aug 2018 5:07pm
dragit wrote: Mon 13 Aug 2018 4:33pm
damienc wrote: Mon 13 Aug 2018 2:54pm We probably also need a new coach but that is another story in another thread.
The two are intrinsically linked…

Billings had 11 disposals and 2 goals in the first quarter on Friday playing on a wing, the guy was on fire… so what do our coaching panel do?

Move him deep forward.

The thing we lack the most on the list is what Billings has - class, poise, vision and elite ball use.

Lunacy even thinking of trading him, we only have a handful of potentially elite players… how about we keep them instead?

Even worse is the fact it's not the team rule to give it to him by hand everytime hes around so we can use his elite footskills. Blokes like Brown Geary Armitage Marshall just refuse to hand it off.
Elite Foot Skills?!?!?!!
Have you actually seen him play a game over the last 3 years??? hahahahah

I think a trade for Billings is a great idea.
Great OP - soft as a wet rag, can't kick straight under pressure, and perhaps still some value at the trade table.
So what is it? No good but he is still some value at the trade table. And yes he does have elite field kicking foot skills (except goal kicking) have you seen him play over the last 3 years????
The bloke just posts s*** and bags out the entire club.
No mate - you post delusional rubbish about this faultless list of ours.
It's not amazing, it's mostly shite, after some of the most inept recruiting and management seen in years.

Yes...let's stick with this amazing list and see what happens. I'm sure you'll keep posting how much potential guys like Billings have with every pathetic season that rolls past.

I'll never 'bag out' guys like Long, Gresham, Ross, Membrey, Steele and a few others....because they show something on at least a semi consistent basis.

We're at the bottom of the ladder with not a leader or star in sight, a game plan that doesn't work, and a coaching group that is pathetic....YES I WILL CRITICISE IT....because unlike you, I don't stick my head in the sand thinking that guys like Billings or Newnes or whomever else, will ever take this club further.

...and as for Billings, the only reason he has value at the trade table is because of another club's view that he may have 'unrealised' potential, that would be realised if they listed him.
I personally think they would end up being sorely disappointed
Lol. Settle down Turbo.

At least you had something nice to say about a player or two. About time.

Billings is still in our best players and will be going forward. His is 22/23. To purposely trade him off is plain ludicrous and stupid. Thank god some on here don't make big calls on our list. Err. 🤮

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Ned Stark
Club Player

Billings not a play maker? Isn’t he top 5 in the comp for score assists? That’s pretty much the definition of playmaker. But sure, let’s trade him for a late first rounder and then draft someone we hope will be as good in 3 years time. Meanwhile, Essendon or Hawthorn laugh all the way to the bank.

Sanctorum
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Mon 13 Aug 2018 3:54pm No. He’ll be a superstar at Essendon, slotting them from everywhere and taunting us for the next decade.

What we need is a coaching set up that gets the most out of the talent that Billings has.

That Gresham has, that Acres, Clark, etc have.
Agree with you Big Carl!

Billings is like Seb Ross, is taking a long time to get his act together, I'm convinced he'll have a break-out season in 2019, especially under the guidance of the new assistant coaches that the club is promising to bring on board to "make Richardson the best possible coach he can be".

Likewise Acres, Dunstan, Clark, Gresham, Steele, Sinclair, Long, Freeman and Phillips all of whom have a lot of improvement in them to provide the team with an elite mid-field, equal to the best in the AFL.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
older saint
SS Life Member

I tend to think , like with many players - under the current structure and coach players such as Billings, Acres, Dunstan, even my whipping boy Newness - do not have their assets maximised and forced to play a role which they can do, but isn't their strength and therefore output is average at best.

Much rather see them go " Ok Billings - strengths are X,Y,Z - how do we get the best out of these and how does it complement the other guys we have" rather than at the moment " i saw richmond play this way so we will do it even though we don't have the personnel"

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Billings is probably our most important player at the moment. When he and Jack Steven both play well we usually win. Steven breaks the lines with his run and Billings with his left foot. He is probably the closest we have to a Matt Suckling for his field kicks. I'd rather trade Carlisle before I trade Billings. That would be interesting wouldn't it...

Hey Jake we're looking at trading you to Adelaide mate because they want to swap draft picks and players with Saints plus give us a second round pick as well as Mitch McGovern who wants out of Adelaide. How do you feel about that Jake?

Viscount Jeremiah
Club Player

No way.

His upside is so big we would be crazy to trade him now

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

older saint wrote: Mon 13 Aug 2018 8:22pm I tend to think , like with many players - under the current structure and coach players such as Billings, Acres, Dunstan, even my whipping boy Newness - do not have their assets maximised and forced to play a role which they can do, but isn't their strength and therefore output is average at best.

Much rather see them go " Ok Billings - strengths are X,Y,Z - how do we get the best out of these and how does it complement the other guys we have" rather than at the moment " i saw richmond play this way so we will do it even though we don't have the personnel"
Do you deliberately spell Newnes name incorrectly? Is it a reference or a joke I don’t get? It’s one of those things that really stands out and didn’t know.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
minneapolis
Club Player

Our team is lacking in highly skilled players. We only have a few and Jack Billings is one of those.

He needs to be praised, consulted and developed. Not traded away because the rest of the team is playing poorly.

If you watch him you can easily see that he is a very good kick. Some of his kicks miss the target which goes to results not talent.

