Pierce - Good game No 2

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

takeaway
Club Player

Re: Pierce - Good game No 2

kosifantutti wrote: Sat 11 Aug 2018 11:06am
saintsRrising wrote: Sat 11 Aug 2018 10:50am
realdeal wrote: Sat 11 Aug 2018 10:25am
Beat an inform Bellchambers and provided a presence throughout.

👍
Statistically Bellchambers has a pretty deacent year:
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pg- ... llchambers

...and Pierce made this one of Bellchambers worst for the year.

In only his second AFL ever I personally think he gave a very creditable performance.

I also like the way he worked really hard at it, often throwing himself into packs etc.

Longer supposedly our best tap ruckman at the Saints in his 5 games only exceeded his tapout tally in one game. And around the ground Billy could only dream about playing like Pierce did.

Billy in his 5 games this season took 5 marks in total. Pierce took 5 marks in this game alone.

Billy in his 5 games this season had 31 disposals in total. Pierce had 18 disposals in this game alone.
But does he have presence?
No, he doesn't. But he should develop some if Billy stays around to teach him. You can't compare Billy's figures this year, he has not been fit. Try the years he played most of the season.

In any event, Billy is out of contract so may be traded. I would rather trade Hickey.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Pierce has started very well..

rodgerfox wrote: Sat 11 Aug 2018 12:10pm

Just on Marshall though....fair dinkum he is a 'dumb' footballer. Some of his decisions are perplexing. And it'd be nice if Dixon can teach him to concentrate when kicking for goal too. His eyes dart around and look everywhere except at the target and the ball throughout his entire run up.

Dude, once you've decided to have a shot - concentrate on the job at hand FFS. Very basic stuff.

I agree (though he has only played 11 games), but this is also where our poor coaching is obviously an issue and it is all our players and not just Marshall.

Everyone knows that our players approach to goal-kicking is an issue, and has been for some time. But yet when you look at our players there is not discipline in how they go about goalkicking.

The numbers of players who run in and arc to end up kicking it straight, but because they are facing the wrong direction when they make contact to only see it go straight through fora point is amazing.

That Billings and Gresh both played on when in short range for an easy punt through again shows lack of enforced discipline from the coaches.

Membrey marked very well yesterday, BUT every time he stopped and took ages to decide what to do which meant all team-mates were covered. When kicking for goal you know if Membrey will have a good or bad day based on his body language. When he looks happy and confident he kicks goals. When he looks nervous and sideways, you just know that his accuracy will be off.

Jack Steven continually does useless one/two metre handballs that achieve little.

Back on Marshal. With better coaching I believe that he would blossom into a good ruck/forward.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Re: Pierce has started very well..

saintsRrising wrote: Sat 11 Aug 2018 12:57pm

Back on Marshal. With better coaching I believe that he would blossom into a good ruck/forward.
FWIW, I think that applies to plenty of our guys.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

bobmurray wrote: Sat 11 Aug 2018 12:04am Judging Pierce for the whole game, i wasn't that impressed, in fact, i could see why they dumped him to the rookie list.

we don't have a quality Ruckman.

you can see why McPhee got the arse, our midfield s work is ordinary.

You can see why Trout was booted.

our recruiting has been shite.
18 possessions, 27 hitouts, 3 clearances and he was only on the field for 79% of the game. s*** you're hard to please

portosaint
Club Player

Had a dozen hit outside to advantage. There were some pearlers in there.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sat 11 Aug 2018 12:57pm . You can't compare Billy's figures this year, he has not been fit. Try the years he played most of the season.

In any of Billy's years his average disposals and marks have not been good.

Only in one year did he average more HO's...and that was in his fifth year at AFL Level

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc- ... lly-longer

Now admittedly Billy is only 18 months older than Pierce, but last night was at least promising and I will be very interested to see how he goes in the next two games.

He may dud out, be similar, or be even better. At least it will give me something to watch out for in our last two games.

If, and it is an IF, he shapes up after two more games as rucks is something that we have an excess of if a club is willing to trade something half-way reasonable to Longer or Hickey or even both them I would go for it.

takeaway
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Sat 11 Aug 2018 1:06pm
takeaway wrote: Sat 11 Aug 2018 12:57pm . You can't compare Billy's figures this year, he has not been fit. Try the years he played most of the season.