Kicking for goal can be practised. Even Casboult improved his kick at goal. If Levi can do it from such a low base, Jack can.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
Tommyj
Club Player

So you like Ross don't think you watch games his foot skills are s***

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I would trade Billings for a player as good as Dylan Shiel (and no older than Shiel) or for a top 3 draft pick. We're not going to get that for Billings so we should keep him. At his peak he should be a 25 disposal per game, 35 goal per year half forward. I have no faith in the current coaching group to develop him to that point so I hope we get some coaches in soon who can develop him or I have a bad feeling we could lose him to Essendon for pick 20 in a year or two.

Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

takeaway wrote: Mon 13 Aug 2018 5:47pm Billings is a very good player, and would be regarded as a gun if he sorted out his goal kicking. He will sort that out. Exactly the type of player we should retain because of his skills - we have too few players in that group. A good side would be getting it to him more often to use his skills. He has been very good since his game in the twos and coming into his prime. Lunacy to trade him unless he is desperate to go.
+1

Billings is one of the few players we have that might command a place in one of the top 8 teams.

Trading him now would be like trading Dal Santo in 2004.

David-Lee
Club Player

I need to be very clear....there is not a single player on the list that should not be shopped around if we can improve. Bundle a few together for picks or a better player.

Seriously. Theres plenty of lads that we like and some are faithful servants and some are full of potential but when I look at the list theres not a single name that I'd say no way to dealing up.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

David-Lee wrote: Tue 14 Aug 2018 9:48pm I need to be very clear....there is not a single player on the list that should not be shopped around if we can improve. Bundle a few together for picks or a better player.

Seriously. Theres plenty of lads that we like and some are faithful servants and some are full of potential but when I look at the list theres not a single name that I'd say no way to dealing up.
You barrack for Essendon so that is totally understandable.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Billings is the least of our problems.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Spud wrote: Mon 13 Aug 2018 5:33pm
thejiggingsaint wrote: Mon 13 Aug 2018 3:59pm
bigcarl wrote: Mon 13 Aug 2018 3:54pm No. He’ll be a superstar at Essendon, slotting them from everywhere and taunting us for the next decade.

What we need is a coaching set up that gets the most out of the talent that Billings has.

That Gresham has, that Acres, Clark, etc have.
Spot ON!
THIS!

And all that will happen is we trade him out and draft a player with half his ability, I just don’t get that. Let’s see what a new coach could do for our list. We don’t want to throw out the baby with the bath water.
So true.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I've had a change of mind...but ONLY if it gives us more of a chance to land Walsh or Rankine

Could we possible target GC's #3 compo pick or try and swap first round picks and give them extra players?

We could also simply trade a package of ready made players - Billings + Mav Weller + Shane Savage - they give us pick 2

chico2001
Club Player

Who is going to want a package of St Kilda players for a trade? Billings is tradeable but no point because you would get a similar type in return. When was the last time st Kilda attracted a big name player who actually performed at a high level for a number of years. F.Gehrig was one but he was out of form at the WCE and they let him go but they got D.Kerr as trade, so who won that one? S.MIlne was another. The downside of this club is that because they cant win on the field and they have a poor reputation as a club, no star footballer worth his salt is going to come to this club, I include gaff, McGovern and all the others who will just look the other way. We got Carlisle who is starting to show the petulant non chasing attitude that he showed at the bombers, Jack Steele a player who could not get a game with a strong GWS and is now a tagger. D.Roberton who was no star at Freo and really blossomed at the saints, Membrey from the Swans, a good player but no star when he made the move and thats about it.

The saints have to work on getting the bargains who turn into good players as per above, once they have won 9/10/11 games then they can strike out for a WA based victorian or a GWS reject. Surely their are 2nd tier players at Richmond et al who have players who want a good deal. I hope that last years draft picks come good, really good because they will need them and more. A fair crop of the saints current foot soldiers wont get us up the ladder.

lefty
Club Player

Trading Billings would have to be one of the most idiotic dumb brainless stupid s*** ideas I've ever heard.

If you said Longer then fine, but f*** that, I'm not trading a decent player for some bloke that probably gets de-listed few years later - ie Tom Lee

The club needs to work on development, pure and simple.Improve the assets you have, not some quick fix bring in player x,y,z he'll be the savior type nonsense. Dal is 100% right, our development of players is pure crap.

David-Lee
Club Player

dragit wrote: Tue 14 Aug 2018 9:50pm
David-Lee wrote: Tue 14 Aug 2018 9:48pm I need to be very clear....there is not a single player on the list that should not be shopped around if we can improve. Bundle a few together for picks or a better player.

You barrack for Essendon so that is totally understandable.
The rise of the silly Billy.....you have no genuine idea who or what I do or dont support. However, the Bombers are not a team I give anything.

Regardless, I stand by my assessment that no single player we have right now is so valuable to our future success that they should be excluded from a trade IF it brings us a better return.

Usually we are poor at trading, not seen as a destination club and fail to land targets. Occassionally we have done great trades.

But we lack the genuine club first capacity and have tripped over sentiment when we could have gained by trading agreeing stars who still had appeal. At present no one player is so integral that we can not live without them.

The Recruit
Club Player

Need to keep billings

Ape_Man
Club Player

Under our current system we can't develop players.

If we trade under 23 year olds to use for 18 years olds, won't history just repeat?

I can just see this place in 3 or 4 years lamenting how badly we drafted. Again.

It's our system. Change has to happen from the top.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

After tonight's game....CLOSE THIS THREAD!

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Viscount Jeremiah
Club Player

That pass to Paton for a goal was awesome

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Hope the rumours aren’t true about Billings but terrible if he’s family are putting pressure on him to leave.

If Essendon want him they will have to cough up.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

He played too well against the Hawks. Richo will fix that by having him play as small forward role again next week.

Seriously if you look at his better games over the last two years he has been up the ground setting up play and our forwards. It is not rocket science Richo!

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....