In any of Billy's years his average disposals and marks have not been good.

Only in one year did he average more HO's...and that was in his fifth year at AFL Level

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc- ... lly-longer

Now admittedly Billy is only 18 months older than Pierce, but last night was at least promising and I will be very interested to see how he goes in the next two games.

He may dud out, be similar, or be even better. At least it will give me something to watch out for in our last two games.

If, and it is an IF, he shapes up after two more games as rucks is something that we have an excess of if a club is willing to trade something half-way reasonable to Longer or Hickey or even both them I would go for it.
Agree. I was really talking only about Billy's HO, Pierce is probably already better around the ground. Hope he makes a good fist of the next two games after a good start.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote: Sat 11 Aug 2018 1:05pm 18 possessions, 27 hitouts, 3 clearances and he was only on the field for 79% of the game. s*** you're hard to please
SECOND game of AFL football and people are whinging, what is worth complaining about is why we haven't had a better look at him in what 6 years?

maverick
Saintsational Legend

That was the best game by a st Kilda ruckman for the year hands down.

The_Merchant
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote: Sat 11 Aug 2018 11:31am
HitTheBoundary wrote: Sat 11 Aug 2018 11:14am Was stunned to hear Richo say that he hasn't seen him play all year.
Yet another reason to be saying “sayonara Richo”
To be fair, he hasn’t seen him live. I reckon he has seen him plenty on video. Do we really want our head coach going to watch Frankston live to see one player? I reckon what we have done with Pierce this year is great and his performance reinforces the plan to send him somewhere that he can play as the number one ruck every week.

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you.
realdeal
Club Player

Maybe we should send more players to other clubs to actually develop.... :?

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

realdeal wrote: Sat 11 Aug 2018 1:50pm Maybe we should send more players to other clubs to actually develop.... :?
Me that have some merit. Maybe the AFL could go EPL style and allow clubs to loan players. We could give our draftees to another club for a couple of seasons then get them back when they're ready to go.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

The_Merchant wrote: Sat 11 Aug 2018 1:42pm
thejiggingsaint wrote: Sat 11 Aug 2018 11:31am
HitTheBoundary wrote: Sat 11 Aug 2018 11:14am Was stunned to hear Richo say that he hasn't seen him play all year.
Yet another reason to be saying “sayonara Richo”
To be fair, he hasn’t seen him live. I reckon he has seen him plenty on video. Do we really want our head coach going to watch Frankston live to see one player? I reckon what we have done with Pierce this year is great and his performance reinforces the plan to send him somewhere that he can play as the number one ruck every week.
He looked like a number one ruckman in last nights game.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Greg T
Club Player

Really good kid,showed a bit,surprised he s been on our list that long,shame he's just another underdeveloped kid like Marshall and battle

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
roman
Club Player

Saint wagga wrote: Sat 11 Aug 2018 10:37am Really impressed with Pierce and think he looks like he’s ready to be our no.1 ruck. Looks a bit like big boy Neve ou the way he covers the ground. Had put on some good bulk, showed good hands, had composure with ball in hand, took a few handy marks, more than held his own in the tucking duels...Richo said it was the first time he saw him live in 2018...damning and pathetic excuse! This guy should be our ruckman in 2018, no more stuffing around. He can play at afl level.
Yes, how's it possible that this is the first time Richo has watched him live this year ? !
Is he for real ?? !!

vacuous space
SS Life Member

I figure Pierce looking merely competent would have made our match committee look bad, given the mediocrity we've put up with in the ruck. The fact Pierce was as good as he was makes me really angry. The season was gone by the midway point. Why have we waited to the last month of the season to get a look at him?

You know it's going to happen next week too. After a season where we've played a half-fit Brown at times I fully expect Goddard to come in and look at least competent. It's been one of the running themes under Richo. Old C-graders and D-graders are auto-selections, regardless of their form. Young players are held to a different standard.

The other one was the handling of Paton. Because why wouldn't you bring in a first gamer only to leave him on the bench for most of the first quarter? When he actually got onto the field, we left him forward (-14 in the i50s BTW). I'm sure we'll find a way to drop him next week for Mav Weller's shadow, or something.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote: Sat 11 Aug 2018 3:27pm I figure Pierce looking merely competent would have made our match committee look bad, given the mediocrity we've put up with in the ruck. The fact Pierce was as good as he was makes me really angry. The season was gone by the midway point. Why have we waited to the last month of the season to get a look at him?

You know it's going to happen next week too. After a season where we've played a half-fit Brown at times I fully expect Goddard to come in and look at least competent. It's been one of the running themes under Richo. Old C-graders and D-graders are auto-selections, regardless of their form. Young players are held to a different standard.

The other one was the handling of Paton. Because why wouldn't you bring in a first gamer only to leave him on the bench for most of the first quarter? When he actually got onto the field, we left him forward (-14 in the i50s BTW). I'm sure we'll find a way to drop him next week for Mav Weller's shadow, or something.
So what the f*** would have happened had Hickey not got injured? It is only one game but Pierce may be our ruckman for the next 5-8 years and twice as good as any of the others but we wouldn't even have had a look at him in the seniors and he would have been delisted.

The coaches and admin need to go now. This is just f****** bulls***.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
BenLong#21
Club Player

I think Longer and Hickey are officially trade bait.

Both might end up decent players elsewhere but they arent developing at our club which is a grave yard for hopes and dreams of young players.

Well done to young Lewis taking his chance.
Last edited by BenLong#21 on Sat 11 Aug 2018 3:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote: Sat 11 Aug 2018 3:27pm
Plus that Paton has mainly played more back and midfield in the VFL (or at least in the games I saw).

Small forward role is a bit of graveyard for inexperienced players.

BenLong#21
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Sat 11 Aug 2018 3:38pm
vacuous space wrote: Sat 11 Aug 2018 3:27pm
Plus that Paton has mainly played more back and midfield in the VFL (or at least in the games I saw).

Small forward role is a bit of graveyard for inexperienced players.
Even worse that Ben doesnt play there in the VFL so isnt even VFL standard as a small forward.
Seriously the coach is a complete numpty.
What position are we coaching Ben to be good at?
Unbelievable.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

He looks like a combo of Hickey and Longer which is ideal. I still can't imagine why they got rid of Holmes either. He was better at directing taps down than Hickey and Longer and supposedly was a liability outside the ruck contests.....I think that pretty much sums up Longer too.

Anyway, Pierce and Marshall looked a good set up.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote: Sat 11 Aug 2018 3:52pm He looks like a combo of Hickey and Longer which is ideal. I still can't imagine why they got rid of Holmes either. He was better at directing taps down than Hickey and Longer and supposedly was a liability outside the ruck contests.....I think that pretty much sums up Longer too.

Anyway, Pierce and Marshall looked a good set up.
Yeah, I would go for that for the last two games, so I guess the coaches will drop one of them. :roll:

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

For Richardson to say he hasn’t seen the guy live in 2018 is an appalling indictment of his (Richardson’s) work methods.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Have been saying for years Pierce that will be the best of them. He did very very well and has improved his physicality in the contest - however he made some bad mistakes last night in terms of his positioning to ensure Bellchambers didn't get the ball to certain spots. Also some of Pierce's taps went to Bellchambers hit zone - which was good work by Bellchambers to force it there when he didn't have hs body in position for the drop zone. StoneCold may agree or not but I believe that there is more to work with on a young Pierce but he is definitely worth a spot and dedicated coaching.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

See this performance by Pierce is absolute proof that Richo CANNOT coach.

As pointed out above, second game = 18 possessions, 2 marks, 27 hitouts... close to the best performance of a ruck in our colours this season.

Where on earth has this kid been. On the verge of being delisted after what... 5 odd years, are we saying this kid has been thoroughly tested and can’t play!!??

Absolutely not.

COmpletely promising and full of potential but cant get a game ahead of the Hickey/Longer jaggarnaut.

Would not have played a game barring injury

Absolute disgrace.

If i was Richo, I wouldn’t play him again, delist him and pray that no one else picks him up and exposes Richo for the fool he has been